LAKERS OR SIXERS UNDER MORE PRESSURE IN DRAFT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who’s under the most pressure to nail it on Draft night, the Sixers or the Lakers?
LAKERS
24%
 24%  [ 26 ]
SIXERS
75%
 75%  [ 81 ]
Total Votes : 107

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
NBA.com experts are really down on Russell.

I believe the problem with Russell is about expectations. He had a good scoring output for spurts, but this is what you expect from someone like Hield another tall guard that is not supposed to defend or run an offense, but provide scoring with his shooting. The next Magic Johnson and "passing savant" really did a disservice and if you add up Byron Scott effect this stuff really had a deep impact over his rep.

Personally I could enjoy Dlo skill set the moment I completely gave away the notion he is a PG that will run an offense and create for others and started to look at him like someone that will score and keep the ball moving. It gave me a perspective of a better player than the slow PG with poor AST/TO ratio I was observing before.

With all the hype over Booker, if you forget about the PG of the future (bleep), Dlo was clearly the best guard of his class.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
NBA.com experts are really down on Russell.

I believe the problem with Russell is about expectations. He had a good scoring output for spurts, but this is what you expect from someone like Hield another tall guard that is not supposed to defend or run an offense, but provide scoring with his shooting. The next Magic Johnson and "passing savant" really did a disservice and if you add up Byron Scott effect this stuff really had a deep impact over his rep.

Personally I could enjoy Dlo skill set the moment I completely gave away the notion he is a PG that will run an offense and create for others and started to look at him like someone that will score and keep the ball moving. It gave me a perspective of a better player than the slow PG with poor AST/TO ratio I was observing before.

With all the hype over Booker, if you forget about the PG of the future (bleep), Dlo was clearly the best guard of his class.

I agree. NBA 'experts' tend to miss a lot of detail. In spite of Scott DLO was the best guard in his class. Did any of the 8 rookies ranked above DLO have to deal with getting yanked for 'trying to take over a game?' So happy Scott's gone.

Under last year's regime we had an iso heavy offense requiring DLO to pass the ball to Hibbert and watch as the play broke down and somebody like Williams would finish with an iso foul and-1 effort, all game long if Scott had his way. I think that masked DLO's value in the PG role a lot. Not that it matters, he is a combo guard and teams with two good combo guards are thriving these days.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how DLO, Clarkson(or Derozan?), Ingram/Simmons, Randle, Nance and others mesh in Walton's offense. I think it'll be the first time we get an unobstructed, real assessment of DLO's value to this team. Same for Tarik Black and a few others as well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakers draft rumors: No chance Brandon Ingram gets past Los Angeles at second overall, according to report

Quote:
rumors concerning how the Los Angeles Lakers will use the second overall pick are flying fast. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has said that the team does not plan to trade their first rounder, but there have still been reports that the team could swap it for other players.

If the Lakers hold to their plan and draft a player with the second overall pick, it will likely be one of two teenage forwards: Brandon Ingram of Duke, or Ben Simmons of LSU, whichever one the Philadelphia 76ers pass on with the first pick. Bryan Colangelo and the Sixers front office are reportedly leaning towards selecting Simmons, which would leave the Lakers with Ingram.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/5/27/11799742/la-lakers-draft-rumors-brandon-ingram-second-overall
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I'd be really upset with someone else.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

Who are the Sixers? Most of the world wants to know.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

We assume that the team drafting first would be under the most scrutiny initially, but since we are the Lakers, we will be placed under a microscope. It's par for the course.
Philly not so much because they are an afterthought. Look at the way media drug DLO through he mud and critiqued every move he made.
There will certainly be pressure before and after the draft on both FO's and the picks. The ramifications will reverberate for years to come with player development being a crucial factor.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

The Faceman wrote:
We are. No one expects anything from the Sixers because they've always sucked outside of the Iverson years. We're a championship franchise and it is expected that we get back there eventually.

Somebody has forgotten the championship in 1983 led by Dr. J and Moses Malone. There was also a championship in 1967 that had a certain player named Wilt Chamberlain.

--Anonymous
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Quote:
The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.--Abraham Lincoln

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

22 days and counting!

Two differing styles of tanking and different trains of thought will converge on Draft Night and culminate with the Lakers & Sixers selecting what they feel will be their best option moving forward.

The 2016 NBA Draft will be huge and the pressure will be intense based on future ramifications for the Lakers and Sixers. Both picks could produce franchise-changing stars but there are no guarantees.

The Sixers have to get it right with the first pick. While the Lakers pick at #2 may seem somewhat anti-climatic to some however the selection is just as exciting and just as important.

With only three more weeks before D-Day,,, the expectations are high and the heat is on!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

76ers Have Shopped Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor To At Least 15 Teams
JUN 2, 2016 8:56 PM

The Philadelphia 76ers have shopped Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor to "at least 15 teams" as they look to get the best deal.

With Joel Embiid expected to finally be healthy and their anticipated pick of Ben Simmons, the 76ers are attempting to balance out their roster.

Discussions between the 76ers and Atlanta Hawks on a Noel for Jeff Teague trade surfaced on Thursday.

Philadelphia is also including Nik Stauskas and Robert Covington in the deal.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242112/76ers-Have-Shopped-Nerlens-Noel-Jahlil-Okafor-To-At-Least-15-Teams
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

The Faceman wrote:
We are. No one expects anything from the Sixers because they've always sucked outside of the Iverson years. We're a championship franchise and it is expected that we get back there eventually.

I know I'm showing my age here, but there were also the Julius Erving/Moses Malone years and the Wilt Chamberlain years.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

2016 NBA Draft: Teams Under the Most Pressure to Hit Big

*HINT: LA & Philly at the top of the list

Quote:
Why do NBA teams pour so many of their resources into the draft? Why do they spend so much time, money and effort scouting players around the world, poking and prodding them at the combine and private workouts, and deliberating whom to choose?

Because the science of draft selection is at once anything but exact and yet critical to the long-term health of an organization. How a front office fares in late June can swing the fate of a franchise.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2644253-2016-nba-draft-teams-under-the-most-pressure-to-hit-big
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Since Ingram impressed with his workout/interview surely a Philly workout will be forthcoming.
This performance definitely gives them something more to ponder. I believe it puts even more pressure on Philly to get it right.

Especially since Simmons hasn't worked out with anyone yet.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

vakobe wrote:
The Faceman wrote:

I know I'm showing my age here, but there were also the Julius Erving/Moses Malone years and the Wilt Chamberlain years.

Fo fo fo.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Trying to figure out where the Sixers go from here

Quote:
It won't be long now until the Sixers get to pick first in the NBA draft and take either Ben Simmons (most likely) or Brandon Ingram, both of whom have played one year in college. Which is the same amount of time their last three picks, all taken in the top six, spent as an undergrad. Simmons or Ingram could be the key to the future, the guy who really helps get the Sixers back to whatever in maybe a few years.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Trying-to-figure-out-where-the-Sixers-go-from-here.html#tyt2oGYxvFgaZwLu.99
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Duke's Brandon Ingram to workout for Sixers, report says

Quote:
Whether it is just due diligence or the decision has yet to be made on whether the front office is leaning towards LSU forward Ben Simmons or Ingram, the workout and private meeting is noteworthy.

Ingram and Simmons have long been considered the top two prospects in the NBA Draft lasted for June 23 and the Sixers hold the No. 1 overall selection.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2016/06/nba_draft_2016_dukes_brandon_ingram_to_workout_for.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
vakobe wrote:
The Faceman wrote:

Fo fo fo.

The great Moses Malone!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Sixers and Lakers contemplating picks-

*SI's 2016 NBA Mock Draft roundtable
Quote:
SI.com assembled five writers—Andrew Sharp, Ben Golliver, Matt Dollinger, David Gardner and Jeremy Woo—to take part in a Mock Draft roundtable and select players as if they were the team's GMs.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/15/nba-mock-draft-roundtable-76ers-lakers-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram

*Lakers draft rumors: Sixers get first meeting with Ben Simmons, according to Marc Stein
Quote:
Philadelphia 76ers finally got their first meeting with the prospect they are reportedly "leaning heavily" towards selecting in next week's 2016 NBA Draft. Marc Stein of ESPN reports that Philadelphia had their first "face-to-face" meeting with projected first overall pick Ben Simmons on Thursday.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/6/17/11963856/la-lakers-draft-rumors-sixers-ben-simmons-meeting-workout

* L.A. Would’ve Targeted Brandon Ingram With First Overall Draft Pick
By Corey Hansford -
Quote:
At this stage it looks like Philadelphia is set on Simmons, leaving the Lakers with Ingram at number two. That scenario may be exactly what the Lakers have wanted all along.

According to Jonathan Givony of The Vertical, the Lakers would have targeted Ingram even if they had the first overall pick.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-l-a-wouldve-targeted-brandon-ingram-with-first-overall-draft-pick/2016/06/17/

*As Draft nears, Sixers debate over Simmons, Ingram
Quote:
"You can make an argument either way, that Brandon Ingram would fit well and that Ben Simmons would fit well," Colangelo said. "That's the discussion, those are the conversations that we're having to try to determine not just which player will ultimately have the better career and achieve a higher status, but which player is the best fit as well. It's a combination of things for us. Simmons is the consensus choice of rival teams, No. 1 in the latest NBA.com mock draft, some support remains for Ingram to be the first name off the board next Thursday, and the only vote that matters has not been cast. The 76ers, Colangelo said, are still contemplating.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/06/15/decision-day-nears-for-sixers-simmons-or-ingram/

*Sixers Can't Get Top-Five Pick for Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel More Valuable
Quote:
Trade value is an abstract concept at best because the assumed value is entirely theoretical. A player's worth is only truly determined by what you actually receive back in a trade, otherwise you're just making assumptions and playing a guessing game. This is an important thing to note as Sixers trade rumors heat up in the week leading into the draft.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/6/16/11957196/nba-trade-rumors-jahlil-okafor-top-five-pick-nerlens-noel
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 2h2 hours ago
Steve Kyler Retweeted MACC
I have spoken to agents sending their guys to LA, and all of them say the Lakers adamant they have not decided yet.Steve Kyler added,
MACC @macc503
@stevekylerNBA @Kobe31124 I thought Jonathan givani from @TheVertical said lakers locked in on Brandon Ingram ? Conflicting reports 🤔

MACC
‏@macc503
@stevekylerNBA @Kobe31124 @TheVertical so reports are conflicting ..hmmmm
7:29 AM - 18 Jun 2016
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: