What do we do with the 32nd pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think "safe" choices would be:

GPII
Brogdon

I would love GPII. However if 32 is too high for him, we could just buy another pick and pick him up there.

Perhaps. But he seems like a Larry Nance type of pick to me, someone who just comes right in and contributes. Brogdon IMO could be a cheaper and younger Afflalo.

I'd look to shore up our defense on the perimeter.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
pio2u wrote:
We need a big/rim protector.

This is my hope because it's our biggest need. A.J. Hammons would fit us perfectly because he has arguably the most NBA ready body in the draft which means he should be able to come off the bench for us this season and make an immediate impact. Second choice would be Chinanu Onunaku.

The second major need for us is backcourt defense. We don't have even one guard on our team that can play stand-out defense. Russell, Clarkson, Williams, Young, Huertas if he returns, are all league average at best. Gary Payton II needs to work on his jumper, but he's a freak athlete and looks to fill an Avery Bradley/Tony Allen role in the NBA immediately. Second choice would be Malcolm Brogden.

Sacre is a better option than Hammons.
Hammons is a much better rim protector and shooter. He has potential as a stretch 5.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think "safe" choices would be:

GPII
Brogdon

I would love GPII. However if 32 is too high for him, we could just buy another pick and pick him up there.

Perhaps. But he seems like a Larry Nance type of pick to me, someone who just comes right in and contributes. Brogdon IMO could be a cheaper and younger Afflalo.

I'd look to shore up our defense on the perimeter.

Maybe something like Nick Young+32 for 40 to draft one of those guys
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Chinanu Onuaku

Gives a mobile modern C with solid potential.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
Chinanu Onuaku

Gives a mobile modern C with solid potential.

Isn't that Black's skillset and role?

Onuaku has potential, I just prefer adding another type player if possible.

Maker has upside potential, Qi has shooting and rim protection, Hammons has size and skills, Stone and Jones are talented and athletic. All have weaknesses of some kind.

Going to be interesting on which type they decide to select at #32, if a center at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I think I'd rather roll with Black/FA center and use the 32nd pick on getting a good perimeter defender like Brogdon/GP2, or a foreign stash pick.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think I'd rather roll with Black/FA center and use the 32nd pick on getting a good perimeter defender like Brogdon/GP2, or a foreign stash pick.

I'm greedy. I want both.

Give me center of Walton's and Kupchak's choice at #32 and buy a 40's pick to add GPII or Brogden.

I agree having that defensive tenacity would be beneficial in practice dogging/inspiring Russell and Clarkson. For the center position I want a free agent/Black /#32 trio.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm greedy. I want both.

Give me center of Walton's and Kupchak's choice at #32 and buy a 40's pick to add GPII or Brogden.

I agree having that defensive tenacity would be beneficial in practice dogging/inspiring Russell and Clarkson. For the center position I want a free agent/Black /#32 trio.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

I'm just keen on getting tougher in the backcourt. We have a bunch of finesse players in DLO/JC/Lou as of now.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather package the #32 with a fist full of dollars and take one of Atlanta's first round picks. If they're trying to save cap space for Horford, dispatching the 32nd pick to Europe might motivate them.

Note: The 12th overall isn't all that pricey, but it would save Atlanta a couple of million per season if they get rid of it. Atlanta is a fairly penurious franchise.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm greedy. I want both.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

I'm just keen on getting tougher in the backcourt. We have a bunch of finesse players in DLO/JC/Lou as of now.

Isn't Ronnie Price a free agent?

Actually only half kidding. If the Lakers decide to move on from Huertas or are able to move young it creates a roster spot for either a rookie like GPII or a free agent.

Some solid backup PGs that play decent defense. Norris Cole, Bayless or Price. Maybe Sessions? I share your concern and think it can be resolved. I just prefer the second 2nd round pick path the best.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'd rather package the #32 with a fist full of dollars and take one of Atlanta's first round picks. If they're trying to save cap space for Horford, dispatching the 32nd pick to Europe might motivate them.

Note: The 12th overall isn't all that pricey, but it would save Atlanta a couple of million per season if they get rid of it. Atlanta is a fairly penurious franchise.

Seeing as how ATL seems to be rebuilding now, I don't really see why they would get rid of a decent lottery pick for that.

I mean I would do it in a freaking heartbeat because that's a pick where we can draft a potential starting Center but not sure why the Hawks would do it.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Atlanta is a fairly penurious franchise.

Now there's a nice turn of phrase.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

They could've traded Teague for cap space if all they wanted to do was save money.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

For you Thon Maker fans: he's not shown in the first round of the vertical mock draft
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I still say we trade it for a future pick.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Why?

Most you can get is a top 20 protected first round pick if you're lucky. We're not good enough that we can just pass on drafting guys. We can get a good player right now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why?

Most you can get is a top 20 protected first round pick if you're lucky. We're not good enough that we can just pass on drafting guys. We can get a good player right now.

We have enough young players on the roster for now and only one first round pick in the next 3 drafts. Though I think it would be for a future 2nd rounder.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Anatomy-of-a-Successful-Second-Round-Pick-5604/

Interesting stats on 2nd round picks.

Interesting indeed.

International big, undersized guards/shooters, and college juniors/sophomores.

Zhou Qi, Ulis are #32 candidates.

Utah has 3 second rounders; Boston has five. It is possible to buy a late pick if the Lakers like somebody.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Isaiah Cousins could be that dark horse pick at 32. Here's what "Finch" has to say:

Quote:
"He might be the one kid everyone is missing on. He was as hard a worker as Buddy Hield was. Nothing is ever gonna bother him. That kid's a stud. I don't know if he's talented enough, but he's tough as s---. He'll take big shots. He's getting a lot of late buzz, and he should. He could go early second round, which for a kid who was at Portsmouth, that's a pretty big jump."

tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

But aren't we going for Horford as well. Why would we help thier chances of resigning him?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Atlanta has one first round pick and two second round picks.

They have the 21st pick in the first round. That pick gets paid $1.3 million. Empty roster spots count against the cap as the rookie minimum (not as zero), so getting rid of the pick probably only saves them $700,000 or so.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

They have the 21st pick in the first round. That pick gets paid $1.3 million. Empty roster spots count against the cap as the rookie minimum (not as zero), so getting rid of the pick probably only saves them $700,000 or so.

Atlanta has 2 first rd picks now after trading Jeff Teague. 12th and 21st.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject:

$20,000,000......Paul Millsap
$8,550,000........Tiago Splitter
$5,239,437........Kyle Korver
$3,850,000........Thabo Sefolosha
$3,333,334........Mike Scott
$2,708,582........Dennis Schroder
$2,281,605........Tim Hardaway Jr
$1,000,000........Walter Tavares
$874,636...........Lamar Patterson
$18,000,000......Al Horford (Cap Hold)
$1,931,900........#12 Rookie Salary Scale (Cap Hold)
$1,249,800........#21 Rookie Salary Scale (Cap Hold)

$0......................Kirk Hinrich
$0......................Kent Bazemore
$0.......................Mike Muscala
$0.......................Kris Humphries

-------------
$69,019,294

If Atlanta wants to move some more salary, then perhaps Splitter and the rights to #21 to the Nets in July.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject:

I would like to see stone with 32 I watched a lot of Maryland he is good. Then I would like to see a later pick for Payton and maybe we can't teach him to shoot but be a cooper type defensive stopper off the bench. Another guy that is interesting is whitehead
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
activeverb wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Atlanta has 2 first rd picks now after trading Jeff Teague. 12th and 21st.

Yeah, and Atlanta is one of the poorer, and by necessity perhaps, financially-careful franchises. Anyone who follows the Hawks knows that their plans are always somewhat fuzzy; if they are indeed in rebuild as someone suggested, they wouldn't be trying to sign a 30 year old center to a long-term contract, at least with the assets they have on their roster.

If we developed a list of franchises who might be persuaded to part with a first rounder for $3 million and an early second, Atlanta would definitely be on that short list.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: