What do we do with the 32nd pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

tom wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'd rather package the #32 with a fist full of dollars and take one of Atlanta's first round picks. If they're trying to save cap space for Horford, dispatching the 32nd pick to Europe might motivate them.

Note: The 12th overall isn't all that pricey, but it would save Atlanta a couple of million per season if they get rid of it. Atlanta is a fairly penurious franchise.

But aren't we going for Horford as well. Why would we help thier chances of resigning him?

It wouldn't increase their chances of signing him. They are constrained by a max contract; if they have decided to keep Horford, they'll offer him the max. The stripping of assets won't affect their contract offer. Nor are we the only game in town, if they decided to sell a first round pick, they'll simply find another buyer.

The bottom-line is that they are more financially motivated than most franchises, and a high second rounder has value as they can draft a Euro and have him develop off-payroll in Europe.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
tom wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'd rather package the #32 with a fist full of dollars and take one of Atlanta's first round picks. If they're trying to save cap space for Horford, dispatching the 32nd pick to Europe might motivate them.

Note: The 12th overall isn't all that pricey, but it would save Atlanta a couple of million per season if they get rid of it. Atlanta is a fairly penurious franchise.

But aren't we going for Horford as well. Why would we help thier chances of resigning him?

It wouldn't increase their chances of signing him. They are constrained by a max contract; if they have decided to keep Horford, they'll offer him the max. The stripping of assets won't affect their contract offer. Nor are we the only game in town, if they decided to sell a first round pick, they'll simply find another buyer.

The bottom-line is that they are more financially motivated than most franchises, and a high second rounder has value as they can draft a Euro and have him develop off-payroll in Europe.

Atlanta is trying to free up cap space to add talent so Horford re-signs. With the Teague trade they accomplished that. They aren't going to firesale the #12 pick just to save a paltry $1.9 million in cap space that they may not even use.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
tom wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Atlanta is trying to free up cap space to add talent so Horford re-signs. With the Teague trade they accomplished that. They aren't going to firesale the #12 pick just to save a paltry $1.9 million in cap space that they may not even use.

There is no one at #12 who will make a meaningful contribution, at least in terms of Horford's remaining peak. After the first 7 or so picks, the stock of draftees look like rotational players, and the few with good upside (Skal, DMurray) look like they'll take years to develop. It isn't a terrible draft, but in terms of star power it probably dies after the second pick, and in terms of gambling on drafting a quality starter, the risk really climbs after the first 7 or so picks. Knowing how Atlanta has waffled on roster planning in the past, it would make sense to approach them.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

Jake Fischer ✔@JakeLFischer
Several teams have entirely ruled Thon Maker out of the first round due to his age. Multiple sources believe Maker to be 21-23, not 19.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Several teams have entirely ruled Thon Maker out of the first round due to his age. Multiple sources believe Maker to be 21-23, not 19.

Yikes, if true, and with the age advantage he couldn't dominate younger competition...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Woah!?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

And the Legend of Thon Maker continues to grow.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
And the Legend of Thon Maker continues to grow OLD.

FIXED
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

there are a lot of good toolsy centers in his range anyway, there's really no reason to take a big risk with Maker. Not saying he can't be good, but lets not act like he's the most rare talent of all time.

I'm really hoping the Lakers are at least interested in Patrick McCaw, I love his upside.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Thon Maker is this year's Robert Upshaw (minus the excess baggage).

DO IT (again) MITCH!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
pio2u wrote:
We need a big/rim protector.

This is my hope because it's our biggest need. A.J. Hammons would fit us perfectly because he has arguably the most NBA ready body in the draft which means he should be able to come off the bench for us this season and make an immediate impact. Second choice would be Chinanu Onunaku.

The second major need for us is backcourt defense. We don't have even one guard on our team that can play stand-out defense. Russell, Clarkson, Williams, Young, Huertas if he returns, are all league average at best. Gary Payton II needs to work on his jumper, but he's a freak athlete and looks to fill an Avery Bradley/Tony Allen role in the NBA immediately. Second choice would be Malcolm Brogden.

Sacre is a better option than Hammons.
Hammons is a much better rim protector and shooter. He has potential as a stretch 5.

He is an underachiever, enjoy that.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

Maybe we could trade up to a late 1st rounder for Cheick Diallo or Brice Johnson. Would complete our roster for a backup big.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

I'm sold on Gary Payton II
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Absolutely no to Hammonds. He's going to be out the league after his rookie deal. No desire.

I mean if you can trade up to 12, you do it. From 32?? The quality and potential you're getting there is much more intriguing.

Beasley, Poeltl, Sabonis and in a couple years Skal. I would take those 3 and consider Skal as a lottery risk for some cash and the 32. Sabonis and Beasley in addition to Ingram is unreal in my eyes. That would be amazing.

Longtime LG lurker.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
Absolutely no to Hammonds. He's going to be out the league after his rookie deal. No desire.

I mean if you can trade up to 12, you do it. From 32?? The quality and potential you're getting there is much more intriguing.

Beasley, Poeltl, Sabonis and in a couple years Skal. I would take those 3 and consider Skal as a lottery risk for some cash and the 32. Sabonis and Beasley in addition to Ingram is unreal in my eyes. That would be amazing.

Probably over 50% of 2nd round picks are out of the league after their rookie deals. Do you want somebody who will be able to contribute something during that period or simply rot in the D-League? That's Hammons' advantage. Immediate contribution. You won't get that from Thon Maker, Zhou Qi, or Stephen Zimmerman.

Let me ask you, which of our young prospects are you going to trade to move up to 12? Russell, Randle, or Clarkson? They're the only assets the Lakers have to offer to even remotely move up to acquire that pick. Lou Williams and the 32nd pick won't even get Atlanta to answer our phone call.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

These mocks are all over the place one has us getting prince the other stone. I actually love both and if somehow we were able to get both it would be amazin. Prince stone Brogdon siakam Payton would love to end up with 2 of them to go with Ingram it would make for an amazing draft
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Maker will definitely be at 32 if the rumors are true that he's anywhere between 21-23, rather than 19. Even if he is available there, it's concerning that his game needs a year or two to mature. Rather go after a safer prospect at 32, if available (Jones from Vanderbilt, Johnson from UNC).
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:

Probably over 50% of 2nd round picks are out of the league after their rookie deals. Do you want somebody who will be able to contribute something during that period or simply rot in the D-League? That's Hammons' advantage. Immediate contribution. You won't get that from Thon Maker, Zhou Qi, or Stephen Zimmerman.

Let me ask you, which of our young prospects are you going to trade to move up to 12? Russell, Randle, or Clarkson? They're the only assets the Lakers have to offer to even remotely move up to acquire that pick. Lou Williams and the 32nd pick won't even get Atlanta to answer our phone call.

It was a hypothetical in response to a previous poster. I agree that most 2nd rounders are gone and it's a complete crap shoot. The whole draft is that. I was merely saying if Atlanta wants the 32 and is taking back Lou or Nick in a purely salary dump type fashion and we get the 12th and Tiago Spliter or Korver. You do it instantly.

Longtime LG lurker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: