Have you ever seen a Laker out and about?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipotleattack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Saw Sasha at a bar in Manhattan Beach. This was when he was out of the league about 3 years ago, training to get back to the NBA. Then he got picked up by the Knicks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
SweetP wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Chris Mihm and Bynum many times while rehabbing my shoulder at Kerlan/Jobe. I actually broke the news here on LG about Bynum working out on a treadmill for the first time before it was in the news.

Saw Pau walking into a Sushi restaurant here on the Westside right before he left the Lakers. After putting the pieces together, I'm pretty sure he was going into a lunch meeting about signing with the Bulls.

Met Magic Johnson at a Raiders game at the Coliseum many years ago (plus I was sitting next to Willie Brown).

Wilt Chamberlain getting out of his car (a VW Bug) at UCLA when I was a kid.

Elden Campbell walking along the 3rd street Promenade.

Rick Fox stopped at a red light next to me, driving a Ford Ranger when he was doing those ads - and at a bunch of club swim meets. His daughter swims for a team that competes against my daughter's.

Mitch at a Dodgers game.

Used to fill Chicks car up all the time when I worked at a gas station as a teenager.

Shaq driving a convertible Bentley in Sherman Oaks when he was on the IR - we yelled for him to get better soon and he smiled nodded and gave a thumbs up.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

How cool, did you talk Lakers and hoops with him at all?
Very very cool. I wouldn't even know what to say to chick.

I'd be like, "Hey Chick, careful with the mustard if you're gonna try the hotdogs here."
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Chris Mihm and Bynum many times while rehabbing my shoulder at Kerlan/Jobe. I actually broke the news here on LG about Bynum working out on a treadmill for the first time before it was in the news.

Saw Pau walking into a Sushi restaurant here on the Westside right before he left the Lakers. After putting the pieces together, I'm pretty sure he was going into a lunch meeting about signing with the Bulls.

Met Magic Johnson at a Raiders game at the Coliseum many years ago (plus I was sitting next to Willie Brown).

Rick Fox stopped at a red light next to me, driving a Ford Ranger when he was doing those ads - and at a bunch of club swim meets. His daughter swims for a team that competes against my daughter's.

Mitch at a Dodgers game.

Used to fill Chicks car up all the time when I worked at a gas station as a teenager.

Shaq driving a convertible Bentley in Sherman Oaks when he was on the IR - we yelled for him to get better soon and he smiled nodded and gave a thumbs up.

Damn. That's awesome. Lucky you.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I live on the East Coast (DC area) but:

-Knew Steve Blake in college (University of Maryland). As a student I worked in the athletic department so was acquainted with him and communicated with him quite a bit. Funny, down-to-earth guy.

(At the same school would also see LaRon Profit out and about quite a bit and playing pickup ball at the rec center, though I didn't know him.)

-Saw Magic Johnson at the (now closed) H20 club in the Waterfront area of DC the night of the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight several years ago. The club was one of the very few places in DC showing the fight closed circuit and he had a whole section of the club closed off to himself (and his people) to watch the fight.

-Ran into Antawn Jamison at a Best Buy in Northern Virginia literally 5 minutes down the street from where I live back when he played for the Wizards. He was with some young lady and buying a crapload of DVDs.

-Used to see Kermit Washington working out a couple times a week at a local Gold's Gym in Northern Virginia... even chatted with him a couple times without knowing who he was at the time. He was always there with his wife (short, busty, older, Asian lady). I believe he's originally from the DC area but he stopped coming a few years ago so may have moved out of the area. Nice guy - always smiling.

-Ran into Pau Gasol at the Miguel Cotto/Sergio Martinez fight at Madison Square Garden in NYC a couple of years ago. Ran into him after the fight outside MSG as he was leaving. Got him to sign a boxing glove.

Last edited by Osei on Tue May 31, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Mitch at a Dodgers game.

?? How does a Wilt Chamberlain get out of a VW bug? (or in one for that matter)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I met Kwame Brown at a Mexicali restaurant I think around 2006. He was there for a birthday. I was there with some buddies just getting drunk. At one point, a bunch of us were waiting in line to use the bathroom (one toilet bathroom) and Kwame comes up and goes "aw man! is this the line for the men's room?!" My friend at the end of the line says he can cut in front of him if he beats him in paper rock scissors, but if he loses, Kwame has to buy him a drink. Kwame proclaims that he is the Paper Rock Scissors master and proceeds to beat my friend 2 out of 2. He then makes a similar challenge to all of us and proceeds to go down the line, 1 by 1, beating ALL of us in paper rock scissors. I was the last guy he beat. We applauded him and he gave me a handshake hug before going into the men's room. A few things stuck out to me:

1. The dude is (bleep) huge.
2. He's really friendly and engaging. i can see why teammates liked him. For all his timid body language on he court, he owned the room off of it.
3. His hands were uncannily soft, with a sponge-life grip. It all made sense after that.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
SweetP wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Mitch at a Dodgers game.

From what i understand, he's managed to get into places much smaller than a bug.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
SweetP wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Mitch at a Dodgers game.

From what i understand, he's managed to get into places much smaller than a bug.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I was at Disneyland when Kobe was there recently. All I got was a wave. He was also at UCLA with KG and others but by the time I arrived there was already a crowd. And I was in Jordan Farmar's English class (which he rarely ever showed up to).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Eggz33
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

* Met Magic at an autograph signing when he released his magic32 line of shoes and I got a couple basketballs signed.
* Met James Worthy and Stu Lantz at an autograph signing at Nike Town a few years ago.
* Saw Travis Knight at a Dodger game many years ago.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I bartended in L.A. for years and got to interact with a bunch of players, lakers and non lakers:

Jerry west, Palm restaurant west hollywood- he and his handler had two blond, hot as hell, mid twenties blonde hussy bimbo types dining with them. Will never forget that one, used to see him play poker at Commerce as well but loved the fact that he was rollin with the company of young hotties.

Wilt chamberlain, 360 degrees- 360 was a cool club on the top floor of one of the skyscrapers at the corner of sunset and vine (there's a chipotle on the ground floor now) You'll laugh, but the reason the club was jumping was brian austin green from 90210 would DJ there and this was only a little while after Beverly hills 90210 was over as a show. Sure enough, Wilt was talking to a little blonde hussy club type and I was thinking : " another notch!"

Kobe and Shaq, beverly center for both- People forget but Beverly center WAS the mall back in like 96/97 saw kobe walking through macy's mens store with other kids ( I figured his siblings) was his rookie year.
Shaq and his posse were walking by and my friend and I came out of the diesel store and my freind sees him and says : " yo, shaq". Shaq responds back: " whadup dog?"

NON LAKERS ( won't get into too many stories) but had conversations at my bars with:
Melo
Milt palacio ( nice freakin guy)
Rudy Gay (gal he was with was cool with gal behind the bar I was dating so actually had convo after bar closed like two equals, no fan or player labels- I suggested he come to the lakers for Odom
Juwan Howard ( knows his pinot noir)
Javale "knucklehead" mcgee ( 10% tipper lol)
Earl Watson
Varejao
Jalen Rose ( hooped with him on my team at 24 hour fitness hwood and a different time did shots with him downtown at my friends bar after he taped at espn DTLA

Last edited by eddiejonze on Tue May 31, 2016 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I moved to LA in 89, there was a place right off of Santa Monica and La Brea, I believe , called Paradise 24....it was the Hollywood party that you moved to LA for..I remember one night Magic rolled up in his Benz....and the ladies went crazy...pretty sure some of us Laker fans did too!
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

My Forrest Gump moment, the day Magic made his HIV announcement, I was working on a production starring Dyan Cannon....directed by AHNOLD.....we were hearing that there was going to be a, big Laker announcement... nobody had any idea of what was going on.....after the announcement production was shut down for six hours, the next time we see Dyan....her eyes are teary and water soaked ...... because back then she, as all of us didn't know if Magic would make it past the new year......things turned out pretty well
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

During the 3-Peat I worked on a Pam Anderson show called VIP....one day, one of the co stars shows up to set with D Fish...none of the female crew members knew who he was....lol all of the males were saying Fish! D Fish!!! and high fiving the actress saying....You go girl!!"...lol

Last edited by Qsmiff on Tue May 31, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
BasketballReasons?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Many years ago, I walked in to the Hot Wings cafe on Melrose and saw Devean George sitting on a table with a friend. Both were huge guys. They finished eating tons of food. Didn't bother him and left him alone.
MettaWorldWar2012
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Last week, I saw Kobe at fresh brothers in Newport Beach getting a pizza right before game 6 of the WCF. He looked like he wanted to keep a pretty low profile (never took his shades off) I planned on keeping my distance, but he walked right past my mom's donation table. It was cool, I got to have a quick word with him. As he left I said, "Thank you, Kob". I was pumped I got that in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject:

Oh I forgot to mention that I have been to 2 Dodger games this season so far, and I saw Mychal Thompson at both of them. (I also saw Charlie Sheen in the parking lot upon leaving the first game, and a couple of my buddies took pictures with him.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:

I saw Kareem close up on a weekend on UCLA campus back when he was Lew Alcindor.

My young son (accompanied by our nanny) sat next to Kobe Bryant in a medical office in Newport Beach and had a short chat with him before my son told Kobe to go away so my son could get back to playing his video game. Kobe was very friendly with him.

I've spoken with 7'6" Mamadou Ndiale (future Laker?) several times on UCI campus. Very nice guy.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:

Took a picture with Shaq the summer after the three-peat at a club in South Beach Miami.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

oh yeah, saw Chris Mimh with 2 hot mamas on that hotel rooftop lounge with a pool, must have been a decade ago
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:

My young son (accompanied by our nanny) sat next to Kobe Bryant in a medical office in Newport Beach and had a short chat with him before my son told Kobe to go away so my son could get back to playing his video game. Kobe was very friendly with him.

Classic. I think Kobe can understand total dedication to a game.
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

My sister got a picture taken with Robert Horry in the summer after the 2002 championship. She's 4'11" so the height difference was hilarious.
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

Saw D'angelo at the Beverly Center either on Christmas Eve or a day before Christmas Eve. I told him good luck. He was shorter than I expected and was actually geared out with Laker apparel. Then I saw both Jordan Clarkson and D'angelo Russell a week later at the Bryson Tiller concert that was held at the Club Nokia on NYE.

Saw B. Cook while walking along the pier in Manhattan Beach about 7-8 years ago. He had a wide smile when I recognized him and said what's up.

Saw Magic in a Rolls Royce on Ventura Blvd many years ago. He looked lost and I believe that was the night of the ESPYs.
lakerfan2012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Saw DLO at Best Buy in the camera section

JK
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

lakerfan2012 wrote:
Saw DLO at Best Buy in the camera section

JK

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: