Laker Film Room: Half Court Principles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Laker Film Room: Half Court Principles

Please give me a follow on Twitter @lakerfilmroom.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Sat May 28, 2016 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

keep em coming! gracias!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

Great post GT.
Ball and player movement will make our young guys' lives much easier on the bball court.

Randle and Nance do need to work on their shooting though. Couldn't help but notice the 4-5 3pt spacers I saw in the lineups for your GS clips.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

What the heck was byron even doing all year

Was it really just the conditioning drills?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Great question.

Running set plays, basically. If the first option didn't work, good luck to you. And the opposing defenses knew exactly what we were trying to do as a result.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the vid!
I wish there was a clip the Lakers actually made a bucket.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

Wow. Thanks a lot man. Not only was it the best video I have ever seen on explaining weak side motion, but the video editing was amazing too. And ending it with '"93 Til Infinity" to give us hope for the future was awesome song selection.

i also seen misdirection plays where The GSW would pick and roll, say Curry and Bogut, and while the defense is sleeping a third party, say Klay, would cut hard to the basket for an easy bucket. I can't wait to see our offense next season.

But yeah, thanks again for sharing your knowledge and please keep them coming. Much respect! I've watched the NBA since I was 4 and it's amazing when I learn something new!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

Great question.

Running set plays, basically. If the first option didn't work, good luck to you. And the opposing defenses knew exactly what we were trying to do as a result.

And he wonders why we didn't bring him back. Byron is clearly out of his league here (and out of the league). It's an embarasment, and other teams must have been laughing at our clock management and horrible iso plays. Mark Jackson was replaced by a more brilliant offensive mind like Steve Kerr, but at least Jackson gave them something. He empowered Steph & Klay and essentially made them the Splash Bros. Our youngsters looked dejected all season long.
Triangle_Offense
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

Another great video. Wow, just really puts into perspective how disgustingly bad the offense was under Byron.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Wow. Thanks a lot man. Not only was it the best video I have ever seen on explaining weak side motion, but the video editing was amazing too. And ending it with '"93 Til Infinity" to give us hope for the future was awesome song selection.

i also seen misdirection plays where The GSW would pick and roll, say Curry and Bogut, and while the defense is sleeping a third party, say Klay, would cut hard to the basket for an easy bucket. I can't wait to see our offense next season.

But yeah, thanks again for sharing your knowledge and please keep them coming. Much respect! I've watched the NBA since I was 4 and it's amazing when I learn something new!

I'm very happy that you enjoyed it, and I'm super impressed that you nailed the significance of 93 'til Infinity.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

MY BODYYYYYYYY
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

As good as this breakdown is, it makes me realize how trash we really were last year. You must have been pulling out your hair watching Byron's offense last year
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

Great job, GT. I can feel the frustration that was with me every game I covered last season after watching this. Damn, hadn't felt that in a while. The screen setting and lack of weakside movement and purpose was maddening.

And I just wanted to point out to people what we had talked about when looking at another video a few weeks back, that even if the ball isn't coming back to the weakside, having that movement and screen setting principles continually in play...that occupies the weakside defense to keep them from loading up strong side. All season long, our opponents were able to worry less about what was happening weakside and focus on helping the strong side. An extra second to react, an extra foot or two closer to the help D rotation, that eats up space and forces tougher shots thoughout the game.

Instead of the running Scott had guys doing over and over this preseason, Luke is going to drill the (bleep) out the fundamentals of this to break bad habits.

Glad you put that passing stat in to show people that just because you were an iso heavy team or iso heavy player, you can change and break bad habits if a strong system and set of principles are in place that encourages and reinforces that.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

The "what not to do" parts of this video clip were the most helpful. Everyone knows we were awful this regular season, but when it's broken down like this, it looks even worse. At the same time I felt hopeful during & after watching it. Cuz like you pointed out GoldenThroat, this stuff is easily fixable.

One last thing I'll say is what the hell was BS teaching our guys? It honestly looked like they were trying to blow screens and make it hard on each other intentionally.

Thanks for another awesome vid!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:

One last thing I'll say is what the hell was BS teaching our guys? It honestly looked like they were trying to blow screens and make it hard on each other intentionally.

I forget what exact point it was in the season, but I remember thinking there is no way Randle can be this bad at setting screens still unless it's not being worked on.
lakers4peat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

Hi Golden Throat,

may I ask if you could re-edit the video without the music?

In Germany, where I live, YouTube won't play your video, because of issues with the rights to the music you used.

There was no problem with the music used in your first video, and I really enjoyed it. Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks,

4peat
"[...] the Celtics coach squinted closer and understood that these [misses] weren’t nerves. “It was because of that big [expletive] running around". [...] It was Bynum. Andrew Bynum. Yes, he changes everything."
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
MY BODYYYYYYYY

IS TELLIN ME YESSSS
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks GoldenThroat!!! Excellent analysis. Very excited about next year!!!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Great job, GT. I can feel the frustration that was with me every game I covered last season after watching this. Damn, hadn't felt that in a while. The screen setting and lack of weakside movement and purpose was maddening.

And I just wanted to point out to people what we had talked about when looking at another video a few weeks back, that even if the ball isn't coming back to the weakside, having that movement and screen setting principles continually in play...that occupies the weakside defense to keep them from loading up strong side. All season long, our opponents were able to worry less about what was happening weakside and focus on helping the strong side. An extra second to react, an extra foot or two closer to the help D rotation, that eats up space and forces tougher shots thoughout the game.

Instead of the running Scott had guys doing over and over this preseason, Luke is going to drill the (bleep) out the fundamentals of this to break bad habits.

Glad you put that passing stat in to show people that just because you were an iso heavy team or iso heavy player, you can change and break bad habits if a strong system and set of principles are in place that encourages and reinforces that.

You do yeoman's work with your Thoughts & Ratings breakdowns throughout the year. I think you'll have less agitation next season.

And yes, that weak side motion creates attacks on the basket that need to be accounted for. Only one of them has to work. Good offensive teams can fit a dozen attacks into 24 seconds. Last year we were getting 2 or 3, tops.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

lakers4peat wrote:
Hi Golden Throat,

may I ask if you could re-edit the video without the music?

In Germany, where I live, YouTube won't play your video, because of issues with the rights to the music you used.

There was no problem with the music used in your first video, and I really enjoyed it. Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks,

4peat

Interesting. I had someone else tell me they couldn't play it too,but they didn't know why. I wonder if it's because of this.

I will upload another version tonight and send you a link.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Another awesome video, GT. Keep it up!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Hey GT, new youtube channel? Keep em coming man. Always look forward to your analysis. Respect

You kinda sound like Mark Jackson

MOMMA

Last edited by panamaniac on Sat May 28, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Very interesting stuff GT. It really does make it look like we were intentionally tanking this season.

I'd be interested to see a video showing a breakdown of how the Lakers played in the game where we beat GSW, because clearly we did something right in that game.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Another great video breakdown, thanks. I agree with your observation about Larry nance and I'd like to add Russell and brow to hat as well. Those are two players that will Benefit from those great screens along with Ingram if we end up drafting him. I wonder if Larry will surpass Randle as the starting 4 this season? I think the coaching staff is going to have to have a serious discussion about this at some point next season. Randle may be the better talent but nance plays for the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: