Laker Film Room: Half Court Principles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Wow GT that was excellent start to finish. This was so mesmerizing 12 minutes felt like 3 while I was watching. Excellent visualization of the fundamentals you, fiendishoc, DB and a few others have been talking about all season, and the comparison of the right way vs. the wrong way makes it clear what you're trying to explain. Stunningly clear.

Some thoughts:

Training camp under Scott was an utter waste of time. An exhausting, gruelling waste of time. How could he not see this?

This team could be SO much better if Luke can pound fundamentals into these kids heads all summer and all through training camp. Screens. How to use screens. Spacing. Weak side motion. Playing in a system, not a series of one-set plays. This team could be SO much better.

And finally, I don't know the nuance of "93 Til Infinity," perhaps google's my friend here, but I will say the music you chose was an excellent backdrop to what I was watching. Really good choices and made it easy to listen to as well as watch.

This was a really enjoyable, intelligent and very clear tutorial on basketball fundamentals, with the Lakers being the prime example of a team that was missing these fundamentals. Makes me feel like we haven't even seen a hint yet of what this team is capable of achieving once we establish a real basketball system on the court.

New season, new beginning!!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Wow GT that was excellent start to finish. This was so mesmerizing 12 minutes felt like 3 while I was watching. Excellent visualization of the fundamentals you, fiendishoc, DB and a few others have been talking about all season, and the comparison of the right way vs. the wrong way makes it clear what you're trying to explain. Stunningly clear.

Some thoughts:

Training camp under Scott was an utter waste of time. An exhausting, gruelling waste of time. How could he not see this?

This team could be SO much better if Luke can pound fundamentals into these kids heads all summer and all through training camp. Screens. How to use screens. Spacing. Weak side motion. Playing in a system, not a series of one-set plays. This team could be SO much better.

And finally, I don't know the nuance of "93 Til Infinity," perhaps google's my friend here, but I will say the music you chose was an excellent backdrop to what I was watching. Really good choices and made it easy to listen to as well as watch.

This was a really enjoyable, intelligent and very clear tutorial on basketball fundamentals, with the Lakers being the prime example of a team that was missing these fundamentals. Makes me feel like we haven't even seen a hint yet of what this team is capable of achieving once we establish a real basketball system on the court.

I'm incredibly flattered, thank you. I've had a blast making these. It's a very daunting project, and it's similar to what I imagine sculpting to be like. You start out with this enormous piece of raw material (an entire offense), and only have a vague idea of what the finished product is going to look like, but you chip away and eventually you start to see it.

My biggest goal is for these to be clear and cohesive, so I'm thrilled that's what you got out of it. My "target audience" for these are die hard Laker fans who don't necessarily know a lot of X's & O's stuff, and for them to watch these videos and say "yeah, that totally makes sense."
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Hey GT, are you gonna do a series on beating a zone defense with dribble penetration?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
Hey GT, are you gonna do a series on beating a zone defense with dribble penetration?

BREH
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
dood23 wrote:

BREH

KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff again, GT. This may be my go to video when I respond to people who say Byron didn't get a fair shake because of lack of talent. This team doesn't have world beating talent, but our offense was so directionless it did us no favors. Watching two and three guys stand in place and watch the ball for the first time since April brought back a lot of frustration.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Some thoughts:

I'm incredibly flattered, thank you. I've had a blast making these. It's a very daunting project, and it's similar to what I imagine sculpting to be like. You start out with this enormous piece of raw material (an entire offense), and only have a vague idea of what the finished product is going to look like, but you chip away and eventually you start to see it.

My biggest goal is for these to be clear and cohesive, so I'm thrilled that's what you got out of it. My "target audience" for these are die hard Laker fans who don't necessarily know a lot of X's & O's stuff, and for them to watch these videos and say "yeah, that totally makes sense."

I think I would put myself in that target audience. I can usually see the results but can't always describe with the correct words how it happens, if that makes sense. So these video breakdowns are really interesting and helpful.

Why do you think Hibbert was so bad on setting screens properly? I get that Randle and some of the young kids might need some remedial teaching that they never got but why wouldn't Hibbert have the knowledge of actually contacting on the screens even if Byron never stressed it? It would seem like it would be a habit for a big guy who had played awhile in the NBA. Did he set screens well in Indiana and just get lazy in LA?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
I think I would put myself in that target audience. I can usually see the results but can't always describe with the correct words how it happens, if that makes sense. So these video breakdowns are really interesting and helpful.

Why do you think Hibbert was so bad on setting screens properly? I get that Randle and some of the young kids might need some remedial teaching that they never got but why wouldn't Hibbert have the knowledge of actually contacting on the screens even if Byron never stressed it? It would seem like it would be a habit for a big guy who had played awhile in the NBA. Did he set screens well in Indiana and just get lazy in LA?

I think Hibbert kinda checked out a bit. But to be fair, a video like this can take 3-4 plays and make it look like someone is worse/better at something than they are. I wasn't trying to pick on Hibbert, I was trying to demonstrate a team wide problem that we had. By my recollection, Hibbert was an okay screen setter when he wanted to be. Sacre was the best screening big on the team, Russell did well at this as a guard, and Clarkson showed a talent for it too once we went to Motion Weak.

As you can see in the video, it's not like guys were really trying hard to set screens and just sucked at it. This is one of those instances where I think Byron's whole "disciplinarian" depiction is a bunch of crap. That is a very undisciplined team who is just going through the motions. No (bleep) way would I stand for that if my players were doing this. He had a hardass facade, but the team was incredibly undisciplined.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Great stuff again, GT. This may be my go to video when I respond to people who say Byron didn't get a fair shake because of lack of talent. This team doesn't have world beating talent, but our offense was so directionless it did us no favors. Watching two and three guys stand in place and watch the ball for the first time since April brought back a lot of frustration.

Right...these aren't guys trying to make good plays and failing. You can watch this and see that the plan is bad, not just the players.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Amazing stuff GT! It's remarkable that a lot of shots the Lakers got with poor spacing, screening, etc. were what amounts to good looks for Kobe in his prime. Definitely could bail out the system, no wonder Byron tried to ride Kobe like it was 2006
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Outstanding work, GT. Very informatative and gives us more to look forward to.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff GT, I certainly hope that someone like Lou can be more productive in this offense in terms of off the ball. Once Randle fully understands the notion of making contact with the defender, when screening, I have a feeling he'll be an awesome screener, due to his physicality.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Dang, those Laker clips were brutal to watch.

I understand the Lakers aren't stacked with talent and are younger than the Warriors, but when they're not even being put in positions to succeed it's that much more difficult to win games. Super frustrating.

GoldenThroat wrote:

I would say you've met that goal and then some. Thanks for these and I look forward to more installments in the future.

Also love the music selections from the golden age of hip-hop (90s-early 2000s). That stuff will never go out of style for me.
Haterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, GT! Really shows how inept Byron was not only from an X's and O's perspective, but also from a developmental one. An entire year and guys still can't set screens! Really looking forward to what Luke can do with this team. A+ music choices as well.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Great job, GT. I can feel the frustration that was with me every game I covered last season after watching this. Damn, hadn't felt that in a while. The screen setting and lack of weakside movement and purpose was maddening.

And I just wanted to point out to people what we had talked about when looking at another video a few weeks back, that even if the ball isn't coming back to the weakside, having that movement and screen setting principles continually in play...that occupies the weakside defense to keep them from loading up strong side. All season long, our opponents were able to worry less about what was happening weakside and focus on helping the strong side. An extra second to react, an extra foot or two closer to the help D rotation, that eats up space and forces tougher shots thoughout the game.

Instead of the running Scott had guys doing over and over this preseason, Luke is going to drill the (bleep) out the fundamentals of this to break bad habits.

Glad you put that passing stat in to show people that just because you were an iso heavy team or iso heavy player, you can change and break bad habits if a strong system and set of principles are in place that encourages and reinforces that.

Yup! It's worth mentioning that the Warriors ran drills for basic fundamentals all season for two years, much like Phil and Tex used to do (Pop does as well). Simple stuff like chest passes, jump stops, pivots, etc... Luke will undoubtedly bring this practice over.

GT, great job. I know that it must take a ton of work behind the scenes to produce videos of this quality.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff GT

Another reason why LG is the best team forum on the web
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Great stuff GT

Another reason why LG is the best team forum on the web
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Wow. Thanks a lot man. Not only was it the best video I have ever seen on explaining weak side motion, but the video editing was amazing too. And ending it with '"93 Til Infinity" to give us hope for the future was awesome song selection.

i also seen misdirection plays where The GSW would pick and roll, say Curry and Bogut, and while the defense is sleeping a third party, say Klay, would cut hard to the basket for an easy bucket. I can't wait to see our offense next season.

But yeah, thanks again for sharing your knowledge and please keep them coming. Much respect! I've watched the NBA since I was 4 and it's amazing when I learn something new!

Seriously, I feel like these should be a pretty good resume to get into some NBA team as a video coordinator
NVD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
What the heck was byron even doing all year

Was it really just the conditioning drills?

That's what I'm thinking. What the hell did Byron do all year!?!?

I was hoping Thunder beat the Warriors today so that Luke can start right now T_T
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Yup! It's worth mentioning that the Warriors ran drills for basic fundamentals all season for two years, much like Phil and Tex used to do (Pop does as well). Simple stuff like chest passes, jump stops, pivots, etc... Luke will undoubtedly bring this practice over.

GT, great job. I know that it must take a ton of work behind the scenes to produce videos of this quality.

You're always welcome to help. You're a better X's & O's guy than I am, I just have more time on my hands.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Great stuff GT, I certainly hope that someone like Lou can be more productive in this offense in terms of off the ball. Once Randle fully understands the notion of making contact with the defender, when screening, I have a feeling he'll be an awesome screener, due to his physicality.

I'm curious about Lou as well. I think he'd be very good at using the screens, but I'm not so sure about how good he'll be at setting them. It's not a coincidence that Golden State's guards are Curry, Klay, Livingston, Barbosa, & Clark...the smallest guy is 6'3". Being able to lay the wood on a screen is important in this style, not matter what position you play.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

The most hilarious part about all that confusion in the Lakers' clips was the way Byron just stood there with his arms crossed every single time lol. No effort whatsoever in telling guys where to go, whether it be verbal or communicating with his hands, nothing. Just stands there and watches as the house burns down right in front of him, even with full knowledge that the wife, kids, and dog are still in there. It's absolutely mind-boggling. Like everyone else, I can only wonder what his practices were like throughout the year. It's frightening to imagine.

But GT, this is tremendous work. You really have a gift at being able to break these things down. Seeing just how badly the young players need to re-learn fundamentals only sends my excitement through the roof about Luke. I'm sure he'll be drilling them all summer so they'll be ready come training camp. This stuff is ultra exciting.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Curious to know if we had some of these principles when MDA was coaching
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject:

Ouch. That hurt.

I absolutely hated watching these videos. The videos were excellent but they really pointed out how inept the Lakers were last year. How could Byron even think he would have another year when the team was so ill-prepared this past year? Was he really that incompetent?

--Anonymous
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject:

Great video and and a clear indictment of Byron's absolute incompetence. Thanks, GT.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: