Lakers Offseason Outlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Kobe didn't win ROY. Must be a bust.

Time to trade Russell for Michael Carter-Williams.

Do it Mitch!

MCW's draft class was terrible across the board, the same cannot be said for last year's draft class. Kobe was not given Russell's opportunity and he was not the 2nd overall pick either, Kobe actually overachieved if anything. Russell is the opposite, he is underachieving.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:

Do it Mitch!

MCW's draft class was terrible across the board, the same cannot be said for last year's draft class. Kobe was not given Russell's opportunity and he was not the 2nd overall pick either, Kobe actually overachieved if anything. Russell is the opposite, he is underachieving.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Do it Mitch!

What opportunity did Russell get this season? Not sure if you watched Russell this season or not, but his job was to pass the ball to Kobe and get out of the way.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Do it Mitch!

What opportunity did Russell get this season? Not sure if you watched Russell this season or not, but his job was to pass the ball to Kobe and get out of the way.

LOL, we will see next year for sure.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
al242 wrote:
gumby wrote:
lewis wrote:
These are just a joke:

Management

12. Houston
18. Charlotte
20. Philadelphia
26. Brooklyn
27. L.A. Lakers

Wow. They are laying it on thick with that particular rating.

At least the Lakers have a positive upside going on with Luke and drafting.
Can't say that for these others.

Brooklyn owes a million draft picks to Boston, that alone was disaster. And they will suck well into the future based on management.

Philly is Philly and they barely have a glimmer of hope with the #1 and no Hinkie. But who really thinks they will do better than last year?

Houston is a Harden away from a complete rebuild. For a team that almost went to the finals a year ago?

Bad, real bad.

Bye.

Drafting? Im sorry have we drafted any players that have turned into allstars...Towns was ROY, Russell was 9th in the ROY race. We are not in Minnesota's class right now. Also Walton has not proved anything yet, he could be a complete bust, I don't like to congratulate management on the unknowns and neither should you.

Russell showed a lot of potential and will be an all star eventually IMO even though he isn't there yet (neither is any other rookie). Nance looks to be a great pick in the late first. Clarkson was first team all rookie as a second rounder and Randke averaged a double double his rookie year and also has all star potential although I have less faith in him then Russell. We have drafted very well recently.

Yes Walton may be a complete bust but he was one of the top two coaches on the market this offseason so I think that deserves some credit. We have been terrible recently but are trending upwards. I think the FO deserves some credit for that. Good drafting and a great coaching hire is commendable even though they got us in the situation in the first place.

How have we trended upwards? I expect us to suck next year, I am not placing any more optimism in our incompetent front office to get anything done. Not setting myself up for disappointment is my outlook for 2016-2017, also the 8 other rookies ahead of Russell in the ROY voting also showed promise, so the odds of him becoming an allstar on that narrative alone seem slim.

Tons of cap space
Young core and gonna add one more great talent in the draft
New young coach who is very respected around the league

That's why we are trending upwards. I think Russell will be an all star because of what he showed on the court, not because of some vote by a bunch of people who barely watched him play. He showed signs of an elite talent but was extremely inconsistent. Consistency often comes with experience.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject:

Here is a list of some of the basic stats per 36 minutes for All-Star guards in their rookie years. I used per 36 because some played significantly more than Russell. Russell is actually the youngest out of all of them during his rookie year.

Wall: 15.6 pts, TS% 49.4, PER 15.8
Westbrook: 16.9 pts, TS% 48.9, PER 15.2
Rose: 16.3 pts, TS% 51.6, PER 16.0
Irving: 21.8 pts, TS% 56.6, PER 21.4.
Harden: 15.6 pts, TS% 55.1, PER 14.0

Russell: 16.8 pts, TS% 50.7, PER 13.2

Irving was by far the best but interestingly he hasn't improved much since then.
MagicMayun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Guess they penalize F.O. for failing to sign star FA in the past 3 years (including Pau and Dwight that left). I for one thought they did what they had to do in getting Dwight and Nash, one last run for Kobe/Pau team. Nobody predicted Nash breaking down, Dwight feeling broken down and Kobe got broken. I mean that was a mountain to get out from (3 starters). Even with the draft picks traded for those players, we still came up with gems and capspace. 27 out of 30 teams, let's see if we'll finally get a break and sign a star FA... or 2

So much this.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

The good news is that we have nowhere else to go but up!
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
gumby wrote:
lewis wrote:
These are just a joke:

Management

12. Houston
18. Charlotte
20. Philadelphia
26. Brooklyn
27. L.A. Lakers

Wow. They are laying it on thick with that particular rating.

At least the Lakers have a positive upside going on with Luke and drafting.
Can't say that for these others.

Brooklyn owes a million draft picks to Boston, that alone was disaster. And they will suck well into the future based on management.

Philly is Philly and they barely have a glimmer of hope with the #1 and no Hinkie. But who really thinks they will do better than last year?

Houston is a Harden away from a complete rebuild. For a team that almost went to the finals a year ago?

Bad, real bad.

Bye.

Drafting? Im sorry have we drafted any players that have turned into allstars...Towns was ROY, Russell was 9th in the ROY race. We are not in Minnesota's class right now. Also Walton has not proved anything yet, he could be a complete bust, I don't like to congratulate management on the unknowns and neither should you.

It has only been about 3 years that have been bad. We didn't draft sure fire all-star out of the box but they are good quality players with potential and tools to do well in the future.

They aren't busts out the gate either.

Coaching hire of Byron Scott and Mike Brown are marks against the FO.

But they are making up for that with Luke. Young, fresh, highly regarded is a key. He's not a retread. This is their first real coaching hire that is positive since Phillip.

Now I don't claim the FO is great since they need work still but they are definitely better at this current moment than Philly, Houston, and Brooklyn.

Bye.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Ranked 24th in ESPN’s ‘2016 NBA Future Power Rankings’

Quote:
In Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton’s latest 2016 NBA Future Power Rankings that predicts where the each team will land in the “2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons” the Lakers once again sit near the bottom of the totem pole.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/05/30/lakers-offseason-espn-nba-future-power-rankings-ranked-24th/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Blueprint for Solving LA Lakers' Woes at Center and Wing

Quote:
To say the Lakers need a starting center and small forward is an understatement. And let’s not hold out hope that Nick “Swaggy P” Young will miraculously rise like a phoenix from the ashes of his last two immolated seasons and take glorious wing once again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2643177-blueprint-for-solving-la-lakers-woes-at-center-and-wing
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Do it Mitch!

Jesus Christ.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we're a long-shot to sign Durant, DeRozan and/or Whiteside. Mitch and the FO will have to really pull a rabbit out of their hats to get one of those guys.

Batum, Horford, and others such as Bazemore are not shoe-ins either.

We could be in for another long off-season as far as recruiting a star.

It is really important for our young guys to prove their mettle this season.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

just got off facetime with our very own Mitchell GOATchak

randle for adams straight up is a GO

lakers confirmed for at least conference finals in 2017 tbh
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
just got off facetime with our very own Mitchell GOATchak

randle for adams straight up is a GO

lakers confirmed for at least conference finals in 2017 tbh
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Imo with Ingram I think our core is as good as Minnesota. Not sure why they are so high and we are #29

Not even close with Minny.

Towns IMO has top 3 player potential. We don't have a player near that potential really, you can say DLO but that is homer talk. Then Wiggins has more potential than anyone on our team.

I'd put Russell with LaVine potential. I still think LaVine is going to breakout and can become a 24ppg scorer but won't happen because of Wiggins and Towns.

The Wolves I see drafting Hield who is a Sr. And NBA ready. He's hot CJ McCollum like potential and possiblly better like a Lillard.

The Wolves in like 3 - 4 years are going to be the best team in the NBA if they can stick together and evolve to their potentisk
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
15 wrote:
Imo with Ingram I think our core is as good as Minnesota. Not sure why they are so high and we are #29

Not even close with Minny.

Towns IMO has top 3 player potential. We don't have a player near that potential really, you can say DLO but that is homer talk. Then Wiggins has more potential than anyone on our team.

I'd put Russell with LaVine potential. I still think LaVine is going to breakout and can become a 24ppg scorer but won't happen because of Wiggins and Towns.

The Wolves I see drafting Hield who is a Sr. And NBA ready. He's hot CJ McCollum like potential and possiblly better like a Lillard.

The Wolves in like 3 - 4 years are going to be the best team in the NBA if they can stick together and evolve to their potentisk

You lost all cred when you put Russell with LaVine potential. Sorry.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
al242 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Do it Mitch!

Jesus Christ.

One day you may be able to deal with words about your favorite player.

You asked me in another thread about telling Russell is our young player with most potential to be our leading scorer in a few seasons in the same sentence I was pointing a LOT of flaws. You should keep yourself down to the reason and not to the emotions trying to figure out the logic behind some statements.

Dlo had some high scoring games, not one, but maybe a dozen so it's not only in one's dream the fact he can score, there are substance behind this statement, but before calling him a passing savant the prudence asks us to wait for a dozen of double digit games in assists and before callin him the PG of the future he has to improve his AST/TO ratio from one of the worst among all PG to a top 15 level at least.

He may be our best player and still underachieving because he was a #2 pick where you have hopes to find a franchise player, so I really believe Dlo is a better player than Julius/Nance, but I believe Julius, Nance and Clarkson were better picks comparing their production with what other guys selected on the same range are doing.

So one more time letting the emotion aside and trying to give some explanation for someone upset about simple logic, Dlo being unanimously outside the all rookie team clearly underachieved last season being a second pick and hopefully he will use it as a motivator to come back next year overarchieving.

Take it easy, everybody here is a Lakers fan, some probably before you have born and nobody likes watching this glorious franchise winning 17 games while making excuses for a player. Let's win 50 before we start this kind of discussion.

Last edited by nash on Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ESPN torching us in their future power rankings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15700437/nba-future-power-rankings-team-ratings-players-management-money-market-draft
(link works even if you don't have insider)

Players - 29 out of 30
Management - 27 out of 30
Money - 1 out of 30
Market - 1 out of 30
Draft - 10 out of 30

Overall- 24th in league, 12th in the West
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/ropen.do?rid=bhy44c1d63f96d82e43bdbf492984b6f064dc

Nothing to disagree with. Do not get emotional, we are a 17 win team... Dude we freaking suck, really really bad

I agree. A 17 win team does not deserve positive commentary.

Seriously, they have made many poor decisions and reflects on our records.

Poor coaching hires, poor signings, etc.

Let's see what happens this off season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
al242 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15700437/nba-future-power-rankings-team-ratings-players-management-money-market-draft

Players - 29 out of 30
Money - 1 out of 30
Market - 1 out of 30
Draft - 10 out of 30

Nothing to disagree with. Do not get emotional, we are a 17 win team... Dude we freaking suck, really really bad

which poor signing?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I would trade our entire core for KAT alone.

Towns is a very good young prospect. My money is he quickly becomes an all-star player and continues to improve. That being said, the myth is now much larger than the man....he was an 18/10 player on a bad team...I would not start carving the HOF bust yet.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

Based on their overall performances last season I believe that our young core will mature quicker than most expect.
They have the growth potential to form the nucleus of a future playoff contender.

This off-season will be very important and help to clarify which direction that the FO is trying to pursue.

With a few good vets signings and with Luke at the helm we will be well on our way.

How soon? Time will tell but it will be sooner than later.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
laker4life wrote:
al242 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Players - 29 out of 30
Money - 1 out of 30
Market - 1 out of 30
Draft - 10 out of 30

which poor signing?

Nick Young and the FO's failure to keep some of the players we had and or sign other free agents.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
These are just a joke:

Management

12. Houston
18. Charlotte
20. Philadelphia
26. Brooklyn
27. L.A. Lakers

Cannot argue with these ranking.

Management is pretty bad if you were to look at it impartially.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
lewis wrote:
These are just a joke:

Management

12. Houston
18. Charlotte
20. Philadelphia
26. Brooklyn
27. L.A. Lakers

Cannot argue with these ranking.

Management is pretty bad if you were to look at it impartially.

The ranking appears to be on point. We have nowhere to go but up!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: