People will be shocked when we win 40 games next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I love the optimism and all, but can we at least wait to say this until we have at least a half full roster?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I agree, I would be shocked. 28-30 wins is what I am expecting without knowing the roster.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I mean, the Wolves had way more young talent than us and they surely did not have a Kobe farewell tour to derail their progress but they still couldn't crack 40 wins in the tough west. What makes OP so sure that we'll do better than the Wolves?

Just being realistic here. I think 30 wins would already be a great accomplishment if we don't add a big time free agent. With a big time free agent, yeah, sure we might crack 40
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I may agree that the Lakers are trending upward. But until I see the draft and free agency play out I am a long way from predicting 40 wins.

I am optimistic though. IMO the hiring of Walton and a new mentality will be huge. It is a system and style that players should buy into an hopefully thrive in.

I am looking forward to the development and increased production of the young players in it. Another year of working on their strengths and weaknesses. Adding the #2 and #32 also builds up that foundation. Potentially both picks will have an impact.

Finally to state the obvious, free agency will define the off-season. Who they add and how they fit into the roster puzzle will dictate how many wins are possible. A jump to 40 wins would be huge. Not completely far fetched though.

I like your optimism and share it. Just with a bit more crossing my fingers that all continues to go well before predicting such a turnaround.

Go Lakers!

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I may agree that the Lakers are trending upward. But until I see the draft and free agency play out I am a long way from predicting 40 wins.

I am optimistic though. IMO the hiring of Walton and a new mentality will be huge. It is a system and style that players should buy into an hopefully thrive in.

I am looking forward to the development and increased production of the young players in it. Another year of working on their strengths and weaknesses. Adding the #2 and #32 also builds up that foundation. Potentially both picks will have an impact.

Finally to state the obvious, free agency will define the off-season. Who they add and how they fit into the roster puzzle will dictate how many wins are possible. A jump to 40 wins would be huge. Not completely far fetched though.

I like your optimism and share it. Just with a bit more crossing my fingers that all continues to go well before predicting such a turnaround.

Go Lakers!

Somewhere in the low 20s for wins seems achievable for next year's team, especially if they can get solid role players.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

I'd be thrilled with 38 wins just so Luke finishes his first season with the Lakers with as many wins as Byron had in 2.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
I mean, the Wolves had way more young talent than us and they surely did not have a Kobe farewell tour to derail their progress but they still couldn't crack 40 wins in the tough west. What makes OP so sure that we'll do better than the Wolves?

Just being realistic here. I think 30 wins would already be a great accomplishment if we don't add a big time free agent. With a big time free agent, yeah, sure we might crack 40

Wolves were in limbo. In the beginning, they augmented their young core with veterans like Martin and Miller, but then the direction shifted towards the youth and they pretty much thrived. They just needed three point shooting. I think they will win 45+ next season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

Wolves were in limbo. In the beginning, they augmented their young core with veterans like Martin and Miller, but then the direction shifted towards the youth and they pretty much thrived. They just needed three point shooting. I think they will win 45+ next season.

Wolves had two of the top young players, arguable an all NBA player in KAT.

IF we get 2 veteran stars (i.e. Durant, DRoz, Whiteside, Horford, Batum, etc.) I'd def say 45+ wins. But without them, 40 wins will be tough to crack with our young pups.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be shocked. I'm expecting big years for Clarkson and Russell. We do need a defensive anchor like Whiteside.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

IF we get 2 veteran stars (i.e. Durant, DRoz, Whiteside, Horford, Batum, etc.) I'd def say 45+ wins. But without them, 40 wins will be tough to crack with our young pups.

As bad of a rap Sam Mitchell gets, one of the reasons KAT emerged is because he was always the priority. The T-wolves FO made that pretty clear from the beginning. That's why he said he "did his job" after getting fired. Unlike Byron, the young guys on that team had nothing but respect for Mitchell. They never quit on him at any point during the season.

That's the key difference between what went down here. At no point during the season was Russell ever a priority. This was the order of the priorities:
1) The KFT - let Kobe get his 20 shots while the young core fights for scraps.
2) Byron Scott's ego - bench Russell (and Randle) just because they needed to be put in their place. That old school logic will not work in today's NBA.
3) Lou Williams - a former 6th man ended up playing more minutes than our future point guard. That's unacceptable under any circumstances.

Even despite that, Russell had a stretch in March where he averaged 23/4.5/3. It's also not a coincidence they beat the Warriors during that time.

In a talent vacuum, I strongly feel one of these guys will emerge. My money is on Russell, but I also feel like it could be Randle, who is a jumpshot away from putting up Al Horford numbers.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:

As bad of a rap Sam Mitchell gets, one of the reasons KAT emerged is because he was always the priority. The T-wolves FO made that pretty clear from the beginning. That's why he said he "did his job" after getting fired. Unlike Byron, the young guys on that team had nothing but respect for Mitchell. They never quit on him at any point during the season.

That's the key difference between what went down here. At no point during the season was Russell ever a priority. This was the order of the priorities:
1) The KFT - let Kobe get his 20 shots while the young core fights for scraps.
2) Byron Scott's ego - bench Russell (and Randle) just because they needed to be put in their place. That old school logic will not work in today's NBA.
3) Lou Williams - a former 6th man ended up playing more minutes than our future point guard. That's unacceptable under any circumstances.

Even despite that, Russell had a stretch in March where he averaged 23/4.5/3. It's also not a coincidence they beat the Warriors during that time.

In a talent vacuum, I strongly feel one of these guys will emerge. My money is on Russell, but I also feel like it could be Randle, who is a jumpshot away from putting up Al Horford numbers.

To be fair, the Lakers as a business needed KFT to remain relevant and put butts on the seat/eyes on TV sets/get people care about the brand. B.Scott was the perfect company man, did the dirty work and tanked like no Lakers team ever did. I'm just glad it's over
I do share your assessment of Russell, a lot of stretches post all star games that he showed what he could be, very excited about this young man
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: