People will be shocked when we win 40 games next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

between 30 and 36 wins, i think
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You keep comparing a roster with a 19/20/21 year olds as the leaders with teams that have veteran guys like Dragic/Bledsoe or Lillard/McCollum (guys who played 4 years in college and started in the NBA as 22-23 year olds).

Unfortunately you're wasting your time. Going into next season, unless there is a massive improvement none of our current players are on the level of Mccollum, Lillard, Bledsoe or Dragic in the examples given.

Honestly, most people are overvaluing and overrating our "young core" and Luke's ability if they think we win 40 games without massive changes. I think all of this losing has given people a false sense of reality.

There's no reason there can't be a great improvement from our young core. Russell has already shown signs of being a great player. Randle is coming off a season where he averaged a double double which is a rare feat for someone so young especially coming off a horrific injury. Clarkson had another rock solid season. Nance Jr. was electric and really provided us with a lot of energy when he played. Black was solid when he actually played. Then you add in Simmons, Ingram, or Bender and there's no reason this young core can't show substantial improvement.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

Just with a competent coaching staff, the maturation of the young guys and the additional #2 i see us pushing 30. So add in a very good FA offseason haul and 40 is easily attainable.

- It depends on the rest of the west too. I see an overall decline in the west.

Teams at the top: GS, OKC
Teams on the rise: Portland, Minny,
Teams on the decline: Memphis, Dallas, SA, Clipps,
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

I thought we were a 45 win team last season but I over rated Hibbert and Kobe's ability. Next season, I think high 30s is doable and if we get Horford, then low 40s is possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Team as it is now won't win 40 but we don't know who will be on the team next season.

Add Biyombo/Horford, Barnes, Ingram, Dudley and I think we will surprise a lot of people. Maybe hit 8th seed. The 6-8 seeds were wide open this year.

Maybe. But there's no guarantees we get all those guys via FA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You keep comparing a roster with a 19/20/21 year olds as the leaders with teams that have veteran guys like Dragic/Bledsoe or Lillard/McCollum (guys who played 4 years in college and started in the NBA as 22-23 year olds).

Unfortunately you're wasting your time. Going into next season, unless there is a massive improvement none of our current players are on the level of Mccollum, Lillard, Bledsoe or Dragic in the examples given.

Honestly, most people are overvaluing and overrating our "young core" and Luke's ability if they think we win 40 games without massive changes. I think all of this losing has given people a false sense of reality.

There's no reason there can't be a great improvement from our young core. Russell has already shown signs of being a great player. Randle is coming off a season where he averaged a double double which is a rare feat for someone so young especially coming off a horrific injury. Clarkson had another rock solid season. Nance Jr. was electric and really provided us with a lot of energy when he played. Black was solid when he actually played. Then you add in Simmons, Ingram, or Bender and there's no reason this young core can't show substantial improvement.

Going from 17 wins to 35 would be substantial. Making the playoffs would be remarkable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

The great part about being a fan, especially before the season, is the free pass to be irrationally optimistic. I hope we add some quality free agents just like everyone else. At the same time, I expect our young guys to be significantly better professional basketball players next year.
    - Why should I not expect Russell and Randle to be much better players next year....lottery picks are expected to improve quickly during the first three years.
    - We have all seen Clarkson is at the very least molding his body into a stronger player, which indicates he is also working hard on his weaknesses.
    - Nance and A. Brown displayed all of the tools this past year to be excellent rotational guys, but displayed the confidence of rookies....hopefully they return with the confidence needed to optimize their production.
    - What will stop Ingram (likely #2) from having a Durant like rookie season
    - Byron out/Luke in....need I say more?

Maybe none of these happen as I hope....but maybe all of them do...and until proven otherwise....I will be optimistic....maybe even a little irrational. I would rather be a little irrationally optimistic with a smile than crap on my own team in hopes of proving how enlightened I am about the game. Yes, I am talking to you "Mr. We Will Win 23.6 Games" as you pat yourself on the back. We are going to win a lot of games this year and have fun doing it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Unless we bring in some quality vets I would be surprised if we won 30 games.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Considering that only 5 of the 30 NBA teams failed to win at least 30 games last season, I think 30 wins is very realistic regardless of who is on the roster.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I knew I could count on you for a response like this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

35 is the upper limit unless we get a superstar or two in the offseason. Our conference is very tough unlike the east.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What, the seemingly bold statement that has a built-in out so you can take credit either way when all is said and done?

We are definitely signing some vets. So if we win 30, you can say see, I said so. If we don't you can say see, they weren't quality.

I am nostradamus!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

We have no starting center
We don't even have a legit sf
Our back court turns opposing teams scrubs into all stars
Our pf has one dependable talent

I'm predicting 20 wins with this current roster.

I'll change my prediction when we get Durant
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

With no significant FA signings, they might win 10 more games.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

30-35 wins is my expectation for this season. Is 40 within the realm of possibility if our young guys make substantial jumps and we sign some quality vets? Yeah, sure. But I wouldn't bet on it either.

Last edited by KBH on Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
30-35 wins is my expectation for this season. Is 35 within the realm of possibility if our young guys make substantial jumps and we sign some quality vets? Yeah, sure. But I wouldn't bet on it either.

What if we add FAs or talented players via trade how many wins would you predict?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
98-0 baby

Why can't everyone see the obvious?

If the Lakers have eight preseason games, I am going with 106-0.

--Anonymous
HeroBall
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

we're not winning 40 games....

were winning 50
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KBH wrote:
30-35 wins is my expectation for this season. Is 35 within the realm of possibility if our young guys make substantial jumps and we sign some quality vets? Yeah, sure. But I wouldn't bet on it either.

What if we add FAs or talented players via trade how many wins would you predict?

I meant to say "Is 40 within the realm of possibility..." But yeah, it would depend on who those quality veterans are. I could see it being within the realm of possibility if we sign someone who fills the role as the team's best player for us rather than us having to rely on one of the younger guys to fill that role. If we're relying on one of the young guys, I don't see them being consistent enough to win 40 games.
joey25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm seeing numbers everywhere but how can you predict a team's record without knowing who's going to be on the team?
We'll have an idea about how many games this team can win by mid july. Right now with only 6 players under contract we can't even win 5 games
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ms. (Mr?) Cleo
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

joey25 wrote:
I'm seeing numbers everywhere but how can you predict a team's record without knowing who's going to be on the team?
We'll have an idea about how many games this team can win by mid july. Right now with only 6 players under contract we can't even win 5 games

Hopefully we nail it like we did last year with Portland, Houston, New Orleans & Chicago.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I doubt we win 40, but the addition by subtraction element is real.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What, the seemingly bold statement that has a built-in out so you can take credit either way when all is said and done?

We are definitely signing some vets. So if we win 30, you can say see, I said so. If we don't you can say see, they weren't quality.

I am nostradamus!

We have 6 players under contract, how can anyone predict they will win 40 games? Ask again once we have a team and a more accurate answer can be expected.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure, 25 wins is a substantial improvement for a 17 win team.

For the young players, advanced stats good enough to be called 2nd tier starters would be a substantial improvement too.

When some posters talk about flashes of greatness from all of our young core I think they forget that to win games you have to defend too. Our young core is far away from ready and last season was a lost season if we think about team defense concepts, something even more important than individual defense. Nance and Brown seems to be the only guys with a small clue about team defense, but Brown still has a lot to prove to be considered NBA material.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: