Ultimate potential of our young core (BUMP)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How far can they take us?
Championship
35%
 35%  [ 47 ]
Deep playoffs
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
Playoffs
30%
 30%  [ 40 ]
Playoffs? Don't talk about—playoffs?! You kidding me? Playoffs?!
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Lottery purgatory
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 133

Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

Ingram has yet to play a game bro and the only rookie with superstar like numbers were KAT.

KAT wasn't a sideshow to Kobe, though. Major difference.

Imagine what Russell would have dropped w/ the 76ers or Knicks.

Ingram will avg 15-20 ppg if he starts.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

Ingram has yet to play a game bro and the only rookie with superstar like numbers were KAT.

I believe Russell has a high potential as scoring guard and I'm really found on Ingram as our probable 2nd pick, but talking about sure superstars at this point is pointless.

Last edited by nash on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Without the free agent market addition of an all-NBA or All Star player this Summer, the Lakers will face an immediate maximum ceiling of 40 wins (with the existing core plus this Summer's draft pick.) Mid-term ? Mabe a 46 game ceiling in three seasons. Some nice pieces here, but poor shooting, unknown defensive chops at best, and no mobile center or stretch fours. Simmons scares me as a wasted pick.

Simmons won't be the pick, so no worries there.

We'll see. New sheriff in town there, Colangelo. I haven't convinced myself that Philly will mishandle the top pick again. They needs wings more than another interior player. If the BPA scale is as narrow as advertised between Ingram and Simmons, one is probably smart to pick for need, fit, and character. To me, that spells Ingram to Philly.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Sorry but this just seems like a lame excuse for posters to pat themselves on the back. Most good things come from small beginnings. Every superstar was young and unaccomplished at some point, think about that.

It's not about that. If you don't have a young player posting numbers like KAT you shouldn't think two times before trading him for Kevin Durant, LeBron or even PG12.

Nobody here is crazy to send Dlo and Randle for Chandler Parsons, but for the right player you just have to say "bye bye young dude, be happy somewhere else".

And by right player, you mean right by your standards otherwise they have a losers mentality?

Loosing mentality is not trading a young puppy for an all star because you want to see the young core develop together for years.

No, the loser's mentality is saying we would never beat GS so why try.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

That is exactly what we would have to do, imagine. Unfortunately we couldn't use facts.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Sorry but this just seems like a lame excuse for posters to pat themselves on the back. Most good things come from small beginnings. Every superstar was young and unaccomplished at some point, think about that.

It's not about that. If you don't have a young player posting numbers like KAT you shouldn't think two times before trading him for Kevin Durant, LeBron or even PG12.

Nobody here is crazy to send Dlo and Randle for Chandler Parsons, but for the right player you just have to say "bye bye young dude, be happy somewhere else".

And by right player, you mean right by your standards otherwise they have a losers mentality?

Loosing mentality is not trading a young puppy for an all star because you want to see the young core develop together for years.

So you're on board moving DLO for...

Pau Gasol?
Isiah Thomas?
Carmelo Anthony?
James Harden?

If your answer isn't yes, yes, yes, and yes, then you, according to you, have a loser's mentality.

See how absurd a thing that is to say?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Pau Gasol?
Isiah Thomas?
Carmelo Anthony?
James Harden?

If your answer isn't yes, yes, yes, and yes, then you, according to you, have a loser's mentality.

James Harden? No doubt, for the other guys no based on age/size.

But for PG12, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis or even Cousins I'd trade any player in a heartbeat.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Pau Gasol?
Isiah Thomas?
Carmelo Anthony?
James Harden?

But for PG12, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis or even Cousins I'd trade any player in a heartbeat.

Huh? You just said anyone who won't trade a young puppy for an all star has a loser's mentality and you just named several all stars for which you would not trade a young puppy.

See? No one has a loser's mentality. We all want to win, we just have different ideas on how to get there.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nash wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Pau Gasol?
Isiah Thomas?
Carmelo Anthony?
James Harden?

Huh? You just said anyone who won't trade a young puppy for an all star has a loser's mentality and you just named several all stars for which you would not trade a young puppy.

See? No one has a loser's mentality. We all want to win, we just have different ideas on how to get there.

If you believe Pau and Isiah are superstars ok.

For a younger Melo or Pau I'd do that too, now they are a bit too banged to spend anything on them just like Kobe.

I'm not advocating for a trade, but for the right trade we should do that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

^ Superstar? You said all star.

Every single Laker fan would trade a young player for the RIGHT trade. Where we are not going to always see eye to eye is in what is the RIGHT trade. Doesn't mean someone has a losers mentality just because their definition is not the same as yours.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ Superstar? You said all star.

Every single Laker fan would trade a young player for the RIGHT trade. Where we are not going to always see eye to eye is in what is the RIGHT trade. Doesn't mean someone has a losers mentality just because their definition is not the same as yours.

Sure, you are right about that, but some guys don't see it this way, they don't want any player taking minutes from our young core and it makes non sense
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

I believe Russell has a high potential as scoring guard and I'm really found on Ingram as our probable 2nd pick, but talking about sure superstars at this point is pointless.

I think that you're forgetting that the name of this thread is 'Ultimate potential of our young core' and the entire context is inquiring of their ultimate potential.

By definition, that requires projection. Requiring certainty in this context is misplaced as is the term 'sure superstar.'

Thus, it's not wrong to project that DLO and Ingram's ultimate potential is super-stardom. And it's definitely not pointless.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

Stop it with these ridiculous assertions.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate potential of our young core

Wino wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Assuming worst case scenario and we aren't able to attain any star free agents in the coming years, how far do you see our young core getting if they all play to their potential with Luke at the helm?

Black
Randle
Ingram
JC
DLO

Bench: Nance, Brown
Let's say we draft a combo guard at #32 with the potential to be a playoff contributor.

EDIT: D'oh the last option should be cellar-dweller purgatory. Doesn't look like I can edit poll options.

Well, we talking next year, the year after, or the year after that?? We talking about where we could end up with these guys, when they reach their peak?

Yeah I could've been more clear. At their peak.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Have to revise my answer with Zubac now on board. I initially selected "deep playoffs" due to the lack of a starting-caliber center. I think Zubac can eventually be that guy, though probably in limited starter minutes a-la Bogut.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I expect them to develop into a championship core. If you believe Russell and Ingram will be stars which I fully believe they will and you think Clarkson, Randle, Nance and Zubac can be qualify starters at the very least that's really all you need along with 2-3 other pieces on the bench.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

The core of three (Randle, Russell, Ingram) appear to me to be very capable of making multiple playoff berths (up to three perhaps) if kept together in the next five seasons. I think the first playoff appearance could come as early as Spring 2018, Just how deep they can push into deep rounds as a group - without significant help from other players is not apparent, with the elements of their chemistry so unknown.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I think it's real hard to predict until we see the rate of improvement in skills, recognition, decision-making, shoring up individual weaknesses and chemistry.

Floor is perennial lower tier playoff team in search of a missing ingredient, ceiling is multiple titles without adding any more significant free agents.

Big range, but the Lakers picked Ingram, Russell, and Randle for a reason, Clarkson and Nance are absolute draft day steals, and Zuback is starting to look like draft day robbery as well. My expectations are that this team is going to be closer to the upper side of this range. Whether that means title or not remains to be seen.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

How far this core takes us really depends on their mental qualities. How much of that MJ/Kobe mentality do they have as far as the work ethic, wanting to be the best they can be and wanting to be a champion, intelligence, coachability, etc. I think DLO has some of that. It's too early to tell with Ingram.

I think you guys are sleeping on Randle. He's got serious superstar potential because of his basic skills and physical talents. He's got much more work to do than Dlo or even Ingram, but if he really wants to he has the ability to become a 20-25 ppg scorer within 3-5 years.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping Randle becomes Paul Millsap with handles, which is the kind of player you want as your #3 when your top two options will probably make their greatest respective impacts as perimeter scorers.

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

At least two Championships minimum. The reason for the optimism is because we might have gotten the best two players in this year's draft in Ingram and Zubac. Once our young core peaks in a few years, there's no stopping the lakeshow. The sky is the limit.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Eddie Johnson on the Lakers' young talent.

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/764086421967601665
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

At their ULTIMATE potential?

That would essentially mean

Russell = a 6'5 Curry or healthy Brandon Roy
Clarkson = Westbrook with a 3 point shot
Ingram = A Giannis/Kawhi Leonard Hybrid
Randle = A Webber/Barkley hybrid
Zubac = Marc Gasol

So.... that would be a championship
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
At least two Championships minimum. The reason for the optimism is because we might have gotten the best two players in this year's draft in Ingram and Zubac. Once our young core peaks in a few years, there's no stopping the lakeshow. The sky is the limit.

Excellent points, totally agree

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: