Ultimate potential of our young core (BUMP)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How far can they take us?
Championship
35%
 35%  [ 47 ]
Deep playoffs
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
Playoffs
30%
 30%  [ 40 ]
Playoffs? Don't talk about—playoffs?! You kidding me? Playoffs?!
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Lottery purgatory
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 133

LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:

I believe Russell has a high potential as scoring guard and I'm really found on Ingram as our probable 2nd pick, but talking about sure superstars at this point is pointless.

Well then what your saying is that it is pointless to post a poll on what we might expect players will be at in their peak career years.

I think we need to put the poll in perspective, it's just something to discuss and have fun with. Nobody really knows of course what the ultimate outcome will be 5-6 years from now, but I can't see the harm in discussing the point, do you?

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

I think some voters are not understanding the question, imho.

The question is what will ultimately be "this team's collective peak" as posted by the OP, which translates to what will these youngsters who most if not all are all extremely young and close to the same age will be at when they reach their career peak years (presumably ages 25-30) which for most iS 5-6 years off before they even start to approach these years.

With this in mind considering we have two #2 picks and a boat load of overall talented players what would be the reasonable expectations at their respective "PEAK" career years as a group?

So what to expect at PEAK years:
2016- Ingram #2 2016 - potential all-star
2015 - D'Angelo Russell #2 - potential all-star
2014 - Randle #7 - based on performance when healthy would go higher - nothing less than very solid starting forward, perhaps possible all-star

Then we have
Jordan Clarkson - no worse than very solid starting guard (good shot at even borderline all-star)
Zubac - a great find, clearly a solid all-around starting center (maybe even better than people imagine)
Nance - developing into at the very minimum a very good 6th man

These six players developing together easily have the potential of providing titles at peak career years, imho.

Anytime you have minimally 2 all-stars (DLO, Ingram) and even a third and/or possibly fourth border-line all-star (Randle/JC) along with a handful of others that are minimally very solid starters you have the potential of garnering championships at some point in this respective rosters careers together.

Which is why I think some voters are simply not understanding the question, it applies to peak career years assuming the players are retained, stay healthy and develop together and of course is a number of years down the road (not right-around-the-corner).

Bottom line: 30% just playoffs significantly under estimates this teams career "PEAK" expectations considering the talent that exists (and again, is why I think a large number of voters are not understanding the question).

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Eddie Johnson on the Lakers' young talent.

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/764086421967601665
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

Ingram has yet to play a game bro and the only rookie with superstar like numbers were KAT.

KAT wasn't a sideshow to Kobe, though. Major difference.

Imagine what Russell would have dropped w/ the 76ers or Knicks.

Ingram will avg 15-20 ppg if he starts.

I believe Russell has a high potential as scoring guard and I'm really found on Ingram as our probable 2nd pick, but talking about sure superstars at this point is pointless.

I think that you're forgetting that the name of this thread is 'Ultimate potential of our young core' and the entire context is inquiring of their ultimate potential.

By definition, that requires projection. Requiring certainty in this context is misplaced as is the term 'sure superstar.'

Thus, it's not wrong to project that DLO and Ingram's ultimate potential is super-stardom. And it's definitely not pointless.

BINGO!

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
DzLaker wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

Ingram has yet to play a game bro and the only rookie with superstar like numbers were KAT.

I think that you're forgetting that the name of this thread is 'Ultimate potential of our young core' and the entire context is inquiring of their ultimate potential.

By definition, that requires projection. Requiring certainty in this context is misplaced as is the term 'sure superstar.'

Thus, it's not wrong to project that DLO and Ingram's ultimate potential is super-stardom. And it's definitely not pointless.

BINGO!

I mean Ingram and Zubs still have to play a single NBA game and no player of our young core had a KAT like season to predict they are going to be that great and at the same time they all just had the opportunity to play under a terrible coach and system to tell they are not going to be that good, so before at least one full season under a good coach we can have a clue, high now it's too much of a jedi master thing trying to predict the future and by the way, jedi masters failed miserably trying to do so

Last edited by nash on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Eddie Johnson on the Lakers' young talent.

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/764086421967601665

Eddie Johnson is a very smart man.

Nice breakdown by a NBA legend.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
DzLaker wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
nash wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Russell - superstar
Ingram - superstar

BINGO!

I mean Ingram and Zubs still have to play a single NBA game and no player of our young core had a KAT like season to predict they are going to be that great and at the same time they all just had the opportunity to play under a terrible coach and system to tell they are not going to be that good, so before at least one full season under a good coach we can have a clue, high now it's too much of a jedi master thing trying to predict the future and by the way, jedi masters failed miserably trying to do so

Okay let's take Ingram since he was one of the two discussed (the other being Russell).

There are say two extremes as far as outcome in 8 years when Ingram reaches the cusp of several peak years at the age of 26 during his career.

At that time, 8 years from now, one extreme would be he has still not even become a starter, the other extreme is that he is at the threshold of making the all-star team.

We can agree that these would of course be the obvious diametrically opposite two extreme results along the spectrum of possible outcomes, RIGHT?

My point is that if we had to make a choice of putting down money on either of these two extreme outcomes, I'm clearly inclined to want to put MY MONEY on the side of "all-star" soon if not already there as opposed to putting MY MONEY on still not even a "starter" after 8 years of his career in the NBA have elapsed.

We can also agree that 8 years is a very long time, and who knows what might transpire during that time, but if we HAD to put OUR money on either end of this spectrum outlined above.....

...... Where would YOUR MONEY be?

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lebron voice, "Not 1, not 2, not 3...."

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Missing that legit 1st option in order to be a true contender. This is how I see it in 2-3 years

1.??
2. DLO-20/4/6
3. Ingram 20/6/3/1.5/1.5
4. Randle 15/11
5. Center-Provides all the blue collar work (Zubac?)
6. JC-16/4/4
7. Nance 8/5

Add a Paul George or another legit 1st option and the players buy in on defense, we could be real contenders.

The list above is also why I wasn't the biggest fan of giving players who don't fit our timeline long term deals taking away flexibility. Hopefully we add another top 3 pick allowing us to draft another stud or use it in a trade. Also holding out hope Brown can become a solid bench player and live up to his role player potential. Would be a solid 8th-9th man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: