News 'n Views - June 2016: Lakers prepared for another summer of rejection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
The Lakers reportedly aren't interested in trading for Jahlil Okafor
by silverscreenandroll.com

One deal many have speculated about doesn't seem likely any longer.

A popular speculative rumor this offseason has been some iteration of Jahlil Okafor winding up with the Lakers and/or D'Angelo Russell being sent to the 76ers. The deal hasn't made very much sense from the get-go as the Lakers could just have easily drafted Okafor last season and both rookies had solid first years, but here we are.

The deal continues to look less likely each time it's brought up, and this instance is no different.

As everyone knows at this point, the Sixers sit at the top draft slot, with the Lakers following second in what many perceive as a two-man draft. The Lakers don't have a center and the Sixers seem intent on collecting as many as they possibly can, which is an odd strategy. On the surface, there might be a fit, but there's really nothing there beyond that.

According to several actual reports, Philly preferred Russell to Okafor, but had to go with the latter when the Lakers surprised everyone and drafted a point guard. Now that the Sixers have three young centers (Okafor, Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid) and the two other prospects who could join them this years play power forward (Ben Simmons and Dario Saric), they need to free up the log jam. The Lakers, it seems will not help them do so.

This, via Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders (though with the following disclaimer*):

Nothing I have heard leads me there. 76ers have been all over the place looking at options. LA not one I am aware of https://t.co/ITQ1r2gVAA

— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) June 14, 2016

The since-deleted tweet asked Kyler about a possible Okafor-to-L.A. trade, but as he says, it doesn't seem all that likely.

The Lakers seem to really like Russell, who has been working his tail off this summer. They've referred to him and Jordan Clarkson as the backcourt of the future at least once (and probably more than that), and if that's how they see those two, it's unlikely they'd let Clarkson walk via free agency or split them up by trading Russell away.

Continued....

Finally! Now can we please let all this Okafor back to LA stuff die? We don't want him. He doesn't fit.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

A popular speculative rumor this offseason has been some iteration of Jahlil Okafor winding up with the Lakers and/or D'Angelo Russell being sent to the 76ers. The deal hasn't made very much sense from the get-go as the Lakers could just have easily drafted Okafor last season and both rookies had solid first years, but here we are.

Continued....

Finally! Now can we please let all this Okafor back to LA stuff die? We don't want him. He doesn't fit.

Forget Okafor... trade Julius Randle for a draft pick (Murray or Hield) and go hard after Al Horford (prying him away from Atlanta would not be easy) or Dwight Powell (restricted FA from Dallas but we'd overpay for a shot at him in a Lakers uniform)... both players are better than Randle.

Then sign Hassan Whiteside... with a resigned Brandon Bass and the Lakers are set.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
tony smith wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Forget Okafor... trade Julius Randle for a draft pick (Murray or Hield) and go hard after Al Horford (prying him away from Atlanta would not be easy) or Dwight Powell (restricted FA from Dallas but we'd overpay for a shot at him in a Lakers uniform)... both players are better than Randle.

Then sign Hassan Whiteside... with a resigned Brandon Bass and the Lakers are set.
Interesting

Getting an older and undersized center (Horford
Trading a known quality for draft choice(s) in a draft that is not very deep
Max Contract(?) for a late-bloomer center who hasn't played well until his contract year

There are seriously considered good decisions

Okafor is a bust - on and off the court for any title-contending team
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

The deal continues to look less likely each time it's brought up, and this instance is no different.

As everyone knows at this point, the Sixers sit at the top draft slot, with the Lakers following second in what many perceive as a two-man draft. The Lakers don't have a center and the Sixers seem intent on collecting as many as they possibly can, which is an odd strategy. On the surface, there might be a fit, but there's really nothing there beyond that.

According to several actual reports, Philly preferred Russell to Okafor, but had to go with the latter when the Lakers surprised everyone and drafted a point guard. Now that the Sixers have three young centers (Okafor, Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid) and the two other prospects who could join them this years play power forward (Ben Simmons and Dario Saric), they need to free up the log jam. The Lakers, it seems will not help them do so.

This, via Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders (though with the following disclaimer*):

Nothing I have heard leads me there. 76ers have been all over the place looking at options. LA not one I am aware of https://t.co/ITQ1r2gVAA

— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) June 14, 2016

The since-deleted tweet asked Kyler about a possible Okafor-to-L.A. trade, but as he says, it doesn't seem all that likely.

The Lakers seem to really like Russell, who has been working his tail off this summer. They've referred to him and Jordan Clarkson as the backcourt of the future at least once (and probably more than that), and if that's how they see those two, it's unlikely they'd let Clarkson walk via free agency or split them up by trading Russell away.

Continued....

Always thought that rumour was silly.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
M2K wrote:
tony smith wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Interesting

Getting an older and undersized center (Horford
Trading a known quality for draft choice(s) in a draft that is not very deep
Max Contract(?) for a late-bloomer center who hasn't played well until his contract year

There are seriously considered good decisions

Okafor is a bust - on and off the court for any title-contending team

Even more interesting

The Lakers are a better team replacing Randle with Horford or Powell. Horford offers veteran leadership, a better all around game than Randle, better FG% FT% 3PT% than Randle and the flexibility to play two positions. Horford over Randle all day, every day.

As for Dwight Powell, two inches taller than Randle, the guy plays above the rim, better shot blocker, better FG% and FT%, quicker than Randle, better at steals. Randle is the better rebounder and has better handles.

With DLO at he helm, the alley-oop dunks with Nance Jr and Powell would be endless.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

If Ingram goes second, he's ready to prove the Sixers wrong

The consensus second pick took a tour of ESPN studios and spoke about his prospects heading into the draft

Brandon Ingram, much like the fans of whichever team drafts him, seems desperately ready for the NBA draft -- now just eight days away. He took a tour of the morning ESPN circuit and spoke about what lies ahead for him and his budding NBA career.

The overriding message: He's ready. Regardless of where he winds up, he wants to leave his mark and learn from those throughout the league.

First, he appeared on ESPN First Take, where he was asked more inflammatory questions (because of course), starting with his impression of Ben Simmons. Skip Bayless tried to trap Ingram with a question about the player popularly slated to go first overall, but Ingram wasn't going to create any headlines there. He showed nothing but respect, calling Simmons a double-double type player with incredible passing ability. Passed that first test.

Then, the conversation shifted back to Ingram's game. Bayless brings up his shooting in college. Ingram wasn't content with just that reputation, however, saying he wants to be seen as an overall scorer, not just a shooter. To this point, there are plenty of highlights of Ingram putting the ball on the floor and exploding toward the rim. The athleticism and strength in the NBA will obviously make this tougher, but Ingram wants everyone to know he's ready for the challenge.

Bayless then asked about how Ingram would handle being drafted second. More specifically, would he set out to prove the world wrong about him not being drafted first? Ingram's response was pretty concise:

"Most definitely. Me being a competitor I think that's very important in my eyes, to not just go at him but go at every player in the league and try to learn from different players that's already been there."

(Note: Brandon Ingram is incredibly soft-spoken. I wouldn't say in a shy way; more that he tries to get the most out of every word he utters.)

Ingram looked considerably more comfortable in his appearance on SportsCenter, even with his mic cutting out before the interview started. This was unfortunate, as he was asked what the Lakers offer as a situation.

When his mic was working, Ingram was asked about the chance to go first and join another former Duke Blue Devil.

On going first: "It would be great to play with (Jahlil Okafor)." Says he would’ve loved to have played with him at Duke.

— Anthony F. Irwin (@AnthonyIrwinLA) June 15, 2016

The next tidbit came when asked about what it might take to succeed physically in the NBA. This was an eye opener.

Just trying to eat the right things and stay in the weight room. I know my weight's going to come naturally, but I'm trying to do everything I can to get my weight up and get stronger in each and every way he can.

Do doctors think he's still growing?

Most definitely. I'm grown two inches every year since my freshman year, so I think I'm still growing.

Wut.

Continuned....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram On Why He Should Go First Overall (video)
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Lakers’ draft prospect, Brandon Ingram hasn’t been shy about talking to the media, this time going on ESPN’s First Take to sit down with Skip Bayless and Molly Qerim

Recently working out for the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia 76ers, the two teams expected to take him in the upcoming NBA Draft, Brandon Ingram has said and done everything right throughout the course of his short pre-draft journey.

Soft spoken, hard working and staying true to his word of being accountable and taking responsibility for his own actions, any team would be ecstatic to have Ingram as a building block moving forward.

Coming fresh off the news that the Philadelphia 76ers are still unsure of who they are going to pick come June 23, First Take got straight to the point asking Ingram why he thinks he should be the first overall pick.

My characteristic standpoints. I think I have high character, I have a mental toughness about myself, and I have something that I don’t think other guys have.

I think when you look at my body type you see all these weaknesses, but I think I’m actually stronger than people think. So, I think I bring an advantage to the table.

While Simmons is often characterized by his cockiness, though that seems to have been over played, Ingram on the other hand is more so praised for his humble confidence as is shown by his answer to this question and the questions that followed.

In regards to “all these weaknesses,” Ingram revealed that before entering the NBA he hopes to be about 210, 13 pounds more than his current weight of 197.

Skip Bayless also tried to bait Ingram into talking bad about his counter-part, Ben Simmons, but he managed to stay professional as expected. In regards to Simmons, Ingram said,

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram on ESPN’s ‘Mike and Mike’ (video)
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Lakers’ draft prospect, Brandon Ingram made the ESPN rounds on Wednesday hitting up ‘Mike and Mike’ and ‘First Take’ on the same day

To get things started, it must be stated that the Los Angeles Lakers are in the perfect situation in terms of the draft. While Philadelphia 76ers thought they won when they got the first overall draft pick, the Lakers may actually be in the better position come draft night.

This is to say, if the Sixers take Ben Simmons, they take Brandon Ingram, and vice versa. However, if the first pick is a flop and the second is a gem, Philadelphia will get bashed, but if the opposite happens, the Lakers are spared because they had “no choice.”

Though it seems unlikely that the latter occurs, because both players look to be future stars in the making, the Sixers’ position leaves much to be desired.

With that out of the way, while on ESPN’s First Take, the first question asked was why Brandon Ingram thought he should be the first overall pick. However, the guys over at Mike and Mike had a different spin on the question, practically asking if it mattered if he went first overall or not.

At some standpoint you always want to go for a higher goal but I’m just happy to be here.

I never thought I would have been here and I’m just happy to get drafted and hear my name being called

Further, instead of asking what he thought of Ben Simmons as a player a la First Take, they asked whether Ingram could beat him one-on-one.

“Me, as a competitor, of course I would say that.”

Ingram went on to reveal that his freshman year in high school he was 6’2 and “kind of grew like two inches every year,” even growing an inch in college. Considering what has been reported in regards to Devin Booker’s NBA growth spurt, this is another positive sign for prospective teams.

Moreover, similar to Anthony Davis, this could explain Ingram’s guard like abilities seeing that he played every position in high school and at Duke.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Bryan Colangelo says 76ers change their mind 'every day' on who they want to pick first overall
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The men running NBA teams are having the same debates over who they should pick in the draft that fans are.

When evaluating the 2016 NBA Draft, most would agree there are two players at the top. On one hand is LSU freshman Ben Simmons, and on the other is another freshman phenom, Duke forward Brandon Ingram.

However, it seems like the consensus on which one is the better prospect for the two teams at the top, the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia 76ers, changes with the direction the wind is blowing. Should the teams value the shooting and seamless fit of Ingram more? Or should they go with the higher upside selection of Simmons?

The Los Angeles Lakers themselves are reportedly telling agents around the league they have yet to decide who they'll take second overall, which makes sense considering they don't know for sure which players will be available.
The Lakers aren't alone in this indecisiveness, as Philadelphia 76ers president Bryan Colangelo told ESPN that their team's choice with the first oveall pick isn't set in stone yet, either (emphasis mine):

"Brandon is everything we thought he was. Obviously in a one-on-none workout you aren't going to learn everything about a player, but that is why we scouted a lot of basketball games, watched a lot of tape," Colangelo said. "He is a versatile forward that was handle the ball, shoot the ball ... he is a silky-smooth small forward."

Could Ingram actually jump Simmons, who likely won't be making a trip to Philadelphia, for the No. 1 pick?
"It changes every day," Colangelo said.

Just like it makes sense that the Lakers aren't even revealing privately to those around the league who they'll take, Colangelo has no reason to tip his hand on which player the Sixer will select. Why make other teams' jobs easier, or lock themselves into a pick publicly when they could change their mind for various reasons over the next week? There is no benefit to such a commitment.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell primed to shine in sophomore season with Lakers
by Keith Rivas - lasportshub.com

The latest Lakers rumors have a lot of good things to say about D’Angelo Russell.

His first season out of college went in about as interesting of a fashion as they can come, and the best part is that the sophomore campaign of D’Angelo Russell is going to look nothing like it.

Everything around him is going to be new, from not living in the shadow of Kobe Bryant to having a coach who understands the importance of growing pains as a player.

All in all, he won’t be the same player, either — he’ll be much better.

Russell averaged 13.2 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game while getting a hair shy of 30 minutes of playing time per outing — not bad for a rookie, but there was obviously room for improvement.

Bleacher Report recently published an article highlighting some of the players heading for breakout seasons, with D’Angelo Russell making that list.

Giving the young star support is one thing, but giving it to him even when he finds himself struggling is another story.

Whatever he can do to better master his game on the court will help the Lakers in both the short-term and the long run, as it will impact the influence of top draft selections or any off-season free agency additions the team is able to put together.

But above all of that, the way he carries himself off the court will be the biggest indicator of any real change in his approach to the game.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance, Jr. says the young Lakers need to develop to attract free agents

The sophomore forward says he's working on his three-point shot and is focused on improving for next season.

"Development" is a word constantly thrown around as a goal for young players, but it's so broad as to nearly be meaningless. Develop what? Better defensive instincts? A more well-rounded post game? Learn to pass out of a double-team?

In the case of Los Angeles Lakers sophomore forward Larry Nance, Jr., the offseason development goals are pretty simple: space the floor.

"If I can just continue to take that 15-footer, and this summer we're even kinda stretching it out to the three a little bit, with confidence, that's going to be huge for not only my game, but the whole team's offense," Nance Jr. told Andy and Brian Kamenetzky of ESPN during an appearance on their Land O' Lakers podcast on Wednesday.

However, just because Nance, Jr. says he wants to take his game behind the three-point line doesn't mean he sees himself as the elusive "three-and-D" player for the Lakers going forward.

"I don't want to be in that role," Nance, Jr. said after a brief pause to consider his words. "Now if that's what's called upon, yeah I'll do it, but I would say I want to be limited to just the three-point line, because that's not where my strengths lie. I'm an around the basket explosive athlete, so that's where I want to be."

Several players learned just how explosive the Wyoming product was the hard way last season, and he says he just wants to make sure he's not moving away from the paint permanently.

"Just [enough] to make sure if I'm out there [at the three-point line] you have to respect it," said Nance, Jr. "That's more so where my plans lie."

Improving individually as a shooter isn't the only part of Nance Jr.'s plan to improve the Lakers. The rest of the team's young core has to continue to develop, not only so they can improve the team on their own, but also to attract free agents.

"Us four, us five guys are going to really need to have good chemistry in order to turn this thing around and attract some big names," said Nance, Jr. He understands those big names would be taking a leap of faith in joining a rebuilding Lakers squad, and that it's up to the team's young core to make that proverbial gap seem less precarious.

"Just kind of put yourself in those shoes. You're leaving a team because they're not in contention to win [a championship], so why would you go to a different team that doesn't have the pieces that you can build around to get to that point?" said Nance, Jr. "So we as a younger group have to show 'hey we're working, we're getting better, and sooner rather than later we're going to be ready to compete.'"

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject:

Season in Review: Larry Nance, Jr.
by Honi Ahmadian - lakersoutsiders.com

No Lakers rookie was more of a surprise than Larry Nance, Jr. Taken with the 27th overall pick in a bit of a surprise decision, the power forward had an immensely successful season considering expectations.

The Wyoming product finished the season averaging 5.5 points and 5.0 rebounds per game, but those numbers do not necessarily do him justice. On a per-36-minute basis, Nance put up a more than solid ten points and nine rebounds, which is great production from someone who was slated by many to be an end of the rotation player in the future.

Nance’s immense energy was great for a Lakers team often bereft of it. Despite a grueling and tough season that saw most of the team playing out the last few months just so it could be over, Nance’s play never wavered. That bodes well for his future as an energetic big off the bench willing to do the proverbial dirty work.

But Nance showed off the ability to do more than just rebound and score off putbacks. In fact, the big man showcased a level of skill that most did not expect.

That skill started with his jump shooting. It was certainly not perfect, but Nance showed off much more than what was expected from him coming into the season. In the early parts of the season, especially, the big man seemed unable to miss from the midrange. As expected, that regressed but by the end of the season, Nance looked like he could have a future as a floor spacer from that position:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

Brandon Bass officially opts out of contract

Should Los Angeles bring him back?

Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Bass has exercised his player option and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer, according to Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times. Bass, according to the invaluable Basketball Insiders salary pages made $3 million this season and would have made a reported $3,135,000 had he opted-in to his player option. He will likely receive a substantial raise from whatever team he signs with as the NBA's salary cap continues to skyrocket, but according to Turner, he "hopes to return to the Lakers."

The production of Bass was one of the few positives for the Lakers during the 2015-16 season. He wasn't a seamless fit as a small-ball center off of the bench out of the gate, but after a few games he adjusted to the position and was able to space the floor a bit on offense while showing a surprising ability to protect the rim a bit as well.

The veteran forward's net rating of -2.6 was the second highest of any Lakers player who appeared in more than 40 games for the team, meaning the Lakers were outscored by just under three points per 100 possessions while Bass played, no small accomplishment on a team that was outscored by an average of 10.6 points per 100 possessions last season.

Bass was additionally part of what was by far the Lakers' best lineup to play more than 80 minutes over the course of the season, a five-man unit that additionally featured Kobe Bryant, Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell, and Julius Randle that posted an offensive rating of 124.5 and outscored opponents by 7.7 points per 100 possessions. That lineup gave up 116.8 points per 100 possessions and didn't play significant minutes, but all five units that played more posted negative net ratings, further testament to Bass' value.

Continued....
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Bryan Colangelo says 76ers change their mind 'every day' on who they want to pick first overall

The men running NBA teams are having the same debates over who they should pick in the draft that fans are.

When evaluating the 2016 NBA Draft, most would agree there are two players at the top. On one hand is LSU freshman Ben Simmons, and on the other is another freshman phenom, Duke forward Brandon Ingram.

However, it seems like the consensus on which one is the better prospect for the two teams at the top, the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia 76ers, changes with the direction the wind is blowing. Should the teams value the shooting and seamless fit of Ingram more? Or should they go with the higher upside selection of Simmons?

Continued....

Philadelphia will go with Ben Simmons... unless they drop the ball, suffer brain damage and give into the hype of Brandon Ingram.

Ben Simmons gives indications of being a transcendent player (Magic, Bird, Michael, etc). A competent Front Office takes the gamble, they take the risk of blowing the draft pick for a very rare opportunity to add that type of player to their team.

If Philly does and it doesn't work out with Simmons, few people can say it wasn't the right decision "at the time" based on what Simmons has done on the court. If Philly doesn't and Simmons ends up being another Magic, Bird or Michael for another team (Lakers), the Philly Front office will be ridiculed for years.

Philly brought Brandon Ingram in for a workout... but they are just going through the motions. Ben Simmons will wear a 76er uniform next year, bank on it.

Last edited by M2K on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers want to keep Lou Williams
by Honi Ahmadian - lakersoutsiders.com

As the draft approaches and free agency follows, the focus of the Los Angeles Lakers and their fans has turned to the future. Armed with a young core, the second overall pick, and ample cap space, things look good in Laker Land as the team attempts to take a step forward after three straight seasons of hitting franchise lows in wins.

But while we look to additions to the Lakers’ roster, it may be worthwhile to also remember the players, namely the veterans, already on the team.

Perhaps most notable among those players is Lou Williams. The guard and former sixth man of the year award winner had a solid first season in Los Angeles, though he was not much of a difference-maker. His altered role as a starter and closer at the hands of Byron Scott left a poor taste in many fans’ mouths as he was seen as a detriment to D’Angelo Russell’s development.

Nevertheless, Williams had and still has value as a scorer off the bench especially on a cheap contract ($7 million per year) that will look even cheaper under a new cap this summer.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject:

Jordan Clarkson apparently doesn't miss three-pointers anymore

Look out, rest of the NBA.

Following a season in which the Los Angeles Lakers set a new low for the worst record in the history of their franchise, there are a lot of the things the team has to improve. Near the top of the list is their three-point shooting, especially now that they have a head coach who thinks it wins championships.

The Lakers weren't even close to the level of shooting required to win at a championship level over the course of the 2015-16 season, with their 31.7 percent success rate from behind the arc ranking as the worst percentage in the league. Their shooting ability, or lack thereof, really shot them in the foot when considering their 24.6 attempts per game were the 13th most of any team in the league.

Jordan Clarkson was responsible for 4.1 of those threes each game, and while he shot a respectable 34.7 percent, the third-year guard has been fairly vocal in his desire to improve his outside shot this offseason.

"I spend a lot of time in the gym," Clarkson told Silver Screen and Roll in an interview at his basketball camp last week. "A lot of shooting, a lot of reps. I did a lot of work last summer on my midrange stuff, but now I just want to be able to stretch my game out a little bit more. Shooting off the dribble and making plays behind the line."

Today we got a look at some of those reps, and the results of Clarkson's training seem fairly promising:

(good) #NBA players, @JClark5on, very rarely miss shots in training. The league is made for 90%'ers. #EGTShooting pic.twitter.com/FgfPWNxEyv

— Elite Guard Training (@EGTBasketball) June 16, 2016

As the tweet notes, NBA players like Clarkson shoot better in an open gym, but to see him confidently knocking down threes with a smooth stroke is a promising sign of his offseason development.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject:

Jason Terry: LeBron James ‘Rattled’ By Trash Talk; Kobe Bryant Complete Opposite
by Nathaniel Lastrapes - lakersnation.com

Kobe Bryant has been retired for just over two months now, after the exclamation point he added to his career with his 60-point performance on April 13. Despite not playing in a basketball game for two months, Kobe is still relevant in the basketball world during the NBA Finals.

Most of the conversation about Kobe going on is about how he possessed the killer instinct on the court that many basketball fans do not see in LeBron James, who once claimed that he was the best player in the world. James has been criticized for “breaking the code” of his peers after he informed the media of the trash talk that occurred between himself and Draymond Green during Game 4 of the NBA Finals between the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers.

LeBron was clearly rattled by Green in Game 4, and his killer instinct was in question, leading many fans to draw the comparison to Kobe’s attitude. Jason Terry of the Houston Rockets recently made an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio’s show “The Runway” and made a comparison between Kobe and LeBron:

“You don’t say anything to Kobe. I mean, no, not at all. You don’t talk to him. Because if you get Kobe going, it’s going to be a long night. I was on that same team that Kobe gave us [62 points] in three quarters, so Kobe’s off limits. We really ain’t saying much to Kob’.”

Kobe was notorious for being able to back up his trash talk with his play, and Terry was well aware of this. Terry went on to criticize LeBron’s toughness:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers prefer Brandon Ingram over Ben Simmons

We finally got a look into how draft night would go if L.A. was picking first.

The Los Angeles Lakers, as per usual, remain tight-lipped with their thoughts about, well, really anything. In this case, the NBA Draft is less than a week away and we're finally getting our first glimpse into how they would handle draft night had they won the lottery outright.

Per Jonathan Givony of Yahoo Sports' "The Vertical", the Lakers have a preference between Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram, the consensus top two prospects of the incoming rookie class. It appears the Lakers aren't overthinking this with consideration of other players or complicated trades, which is great to see.

While Simmons is obviously incredibly talented and would bring plenty of excitement to Los Angeles with his abilities in the open court, there is some question as to fit alongside Julius Randle and Larry Nance, Jr. Now, we can debate the idea of "fit" on a 17-win team, but duplication of assets at this stage of the rebuild rarely works out as planned. Just look at the Sixers, who will almost certainly have to move one of their young centers (Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel or Joel Embiid) and the entire league knows this, which could lower Philadelphia's leverage in negotiations considerably.

Here's how Givony puts it in his latest mock draft:

In a draft many consider to have a significant dropoff after the second pick, the Lakers will be happy to "settle" for whomever the Sixers pass. Ingram is the player the Lakers would have targeted at No. 1 had they won the lottery, sources told The Vertical. He is a perfect fit for their roster and should generate a great deal of excitement about the future.

In the paragraph about Philadelphia's intentions, Givony reports that the Sixers are telling other teams they plan on drafting Simmons, which would pave the way for the Lakers to land their preferred target. That said, it sounds like the Lakers would happily select Simmons should Philadelphia alter course at the last moment.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

How Brandon Ingram fits with the Lakers (video)
by Gary Kester - lakersoutsiders.com

One month has passed since the NBA Draft Lottery, where the Los Angeles Lakers landed the No. 2 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.

Since then, the speculation surrounding who the Lakers will select with the pick has centered primarily around one player: Brandon Ingram.

As we draw closer to draft day on June 23, the odds of the Philadelphia 76ers selecting LSU’s Ben Simmons with the top pick seem more and more likely, which would pave the way for Los Angeles to plug a hole at the small forward position with Ingram.

The 18-year-old out of Duke is regarded by some as the top prospect in this draft class, but how exactly would he fit in with the young core already established in Los Angeles?

Our friend Pete Zayas examines Ingram’s overall game and how he would fit in with the young Lakers, under the watch of new head coach Luke Walton.

VIDEO
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

What can the Lakers expect from Jesse Mermuys?

It sounds like Los Angeles made a solid hire.

Actual, tangible news on the Los Angeles Lakers is hard to find in the middle of June during an NBA Finals the team isn't playing in. Most of it concerns smoke-filled backroom whispers about their intentions in the 2016 NBA Draft or free agency, but the team seems to have made a concrete move in recent days with reports they will add Raptors 905 (the Toronto Raptors' D-League team) head coach Jesse Mermuys to Luke Walton's assistant coaching staff.

One of the hardest things to understand from outside of a team is what exactly their various assistant coaches are bringing to the table. So to add a bit of clarity on what exactly the Lakers (and by extension their fans) can expect from Mermuys' hire, Silver Screen and Roll reached out to Blake Murphy, managing editor of Raptor's Republic.

Murphy covered Mermuys closely with the 905 last season, and offered some great insight into his strengths as a coach. Here is our (lightly) edited Q&A:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject:

Highlights from the Lakers’ workout of the very confident Buddy Hield
by Grant Goldberg - lakersoutsiders.com

The Lakers have a history of outgoing, uber-successful guards. Jerry West is the logo, Earvin Johnson is almost exclusively is acknowledged as Magic, Kobe is..well..Kobe, and now the Lakers are looking to D’Angelo Russell and the ice in his veins to spearhead their youth movement. When June 23rd comes and goes, will the Lakers have another confident guard on the roster?

Not with the second overall pick, at least. The Lakers will likely address their need on the wing by selecting Duke’s Brandon Ingram, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing their due-diligence on the Draft’s other talent.

Today, the Lakers worked out Chavano Rainier Hield, or as he’s slightly better known, Buddy. This was Hield’s second workout with the team, but it was the first private session with Los Angeles. Hield is widely regarded as the draft’s best shooter, but his age and defensive issues are the reason he likely won’t go in the top-three selections.

Hield shot the ball well to the standards of many but was unsatisfied with his performance, so the former Sooner requested a second catch-and-shoot drill. Here’s a clip of the portion of Hield’s workout that was available to the media, captured by L.A. Daily News’ Mark Medina.

Back to the earlier theme of confidence, Hield was certainly not lacking it when talking to the media. Throughout his session with the media, Hield was full of interesting quotes, the following of which is transcribed from Lakers.com.

When asked about whether the Lakers should take him with the second overall pick, Hield answered with this:

Yeah, I’m just what the franchise needs. The Lakers are losing Kobe and need a scorer. Why not?

Shoot. Your. Shot.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

There's no reason to believe the Lakers are trading D'Angelo Russell or drafting Marquese Chriss

When draft rumor season gets out of control.

With less than a week to go until the 2016 NBA Draft, everyone wants to know what the Los Angeles Lakers are going to do. Could the team trade their draft pick or one of their young players? Would they really select anyone other than Brandon Ingram or Ben Simmons with the second overall pick? What if they [generic third thing to complete the rule of threes]?

The Lakers certainly "could" do just about anything they are legally permitted to do under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement over the next few days. If they actually "would" do any of these possibilities (ranging from "that's plausible" to "drafting Buddy Hield second overall" levels of crazy) is a very different question.

The latest comments to make waves came from Lakers fan's favorite reporter, Chad Ford of ESPN, during a Sportscenter appearance. The issue at hand today is whether these comments about the Lakers considering drafting Marquese Chriss or trading D'Angelo Russell were a report, or just Ford's opinion. Read for yourself, but after parsing them, I think it's the latter (comments transcribed by James Herbert of CBS Sports, but the emphasis is mine):

With less than a week to go until the 2016 NBA Draft, everyone wants to know what the Los Angeles Lakers are going to do. Could the team trade their draft pick or one of their young players? Would they really select anyone other than Brandon Ingram or Ben Simmons with the second overall pick? What if they [generic third thing to complete the rule of threes]?

The Lakers certainly "could" do just about anything they are legally permitted to do under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement over the next few days. If they actually "would" do any of these possibilities (ranging from "that's plausible" to "drafting Buddy Hield second overall" levels of crazy) is a very different question.

The latest comments to make waves came from Lakers fan's favorite reporter, Chad Ford of ESPN, during a Sportscenter appearance. The issue at hand today is whether these comments about the Lakers considering drafting Marquese Chriss or trading D'Angelo Russell were a report, or just Ford's opinion. Read for yourself, but after parsing them, I think it's the latter (comments transcribed by James Herbert of CBS Sports, but the emphasis is mine):

Let's go through this line by line.

"They've brought in Marquese Chriss, they've taken a long look at him..."

Judging by Ford's phrasing, the above is a report.

"They've brought in Dragan Bender, Jaylen Brown... the Lakers have explored other options."

These are all players the Lakers have reportedly looked at, which is the definition of "exploring other options."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle Working Hard With Tim DiFrancesco (Video)
by Eric Yee - lakersnation.com

Larry Nance Jr.recently went on the record to say that the young Lakers need to work hard in order to entice free agents and that’s exactly what they’re doing this offseason

Immediately following the Lakers’ final game against the Utah Jazz in April, Julius Randle publicly let it be known that he had plans to become “great” this offseason. While it’s one thing to talk to the talk, Randle and his teammates’ actions speak for themselves.

In specific regards to Randle, though he is an intriguing prospect, it’s likely that complete greatness will not be actualized this summer, seeing how there are various aspects of his game that need improving. For example, while he is a dominant rebounder, his defending, shooting and decision making all leave something to be desired.

“Greatness,” whatever that entails, however, often starts with a certain mindset and work ethic, something which the junior forward seems to have faux Kobe-like levels of.

Continuing their series of #LAKERSWORK workout videos, strength and conditioning coach, Tim DiFrancesco revealed the various things he is working on with Randle to improve what he describes as his “violent style of basketball.”

He’s giving hits, he’s not taking them. When you can produce that much speed and power, you have to be able to stop and slow down and decelerate and land from those explosive movements

Seeing how Randle came fresh off of a season ending leg injury, making last year technically his rookie season, it’s good that the team is prioritizing strengthening his core and lower body.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

New Lakers coach Luke Walton has a laid-back beach bro image, but friends, family call him a fierce competitor, inclusive leader
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

For warm-ups, they run a layup line and shoot hoops on a portable basket they drag onto the sand. They call their tent the Forum Club. Under a cadet blue sky, the toned bronze renegades of Manhattan Beach volleyball draw the attention of thousands of onlookers as they rush onto the sand, bearing the symbols of their peculiar faith.

They wear afro-style wigs and golden Lakers jerseys in strict adherence to the scripture that guides their devotion: the 1985 Chevy Chase comedy film “Fletch.”

In the middle of the highly competitive and even more irregular spectacle that unfolds every July, the Charlie Saikley 6-Man Beach Volleyball Tournament, is an easily recognized 6-foot-8 player who is a menacing protector on the front line and an able passer, just as he was as an NBA player.

The coiled auburn mop is cropped tighter than when he was a basketball player, but Luke Walton remains the portrait of a laidback beach bro.

“A slow-talking Californian,” says Bruce Fraser, a Golden State Warriors assistant.

“Every time I see Luke,” longtime Lakers trainer Gary Vitti says, “it’s always at the beach and he’s always full of sand.”

This is the man who late Sunday night, one way or another, will become the 26th head coach of the Lakers. After Game 7 of the Finals, Walton, the Golden State Warriors lead assistant coach, will either celebrate the culmination of one of the greatest seasons in NBA history, or mourn his team’s historic collapse from a commanding 3-1 series lead. Either way, he will gather himself, and turn his attention to the challenges facing his new team.

Walton is uniquely positioned to confront them.

For generations, the organization has embodied Hollywood. The Lakers are Magic and Showtime, a courtside halo of stars of television and film.

The most Hollywood thing about Walton, however, might just be the fact that he plays on a party-loving volleyball team that celebrates a cult classic.

Instead, he represents the other pillar of L.A.’s glamorous reputation: the beach.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject:

Lakers Moments: The Los Angeles Lakers Defeat the Boston Celtics, Win 16th NBA Title
by Eric Yee - lakersnation.com

Six years ago to date, the Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Boston Celtics in seven games, winning their second back to back championship and 16th title in franchise history

For die hard Lakers fans, watching the current NBA Finals is mildly depressing. Most recently, spoiled with the dominant era of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal followed by the dynasty of Kobe, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, even younger fans have grown accustomed to the finer things.

That’s why when you realize that the team hasn’t been in the NBA Playoffs since 2013, the season in which Kobe tore his Achilles and Dwight Howard was ejected from the series finale, it’s been a tough pill to swallow.

However, the great thing about the internet today is that you are only a few keyboard strokes away from reliving some of the greatest moments in Lakers’ history. From Kobe’s last game to his 81 point performance, to Magic Johnson‘s baby hook, YouTube makes it all possible.

With that in mind, at least once a year and even more as of late, all things considered, I enjoy re-watching the NBA’s 2010 mini movie series which documents the entire seven game series of the Lakers versus their heated rivals, the Boston Celtics.

Every time I think about this specific video, the first thing that comes to mind is “Big Baby” Glen Davis‘ hilarious pre-game speech. Queue ironic music and film roll.

Continued....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: