Klay Thompson "we're better than the Showtime Lakers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

Kooper 21 wrote:
Warriors fans were saying James Worthy was an overrated soft player and Iggy would lock him up. Might I remind them that Big Game James had a triple double in game 7 of the NBA finals with Dennis Rodman guarding him.

Dennis has mentioned James more than once in the same breath as Jordan when talking about his toughest defensive assignments. James would've left Iggy in the dust. Those twits don't know any better. To them, Worthy wasn't athletic.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Big Game James...soft?

I hope they ain't still talking (bleep) after the frauds they became in this Finals.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Kooper 21 wrote:
Warriors fans were saying James Worthy was an overrated soft player and Iggy would lock him up. Might I remind them that Big Game James had a triple double in game 7 of the NBA finals with Dennis Rodman guarding him.

Dennis has mentioned James more than once in the same breath as Jordan when talking about his toughest defensive assignments. James would've left Iggy in the dust. Those twits don't know any better. To them, Worthy wasn't athletic.

Monster in the post and that spin move was deadly.

Dub Nation completely melted down. Props to them and their 2015 title but one wonders what would the outcome have been with a healthy Irving because he gave that Dub backcourt the business.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
However none of that is stopping their team from being bashed or ot being called a collasal choke effort now is it?

They should be bashed and it was a huge choke. That might be the biggest choke I've ever seen in the NBA.

Quote:
Just as no mercy was given to Magic when they called him "Tragic" Johnson and labeled HIM a choke artist for that finals performance.

This happened in 1989? I don't buy it, but you can go ahead and back it up with some evidence if you're right.

Quote:
But when it's not the Lakers it's ok. Double standards are double standards regardless how you slice it.

The only double standards I see are you bashing the Showtime Lakers when they had devastating injuries and then defending Golden State which had all their star players and were only missing one role player and Green got a well deserved 1 game suspension.

Quote:
Also we made it to the finals without Worthy and got swept.

Oh yeah that James Worthy guy. He was pretty good. And so was that 65 win Sixer team that was 12-1 in the playoffs.

Quote:
So it's pointless to be petty right now. We should be more secure in ourselves as an organization that we don't have to gloat about another team falling.

Seems like you are gloating over the fact a couple of Laker teams got swept in the Finals.

It didn't happen in 1989. I'm pretty sure that silly monicker was briefly used in the early 1980s. Magic would go on to make that statement look quite foolish ... Mr. Rome. He also referred to Cap as Kareem Abdul JaBlunt. What a loser.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Kooper 21 wrote:

Monster in the post and that spin move was deadly.

Dub Nation completely melted down. Props to them and their 2015 title but one wonders what would the outcome have been with a healthy Irving because he gave that Dub backcourt the business.

Yup. Kyrie was a HUGE difference-maker this year. Lebron was damn good both years. If Irving was healthy last year, this most likely would've been the 2nd year in a row that the Warriors lost in the Finals.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject:

Kooper 21 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Kooper 21 wrote:
The Warriors were lucky to have avoided the Spurs the past 2 playoffs. The Warriors have won only 1 game at San Antonio in the past 20 seasons and that was this year. So they are like 1- 32 in the past 40 games at San Antonio. Curry, Thompspn, and Draymond were 0-7 vs Spurs on the road prior to finally winning at the end of the year at San Antonio.

The Spurs came up short 2 years in a row. It wasn't 'luck' it was the Spurs not being able to get it done and Duncan being completely done along with Parker being nearly completely done.

No they were lucky to have avoided them. Lakers were lucky they avoided Celtics in 2009 due to KG's injury. Its about matchups and the Warriors dont play well at San Antonio for some reason. The 86 Celtics whom some call the best team ever was lucky the Lakers choked in 86 to the Rockets.

Lakers were lucky to have avoided the Celtics in 2009 due to KG's injury
Lakers were also lucky to have faced a Rockets team in 2009 that was lead by Ron Artest and Yao Ming for 2 and a half games. Remember that Rockets team took us 7 games... now imagine if that team had Healthy T-Mac along with Ron Artest and if Yao Ming had never gotten hurt....

That however didn't take away from our Championship in 2009, and we rectified our loss to the Celtics in 2010.

All and all it's because these stories are written years apart. ie: When we won 2 championships after losing in the finals the naysayers calling us chokers and soft were made silent because it didn't wind up being the entire story as the chapters weren't written yet how that dynasty would end.

If the Warriors went on to sign Durant and win 3 of the next 4 Championships, no one will remember the 2016 loss, and it will become a 7 minute side-discussion on their 30 for 30 Documentary 10 years from now about the Warriors dynasty.

However it is up to THEM to change the story, as of right now the story is what it will be in 2015 just like ours was at the end of our 2008 season. We changed the ending, it's up to the Warriors to do the same, or they'll wind up a flash in the pan, at least by History's standards. You change the story/shut people up by winning it AFTER you have failed. The Showtime Lakers and Kobe lead Current era Lakers have done this.

We'll know precisely what Golden State is made of after the next 5 seasons have happened. They'll either have made it to the dance and won more, or be the end of the era for an exiting team that won a championship but could never recover from blowing it in their 2nd year.

So will they be a dynasty, or will they be mid-90s Rockets. Who despite being lead by an all-time great in Hakeem and back to back Champions, will never get a documentary like The Bad Boys did because history just doesn't see them as that significant. Just the placeholders while Jordan was away.

So will Golden State be the placeholders between era's...or will they BE the era?

Only time will tell.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject:

Sure they can try to bounce back, and I expect them to be pretty unstoppable next season again like they were this regular season assuming they make wise decisions this offseason. There's no reason to believe they won't. Those Suns team with Nash were entertainingly fun throughout all their regular seasons too, those early 2000 Kings teams were too. This Warriors team I have in the circle as those teams. Thing is...

EVERYONE will remember this 2016 season and loss. You don't break all these historic records, have the media slobber all over you with awards and accolades, talk smack about greats of the past, talk smack about your opponents and then fail to deliver when it counts most.

73 wins. Up 3-1, Choke the finals away.

Nobody forgets that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

No they were lucky to have avoided them. Lakers were lucky they avoided Celtics in 2009 due to KG's injury. Its about matchups and the Warriors dont play well at San Antonio for some reason. The 86 Celtics whom some call the best team ever was lucky the Lakers choked in 86 to the Rockets.

Celts, you can say. It's the same as saying the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s were lucky that the other was out of the picture in 80, 81, 82, 86, and 88. It kinda goes without saying. It's not like those two weren't on equal footing in 2009 and 2010, though, so there's a difference between the "luck" being like scraping by the skin of Shannon Brown's bare locker room ass on TV and the luck of Kobe finding Doc's 1000 bucks in the ceiling (it wouldn't change his life, but even he would smile at found cash). They were the only two legit title contenders and the results of the 11 RS/PO gms in those two years were fairly even save for a couple of outliers. I think we won at Boston in the 09 RS by 1 point. There was a Finals gm in 2010 that had an obscene amount of consecutive lead changes. Very even teams.

Houston, eh... LA won Gm 5 by 40 and were up by 31 in the 4th of Gm 7. They went to 7 because they did their light switch thing after Yao went out. Give those Lakers any reason to drag their feet, they would. If Yao and Artest were in there, I have few doubts the Lakers would've played better/harder than they would w/o. Would it have been tougher with him and Artest? Yeah, but was LA in true danger against them either way? Not really. Denver seemed a lot more harrowing and by the 6th game, they got blown out on their home court. I doubt the majority here really consider 09 HOU in the same way they think of 00 POR, 02 SAC, 10 BOS, or even 12 DEN.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm jumping on this late. Has someone pointed out the obvious that Klay only said this because his dad was a member of the Showtime Lakers? That he'd never say it otherwise?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
I'm jumping on this late. Has someone pointed out the obvious that Klay only said this because his dad was a member of the Showtime Lakers? That he'd never say it otherwise?

Yeah, it's been mentioned.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
composite wrote:

Yeah, it's been mentioned.
It doesn't matter anymore though. It's open season on the Warriors
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

LOL WARRIORS

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
MJST wrote:

Celts, you can say. It's the same as saying the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s were lucky that the other was out of the picture in 80, 81, 82, 86, and 88. It kinda goes without saying. It's not like those two weren't on equal footing in 2009 and 2010, though, so there's a difference between the "luck" being like scraping by the skin of Shannon Brown's bare locker room ass on TV and the luck of Kobe finding Doc's 1000 bucks in the ceiling (it wouldn't change his life, but even he would smile at found cash). They were the only two legit title contenders and the results of the 11 RS/PO gms in those two years were fairly even save for a couple of outliers. I think we won at Boston in the 09 RS by 1 point. There was a Finals gm in 2010 that had an obscene amount of consecutive lead changes. Very even teams.

Houston, eh... LA won Gm 5 by 40 and were up by 31 in the 4th of Gm 7. They went to 7 because they did their light switch thing after Yao went out. Give those Lakers any reason to drag their feet, they would. If Yao and Artest were in there, I have few doubts the Lakers would've played better/harder than they would w/o. Would it have been tougher with him and Artest? Yeah, but was LA in true danger against them either way? Not really. Denver seemed a lot more harrowing and by the 6th game, they got blown out on their home court. I doubt the majority here really consider 09 HOU in the same way they think of 00 POR, 02 SAC, 10 BOS, or even 12 DEN.

interesting comment. how good would you say the 2012 nuggets were? would you put them at 05-06 suns level?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
LOL WARRIORS

A work of art lol.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
However none of that is stopping their team from being bashed or ot being called a collasal choke effort now is it?

They should be bashed and it was a huge choke. That might be the biggest choke I've ever seen in the NBA.

Quote:
Just as no mercy was given to Magic when they called him "Tragic" Johnson and labeled HIM a choke artist for that finals performance.

This happened in 1989? I don't buy it, but you can go ahead and back it up with some evidence if you're right.

Quote:
But when it's not the Lakers it's ok. Double standards are double standards regardless how you slice it.

The only double standards I see are you bashing the Showtime Lakers when they had devastating injuries and then defending Golden State which had all their star players and were only missing one role player and Green got a well deserved 1 game suspension.

Quote:
Also we made it to the finals without Worthy and got swept.

Oh yeah that James Worthy guy. He was pretty good. And so was that 65 win Sixer team that was 12-1 in the playoffs.

Quote:
So it's pointless to be petty right now. We should be more secure in ourselves as an organization that we don't have to gloat about another team falling.

Seems like you are gloating over the fact a couple of Laker teams got swept in the Finals.

It didn't happen in 1989. I'm pretty sure that silly monicker was briefly used in the early 1980s. Magic would go on to make that statement look quite foolish ... Mr. Rome. He also referred to Cap as Kareem Abdul JaBlunt. What a loser.

1984 series where they choked and gift wrapped that title to the C's. They choked instead of holding the ball and forcing the C's to foul in Game 2. And Magic choked those two free throws and terrible turnovers in Game 4. Five point lead with a minute of the clock and possession of the ball and lose. Terrible. Choke job?? Yeah. They put that title in a box and slapped a nice beautiful red bow on top of it and handed it to Boston.

With that said, Dub's was worse. It's like that dude who ran the marathon started waving and the other cat passed him up. 1984 still irks me. lol
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

1984 series where they choked and gift wrapped that title to the C's. They choked instead of holding the ball and forcing the C's to foul in Game 2. And Magic choked those two free throws and terrible turnovers in Game 4. Five point lead with a minute of the clock and possession of the ball and lose. Terrible. Choke job?? Yeah. They put that title in a box and slapped a nice beautiful red bow on top of it and handed it to Boston.

With that said, Dub's was worse. It's like that dude who ran the marathon started waving and the other cat passed him up. 1984 still irks me. lol

Now let's see if the Warriors can redeem themselves with three more rings afterwards. Might be possible, but only if they score KD.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

interesting comment. how good would you say the 2012 nuggets were? would you put them at 05-06 suns level?

Def not, but LA was on par with the Nuggz then. That was the last truly excellent and legitimately exciting game we had before Kobe's final gm 4 whole years later.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: