View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
slavavov wrote:
This is exactly what's wrong with our "Just Us" system. If you are rich and Caucasian, you can buy your freedom after committing a crime. If you're a poor minority who didn't do anything wrong, you're at the mercy of the govt unless you can find some way to have affordable access to an attorney. It seems like the whole public defender system is broken too.

I believe that income is the true dividing line in the justice system. People with money of all races get substantially better representation. Never seen a counter to that argument except that there is nothing that can be done about it. Not arguing that there is no racism, but I think we have no way to truly judge the extent of that with the money issue obfuscating it.
Just my opinion.

Yep. Just look at OJ.

Rich OJ: Glove didn't fit, so acquit
Poor OJ: 33 years on robbery

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
slavavov wrote:
This is exactly what's wrong with our "Just Us" system. If you are rich and Caucasian, you can buy your freedom after committing a crime. If you're a poor minority who didn't do anything wrong, you're at the mercy of the govt unless you can find some way to have affordable access to an attorney. It seems like the whole public defender system is broken too.

I believe that income is the true dividing line in the justice system. People with money of all races get substantially better representation. Never seen a counter to that argument except that there is nothing that can be done about it. Not arguing that there is no racism, but I think we have no way to truly judge the extent of that with the money issue obfuscating it.
Just my opinion.

Yep. Just look at OJ.

Precisely.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject:

Before Giving Stanford Rapist 6 Months, Judge Dealt Another Light Sentence to Domestic Abuser
Democracy Now! | Jun 9, 2016
Quote:
Right before sentencing Stanford rapist Brock Allen Turner to six months in county jail, Judge Aaron Persky presided over a domestic violence case, where the abuser was also dealt a light sentence. Stanford law professor Michele Landis Dauber watched as the victim in that case made a powerful statement to the court and showed photos of her abuse. "She had been beaten so badly that she was completely unrecognizable. ... the photos were almost impossible to look at," recalls Dauber, who is leading an effort to recall Persky. "[Her abuser] got like a weekend or two in jail." Even then, Dauber says, Judge Persky was concerned the man might not be able to make it to work on Monday after his jail term. "We all had to sit there while they tried to communicate with the county jail to make sure that he wouldn’t be super-inconvenienced by having to go to jail for having basically almost beaten this woman to death," Dauber says.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Just my opinion.

Yep. Just look at OJ.

Of sports memorabilia at that.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Brock Turner, the former Stanford University student and swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious and intoxicated woman in 2015, is expected to be released from the Santa Clara County Jail this Friday, September 2, after serving only half of his six-month sentence.

Creep To Be Released Friday
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I hate it when Creeps, reep...!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Bump.

Now this creep is trying to appeal his conviction.

Quote:
A lawyer for Brock Turner, whose six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman prompted outrage in 2016 and beyond, argued this week that the former Stanford swimmer shouldn’t have been convicted of intending to commit rape because he merely sought “outercourse.”

Quote:
During Tuesday’s court appearance and in a brief filed in May, Mr. Multhaup argued that the “outercourse” — defined as sexual activity other than vaginal sex — was all Mr. Turner sought.

Quote:
The jury found sufficient evidence that he had intended to rape the unconscious woman, as rape was defined by California law at the time. But in the appeal, Mr. Multhaup referred to “outercourse” as “an alternative to or substitute for sexual intercourse, not a precursor to it.”

Between this and the way his dad was trying to defend him as was shown earlier in this thread, it's a disgusting example of Rich People Syndrome - the privilege, lack of boundaries, self-entitlement, blaming the victim, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/26/us/brock-turner-victim-outercourse-appeal.html
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

iono man he could have been suffering from a bad bout of Affluenza
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Don't Fear the Raeper is a cool BOC song...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: