Rebuilding slowly vs. Mortgaging the future
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you are guaranteed to win only the next two championships over the span of the next 10 years, would you mortgage away the future and trade away 3 out of 4 of DLo, Randle, JC, #2 Pick?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 56 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 93

jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Rebuilding slowly vs. Mortgaging the future

It's as the poll question says.

With the never-ending discussion and recently heated debate on here about Lebron and KD possibly teaming up in a pipe dream and Lebron's demanding that the kids be traded for "win-now" pieces, which would you prefer?

We're assuming the Lakers will win the next 2 championships, but then Lebron and/or KD will break down and they won't be able to sustain the championship caliber basketball and the Lakers would need a total rebuild again that would take perhaps 8-10 years...who knows how long.

Would you do it?

Personally, I'd do it 10 times out of 10, but i feel like this poll will be closer than most people think
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

This should be a lopsided poll. Yes.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
This should be a lopsided poll. Yes.

It SHOULD be, but i don't know if it will be...

I think people will have various reasons as to voting no...ie

- they want home-grown players winning the chip
- they can't stand LBJ so don't want him
- they think KD isn't clutch enough and chokes so don't want him
- etc...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:

Yes, I would do it.

But it's a whole different story when you remove the guarantee of championship success which is a very real consideration in a real life scenario.

Because in the fake scenario, I sign Lebron and KD to 2-year deals, get rid of the kids, and then start over in 2 years and get new kids.

But in the real life scenario, I have to sign Lebron and KD to much longer term deals, with no guarantee of championship success, and that is a much tougher pill to swallow.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Yes, I would do it.

But it's a whole different story when you remove the guarantee of championship success which is a very real consideration in a real life scenario.

Because in the fake scenario, I sign Lebron and KD to 2-year deals, get rid of the kids, and then start over in 2 years and get new kids.

But in the real life scenario, I have to sign Lebron and KD to much longer term deals, with no guarantee of championship success, and that is a much tougher pill to swallow.

well in this scenario, you're guaranteed the 2 championships, but you're also guaranteed to NOT win the next 10 championships also...so yea, would you trade away 10 miserable rebuilding years for 2 chips?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

If guaranteed Championships then of course yes. How do vote against "guaranteed " championships?

But the problem with the question is there are no guarantees. Even with Lebron and Durant with whatever team the Lakers can put around them there are no guarantees.

In reality it is the "hope" the team could contend with those two. That makes a more interesting debate. The hope of win now or the hope of building and win later. Not as clear cut as the initial question.

As asinine as it sounds I would have some reservations because I think Lebron is fading fast before our eyes. Still an amazing player but I think it is fair to raise concerns of his decline over the next few years. JMO

In reality "if" the Lakers could get both Durant and Lebron at the same time they would do it if for nothing else the marketing and the perception of the Lakers being a marquee team again. Which they would with both those players, if even for a couple years.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Yes, I would do it.

well in this scenario, you're guaranteed the 2 championships, but you're also guaranteed to NOT win the next 10 championships also...so yea, would you trade away 10 miserable rebuilding years for 2 chips?

Yes, because it would be 2 chips plus 8 miserable rebuilding years with a CHANCE in those 8 years for another chip.

The problem with your poll, is that it doesn't address the real world possibility of mortgaging the future for no real return (return being, chips). So in the end, the results of your poll don't really indicate a future vs now reality.

You could do the same poll, and flip the script. Go all in on KD and Lebron and guaranteed to NOT win any championships vs rebuild for the future and guarantee TWO championships in the next 10 years. People will take the latter.

But put real world dynamics and possibilities in to play and it changes everything.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

Get KD & Lebron forcing OKC to rebuild. Dlo & Randle for extended Westbrook

Westbrook/Ingram/KD/James/? Hard to say no.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

Since the championships are guaranteed, can we sign Kobe for those two years as well?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

There's no guarantee we would win here if we had KD and Horford. I would rather we remain patient and stay with the rebuild.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Since the championships are guaranteed, can we sign Kobe for those two years as well?

Let's do it! He finally gets to pass MJ.

Unless signing Kobe would un-guarantee those championships...
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Yes, I would do it.

Yes, because it would be 2 chips plus 8 miserable rebuilding years with a CHANCE in those 8 years for another chip.

The problem with your poll, is that it doesn't address the real world possibility of mortgaging the future for no real return (return being, chips). So in the end, the results of your poll don't really indicate a future vs now reality.

You could do the same poll, and flip the script. Go all in on KD and Lebron and guaranteed to NOT win any championships vs rebuild for the future and guarantee TWO championships in the next 10 years. People will take the latter.

But put real world dynamics and possibilities in to play and it changes everything.

very true...tried to make it as realistic as possible, but yea, definitely falls short of reality.

i was just wondering if people would take 2 chips and trade it for 10 years of guaranteed futility and misery.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

I'd say 5 years as the window, and a chance to make the Finals 2 times as the poll.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:

"Bird in hand worth two in bush"
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

is this like the guarantee of titles when we traded for Nash and Howard ?? and we are still paying up for those trades ? and 0 playoff wins
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Isn't it the road we just turned off from?

We had "guaranteed" trips to finals after trading for CP. Then trading all the future picks for Nash and Howard.
Kobe, Pau, Nash, Howard, what else can "guarantee" a trip to the finals?

Been there, done that.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Hell yes. If you can guaranteed rings you do it no matter what. That's what it's all about.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

Of course you have to go with the chips. It's a big reason we're all Laker fans. We win.....a lot.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Get KD & Lebron forcing OKC to rebuild. Dlo & Randle for extended Westbrook

Westbrook/Ingram/KD/James/? Hard to say no.

Time for me to exit this thread: http://media0.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
There's no guarantee we would win here if we had KD and Horford. I would rather we remain patient and stay with the rebuild.

Signing Horford and Durant is still keeping with the rebuild.

It just means that we've got a team that will be top 5 next year but will only get strong and stronger over time.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Slow please! No more trading 3 first round picks for over 35 point guards.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
This is just too good.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject:

I'm not much for greed

I take the two rings and run
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

I want no part of the LeTeamHop... I'll never root for him. No... Will not do it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

I voted no but I misunderstood the question....voted before any comments and I thought it was saying 2 rings either way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: