* Official 2016 Team USA Olympic Basketball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

The team is still stacked we'll win it regardless.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Wino wrote:
Personally I think a whole bunch of athletes should cancel their appearance. It totally sucks and Brazil should lose the games. A-Holes!

That place is a pigsty. Not to mention the crime, which is massively out of control.

Brazil truly is a very segregated, violent, scary place.

Source: watched Fast Five.

Or maybe he actually has some background about what has gone on over there?

Video is from 2010. But if assuming you stay in the confined areas you should be fine, although I've heard from Brazilians crime is definitely an issue.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The team is still stacked we'll win it regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost honestly.

We've been in this situation 12 years ago, the elite of the elite started sitting out, and we all thought our next best would still destroy the opposition easily.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Wino wrote:
Personally I think a whole bunch of athletes should cancel their appearance. It totally sucks and Brazil should lose the games. A-Holes!

That place is a pigsty. Not to mention the crime, which is massively out of control.

Video is from 2010. But if assuming you stay in the confined areas you should be fine, although I've heard from Brazilians crime is definitely an issue.

I usually go to the olympics (well i've been to 3 of the last 4, skipping Athens because Greece), and there's no way i was going to go to this one. Between the crime and Zika, i think you'd be even more nuts to go there as a tourist than as an athlete.

It's all well and good for people to hold idealistic views when it isn't their own skin, I'll go to Tokyo though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Wino wrote:

I usually go to the olympics (well i've been to 3 of the last 4, skipping Athens because Greece), and there's no way i was going to go to this one. Between the crime and Zika, i think you'd be even more nuts to go there as a tourist than as an athlete.

It's all well and good for people to hold idealistic views when it isn't their own skin, I'll go to Tokyo though.

Damn you're living the life!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

*LeBron James leaning toward skipping Olympics

Quote:
While James has not informed USA Basketball of his decision, team officials are operating with the expectation that it is unlikely James will be part of the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lebron-james-leaning-toward-skipping-olympics-160234669.html

Quote:
. Durant confirmed his inclusion at his KD9 shoe release on Monday, and a report from Marc Stein of ESPN.com adds several stars as locks to join him:

Durant confirmed Monday at his KD 9 shoe release in Austin, Texas, that he planned to play for the United States in Rio de Janeiro this summer.
"I'm excited about it. I'm looking forward to it," he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kevin-durant-confirms-he-will-lead-team-usa-at-the-olympics-in-rio-054836091.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources say Indiana’s Paul George and Golden State’s Klay Thompson are also considered locks alongside Durant for the 12-man Olympic roster that will be revealed in the coming days, joining Sacramento’s b, whose inclusion was first reported by The Undefeated’s Marc J. Spears earlier this month.

USAB chairman Jerry Colangelo told ESPN in a recent interview that he and coach Mike Krzyzewski have been preparing one roster “with LeBron and one without LeBron.”
Colangelo also said that the final roster is on course to be made public no later than June 27.

* Draymond Green, Klay Thompson still on board for Rio

Quote:
Green and teammate Klay Thompson are finalists for the U.S. roster (so is restricted free agent-to-be Harrison Barnes). They’re also logical candidates to fill key roles on a team depleted by big-name NBA players seeking rest and recovery. Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, James Harden and LaMarcus Aldridge, like Curry, already have pulled out of consideration.

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Warriors-Draymond-Green-Klay-Thompson-still-on-8314458.php
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

Paul George Accepts Invitation to Play For Olympics

Quote:
Indiana Pacers guard/forward Paul George has accepted an invitation to play for USA Basketball's 2016 Rio Olympics team, a source told The Undefeated.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16440501/paul-george-accepts-invite-play-team-usa-rio-olympic-games
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

It'll be awesome for D'lo to get the invite if Lillard and Conley are questionable. Good experience playing wwith the best. Just no more inappropriate snapchat/instagrams, please...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Melo in, Lillard out!

Quote:
Bleacher Report ‏@BleacherReport 1h1 hour ago
Carmelo Anthony has reportedly committed to playing in Rio Olympics; Damian Lillard withdraws (via @TheVertical)
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

Melo, Lowry, Butler selected to play for Team USA in Rio Olympics

Melo will be going for his third gold medal, Kyle Lowry is the first point guard selected to Team USA and Jimmy Butler will be playing in his first Olympics

Quote:
joining Lowry in Rio will reportedly be Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and Bulls All-Star Jimmy Butler, per ESPN's Marc Stein.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/reports-melo-lowry-butler-selected-to-play-for-team-usa-in-rio-olympics/
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

They carry 12. From reports so far we have:

Lowry
Butler
Durant/George
Anthony/Green
Cousins/Jordan

Kawhi is out. Kyrie and Klay have standing invites
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

DeRozan and Thompson in, Hayward declines invitation

2 spots left
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

At the rate of these guys dropping out, they'll be holding tryouts for LG posters.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/06/23/lebron-james-to-skip-olympics.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
At the rate of these guys dropping out, they'll be holding tryouts for LG posters.

I'm out!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

USA ROSTER TAKING SHAPE

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/06/23/usa-roster-taking-shape/?ls=iref:nbahpts
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Who's in and who's out for Team USA Basketball's 2016 Olympics roster?
Stay Tuned!

Quote:
Once the 12-man team is selected, the squad will hold a training camp in mid-July before taking part in exhibitions across the United States. The Olympics are set to begin on Aug. 5.

FIBA recently announced the draw for the Olympics, and while Team USA will be favored no matter what thanks to their abundance of talent, they also got placed in the much easier group. Speaking of that talent, here's a look at the 31 finalists in the player pool, plus one other notable.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/29/11324816/team-usa-basketball-roster-updates-status
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

Hammett wrote:

I'm brazilian and live in a city near Rio de Janeiro (2 hour travel by car), although in another state.

Brazil is a huge, huge country, just like the USA. There's bad places and there's good places. Rio de Janeiro is one of the bad places, IMHO.

It's a chaotic city, with millions living there. Huge contrast between rich people (who lives in Copacabana, Leblon, etc.) and who lives in the favelas, extremely poor people with no health, security, education, etc.
Back in the day, this void created the opportunity for organized crime (mainly drug dealers) to estabilish itself in the favelas and control entire communities. There's a constant tension in the air, depending where you go.

Obviously there's safer places than others.

The athletes will be safe, no doubt about it. But tourists are completely different, specially when they're not used to living in there. You don't go to the beach with your cellphone, with your fancy digital camera. Just go there in your shorts and sandals, with a little money and that's it. The main problem is robbers and thieves and this kind of stuff.

The zika thing seems like a little bit more in control around the country, specially since it's winter here in Brazil and the mosquito prefers the warmer seasons. But Rio is a hot city the whole year, don't know how's the situation in there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

Pretty sad that the Olympics are being held in Brazil in their worst recession in ages. Add to the Zika scare and it looks like Brazil will lose billions over this event since there will won't be as many visitors because of the fear from disease in addition to violent crime.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Irving, Barnes round out Team USA

Quote:
The U.S. basketball team has its roster for Rio.
Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes accepted spots on the team to fill out the Americans' 12-player Olympic squad, a person with knowledge of the details said Saturday.
The decisions come two days before the Americans plan to announce the team in New York. They were confirmed to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because roster details were to remain private

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/06/25/harrison-barnes-and-kyrie-irving-round-out-team-usa/index.html
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

there's no good floor general on that team to glue the talent together just a bunch a scorers.
I expect them to win gold but it will be interesting to see how Coach K works with what he has
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Team USA will be the favorites,but I think a team with better cohesiveness and team chemistry could give them a run for their money.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject:

Team USA roster, projected depth chart for men's basketball at Rio Olympics

Quote:
The reality is the Team USA roster that is headed to the Rio Olympics this summer will not be the star-overloaded version that many hoped for. LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and several other top-tier players pulled out. Even John Wall, Damian Lillard, Gordon Hayward and declined what might be their best chance to play for Team USA.

Whatever. This team is still stocked. Let's take a look at the roster — which will become official Monday — and then figure out the most likely starting lineup and depth chart that Mike Krzyzewski will go with when the Olympics start.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-roster-rio-olympics-depth-chart-kyrie-irving/1plle8vsqxr7r1pjwk2rqplfcx
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

2016 U.S. Olympic Men's Basketball Team Roster

http://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/roster.aspx

https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/747421960880021505

https://vine.co/v/5uTnP7OZmuF
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21
Jump to: