The Quote of the night on OJ made in America
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: The Quote of the night on OJ made in America

Author Walter Mosley, who wrote the novel that Denzel Washington's movie 'Devil In a Blue Dress' was based.. was being interviewed while clips of the 1965 Watts riots were playing in the background.....he said white people were asking him.."do all black people feel this way?"...he responded.. "99% of them do......and the other 1% are REALLY MAD!"..... LOL...THE QUOTE OF EPISODE ONE!!
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Ouote of the night epi #2
Police Commissioner Daryl Gate's response to 'why so many Black people were dying from the LAPD choke hold'...."they don't respond like NORMAL people do"......lol. ...Where does the bitterness come from??
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
Police Commissioner Daryl Gate's response to 'why so many Black people were dying from the LAPD choke hold'...."they don't respond like NORMAL people do"......lol. ...Where does the bitterness come from??

Some of the black community (and others I'm sure) went on to call cop cars "black and normal's".

ESPN is really blowing it out of the park with this one I think. I heard something about being able to view all the episodes before they air on an app or website??? Anyone do that?
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

Some of the black community (and others I'm sure) went on to call cop cars "black and normal's".

ESPN is really blowing it out of the park with this one I think. I heard something about being able to view all the episodes before they air on an app or website??? Anyone do that?

If you have the espn app or "watchespn" you can see all episodes now...

Last edited by Qsmiff on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quote of the night on OJ made in America

Qsmiff wrote:
Author Walter Mosley, who wrote the novel that Denzel Washington's movie 'Devil In a Blue Dress' was based.. was being interviewed while clips of the 1965 Watts riots were playing in the background.....he said white people were asking him.."do all black people feel this way?"...he responded.. "99% of them do......and the other 1% are REALLY MAD!"..... LOL...THE QUOTE OF EPISODE ONE!!

Great writer BTW. His books are fun reads.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quote of the night on OJ made in America

DaMuleRules wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

Great writer BTW. His books are fun reads.

He made me spit out beer!!...lol
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

That Korean store (bleep) needed to burn. Shooting a kid in the back like a coward. I don't care if that girl mouthed off or whatever, you do not shoot a kid in the back who is walking away.

This episode made me sick. Made me sick when I heard that Nicole said her family would side with OJ in a dispute. OJ would have had his legs broken in 4s if Nicole was my daughter. He would never even think of looking at her wrong. Just terrible.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
That Korean store (bleep) needed to burn. Shooting a kid in the back like a coward. I don't care if that girl mouthed off or whatever, you do not shoot a kid in the back who is walking away.

This episode made me sick. Made me sick when I heard that Nicole said her family would side with OJ in a dispute. OJ would have had his legs broken in 4s if Nicole was my daughter. He would never even think of looking at her wrong. Just terrible.

This one tugged at ya'....I lived at sixth and Kingsley at the time...the heart of Korea Town......amazing how the Latasha Harlan case has kinda disappeared from public consciousness.... embarrassingly ME TOO
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:

I wasn't sad when that mofo died.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quote of the night on OJ made in America

Qsmiff wrote:

I can't believe there will be a better quote in this series. It captured everything.

ESPN has set this up so well, juxtaposing the life OJ desired to live to that of the black community he distanced himself from.

I think this is going to turn out to be the definitive piece on the life of OJ.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely gripping...... its amazing to think its been almost 25 years

Quote of the night epi#3
Zoey(used to be Bob)Tur....the first helicopter pilot on the scene of the "slow speed chase".... in shock that Orange County cops nor LAPD ever tried to stop them...said

" If OJ would have been black....that never would have happened "
Lol...OJ hadn't been "Black" for years
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject:

The more I watch the series the more disgusted I am with people. Bunch of selfish idiots talking out of their ass saying OJ was innocent and not giving two (bleep) about two people who were butchered. All for what? So you can get back at the system? What did Nicole and Ron have to do with the system? What? Because they were white, they deserved it?

And of course, the moment a black man stands up for something that isn't all black, he is an Uncle Tom, right? So, how does Darden win? He tells the truth and of course, Uncle Tom hints and innuendos. All this brain pollution that has nothing to do with some a-hole who killed a mother and a daughter and a son and brother.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Finally got to watch the first episode.

Damn that was some brilliant documentary film making.

Starting with that parole board footage and bookending O.J.'s rise with how he met Nicole was really well done.

I remember watching that 2000 yard game as a kid and everything that came after it as a result - the Superstars appearances, the commercials, the commentating.

I remember going to see "Towering Inferno" in the theater with my friends as my birthday party and seeing OJ Simpson as a movie star!

Years later I remember seeing O.J and Nicole occasionally in various places around Santa Monica and the Westside.

I remember when I was in high school and I got a job on a Christmas Tree lot in Brentwood for a couple of weeks and I sold a tree to O.J. and Nicole and being so jazzed about it. I also I remember hearing from the guys who delivered the tree to their house that they had a huge fight over where the tree would go, so the guys just left the tree and got out of there because it was so awkward. And I remember being so stunned by that idea . . . who could get in a fight over a Christmas Tree?

So seeing all that early history recounted with the starting point of that really startling parole board hearing was really compelling.

I can't wait for the rest.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
The more I watch the series the more disgusted I am with people. Bunch of selfish idiots talking out of their ass saying OJ was innocent and not giving two (bleep) about two people who were butchered. All for what? So you can get back at the system? What did Nicole and Ron have to do with the system? What? Because they were white, they deserved it?

And of course, the moment a black man stands up for something that isn't all black, he is an Uncle Tom, right? So, how does Darden win? He tells the truth and of course, Uncle Tom hints and innuendos. All this brain pollution that has nothing to do with some a-hole who killed a mother and a daughter and a son and brother.

Wow. And I know what you REALLY want to say, too. I'll just leave it alone before I go off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject:

All 5 parts are available at watchespn.com or using the ESPN app.

I binge watched them all. I have 0 restraint.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject:

Marcia Clark still pointing fingers on why she lost and not looking in the mirror, and man OJ's comment on all the black people in Brentwood when he was arrested, I grew up in Buffalo and Juice was one of my first sports hero, but my dad didnt like him because he always made it known he never wanted to be in Buffalo. Also, knew some cops and they regularly had to make stops at OJ's house because he did to his 1st wife what he did to Nicole but in those days and autograph and a handshake from "The Juice" and have a nice hight is all that happened.

Moved to LA in 1999 watching what really led up to the 92 Riots I had to tell a friend man I didnt realize all that was going on out here wow just a great documentary overall
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:

can anyone refresh my memory why the Korean store owner was acquitted of murder charge?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

can anyone refresh my memory why the Korean store owner was acquitted of murder charge?

was convicted of manslaughter but the sentence was 5 years probation and 400 hours of community service because the judge says she wasnt a threat to commit another crime she was under extreme duress during this incident
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

was convicted of manslaughter but the sentence was 5 years probation and 400 hours of community service because the judge says she wasnt a threat to commit another crime she was under extreme duress during this incident

what da hell? i thought the sentencing is supposedly for what you've done wrong, not about whether you pose a risk to society in the future or not. this shows how far we've come, can you imaging the same verdict comes out today?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
pmacla wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

what da hell? i thought the sentencing is supposedly for what you've done wrong, not about whether you pose a risk to society in the future or not. this shows how far we've come, can you imaging the same verdict comes out today?

thats why people went crazy about it, the prosecuter even recomended the maximum sentence the judge decided on that bs
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Just rewatched epi #3.....I guess I didn't know how to handle this at first lol..as OJ is handcuffed, in the back of a police cruiser, for KILLING his wife,....seeing ALLof the people there .........to support HIM........says.."What's all these.N-words doing in Brentwood??"...wow oh wow!!!
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
Just rewatched epi #3.....I guess I didn't know how to handle this at first lol..as OJ is handcuffed, in the back of a police cruiser, for KILLING his wife,....seeing ALLof the people there .........to support HIM........says.."What's all these.N-words doing in Brentwood??"...wow oh wow!!!

was the birth of reality tv, first time we saw hero worship regardless of what the circumstances where
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Wow. And I know what you REALLY want to say, too. I'll just leave it alone before I go off.

Let me guess, I'm racist? I'm racist for calling a bunch of saps, idiots, for cheering on some murderer who just called them (bleep) while driving off to the police station? Real lack of reading comprehension in this country.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

People who think this was a simple murder case do not understand the undercurrent that was going on in LA during the 90's. It was basically a tinderbox of frustrations that could boil over at any minute and you could have full blown riots similar to 1992. I guess the modern day analogy would to be similar to Ferguson or Baltimore. You had numerous frustrations in the community dealing with race relations, unemployment, etc
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
People who think this was a simple murder case do not understand the undercurrent that was going on in LA during the 90's. It was basically a tinderbox of frustrations that could boil over at any minute and you could have full blown riots similar to 1992. I guess the modern day analogy would to be similar to Ferguson or Baltimore. You had numerous frustrations in the community dealing with race relations, unemployment, etc

Yep. I HATE when people look back at it with 2016 goggles on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: