The Quote of the night on OJ made in America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
I think OJ did it, but also think he deservedly based on the case was found Not Guilty, however he suffered the worst sentence he could have gotten, he lost his fame and lost his ability to be "The Juice" in his life.

He would not have wanted me on the jury....
but as I said earlier..... I understand their verdict
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:
Wow, people who are not used to being treated unfairly are STILL burning over the OJ verdict. Injustice sucks really, really badly doesn't it?

I don't think people (aka whites) are burning anymore. Honest take, bro. It's been long enough. If anything, I believe the chasm in opinions between the white and black community vis-a-vis this case has closed a great deal. Hence the subject of the thread. In the simplest terms, the black community is more apt to feel he was guilty at this point and I do honestly believe the white community is more apt now to admit to what the LAPD was all about. They're probably likelier to take into account the state of race relations as they were then, really for the first time. Whites by and large still thought everything was hunky dory in the 80s and 90s. They refused or were too biased to see what blacks were going thru to make them want to see OJ (as whitewashed as he was) go free. I don't think African-Americans gave 2 sh's about OJ other than the fact that he was black and that he was the RARE one who had the means to use the so-called justice system to his advantage. I also think that because of this case more than any other, that all of us as an entire community demand from law enforcement and forensics that evidence not be mucked with. No tainting, no cute stuff by police. Baden, the forensic pathologist for the D has said that. He himself took heat from cops back in NY because of his role.

Also, there have been numerous cases since then that have proved how someone who is guilty as a dog can go free. Most of them emanate from Florida. Casey Anthony, Zimmerman, etc. Cases like that make it possible for even the truly daft to understand how OJ could've been found NOT GUILTY (vs innocent).

I made a comment about her throat injury that was a little callous, but I truly feel for Nicole the most. She was the classic battered wife. I've seen that pic. No one deserves that kind of brutal murder, especially a decent human being. What's sad to me is that she more or less got lost in all the hoopla and side issues of this case and its relation to all the negative social conflagrations that came before it. Nicole took a lot of punishment in that relationship. Somewhere along the way, she became a punchline for comics. Truly a tragic tale that got twisted into a salacious media circus.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:
Wow, people who are not used to being treated unfairly are STILL burning over the OJ verdict. Injustice sucks really, really badly doesn't it?

I don't think people (aka whites) are burning anymore. Honest take, bro. It's been long enough. If anything, I believe the chasm in opinions between the white and black community vis-a-vis this case has closed a great deal. Hence the subject of the thread. In the simplest terms, the black community is more apt to feel he was guilty at this point and I do honestly believe the white community is more apt now to admit to what the LAPD was all about. They're probably likelier to take into account the state of race relations as they were then, really for the first time. Whites by and large still thought everything was hunky dory in the 80s and 90s. They refused or were too biased to see what blacks were going thru to make them want to see OJ (as whitewashed as he was) go free. I don't think African-Americans gave 2 sh's about OJ other than the fact that he was black and that he was the RARE one who had the means to use the so-called justice system to his advantage. I also think that because of this case more than any other, that all of us as an entire community demand from law enforcement and forensics that evidence not be mucked with. No tainting, no cute stuff by police. Baden, the forensic pathologist for the D has said that. He himself took heat from cops back in NY because of his role.

I made a comment about her throat injury that was a little callous, but I truly feel for Nicole the most. She was the classic battered wife. I've seen that pic. No one deserves that kind of brutal murder, especially a decent human being. What's sad to me is that she more or less got lost in all the hoopla and side issues of this case and its relation to all the negative social conflagrations that came before it. Nicole took a lot of punishment in that relationship. Somewhere along the way, she became a punchline for comics. Truly a tragic tale that got twisted into a salacious media circus.

Excellent post npz...the thing is
for folks that are being abused....you cant help.them until they are ready for help

Early in episode 3...during Nicole's memorial, Ron Shipp and AC made me cry.....because you could tell they LOVED Nicole....and they knew OJ did it......gut wrenching
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Also, there have been numerous cases since then that have proved how someone who is guilty as a dog can go free. Most of them emanate from Florida. Casey Anthony, Zimmerman, etc. Cases like that make it possible for even the truly daft to understand how OJ could've been found NOT GUILTY (vs innocent).

This series as opposed to the trial is less tainted more honest. IMO what's being presented has given the observer the opportunity to dissect, assimilate and draw conclusions void of interference from those who have chosen a side, have a horse in the race.

Some of those who are being honest with themselves unbiased by OJ being OJ may change their minds. Others may stand steadfast.

This is a very polarizing event. I vision a lot of John Kerry.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

This series as opposed to the trial is less tainted more honest. IMO what's being presented has given the observer the opportunity to dissect, assimilate and draw conclusions void of interference from those who have chosen a side, have a horse in the race.

Some of those who are being honest with themselves unbiased by OJ being OJ may change their minds. Others may stand stead fast.

What?!?!....John Kerry...the 2004 dem candidate.... please expound...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Some of those who are being honest with themselves unbiased by OJ being OJ may change their minds. Others may stand stead fast.

Flip Flop

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Flip Flop

Don't see how "I was for it ...before I was against it ". works here
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Flip Flop

What ever blows your skirt up.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:

Early in episode 3...during Nicole's memorial, Ron Shipp and AC made me cry.....because you could tell they LOVED Nicole....and they knew OJ did it......gut wrenching

I was pausing the screen when they showed highlighted lines of her writings. I read everything that was shown on screen. The most pitiful (meaning sorrowful) thing to me was a line she wrote about other men, naming Marcus Allen and 2 others, who made her feel "pretty, sexy, and smart". OJ ran her self-esteem down in the dirt, a beautiful woman like her believing she was basically nothing. That's another typical tenet of an abusive husband, even if only one who mentally abuses his wife. The abuser wants his wife or ex-wife to feel that leaving him is unthinkable, and if he does somehow get the courage to try, he wants her to think no other man would find her attractive, intelligent, interesting, etc. The looser his rein on her, the more physical he got. Typical a-hole of the "If I can't have her, no one will" mentality. He admitted as much to Shipp. Shipp said he told him he wouldn't take a polygraph because he had fantasized of killing her prior to her death. According to her journal, she wrote on 5/22/94 that they were officially split and she's dead 3 weeks later. Imo, when he felt the last of his control of her slip away, that's when he snapped. The combination of her dating men and coming up to the door with Goldman there was it. That last part is purely my opinion, but it seems to jibe with the severity of his treatment towards her as he she got progressively further from him (corroborated by her friend in the doc).
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

I was pausing the screen when they showed highlighted lines of her writings. I read everything that was shown on screen. The most pitiful (meaning sorrowful) thing to me was a line she wrote about other men, naming Marcus Allen and 2 others, who made her feel "pretty, sexy, and smart". OJ ran her self-esteem down in the dirt, a beautiful woman like her believing she was basically nothing. That's another typical tenet of an abusive husband, even if only one who mentally abuses his wife. The abuser wants his wife or ex-wife to feel that leaving him is unthinkable, and if he does somehow get the courage to try, he wants her to think no other man would find her attractive, intelligent, interesting, etc. The looser his rein on her, the more physical he got. Typical a-hole of the "If I can't have her, no one will" mentality. He admitted as much to Shipp. Shipp said he told him he wouldn't take a polygraph because he had fantasized of killing her prior to her death. According to her journal, she wrote on 5/22/94 that they were officially split and she's dead 3 weeks later. Imo, when he felt the last of his control of her slip away, that's when he snapped. The combination of her dating men and coming up to the door with Goldman there was it. That last part is purely my opinion, but it seems to jibe with the severity of his treatment towards her as he she got progressively further from him (corroborated by her friend in the doc).

To see her writings were totally horrific....but as I posted earlier.... its no way to help...until the person that needs the help is READY to be helped
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Some of those who are being honest with themselves unbiased by OJ being OJ may change their minds. Others may stand steadfast.

To tell you the truth, I was oversaturated by that trial as early as January of 95. I remember doing a community service requirement for uni at a United Way office and they had that stuff on TV all day for a month. I was asleep in my dorm room when the verdict was announced on 10/3/95. I've posted this before that I remember an African-American kid yelling down the hall waking me up and I knew instantly what it meant. I knew who the guy was by his voice, knew his roomate, also A-A, so I'm not sayin I assumed he was black just because he -sounded- that way. He lived directly on top of my room and was right across from me in a computer class as well. Anyway, my reaction was just to go, "Meh..." and rolled over and went back to sleep. I was a lot more blase about this event than most others of the Caucasian persuasion to begin with, so it's possible when I expound on this that it has a different meaning than a take from someone who was truly invested in the case. I'm easygoing.

It did bother me the difference between the reactions to the verdict among black and white audiences, though. Foreboding imagery, a visual example of the split in perceptions between people of the same community. It showed how fractured we still were as Americans. That's probably the one "uneasy for a whiteboy" feeling I had about the case, not the verdict itself. However, I was only 18 with all the naivete about life that goes along with that number. I was smart enough to know, however, that the verdict was leaning heavily towards the defense. The fact that whites were so shocked was, imo, much more surprising in its intensity than the jubilant reaction of black audiences. That was obviously more explicable by social factors, mistrust of establishment, etc.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Flip Flop

Apparently I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
cinimod wrote:

Flip Flop

Apparently I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make

The series may cause some to one day think OJ's guilty the next innocent.

Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote

I haven't seen anything to make me think OJ was innocent... lots and lots to make me think LAPD was dirty. Of course,.... just my opinion
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I
haven't seen anything to make me think OJ was innocent... lots and lots to make me think LAPD was dirty. Of course,.... just my opinion

You are going on your feelings. Again, what ever blows your skirt up.

Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I
haven't seen anything to make me think OJ was innocent... lots and lots to make me think LAPD was dirty. Of course,.... just my opinion

Lol...how dare I go on my feelings...what is it that you are going on exactly ?!?....just wondering???
Well, I guess I'll never wear this skirt again
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To tell you the truth, I was oversaturated by that trial as early as January of 95. I remember doing a community service requirement for uni at a United Way office and they had that stuff on TV all day for a month. I was asleep in my dorm room when the verdict was announced on 10/3/95. I've posted this before that I remember an African-American kid yelling down the hall waking me up and I knew instantly what it meant. I knew who the guy was by his voice, knew his roomate, also A-A, so I'm not sayin I assumed he was black just because he -sounded- that way. He lived directly on top of my room and was right across from me in a computer class as well. Anyway, my reaction was just to go, "Meh..." and rolled over and went back to sleep. I was a lot more blase about this event than most others of the Caucasian persuasion to begin with, so it's possible when I expound on this that it has a different meaning than a take from someone who was truly invested in the case. I'm easygoing.

It did bother me the difference between the reactions to the verdict among black and white audiences, though. Foreboding imagery, a visual example of the split in perceptions between people of the same community. It showed how fractured we still were as Americans. That's probably the one "uneasy for a whiteboy" feeling I had about the case, not the verdict itself. However, I was only 18 with all the naivete about life that goes along with that number. I was smart enough to know, however, that the verdict was leaning heavily towards the defense. The fact that whites were so shocked was, imo, much more surprising in its intensity than the jubilant reaction of black audiences. That was obviously more explicable by social factors, mistrust of establishment, etc.

I can remember the day of the verdict, they were showing clips of black folk celebrating. a reporter asked one black teenager "do two wrongs make a right?".... she responded...." No....but it makes us EVEN!!"....amazing quote for a teenager at that time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I

Lol...how dare I go on my feelings...what is it that you are going on exactly ?!?....just wondering???

Human nature.

Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I

Human nature.

So what is your view on this case ??? Grown folk can have differing opinions..
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

That was really weird, and OJ said that soon after the murders. Really shocking to me that a guy who knew he was a suspect would admit to fantasizing about killing her. It kind of sounds like a confession IMO.

I don't know how much OJ knew about polygraphs, but if I were asked about them, I would hesitate because I don't trust those polygraph tests.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:

Are they? OJ is in prison right now and when he was sentenced in Nevada, there was a lot less sympathy for him than there was in the mid-90's. There have also been a lot of things that happened to him that wouldn't have happened if he was convicted the first time. He searched for the real killer out on the golf course and made weird statements about it, he lost the civil trial, he wrote the book "If I Did It," and he committed more crimes in Nevada and was sentenced to prison.

But I really never felt as much hatred for Simpson as I felt sympathy for the murder victims and the people who knew them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I

Human nature.

I think the evidence was overwhelming on OJ being guilty. The prosecution did a poor job of proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Marsha Clark and Christopher Darden were grossly out lawyer-ed. Johnnie Cochran threw them completely off their game. Turned it from the OJ trial into the Mark Fuhrman trial.

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject:

That OJ rap video was hilarious you got JUICED lol lol
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
jodeke wrote

I

Human nature.

I think the evidence was overwhelming on OJ being guilty. The prosecution did a poor job of proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Marsha Clark and Christopher Darden were grossly out lawyer-ed. Johnnie Cochran threw them completely off their game. Turned it from the OJ trial into the Mark Fuhrman trial.

Right there you touch upon an extremely important misunderstanding that the average American had in regards to their justice system. The general public has been poorly educated to the difference between "Innocent" & "Not Guilty". They are entirely two different things in the eyes of the Criminal Justice System. In the United States, Innocence is the natural state of being for every American UNLESS their guilt can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. The onus is on the state to PROVE guilt. There is absolutely ZERO onus on an American to PROVE his innocence. And this is where far too many get into trouble, by not understanding the difference between the two. A "Not guilty" verdict simply means that the state was unable to meet the bar of PROVING guilt. The states failure to prove guilt is not what makes a defendant innocent. He's innocent by the simple virtue of being an American. Innocent is the natural constitutional state of every American who hasn't been proven as guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and is no reflection on whether or not someone committed a crime. The founding fathers were very careful in setting up the natural state of a citizen as presumed innocent and that's why a citizen isn't supposed to have to prove his innocent. This is why profiling is such a bane in this society. Profiling strips away at the natural state of every American, which is innocent. The moment an agent of the government engages in profiling, he's violated the basic right of the presumption of innocence which is at the very basis of being a free American. And when that agent acts upon that profiling, he's then violated the civil right of that American's natural presumption of innocence.

The misunderstanding between "Innocent" and "Not guilty" is at the basis of just about every single issue of abuse by agents of the government against American citizens. You can think an American is guilty, but you're not supposed to treat him as such until his guilt has been proven. Sadly, this is likely the single most abused right of Americans - their presumption of innocence. Everyday juries in pretty much every jurisdiction seem the think a American should be trying to prove his innocence. It's a staggering epidemic.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

One of the things about the OJ case was that people think that because the Dream Team was able to cast doubt on some of the evidence, then that means ALL of the evidence is in doubt, thus erroneously coming to the conclusion of "reasonable doubt".

While the OJ team managed to inject some doubt to certain pieces of evidence, much of their arguments against the evidence were smoke and mirrors - like the infamous glove. People bought into the whole "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit" mantra and think it applies across the board to all of the evidence presented by the prosecution. The reality, the glove was very much demonstrated to be Simpsons and that due to shrinkage over time it no longer would go on Simpson's hand (and thanks to swelling intentionally induced by the defense team). That's why that demonstration was a stupid move. People jumped to the conclusion that because it didn't fir in the courtroom, it couldn't possibly be his glove. They then extrapolated that to mean that the rest of the evidence was false.

But in reality, most of the evidence was NOT successfully refuted by the defense team. And there was tons of evidence that proved OJ was guilty. It's the job of the jury to look at the evidence in it's entirety and reach a verdict based of the total of it. What happened in OJ's case was that the jury said, "well this piece of evidence looks shady, and this piece of evidence doesn't add up so that means that all of the rest of the evidence must be suspect. That's not how yo are supposed to rule. Despite some real miscues by the prosecution and a well crafted defense, the case was proven beyond reasonable doubt. But because the jury chose to focus on a couple of areas of doubt and ignore the evidence that was compelling, they reached an erroneous decision of "Not Guilty".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: