Mychal Thompson: Lebron is soft and wouldn't survive the 80s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Back in my day, I use to eat bricks and walk on water to live and go to school.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:

Only, I don't like exaggerations. James is not Mike, and he doesn't like to take beatings every game. He prefers to stay on the perimeter a lot. That's why I'm sure he wouldn't have scored a lot down low vs the Bad Boys ( or the Parish-McHale Celtics). He sure had to wait for his Celtics to get old, in order to beat them...

What are you talking about? He took almost 46% of his shots this season within 0-3 feet of the basket. I get it that human perception is wrong much of the time, but we have actual data.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:
M. Thompson didn't have the skill to play in today's NBA, so I guess those 2 opinions cancel each other out

He blew more point blank layups than Odom, if you can believe that, and he was just as bad at the line in clutch situations. They just needed a body on McHale. That was Thompson's job.

I recall the seething frustration of watching him play for us in the late 1980s timeframe ... by that late point in his career, he always seemed to be operating under the 1960s dunk ban. The dude would seemingly never extend for the flush ... how many (bleep) three foot, point blank shots did I watch him attempt? No dunk, no backboard, no chance far too often. I don't know how many, but it was painful when championships were on the line ...

#gotcha

I'm sure you remember Chick saying all the time that Myc got hit on the head by too many coconuts in the Bahamas. He blew a lot of superb passes from Magic, I can vouch. I gotta lot of gms from that late 80s era. I'm thinking of one right now at Indiana in 90 where he blew an assist by boinking a wide open 2 handed dunk right under the rim and then he went like 9/9 after that including one of his weird shots that would seem to go in more than the EASY ones would. I'd definitely call him an odd offensive player, kinda like Terry Teagle or Jeff Malone. Guys for whom these hard ass shot attempts were their preferred method. They didn't have those broken, but effective forms/releases like Jamaal, Reggie, or Marion, but for example, Teagle preferred a defender on him for him to spin and fade on and Jeff Malone shot most of his shots off balance. He hit that buzzer beater with the Bullets against the Pistons where his feet were right in the corner of the floor and he was flying to his left out of bounds. He planted his feet on that spot like a football player in the end zone. He had amazing body control.

Here's one. Mychal at the buzzer at Milwaukee in 90. He did almost the same thing in our game their in 88, too. Not at the buzzer, but a missed 4-5 chippy on the baseline that was way off.

Go to 7:05. Look at that dazed look on Pat's face. He was about worn thin at that point. Present are 7 Laker coaches: Riley, Dunleavy, Pfund, Magic, Harris, Hamblen, and Scott (some better than others...)

We had a bad string at Milwaukee from 88 to 91. They did not wanna play in that cold ass town. 88 lost by 2 points, Myc misses tying shot. In 89, game was tied in final secs with a jumpball at the Bucks' end. They controlled the tap and Jay Humphries hit a corner shot at the buzzer with AC jumping in his face. In 90, the above happened (we came back from 24 for that to happen). In 91, MAGIC of all people, accidentally bounced the ball off his foot out of bounds during the final secs, costing a win.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
the association wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:
M. Thompson didn't have the skill to play in today's NBA, so I guess those 2 opinions cancel each other out

He blew more point blank layups than Odom, if you can believe that, and he was just as bad at the line in clutch situations. They just needed a body on McHale. That was Thompson's job.

I recall the seething frustration of watching him play for us in the late 1980s timeframe ... by that late point in his career, he always seemed to be operating under the 1960s dunk ban. The dude would seemingly never extend for the flush ... how many (bleep) three foot, point blank shots did I watch him attempt? No dunk, no backboard, no chance far too often. I don't know how many, but it was painful when championships were on the line ...

#gotcha

I'm sure you remember Chick saying all the time that Myc got hit on the head by too many coconuts in the Bahamas. He blew a lot of superb passes from Magic, I can vouch. I gotta lot of gms from that late 80s era. I'm thinking of one right now at Indiana in 90 where he blew an assist by boinking a wide open 2 handed dunk right under the rim and then he went like 9/9 after that including one of his weird shots that would seem to go in more than the EASY ones would. I'd definitely call him an odd offensive player, kinda like Terry Teagle or Jeff Malone. Guys for whom these hard ass shot attempts were their preferred method. They didn't have those broken, but effective forms/releases like Jamaal, Reggie, or Marion, but for example, Teagle preferred a defender on him for him to spin and fade on and Jeff Malone shot most of his shots off balance. He hit that buzzer beater with the Bullets against the Pistons where his feet were right in the corner of the floor and he was flying to his left out of bounds. He planted his feet on that spot like a football player in the end zone. He had amazing body control.

Here's one. Mychal at the buzzer at Milwaukee in 90. He did almost the same thing in our game their in 88, too. Not at the buzzer, but a missed 4-5 chippy on the baseline that was way off.

Go to 7:05. Look at that dazed look on Pat's face. He was about worn thin at that point. Present are 7 Laker coaches: Riley, Dunleavy, Pfund, Magic, Harris, Hamblen, and Scott (some better than others...)

We had a bad string at Milwaukee from 88 to 91. They did not wanna play in that cold ass town. 88 lost by 2 points, Myc misses tying shot. In 89, game was tied in final secs with a jumpball at the Bucks' end. They controlled the tap and Jay Humphries hit a corner shot at the buzzer with AC jumping in his face. In 90, the above happened (we came back from 24 for that to happen). In 91, MAGIC of all people, accidentally bounced the ball off his foot out of bounds during the final secs, costing a win.

As always, salute for providing a vivid walk down memory lane ... I always knew that Thompson's effortless massacre of bunnies was straight agony for others, too. Trust and believe, Darryl Dawkins weeped for Mychal Thompson and the pristine rim mounting bracket systems he left in his wake ...

As you know, one of my favorite non-Lakers around that time (Derrick Coleman) was more of a skywalker than MT, but there were times that he also had a little bit of that vexing at-or-below-the-rim curse on his game. Fortunately, Shaq and Shawn Kemp restored order ...
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

As always, salute for providing a vivid walk down memory lane ... I always knew that Thompson's effortless massacre of bunnies was straight agony for others, too. Trust and believe, Darryl Dawkins weeped for Mychal Thompson and the pristine rim mounting bracket systems he left in his wake ...

As you know, one of my favorite non-Lakers around that time (Derrick Coleman) was more of a skywalker than MT, but there were times that he also had a little bit of that vexing at-or-below-the-rim curse on his game. Fortunately, Shaq and Shawn Kemp restored order ...

Here's another Mychal rarity from the VOLT, I forgot about this one. That's gotta be the only video evidence of a FT that resulted in such a thing. That must've done 20 complete revolutions. We've all seen them bounce and stop on the heel, but that's not the same thing.

RE: soft bigman offense, we had Vlade was so finesse that Mychal T would get on him for his cute tendencies to lay point blank shots up. Vlade was the worst with that stuff. I don't know how people (usually non-LA fans) had the nerve to complain that all Shaq did was dumptruck people under the rim and dunk on their skull. The same people are the ones who also complain about bigmen who are allergic to dunking. Webber reminded me of DC. Very fluid for a 4. Liked to shoot from the perimeter a little too much considering the advantage he had down low. DC wasn't a whiner, so much as a sulky type.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
the association wrote:

Here's another Mychal rarity from the VOLT, I forgot about this one. That's gotta be the only video evidence of a FT that resulted in such a thing. That must've done 20 complete revolutions. We've all seen them bounce and stop on the heel, but that's not the same thing.

RE: soft bigman offense, we had Vlade was so finesse that Mychal T would get on him for his cute tendencies to lay point blank shots up. Vlade was the worst with that stuff. I don't know how people (usually non-LA fans) had the nerve to complain that all Shaq did was dumptruck people under the rim and dunk on their skull. The same people are the ones who also complain about bigmen who are allergic to dunking. Webber reminded me of DC. Very fluid for a 4. Liked to shoot from the perimeter a little too much considering the advantage he had down low. DC wasn't a whiner, so much as a sulky type.

OF COURSE that's something a basketball would do after leaving MT's hands. His delicate touch around the rim is just as disturbing as my "weeped" train wreck above. FFS, getting old is the worst ...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
the association wrote:

OF COURSE that's something a basketball would do after leaving MT's hands. His delicate touch around the rim is just as disturbing as my "weeped" train wreck above. FFS, getting old is the worst ...

I've never seen that ever, either. And yes, it makes complete sense that it's Thompson.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject:

Lebron would be a beast in any era. He's a Shaq level once in a generation athlete that handles the ball. The NBA has never had a guy like that, and likely never will.

One fantasy matchup we never got to see was Lebron in his prime 1 on 1 vs Michael Jordan. I'd take Lebron. I think he could guard MJ easier than the other way around.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
the association wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:

#gotcha

Chick was the best. He didn't hold back from dogging players when they screwed up. He really gave it to Thompson after that missed layup. You'd never hear a home team announcer talking like that nowadays.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

neither would Klay and Curry.

STFU Thompson.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

In fairness, a few years back Mychal was super critical and very hard on Klay on the radio after he was caught with weed while at Washington State.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: