Mychal Thompson: Lebron is soft and wouldn't survive the 80s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject:

This is stupid. Lebron would destroy everyone in the 80s. I'm pretty sure if he played around all those players, his "soft" mentality would change also. Imagine Lebron on the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys. It wouldn't even be fair.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
This is stupid. Lebron would destroy everyone in the 80s. I'm pretty sure if he played around all those players, his "soft" mentality would change also. Imagine Lebron on the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys. It wouldn't even be fair.

Why should we always see one angle? Imagine James playing against the Bad Boys . He would have to develop a Curry/ or Thompson-like shot, because he would play awaaaay from the rim...
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

Why should we always see one angle? Imagine James playing against the Bad Boys . He would have to develop a Curry/ or Thompson-like shot, because he would play awaaaay from the rim...

He did pretty well against the 2007 Pistons the same team that destroyed the Lakers in the NBA Finals, and that team was an all time defensive squad.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Back in the day basketball was about the team. Now, you have a bunch of prima donnas selling shoes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Back in the day basketball was about the team. Now, you have a bunch of prima donnas selling shoes.

That started with Jordan. The NBA decided they could boost ratings by featuring players instead of teams, as they had previously been doing.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

He did pretty well against the 2007 Pistons the same team that destroyed the Lakers in the NBA Finals, and that team was an all time defensive squad.

Three years later than they won vs the Lakers, they were not the same team, much less something even remotely resembling the Bad Boys, who would have never, ever, let him score 48 points in a pivotal game, layup after layup...
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hammett wrote:

That started with Jordan. The NBA decided they could boost ratings by featuring players instead of teams, as they had previously been doing.

And who can forget ....... these prima donnas

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

Mike had to get bigger and stronger to deal with the physicality of the Pistons. James is already 6'9" 250-60 ..... basically bigger than every member on the squad sans Buddah Edwards, and already more athletic. Orlando Woolridge was 6'9", 215-220 and had a great career in the 80s. Add another 30 lbs, more speed, more leaping ability and more strength ...... lol. James would do well in the 80's.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

Mike had to get bigger and stronger to deal with the physicality of the Pistons. James is already 6'9" 250-60 ..... basically bigger than every member on the squad sans Buddah Edwards, and already more athletic. Orlando Woolridge was 6'9", 215-220 and had a great career in the 80s. Add another 30 lbs, more speed, more leaping ability and more strength ...... lol. James would do well in the 80's.

I never said he wouldn't do well. James is a freak of nature and has worked a lot on his skills. He would have done well in every era, so I don't agree with M.T.

Only, I don't like exaggerations. James is not Mike, and he doesn't like to take beatings every game. He prefers to stay on the perimeter a lot. That's why I'm sure he wouldn't have scored a lot down low vs the Bad Boys ( or the Parish-McHale Celtics). He sure had to wait for his Celtics to get old, in order to beat them...
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

I never said he wouldn't do well. James is a freak of nature and has worked a lot on his skills. He would have done well in every era, so I don't agree with M.T.

Only, I don't like exaggerations. James is not Mike, and he doesn't like to take beatings every game. He prefers to stay on the perimeter a lot. That's why I'm sure he wouldn't have scored a lot down low vs the Bad Boys ( or the Parish-McHale Celtics). He sure had to wait for his Celtics to get old, in order to beat them...

i dont think most players didnt like taking beatings back then but you had to take them from time to time. Also meant you could dish it out and its clear the rules are different these days. The way he plays back then, he'd be at the line more than he is today.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

MT needs to stick to announcing
Sex Symbol
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Agree with Mychel, Lebronze is soft and prob wouldnt have survived his rookie season going against guys like mchale and laimbeer and rambis, at best he mightve been a role player like orlando woolrige
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Among others, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, Mychal Thompson and Ayesha Curry made fools of themselves with their words and deeds over the past few weeks. Truly asinine, embarrassing, hypocritical behavior across the board. The hubris, the narcissism was breathtaking, actually. And there are plenty of busters near and far who talked a big game and hastily counted their chickens re: LeBron and the Cavaliers, but many have now gone radio silent in the wake of their personal Father's Day massacre. I hope the Lakers never again see players, families of players, or fans resembling those clinging onto the circa 2014 Warriors bandwagon like so many cablecar jockeys. There's not much more to be said on this topic, frankly.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/06/17/video-ayesha-curry-and-sonya-curry-blew-kisses-to-booing-crowd-after-stephens-ejection/

But for the record, Klay came up this big ... again.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

That team didn't have Ben Wallace. They were a far cry from the 2004, 2005 iterations of the team.

Just fact checking. No judgment on the actual post subject.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

M. Thompson didn't have the skill to play in today's NBA, so I guess those 2 opinions cancel each other out
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:
M. Thompson didn't have the skill to play in today's NBA, so I guess those 2 opinions cancel each other out

He blew more point blank layups than Odom, if you can believe that, and he was just as bad at the line in clutch situations. They just needed a body on McHale. That was Thompson's job.

I recall the seething frustration of watching him play for us in the late 1980s timeframe ... by that late point in his career, he always seemed to be operating under the 1960s dunk ban. The dude would seemingly never extend for the flush ... how many (bleep) three foot, point blank shots did I watch him attempt? No dunk, no backboard, no chance far too often. I don't know how many, but it was painful when championships were on the line ...

#gotcha
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:

He blew more point blank layups than Odom, if you can believe that, and he was just as bad at the line in clutch situations. They just needed a body on McHale. That was Thompson's job.

I recall the seething frustration of watching him play for us in the late 1980s timeframe ... by that late point in his career, he always seemed to be operating under the 1960s dunk ban. The dude would seemingly never extend for the flush ... how many (bleep) three foot, point blank shots did I watch him attempt? No dunk, no backboard, no chance far too often. I don't know how many, but it was painful when championships were on the line ...

#gotcha

Mychal was always a dainty finesse player. He got some blocks because of athleticism, but he didn't like to mix it up in the key. He was a C/PF who played like a small forward who always worried that his shot was going to be stuffed. It's a shame -- if he had a tougher attitude, he could have been a really good player instead of merely a decent backup.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Sex Symbol wrote:
Agree with Mychel, Lebronze is soft and prob wouldnt have survived his rookie season going against guys like mchale and laimbeer and rambis, at best he mightve been a role player like orlando woolrige

No...just no
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Sex Symbol wrote:

INSANELY HILARIOUS ......
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
P.K. wrote:

#gotcha

Mychal was always a dainty finesse player. He got some blocks because of athleticism, but he didn't like to mix it up in the key. He was a C/PF who played like a small forward who always worried that his shot was going to be stuffed. It's a shame -- if he had a tougher attitude, he could have been a really good player instead of merely a decent backup.

Yeah, I vividly recall watching games with the family as a kid and the collective household yelling "dunk the ball!". Love Mychal but there's some serious delusion about how "tough" our front line was.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

I thought the original premise was that he would cry and complain, and NOT man up. He has always had the tools. I think everyone knows that he has a near perfect body for basketball. He is strong like Karl Malone and a much better ball handler, while being about the same level of scorer, with greater range to his arsenal. But he does complain and whine a lot when he gets fouled, and yet fouls others a lot himself.

I think he would be fine in the more physical eras, but he would have to make adjustments and just learn to man up. Of course, if those were the rules, I am sure he would. What else could he do?? Nothing. For anyone to think that he would actually suck in the 80's, they are just full of wishful thinking.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Funny comment to me.
Out of all the perimeter players in the finals, Lebron plays with the most physicality IMO.

Against who? The thugs of 2008 celtics? And 2010 celtics?
Oh wait. When the thugs were in, Lebron was out.

Last edited by moonriver24 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

I thought the original premise was that he would cry and complain, and NOT man up. He has always had the tools. I think everyone knows that he has a near perfect body for basketball. He is strong like Karl Malone and a much better ball handler, while being about the same level of scorer, with greater range to his arsenal. But he does complain and whine a lot when he gets fouled, and yet fouls others a lot himself.

I think he would be fine in the more physical eras, but he would have to make adjustments and just learn to man up. Of course, if those were the rules, I am sure he would. What else could he do?? Nothing. For anyone to think that he would actually suck in the 80's, they are just full of wishful thinking.

He'd probably whine. Magic whined. We all remember that face he usta make or running into the paint, screaming "oh" and ending up at the line. Can't make it seem like the players of the 80s didn't complain about fouls. They (bleep) with the best of them.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Wino wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Ted wrote:

He'd probably whine. Magic whined. We all remember that face he usta make or running into the paint, screaming "oh" and ending up at the line. Can't make it seem like the players of the 80s didn't complain about fouls. They (bleep) with the best of them.

the delusion of some fans is so high of the "previous era's".. players also complained all the time back then, they also did tons of stupid things off the court/field, drugs etc. the biggest difference is that we did not have the news sources or social media like we do today where hardly anything goes unnoticed. I mean we have people who literally find 2-3 second snippets in games where you can vaguely hear an athlete say something and then turn it into a loop and throw it on twitter to have millions watch it.

the players in all sports have def. got a bit softer for sure but that is not only there fault but the leagues for placing all these new rules and guidelines. one more example is a random nfl replay game I was watching where a team got a 40 yard first down pass on a 3rd and long when both of the receivers feet were out of bounds and the final score of the game was decided by I believe 2-3. we all love to pretend like everything was so much better in the "good old days" but every era had plenty of there own problems.

Back on track about this specific topic though, as much as I am not much of a fan of lebron he would absolutely be a top player in any and every era you place him in. He would obviously have a completely different mindset and expectation of how the game is played back in the 80's. Would he still complain? absolutely, just like all the other super stars did as well....
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

If Lebron had played in the 80s he would probably have 8 championships by now and be the undisputed GOAT. His legend would be GOD-LIKE Status, thought MJ was bad, Lebron's stats would have you gouging your eyes out.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: