2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

As if Orlando and Central Florida couldn't get any crazier, a 2 year old child at Disney's Grand Floridian and Springs hotel near Walt Disney World was dragged into the water by a gator, likely dead.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-toddler-dragged-into-water-by-gator-near-disneys-grand-floridian/343562764

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

rwongega wrote:
As if Orlando and Central Florida couldn't get any crazier, a 2 year old child at Disney's Grand Floridian and Springs hotel near Walt Disney World was dragged into the water by a gator, likely dead.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/deputies-toddler-dragged-into-water-by-gator-near-disneys-grand-floridian/343562764

I'm sure that one of our resident contrarians will come along to tell me how I'm wrong in asking this question, but how is a 2 years-old dragged to it's death by an alligator on a lagoon beach at 9:30 at night? WTF were the parents up to?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Abducted? I think the gator found dinner....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I'm sure that one of our resident contrarians will come along to tell me how I'm wrong in asking this question, but how is a 2 years-old dragged to it's death by an alligator on a lagoon beach at 9:30 at night? what the heck were the parents up to?

I can't remember where it was but I remember reading a story about some tourists swimming in a lake populated by gators and it ended up eating one of the tourists.....can't fix stupid.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject:

That is so messed up.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I'm sure that one of our resident contrarians will come along to tell me how I'm wrong in asking this question, but how is a 2 years-old dragged to it's death by an alligator on a lagoon beach at 9:30 at night? what the heck were the parents up to?

I can't remember where it was but I remember reading a story about some tourists swimming in a lake populated by gators and it ended up eating one of the tourists.....can't fix stupid.

Yeah, that was 6 months or so ago. Some drunk dude decided to jump into a pond that had a sign that said something to the effect of "no swimming with the gators. They'll eat you".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:

That's the first question I asked myself as well.
My kids are 8 and 11 and I still hold their hands even when walking through a shopping mall parking lot. Even if it was a play area of sorts, if it's near open water like that I'm not letting my kid free to roam. SMH
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Worst week in Orlando history?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Florida is a state I've been to but not one I'll likely visit again. Seems like every day something hits the news about Florida.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

PLATNUM wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:

That's the first question I asked myself as well.
My kids are 8 and 11 and I still hold their hands even when walking through a shopping mall parking lot. Even if it was a play area of sorts, if it's near open water like that I'm not letting my kid free to roam. SMH

Especially when there are wild animals that eat people nearby.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Year old at Walt Disney World abducted by Alligator

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:

This is stupid.

Florida man eaten by 11-foot alligator after jumping in pond to hide after suspected burglary

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

why would a Disney hotel or any family hotel have a freaking alligator lagoon on its property. Nobody thought of the possibility of alligators getting out the water and attacking guests?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
why would a Disney hotel or any family hotel have a freaking alligator lagoon on its property. Nobody thought of the possibility of alligators getting out the water and attacking guests?

Good question, and one that I do not have an answer.

I used to work for the Tragic Kingdom when I was younger, as one of those summer time jobs. Disney World is a supersized derivative of Disneyland, it initially copied even the most obscure attractions like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Tom Sawyer's Island was (from what I recall) a major event in the expansion of Disneyland, from it's simple 1950's amusement park core (now called Fantasy Land). From conjecture, Walt must have thought that a Mississippi-like waterway was an essential part of the Disney experience (I'm sure Walt fantasized being a part of the Mark Twain lore) and it commemorated a milestone in the history of Disneyland. Hence, you have part of Disney World surrounded by a huge waterway, complete with a paddle wheel steamer.

Old Walt probably never thought twice about the mobile alligator problem as it isn't a problem in Anaheim, and he wasn't raised in Florida. What surprises me is that whatever measures they took (if any) to prevent alligator infestation were defeated, as alligators do roam around much of Orlando, as the city is built in semi-drained wetlands. Supposedly the child was left unattended on a "movie night" which is some activity they hold on the man-made beaches at the resorts. If anything, that makes it even more indefensible for Disney.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Yeah. It isn't a zoo. Never been to Disney World, but, that seems an odd choice and one that offers little in the way of contributing to the Disney experience.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Yeah. It isn't a zoo. Never been to Disney World, but, that seems an odd choice and one that offers little in the way of contributing to the Disney experience.

I'm positive Disney didn't stock alligators, but then I'm curious as to what measures they took to control or eradicate the inevitable encroachment.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

I feel so bad for that family
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

They are native to Florida. Even if Disney didn't stock them, gators will find a body of water. Most of the state were wetlands before they were drained to build cities for humans. The native creatures never really left.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

They are native to Florida. Even if Disney didn't stock them, gators will find a body of water.

Yep. They've been finding their way into swimming pools and golf course water hazards since forever.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

Nature just being nature, dumb parenting you are visiting Florida and signs say no swimming for a reason, dont let your 2 year old wade in that water idiot

#AliigatorLivesMatter
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

I have a two year old. My son is bright but in no way shape or form
ready to be in deep water without him in a kid life preserver in a pool, let alone in a real body of water. I don't know what the unfortunate parents were thinking?

I am sure if they haven't already that they will make nets or gates or something like that that limits where you can be inside a Disneyworld open body of water.

Would remind me of some beaches I have visited that keep sharks and jellyfish away in Australia.

Bye.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

So since they're calling it an abduction, I imagine they're looking for the child, right? Does that mean they're going to look until they find some rather unpleasant remains of it (assuming they even can)?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Nature just being nature, dumb parenting you are visiting Florida and signs say no swimming for a reason, dont let your 2 year old wade in that water idiot

#AliigatorLivesMatter

Disney runs the resorts, and even built the beach. "No Swimming" does not mean "No Wading", as tourists from Nebraska wouldn't know that alligators could attack in very shallow water, or even out of the water. These are tourists, not wildlife experts. The expertise in running a safe resort rests with Disney, who were supposedly running a "movie night" from that beach when tragedy struck. Keeping the beach safe is a service component when you stay at a resort, it isn't a gratuitous service.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

They are native to Florida. Even if Disney didn't stock them, gators will find a body of water.

Yep. They've been finding their way into swimming pools and golf course water hazards since forever.

Quote:
“We’ve already taken four alligators and looked at four alligators and couldn’t find any evidence that they were involved,”

Quote:
The boy was partly in the water at the edge of the lagoon with his mother, father and 4-year-old sister when the alligator pulled him away, the sheriff said.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

Florida is pretty much the closest you can get to the full Australian experience. Burmese pythons, gators, and panthers all live within the state. Burmese pythons even though they aren't native have found the wetlands an ideal environment to multiply. Oh, and then theres the random sinkhole that swallows a human alive every now and then....
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

Surprised the outrage at the parents is not the same level at the gorilla incident. To me this is as close as equivalent when it comes to parenting lapse (horible ending for both)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: