Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:
Have we been told if the parents have a criminal history yet?

No, and we all know why.

Why?

Because it wouldn't be relevant. Law enforcement has already said that the parents were not being negligent. They were dutiful parents.

Wasn't relevant in the gorilla case either, but it happened.

I agree it wasn't relevant, but there were some pretty clear reasons it happened.

It happened because people kept blaming the mom for not watching her kid... which was true. And the uproar from that made people dig deeper because they wanted to justify the "bad mother" label they put on the lady that made a mistake. It was completely overblown because they valued the gorilla more than people.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
why would a Disney hotel or any family hotel have a freaking alligator lagoon on its property. Nobody thought of the possibility of alligators getting out the water and attacking guests?

They are native to Florida. Even if Disney didn't stock them, gators will find a body of water.

Yep. They've been finding their way into swimming pools and golf course water hazards since forever.

Also on the top of my car's trunk once. Disney's a highly regulated area but Gators can sneak in any time because of the vast spaces and the fact that baby gators will easily get through any kind of netting. That's Florida for you. One piece of advice that I got in my med student information packet even warned me to avoid being near bodies of water for fear of gators and snakes. To the uninformed out of state/country tourist, they probably don't get that advice.

Yeah and if by chance they live near the ocean or a large body of water they may have been used to walking near the water without thinking twice of a gator coming to get you. Sad and tragic, I can't begin to imagine.

Yes, in Louisiana you would see them just walking along the road. Imagine having a flat tire and having one sneak up on you.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:

No, and we all know why.

Why?

Because it wouldn't be relevant. Law enforcement has already said that the parents were not being negligent. They were dutiful parents.

I agree it wasn't relevant, but there were some pretty clear reasons it happened.

It happened because people kept blaming the mom for not watching her kid... which was true. And the uproar from that made people dig deeper because they wanted to justify the "bad mother" label they put on the lady that made a mistake. It was completely overblown because they valued the gorilla more than people.

I have seen no outcry, and certainly not nearly to the same degree, for the 5+ alligators euthanized during the search for the kid.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:

No, and we all know why.

Why?

I have seen no outcry, and certainly not nearly to the same degree, for the 5+ alligators euthanized during the search for the kid.

Gators aren't endangered compared to the Gorillas. Also them being cold blooded and not a mammal might change the perception.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

From the pics of the area and what I've read, they should sue Disney. Go nuclear
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:

No, and we all know why.

Why?

Good.

But maybe we'd see outcry if alligators were cute and furry.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:

No, and we all know why.

Why?

Good.

or maybe because gorillas can't be made into purses, belts, shoes and tasty nuggets.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cinimod wrote:

No, and we all know why.

Why?

Good.

Gator is a soulless reptile, gorilla is our genetic kin and a mammal. Also the gorilla was our captive. Also, the main villain in Donkey Kong Country? Yup, this scumbag right here: http://smashifiedart.com/content/2-characters/13-king-k-rool/character-portrait.png
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

We're now getting reports that Disney employees warned management that guests were feeding alligators and that Disney should think about putting up a fence. If true, it's going to get uglier.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
From the pics of the area and what I've read, they should sue Disney. Go nuclear

yeah given that this is Florida how can anyone with a clue look at that lake and rule out the possibility of alligators lurking in it. Also google maps shows water ways that connect that lake to other bodies of water.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

or maybe because gorillas can't be made into purses, belts, shoes and tasty nuggets.

In Africa, they are. There's a negative term for gorilla meat, "bushmeat". Sounds very unpalatable by that name, but I hear it's all the rave in the Ivory Coast. Unfortunately, they're one of many animals that people assume have magic powers to give men erections. That's what most animal trade results in, honestly. BS about increasing male potency. Happens in Asia, too. Countless animals harvested to the point of extirpation, especially smaller critters like seahorses that slip under the radar of the West's concern. In India, snakes and things. Africa is the worst culprit because it practically all big game like gorillas, elephants, lions. I remember a show related to US Customs where they uncovered a staggering amount of elephant tusks, probably hundreds of elephants, in just one large bust.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Gator is a soulless reptile, gorilla is our genetic kin and a mammal. Also the gorilla was our captive. Also, the main villain in Donkey Kong Country? Yup, this scumbag right here: http://smashifiedart.com/content/2-characters/13-king-k-rool/character-portrait.png

Gorillas can contract AIDS and Ebola, just like us.

I love crocs and gators, but at least gator populations have been allowed by conservation laws to rebound. They, too, were being slaughtered wholesale. I know they're a lot more primordial than gorillas and even Celtic fans, but human gluttony disgusts me even when I see sh like rattlesnake roundups. They yank em out of their dens in the middle of the desert, pump gasoline into them in many cases. Then they take them to be dumped into a bin for the amusement of Texans such as Dreamshake and hack em up to make the boots he wears while posting at LG. That's a public display of animal torture that is accepted because it's a species with few fans. I guess Uncle Steve-O has rubbed off on me, Huey. I miss that man.

PS, homes: The original title of Donkey Kong was Monkey Kong. A Japanese friend across the ocean made the fateful typo on some document to the American company that was to distribute or some sh and it instantly stuck.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

In Africa, they are. There's a negative term for gorilla meat, "bushmeat". Sounds very unpalatable by that name, but I hear it's all the rave in the Ivory Coast. Unfortunately, they're one of many animals that people assume have magic powers to give men erections. That's what most animal trade results in, honestly. BS about increasing male potency. Happens in Asia, too. Countless animals harvested to the point of extirpation, especially smaller critters like seahorses that slip under the radar of the West's concern. In India, snakes and things. Africa is the worst culprit because it practically all big game like gorillas, elephants, lions. I remember a show related to US Customs where they uncovered a staggering amount of elephant tusks, probably hundreds of elephants, in just one large bust.

Thats because Africa is pretty much the wild west as far as animal trade goes. You have rich people from the west that go on safari to hunt rare big game, while countries in Asia send over poachers to kill elephants, rhinos, tigers, lions to use for "medicine" and ivory.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

There are videos surfacing of alligators at the Disney World theme park in the past.

This one, actually shows an employee pushing an alligator away with a stick. This is just FEET from the ride and in the video you can actually see kids strolling on by on the ride just behind the guy hitting the alligator away. Now granted, it was a small alligator, but still. It's starting to look like this wasn't some isolated incident at all.

Crazy. Disney needs to better gator proof their park.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
There are videos surfacing of alligators at the Disney World theme park in the past.

This one, actually shows an employee pushing an alligator away with a stick. This is just FEET from the ride and in the video you can actually see kids strolling on by on the ride just behind the guy hitting the alligator away. Now granted, it was a small alligator, but still. It's starting to look like this wasn't some isolated incident at all.

Crazy. Disney needs to better gator proof their park.

They should but easier said than done. Even luxury gated apartments have difficulties with gators.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: