I think Lakers need to do anything in their power to get Redick in this years draft.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: I think Lakers need to do anything in their power to get Redick in this years draft.

Draft him or if not possible, trade for him.

I can't possibly think of a better fit to Kobe and Lamar. I can't.

Redick is improving his handle, he can now create his own shot and he can just flat out score.
I see him as a great fit to Kobe and Lamar.
He doesn't demand the ball in his hands, you can't leave him open, he's smart and with Kobe on his team, Redick would get all the open looks he needs.

Lakers need to get that cat. Spare me "he's unathletic and overrated" BS because it isn't true.

He needs to be a Laker.
The greatest fit ever to Kobe and Odom.
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

agreed. He would be a great fit BUT his defense WILL be a concern.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

yeah...let's tank the season?? coz no way we're getting him without tanking.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

And not one mention of his defense.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:

He will have difficulty getting his shot in the NBA. He's still worthy of a top 5 pick. Morrison is better though.
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

STAY AWAY FROM DUKE!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

qreus-76 wrote:

Kobe was signed to play at Duke.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
He will have difficulty getting his shot in the NBA. He's still worthy of a top 5 pick. Morrison is better though.

Only because he's bigger.

JJ has worked on his game so much since his freshmen year,.. he now can take people off the dribble and I don't need to talk his shooting or shooting range. Plus the kid has ice water for blood. His defense is suspect just because the college game is so much slower than the pro game. I don't see how the Lakers will get him (college player of the year, IMO), especially when the boys are not going to be in the lottery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ndn Guy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

well, i think he will be a top 5 draft pick, so unless we tank which were doing a great job of doing right now is the only way we will get him. I don't think any team would want anything from unless expect for our untouchables for a top 5 pick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
yeah...let's tank the season?? coz no way we're getting him without tanking.

It's nice to see that Kwame, Luke, and Sasha are doing everything they can to ensure we get into good draft position.
LakeNiteShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

I agree 100%, I think JJ is ideal for the lakers, but as others have mentioned we have no shot at getting him.

Which brings up a question about the Lakers draft...if we miss out on the playoffs, do we have a lottery pick? Or did we trade it away? Is the Miami 06 pick the only 1st round pick we have?

Because if we did miss playoffs (which is where we're heading right now) at least we would have 2 first round picks and we could package those to move up for someone like JJ.
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:

But he didn't. Thank God!!

In my opinion. Nothing good comes out of Duke. I don't know why, it just is.
SCAR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

He can't stop the ball in the pros. Pass!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

LakeNiteShow wrote:
I agree 100%, I think JJ is ideal for the lakers, but as others have mentioned we have no shot at getting him.

Which brings up a question about the Lakers draft...if we miss out on the playoffs, do we have a lottery pick? Or did we trade it away? Is the Miami 06 pick the only 1st round pick we have?

Because if we did miss playoffs (which is where we're heading right now) at least we would have 2 first round picks and we could package those to move up for someone like JJ.

Our pick is top 10 protected I believe. If we finish just outside of the playoffs, 14-11th worst, then the pick is gone. They have to seriously tank to get the pick...this .500 ball means they could miss the playoffs and the pick. Another genius move by Mitch.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

Five losses in a row - we're on our way!
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

SCAR wrote:
He can't stop the ball in the pros. Pass!

One thing that I like about Reddick... he seems seriously committed to improving his game. A la Kobe.

How many people enter NCAA or the pros, and their skill set remains the same?

Case in point... Jason Kapono. In the NBA, but seriously... his talent level is the SAME now, after four years of UCLA and a few years in the pros, that it was at Artesia high school when I played against him in 1996.

A special few, a la Reddick, work constantly, and improve constantly. Their are physical and athletic limitations, but I have so much respect for players who realize that they control their destiny, their improvement, via hard work and dedication - exactly what Turiaf brings. That is missing too much in the NBA.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

qreus-76 wrote:
TG711 wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:

I'd agree with you, but then Elton Brand came along...
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:
TG711 wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:

Word. If only Grant Hill stayed healthy... Duke lineup of:

Reddick
Hill
Battier
Brand
Any Jabroni at Center Throw Shavlick Randolph out there

...Would be a legit NBA starting five. It's not UNC caliber, but pretty darn good.

Shoot, put Kobe on that team and they win the NBA title (maybe).
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

Reddick is being WAY overrated.

6'4" slow, unathletic, plays in a GREAT system that hides ALL of his deficiencies on D and MOST of them on O as well. Can't create a shot for himself at the NBA level. Can't D up at the man level cause he's FAR too slow to guard the 1 and not strong enough or fast enough to guard the 2s.

Great collegiate player. Will be nothing more than a catch and shoot player at the next level.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

6'4" slow, unathletic, plays in a GREAT system that hides ALL of his deficiencies on D and MOST of them on O as well. Can't create a shot for himself at the NBA level. Can't D up at the man level cause he's FAR too slow to guard the 1 and not strong enough or fast enough to guard the 2s.

Great collegiate player. Will be nothing more than a catch and shoot player at the next level.

Point being though, he DOES play in a system. He gets points in an offensive system, which makes him attractive to Laker fans, who are sick of seeing NBDL talent fail in a fairly structured offensive system. The weakness of him not creating his own shot would surely also be hidden playing next to Kobe. How many times have the Lakers lost games this year because players have failed to simply hit a wide-open jumper?

That being said, I completely agree with you on Reddick's athleticism. Would be a NIGHTMARE on D in the NBA.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Reddick is good, but the Duke system helps him out tremedously. I'd trade for Kapono for less than it would take to trade up to get Reddick and get basically the same player. Now Adam Morrison, that's an entirely different story. I can't think of a better player coming out of school who'd be a better fit, but the news seems to be that he's about 95% to pull a Leinart and stick around for his senior season at Gonzaga. Morrison is the complete ackage and he's got a mirror image of Larry Birds tenacity, something Reddick lacks. If he were cheap, then I'd take Reddick, but he won't be. I'd like to see the Lakers pull a San Antonio and select the rights to Morrison with one of their second rounders even though he's not coming out. This years draft is a weak one, so it's not like they'll expect to get a draft a player who'll make the roster anyway and it would be the steal of a lifetime to see Morrison in PnG...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Reddick is good, but the Duke system helps him out tremedously. I'd trade for Kapono for less than it would take to trade up to get Reddick and get basically the same player. Now Adam Morrison, that's an entirely different story. I can't think of a better player coming out of school who'd be a better fit, but the news seems to be that he's about 95% to pull a Leinart and stick around for his senior season at Gonzaga. Morrison is the complete ackage and he's got a mirror image of Larry Birds tenacity, something Reddick lacks. If he were cheap, then I'd take Reddick, but he won't be. I'd like to see the Lakers pull a San Antonio and select the rights to Morrison with one of their second rounders even though he's not coming out. This years draft is a weak one, so it's not like they'll expect to get a draft a player who'll make the roster anyway and it would be the steal of a lifetime to see Morrison in PnG...

Morrisson needs a lot of shots though, and the ball in his hands. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him, but he isn't the prototypical catch and shoot guy the Lakers might need.
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:
TG711 wrote:
qreus-76 wrote:

Word. If only Grant Hill stayed healthy... Duke lineup of:

Reddick
Hill
Battier
Brand
Any Jabroni at Center Throw Shavlick Randolph out there

...Would be a legit NBA starting five. It's not UNC caliber, but pretty darn good.

Shoot, put Kobe on that team and they win the NBA title (maybe).

That's just it. Most of the players that come out of Duke have bad luck. If it's not a traffic accident it's career ending injuries. If they manage to make it without any of those insidents happening to them, they may turn out to be average at best. Brand is doing very well right now but the ratio so far don't favor anyone comming into the NBA from Duke.

I wouldn't be surprise if Boozer gets another season ending injury real soon.

I don't know what it is. Is it the food they're feeding them. Is it the conditioning. It just baffles me when you look at every player that came from Duke.

Duke = major injuries, major accidents, or major mediocrity

Stay away. You've been warned

I'm so glad Kobe didn't go to Duke.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Point being though, he DOES play in a system. He gets points in an offensive system, which makes him attractive to Laker fans, who are sick of seeing NBDL talent fail in a fairly structured offensive system. The weakness of him not creating his own shot would surely also be hidden playing next to Kobe. How many times have the Lakers lost games this year because players have failed to simply hit a wide-open jumper?

That being said, I completely agree with you on Reddick's athleticism. Would be a NIGHTMARE on D in the NBA.

Well, I was just saying people are overrating him, acting like we should do WHATEVER it takes to trade up to get him. He'll likely be no more than an 8th and 9th man throughout his career. You don't trade valuable pieces for an 8th/9th man type.

If he could play the 1, just a bit more, he'd be perfect, as it would allow Kobe to post up on the weakside of the triangle and Lamar on the strong.

But after watching last night's Duke/UNC game, no way can he handle the 1 at the NBA level, even in the triangle. Look at how in the waning seconds, UNC - making a comeback - simply pressured Reddick in the backcourt and he threw the ball to Chris Paulus (REALLY like his game). Only problem? It was about 15 ft too high.

Reddick has absolutely ZERO PG skills.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Morrisson needs a lot of shots though, and the ball in his hands. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him, but he isn't the prototypical catch and shoot guy the Lakers might need.

You are definitely correct that Morrison isn't a prototypical catch and shoot guy, but rather a guy who is excellent at creating his own shot. Sharing the ball with another player who needs it in his hands isn't as bad of a thing as many might imagine with Kobe. If another player can create his on shot and punish teams for the extended doubles and triples on Kobe, I know Kobe would welcome it with open arms. Kobe can get his shots, even against triple teams - but if he can drive and dish to an open Morrison, who can also option to drive, dish or shoot, then life becomes infinitely easier for Kobe and he can better impose his will upon the game. Cook, and Smush/Sasha to a degree should be ok as spot up shooters next season, with a comfort zone having been developed. I'd prefer to have the additional playmaker, more than a catch and shoot guy. Tha catch and shoot guys are fairly easy to find (at least easier than playmakers).
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: