Kyrie Irving - How Will He Be Remembered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Here's Rich Eisen keeping it 100 for one of the poor souls who just couldn't get onboard the freight train that's been mercilessly rolling over his carcass for the past 13 years ...

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/744722768558587904

Meanwhile, here are three of the THOUSANDS of online articles re: "The Block", each written by a journalist whose career involves expertise in covering the NBA ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-finals-every-thrilling-second-of-lebron-james-iconic-game-7-block/

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/20/nba-finals-game-7-lebron-james-block-andre-iguodala-highlights-video

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2016/story/_/id/16544563/nba-finals-2016-oral-history-lebron-chasedown-block

Consensus: The Block is the most iconic NBA play since Jordan's shot over Russell, and likely the signature NBA Finals moment ever. Kyrie's shot was great, too.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Here's Rich Eisen keeping it 100 for one of the poor souls who just couldn't get onboard the freight train that's been mercilessly rolling over his carcass for the past 13 years ...

Meanwhile, here are three of the THOUSANDS of online articles re: "The Block", each written by a journalist whose career involves expertise in covering the NBA ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-finals-every-thrilling-second-of-lebron-james-iconic-game-7-block/

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/20/nba-finals-game-7-lebron-james-block-andre-iguodala-highlights-video

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2016/story/_/id/16544563/nba-finals-2016-oral-history-lebron-chasedown-block

Consensus: The Block is the most iconic NBA play since Jordan's shot over Russell, and likely the signature NBA Finals moment ever. Kyrie's shot was great, too.

Are you arguing that it's popular? I am not disputing the play's populairty. Of course it's iconic! (I don't about the MOST iconic, but I don't care either).

Lebron is hugely popular. THat's why this play overshadows irving's shot. BUt that's really the only reason. If it were tristan thompson making that block it's not the same. And also, if it were reversed and Irving made that block while lebron hit the three, then the SHOT would be the thing everyone is talking about. It's all about his popularity.

but all things being equal, a block is rather insignificant in playoff shots. I can see it competing for maybe the most iconic FINALS only play...but not entirely, all playoffs. lol. gof damn lebron's stans are so eager to declare the greatest for any category they can get a whiff of.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:

Are you arguing that it's popular? I am not disputing the play's populairty. Of course it's iconic! (I don't about the MOST iconic, but I don't care either).

Lebron is hugely popular. THat's why this play overshadows irving's shot. BUt that's really the only reason. If it were tristan thompson making that block it's not the same. And also, if it were reversed and Irving made that block while lebron hit the three, then the SHOT would be the thing everyone is talking about. It's all about his popularity.

but all things being equal, a block is rather insignificant in playoff shots. I can see it competing for maybe the most iconic FINALS only play...but not entirely, all playoffs. lol. gof damn lebron's stans are so eager to declare the greatest for any category they can get a whiff of.

I'm arguing that it's a moment that's more captivating, iconic, impactful and IMPORTANT than any other moment in NBA Finals history ... since Magic jumping center in the 1980 NBA Finals, anyway. But ease up on the "stans" talk ... I'm sure others could label you one of the worst Kobe "stans", but you don't get that from me, so give it a rest already.

The guy is considered Top 5 already. You don't want to accept it, but he's on his way to Top 3 in the view of most reasonable observers. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you that will make you feel better. You're on the wrong side of history. I'm sure it sucks. But it's your choice to continue ranting and raving about how he's not as great as everyone else thinks he is ...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
If it were tristan thompson making that block it's not the same. And also, if it were reversed and Irving made that block while lebron hit the three, then the SHOT would be the thing everyone is talking about. It's all about his popularity.

Nah, dude. Just the opposite. If Thompson or Irving had made the block, you'd be able to acknowledge it's a great play But because Lebron made the play, you can't. It's cool. You are what you are.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Like Jamaal Wilkes in the Lakers 76ers series.

Barest of similarity to Wilkes overall or in that series. Jamaal was already far more accomplished as a two-way player than Kyrie is today, comparatively. But Kyrie does seem to be on his way to becoming a similar type of scoring partner for LeBron as Jamaal was for Bill Walton, Magic and Rick Barry.

Wilkes was a proven winner and all-around player already, which distinguished him from most guys . At UCLA he was recognized for two NCs and twice All America. He won the NBA RoY award like Kyrie, but also an NBA champion with the Warriors in '77, in a very key role (power forward.) He was an NBA champ with the Lakers in '80. Wilkes was also a better two-way player than Kyrie has become at this point; Silk was twice an NBA All Defensive team member before 1980.

Kyrie has a way to go before his work resembles what Jamaal Wilkes did.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Barest of similarity to Wilkes overall or in that series. Jamaal was already far more accomplished as a two-way player than Kyrie is today, comparatively.

I think it's a good comparison. Wilkes had been in the league six years, won 2 rings, been an all-star once, made a couple of 2nd all-d teams, and been a 20 ppg. scorer once (about 17 ppg for his career). Very solid player, but not quite a star.

Irving has been in the league 5 years, made 3 all-star teams, a third-team all NBA, won a ring and has a career 20 ppg.

Sure, Wilkes was a better defensive player, but his career NBA accomplishments overall were pretty similar to Irvings at this point. If uou want to include college, that tips it to Jamaal, though. In fact, I think without his college experience Jamaal doesn't make the Hall of Fame.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Barest of similarity to Wilkes overall or in that series. Jamaal was already far more accomplished as a two-way player than Kyrie is today, comparatively.

I think it's a good comparison. Wilkes had been in the league six years, won 2 rings, been an all-star once, made a couple of 2nd all-d teams, and been a 20 ppg. scorer once (about 17 ppg for his career). Very solid player, but not quite a star.

Irving has been in the league 5 years, made 3 all-star teams, a third-team all NBA, won a ring and has a career 20 ppg.

Sure, Wilkes was a better defensive player, but his career NBA accomplishments overall were pretty similar to Irvings at this point. If uou want to include college, that tips it to Jamaal, though. In fact, I think without his college experience Jamaal doesn't make the Hall of Fame.

Well, I think it's easy discounting much of what made Wilkes special. He was unusually well-rounded: an unusual ability to do everything (rebound, shoot inside and outside, pass, defend inside and outside, block out, set picks.) His career was laden with roles wherein he adapted instantly to whatever he's asked to do at a high level. Everywhere he played - until reduced with the Clippers by injury - he played stunningly, immediately. No weaknesses to his game at all.

Kyrie, well - not so much. He's morphed now from drive only guy and he shows hints to a three point shot now. He needs to play with the ball to be effective. That's not a well-rounded player. He defends at an average level for NBA guards. He's valued for being exceptionally strong and fast with the ball; that's what's carried him so far to-date. It's great stuff, but but he's got a lot to learn about impacting the W-L column.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Well, I think it's easy discounting much of what made Wilkes special. He was unusually well-rounded: an unusual ability to do everything (rebound, shoot inside and outside, pass, defend inside and outside, block out, set picks.) His career was laden with roles wherein he adapted instantly to whatever he's asked to do at a high level. Everywhere he played - until reduced with the Clippers by injury - he played stunningly, immediately. No weaknesses to his game at all.

Kyrie, well - not so much. He's morphed now from drive only guy and he shows hints to a three point shot now. He needs to play with the ball to be effective. That's not a well-rounded player. He defends at an average level for NBA guards. He's valued for being exceptionally strong and fast with the ball; that's what's carried him so far to-date. It's great stuff, but but he's got a lot to learn about impacting the W-L column.

Kyrie's always had a 3 point ball. He shot 39.9% from there in his first year. In fact, this is his worse year from 3 by far.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I'd agree Wilkes was a better all-around guy -- a can-do-it-all SF who was able to submerge his ego for the good of the team.

But I was focusing on what they had accomplished up to that point. (And that point is not exactly apples to apples, since Wilkes went to college for 4 years and Irving joined the NBA at age 19).

From that standpoint,I still think it's a good comparison. They each had huge moments in a big finals game that was dominated by a teammate who was a bigger star and overshadowed them, and I'd also say Wilkes and Irving's general reputation was probably similar, though they have very different strengths and weaknesses.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Who's better: Lilliard or Kyrie?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Kyrie is better offensively by a smudge. I like Lillard's overall game better.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:

I'm arguing that it's a moment that's more captivating, iconic, impactful and IMPORTANT than any other moment in NBA Finals history ... since Magic jumping center in the 1980 NBA Finals, anyway. But ease up on the "stans" talk ... I'm sure others could label you one of the worst Kobe "stans", but you don't get that from me, so give it a rest already.

The guy is considered Top 5 already. You don't want to accept it, but he's on his way to Top 3 in the view of most reasonable observers. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you that will make you feel better. You're on the wrong side of history. I'm sure it sucks. But it's your choice to continue ranting and raving about how he's not as great as everyone else thinks he is ...

man you guys like to get personal real quick.
there's no way that block was more important than kyries 3. because lebron was for sure not even going to take a three like that let alone make it. the block is not as important because it's a block and kyries was a gut busting three. and furthermore, kyrie blocked curry for an easy layup right before.

greatest play since magic in '80...good lord. which, as you say, is the majority opinion of "reasonable observers". yea...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Kyrie is better offensively by a smudge. I like Lillard's overall game better.

Full disclosure: I just realized that I asked this question twice.

Lilliard also seems less injury prone and he's a better shooter and defender. I think I prefer him. Killer instinct is probably a wash though I would have favored Lilliard before the finals.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
furthermore, kyrie blocked curry for an easy layup right before. ..

You are remembering wrong.

James blocked a Curry shot in the second quarter.

Irving had one block in the game, on Varejao, in the third quarter with about 19 minutes of game time remaining.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lilliard also seems less injury prone and he's a better shooter and defender.

Saying that Lillard is a better defender than Irving is like saying that a sieve is better than a screen door.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Irving had one block in the game, on Varejao, in the third quarter with about 19 minutes of game time remaining.

you are right...i don't know which block i am thinking of, might be in game 6. i also forgot how early lebron's block was. i thought irving blocked curry in one of these games late, and it was tied or close.

btw, i've been harping about this a lot lately, i was wrong.

the point, however, is still there for me. irving's shot was really the important play, not the block. however, the block is the icon. my big overall complaint is though how lebron just sucks up the accomplishments of those around him.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:

there's no way that block was more important than kyries 3. because lebron was for sure not even going to take a three like that let alone make it. the block is not as important because it's a block and kyries was a gut busting three. and furthermore, kyrie blocked curry for an easy layup right before.

greatest play since magic in '80...good lord. which, as you say, is the majority opinion of "reasonable observers". yea...

You replied directly to my post with your typical logic, suggesting that I'm a "stan" in the process. I called (bleep), highlighted the fact that I haven't labelled you anything in the past (including a "stan"), and suggested that you simmer down. And now you play the victim card claiming that I got "personal real quick". Is that the measure of it?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

you are right...i don't know which block i am thinking of, might be in game 6. i also forgot how early lebron's block was. i thought irving blocked curry in one of these games late, and it was tied or close.

btw, i've been harping about this a lot lately, i was wrong.

the point, however, is still there for me. irving's shot was really the important play, not the block. however, the block is the icon. my big overall complaint is though how lebron just sucks up the accomplishments of those around him.

No worries. The Curry block was a good play, so it is not surprising you thought someone other than Lebron did it. And now that you know Lebron blocked the shot, I am confident that you no longer see it as a good or significant play worth mentioning like you would if Irving had done it. That's just the way you roll.
laffertydaniel
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

People ITT are praising Lillard for being a more complete player than Irving. As if Lillard isn't completely hopeless on defense... like, lmao. Meanwhile, Irving stayed in front of any Warrior who got matched up onto him and just played a mistake free finals. Incredible performance, poise, and incredible ability to be efficient in not turning it over and also scoring at ridiculous efficiency (even without really getting to the line)

As if Lillard has the shotmaking/shooting/driving ability of Irving or anything remotely close to it.

It's been known by anyone who follows Kyrie and Lillard that Kyrie played at a level Lillard has never come close to for the entirety of the 2014-15 season and playoffs (even in the games he was hobbled) and after coming back from a shattered knee this past season, he played well in March/April and he had an absolutely MAGNIFICENT playoffs and AMAZING finals performance.

Lillard will never, ever come close to Kyrie (or Steph, but Steph does turn it over like Lillard lol... at least he can score like Kyrie, actually better than Kyrie, just not in the finals... we'll see how that matchup plays out over the years- currently I have them neck and neck, also CP3 is still a top 3 PG... after that, Westbrook, Lowry, then MAYBE Lillard.).
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:

You replied directly to my post with your typical logic, suggesting that I'm a "stan" in the process. I called (bleep), highlighted the fact that I haven't labelled you anything in the past (including a "stan"), and suggested that you simmer down. And now you play the victim card claiming that I got "personal real quick". Is that the measure of it?

geezus, i didn't call you a stan. i quoted your post and used the phrase lebron stans to refer to the fans not necessarily even here on the forum. and stan isn't offensive! I'm a kobe stan. We're all laker stans (except the trolls). if stan means something other than a die hard fan, then i may be using it incorrectly.
but at least i can confirm you are a die hard lebron fan! lol. maybe i'll come up with a word for it so it's not offensive...die hard fan...dan? dapper dan? i dont know. now look what you've done.

actually i wouldn't even have pegged you for a lebron fan until now. the only ones here i know of for sure are av and vlf. this ones on you my friend.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
the association wrote:

geezus, i didn't call you a stan. i quoted your post and used the phrase lebron stans to refer to the fans not necessarily even here on the forum. and stan isn't offensive! I'm a kobe stan. We're all laker stans (except the trolls). if stan means something other than a die hard fan, then i may be using it incorrectly.
but at least i can confirm you are a die hard lebron fan! lol. maybe i'll come up with a word for it so it's not offensive...die hard fan...dan? dapper dan? i dont know. now look what you've done.

actually i wouldn't even have pegged you for a lebron fan until now. the only ones here i know of for sure are av and vlf. this ones on you my friend.

I've never concealed that I'm a fan of LeBron's game, but the "die hard fan" label is ridiculous ... I don't own his jersey or any Cleveland apparel (Cavaliers or otherwise). I don't have LeBron-centric tattoos, e-mail addresses or screennames. I don't drive a wine-and-gold Tesla. My dog isn't named King James. I don't fly into Cleveland for Cavaliers games; in fact, I've never visited that city. And I'm more than willing to acknowledge when his play on the court is lackluster (by his standards). In fact, I've done it before on several occasions right here.

But the fact remains ... the (bleep) guy just ended the NBA Finals with three consecutive elimination games against a team considered by many to be one of the greatest (if not the greatest) NBA team(s) of all time... his average line was 36.3 points, 11.7 rebounds, 9.7 assists, 3.0 steals and 3.0 blocks (and 2.7 TOs, as well) ... shooting 51% from the field and 42% from three along the way. FFS, forget about the fact that it was three consecutive elimination games in the white-hot crucible of the NBA Finals ... stare at those numbers for a moment ... where have you ever seen a comparable line in ANY three consecutive NBA games, R/S or postseason, by any player in history?

Additionally, he almost singlehandedly outscored that all time team in the fourth quarter of Game 7, on the road, on the brink of becoming the first team in history to recover from a 3 - 1 deficit to win the NBA Finals. 30+ teams had come before in those circumstances, but only two or three had even reached a Game 7. None had won it. But the Cavaliers did the unthinkable, they won the NBA Finals with the help of one of the most iconic moments in NBA history, LeBron's critical block on Iguodala late in the fourth quarter of Game 7. That singular play was (bleep) bananas, plain and simple.

So, yeah ... it's not on me. It's on you and others for continuing to peddle a narrative that doesn't really square with reality. No, I'm not a "stan" for anyone. Maybe I was a "Magic stan" as a child, but that time is a distant memory. I know this, though ... if LeBron ran headlong into a burning building, with fiery timber slamming to the ground all around him, and heroically rescued a sack full of puppies and 30 small children, you know and I know that you would still find something to diminish the effort.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Yeah, I am a fan of Lebron because I am a fan of great basketball players. So I am a fan of Lebron, just as I am of Duncan, Bird, Kobe, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Durant, Garnett, Magic, Jordan, and a lot of other guys.

But I am not a fan in the sense that I root for him, or particularly care whether he succeeds or fails, or feel any emotion about him. I thought the finals were amazingly entertaining, but it would have been fine with me if the Warriors won. I don't care about his endorsements, or how many jerseys he sells, or his TV shows. In the same way, I don't really care what Kobe or Magic or Kareem are doing in retirement -- once they stopped playing basketball, they discontinued being important to me.

The only team I'm a fan of is the Lakers. But I don't get worked up praising Lakers just because they're Lakers or bashing non-Lakers just because they're non-Lakers. I don't think a Laker should win the MVP over a more deserving guy just because he's a Laker. Rivalries don't mean much to me. Thinking about the Celtics, the Spurs or the Kings doesn't raise my blood pressure.

So that's where you and I are different. You feel an intensely personal, emotional connection to Kobe, whereas I see basketball players as nothing more than entertainers, no different than actors or singers whose work I like.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Yeah, I am a fan of Lebron because I am a fan of great basketball players. So I am a fan of Lebron, just as I am of Duncan, Bird, Kobe, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Durant, Garnett, Magic, Jordan, and a lot of other guys.

But I am not a fan in the sense that I root for him, or particularly care whether he succeeds or fails, or feel any emotion about him. I thought the finals were amazingly entertaining, but it would have been fine with me if the Warriors won. I don't care about his endorsements, or how many jerseys he sells, or his TV shows. In the same way, I don't really care what Kobe or Magic or Kareem are doing in retirement -- once they stopped playing basketball, they discontinued being important to me.

The only team I'm a fan of is the Lakers. But I don't get worked up praising Lakers just because they're Lakers or bashing non-Lakers just because they're non-Lakers. I don't think a Laker should win the MVP over a more deserving guy just because he's a Laker. Rivalries don't mean much to me. Thinking about the Celtics, the Spurs or the Kings doesn't raise my blood pressure.

So that's where you and I are different. You feel an intensely personal, emotional connection to Kobe, whereas I see basketball players as nothing more than entertainers, no different than actors or singers whose work I like.

That is where I stand, I am a fan of many NBA players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

That is where I stand, I am a fan of many NBA players.

I think SB is using fan in a different sense -- someone who hangs a players poster up or wears their jersey, follows what the player does, roots for them to succeed, and wants their rivals/opponents to fail.

Can't say I'm a fan of anyone like that.

To me, being a fan simply means I respect a player's skills and accomplishments. But I don't have a rooting interest in any of them.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

He'll be remembered for hitting the most important shot in Cleveland sports history. Yes, he will get into the hall of fame. and deservedly so.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: