Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

I'm chatting on another board and there's this idiot who thinks Kobe wasn't a great defender compared with the likes of Lebron, Paul, Bowen, Kidd, Allen or Artest. I thought he was just joking or trolling at worst but he seems to insist that to be the case. My argument: 9 time All-Defensive 1st Team plus the best perimeter defender since MJ. Help me help this poor soul see the light...
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Who cares.

Kobe was a great defender for 10 years. Then lived off his reputation.

He D up when he needed to.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

Gatekeeper wrote:
I'm chatting on another board and there's this idiot who thinks Kobe wasn't a great defender compared with the likes of Lebron, Paul, Bowen, Kidd, Allen or Artest. I thought he was just joking or trolling at worst but he seems to insist that to be the case. My argument: 9 time All-Defensive 1st Team plus the best perimeter defender since MJ. Help me help this poor soul see the light...

He was a better defender than MJ, Kobe guarded the top wing on opposing teams and took them out the game, MJ had Scottie to do that for him, and LeBron is more of a Free Saftey on defense
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Been doing it his whole career. Sit down son.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Kobe in his prime was definitely a lockdown defender, and as another posted mentioned, he lived off his reputation and gambled defensively in his latter years. Then again, who else do you know who is the #1 offensive option on their team who can drop 30ppg on any given night AND completely shut down the #1 player on the opposing team?
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
Kobe in his prime was definitely a lockdown defender, and as another posted mentioned, he lived off his reputation and gambled defensively in his latter years. Then again, who else do you know who is the #1 offensive option on their team who can drop 30ppg on any given night AND completely shut down the #1 player on the opposing team?
Kobe, MJ, Lebron, TD, Hakeem even KG at some point.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Expect to see a lot of revisionist history now that the Cavs have been awarded the title.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2mq3v5i.jpg
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe was a terrible defender late in his career
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

Why even make a thread about this? One dumbass Lebron fan's opinion isnt worth making a thread about.

Kobe in his prime was a way better defender than Lebron. Those flashy chase down blocks have casual fans fooled about Lebron's defense.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:

Coming off Achilles and knee injuries...sure. But pre-Achilles, he could still shutdown the best of them if he was so inclined.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
TheGOATWears#24 wrote:

Yea kg was doing everything on those twolves teams..scoring, defending, rebounding, blocking sucks he wasted his best years there
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
TheGOATWears#24 wrote:

Exactly. There's not a whole lot of these types of players in the modern, save for LBJ, PG13, Kawhi and Butler. You're either an offensive or defensive force, but not both, which makes me appreciate KB even more. I miss the guy already.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

Coming off Achilles and knee injuries...sure. But pre-Achilles, he could still shutdown the best of them if he was so inclined.

He was terrible his last year of his career
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

In the Olympics, we saw what Kobe would look like if he dedicated himself to playing doberman-like defense throughout the entire game. On a team full of superstars, he was able to do that. However, it wasn't realistic to expect him to D up like that consistently as the #1 option for the Lakers.

Still, JVG said it best. Kobe is one of the greatest one-possession defenders the game has ever seen. He's the greatest one-possession defender I've ever seen, and that's saying something when you compare him to guys who were specifically defensive stoppers (i.e. Allen, Bowen, Battier, etc.). If I could choose anyone to guard the other team's top perimeter threat with the game on the line, I'd pick Kobe over anyone else.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Avoiding these types of discussions is exactly what's going to allow me to live with LeBron winning. I would advise you to do the same. Do not engage. That discussion you're having on that forum will go nowhere. State your opinion, state the facts, and then get the hell out.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Avoiding these types of discussions is exactly what's going to allow me to live with LeBron winning. I would advise you to do the same. Do not engage. That discussion you're having on that forum will go nowhere. State your opinion, state the facts, and then get the hell out.

Wise words. For the time being I'm just avoiding any all-basketball boards and hanging out on LG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

Gatekeeper wrote:

Kobe was a very good defender at one time, he took on the best opposing wings. He morphed to playing good defense in spurts to not playing D at all once his Achilles ruptured. But I would never say he was the best perimeter defender since MJ.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

venturalakersfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Kobe was a very good defender at one time, he took on the best opposing wings. He morphed to playing good defense in spurts to not playing D at all once his Achilles ruptured. But I would never say he was the best perimeter defender since MJ.

Jordan's defense was overrated in the sense that he wasn't a tenacious defender throughout the course of the game. That was Pippen. Kobe and Jordan both played defense in spurts. They were both as good as it gets when it came to getting just one stop to close the game.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person. It is impossible to win an argument with an idiot.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

Gatekeeper wrote:

How well players stack up against each other as defenders is one of the most subjective things in basketball. You have about as much chance of changing this guy's mind as he has of changing him. So engage him, if engaging him is fun for you, but don't expect him to budge an inch. You have nothing to say he won't disagree with or have a counterargument to
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

The problem was that, after a certain point, he was only inclined if his manhood was being directly challenged. Kobe in his early years was an absolutely brilliant defender (it was almost frightening how good he suddenly became, primarily after an All-Star Weekend session with GP if I remember correctly) but as early as 2004, Phil was already complaining about his laziness, ball-watching, and tendency to gamble for steals far more than necessary. All that became more pronounced as his career went on. He continued to have enough flashy plays and direct shutdowns on opposing players to coast on his early reputation and make a number of all-D teams, but really Kobe peaked defensively in the 2000-2003 years, and often neglected that side of the ball later in his career.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

So for those curious, here's how I ended it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Wasn't A Good Defender - According to a Lebron Fan

Gatekeeper wrote:

Don't cheat on LG.

This is from his MVP season.

Also, ask him who was the defensive stopper for Team USA when Kobe and Lebron played together?

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Who cares. Also, I would stay away from any defense arguments when it comes to LeBron. He is an amazing def player.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

since when is Lebron is shut down defender? sure he gets the fancy blocks and steals, but he is never on the best wing players of the other team.
Kobe has more all defensive honors than all those them, and these are voted by the coaches.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: