Which Current Young Laker Players Will Benefit the Most from Coach Luke?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Which Current Young Laker Players Will Benefit the Most from Coach Luke?

I like what I heard from Coach Luke yesterday. Talking about a looser and more fun culture, sharing the ball, having multiple dimensional defenders, etc. That being said, assuming we keep most of the young core, which of the current young players will excel and benefit the most under the new coach?

In order for me:

1. DLO: It's obvious that Coach Luke/DLO is a match made in heaven. He's already picking Luke's brain about how he can play the "Steph" role in this offense. Coming from Byron, I expect DLO to play...well, like a car that finally has its parking brake off after dragging for a few miles.

2. Ingram : likely we draft him, but this dude fits to a T to what Luke just talked about. 3/D, defensive versatility, etc. He will be a major problem in Luke's system.

3. JC: He isn't in the Steph/Klay archetype of players, but I think he can excel as a scoring guard in Luke's system. The hope is he will be able to make quick and good decisions with the ball and not just get tunnel vision as a scorer. A lot of that was brought by Byron's culture of "getting yours" and I think that changes with Coach Luke. If we don't pick up any notable FAs of note, I can see JC leading the team in scoring, somewhere in the 18-20 ppg.

4. Randle: he will have the most IMO to change/learn. I don't think we will see as much 1 on 1 bull run isolations. He'll need to improve his shooting and passing in Luke's system (and I think Jules can be an effective passer at the forward position).

5. Nance/Brown: two role players who will fit nicely in Luke's system. Luke talked about Brown and his length and defensive potential. I think he gets another shot under Luke. Nance, I'm intrigued with the possibilities of playing him as a small ball center.

*I think T.Black should be back but I'm not certain. He would be a decent backup player off the bench.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject:

Good summary, I agree wiith your points.

Though, I'm guessing by saying Ingram will be a problem in Luke's system you meant for other teams? =)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Good summary, I agree wiith your points.

Though, I'm guessing by saying Ingram will be a problem in Luke's system you meant for other teams? =)

No doubt. Imagine a 23-24 year old Ingram in Kerr's system playing 3-4 positions. Wow.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject:

Lou Williams is dreaming of being the next curry, chucking up uncontested shots from 30 feet out...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Lou Williams is dreaming of being the next curry, chucking up uncontested shots from 30 feet out...

And if he does so he can continue dreaming from the bench.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

Russell and Ingram I think Luke's going to bet on and for good reason too.
Sadly, I don't see how JC fits into the equation especially in the long term as those 2 get better(older) and replicate his 'worth'(points) at an arguably more efficient clip.
After watching GS go the way of the Hindenerg, Randle most certainly has a role to play and Luke's gonna make sure of that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
Russell and Ingram I think Luke's going to bet on and for good reason too.
Sadly, I don't see how JC fits into the equation especially in the long term as those 2 get better(older) and replicate his 'worth'(points) at an arguably more efficient clip.
After watching GS go the way of the Hindenerg, Randle most certainly has a role to play and Luke's gonna make sure of that.

Yeah. JC/Randle will be interesting in Luke's system.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

I think Clarkson will benefit the most. He was held back more than anyone on the team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject:

ALL OF THEM!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I think Clarkson will benefit the most. He was held back more than anyone on the team.

I don't see how he will benefit more than DLO or Ingram. He will still be primarily a scorer IMO in the system, and he had the 2nd most shot attempts after Kobe last year. What I do hope is improvement on defense and passing vision.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject:

Randle. Out of every player we have, he needs to be coached up the most. It's also why he has more potential than most people think. He's coming from such a huge deficit in knowledge. He's played mostly off of instinct and what he can pick up on his own. A coach that actually shows him the right way to play will do amazing things for him. In many ways, its what Luke did for Green all over again.

If we're just talking "system," though... there is no doubt that Russell is tailor made for this system and it will really suit his game well. In truth, every player will benefit compared to what we ran with Scott, so if we're just talking "system," hard to say who will benefit the most. Probably go with Russell though.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Randle. Out of every player we have, he needs to be coached up the most. It's also why he has more potential than most people think. He's coming from such a huge deficit in knowledge. He's played mostly off of instinct and what he can pick up on his own. A coach that actually shows him the right way to play will do amazing things for him. In many ways, its what Luke did for Green all over again.

If we're just talking "system," though... there is no doubt that Russell is tailor made for this system and it will really suit his game well. In truth, every player will benefit compared to what we ran with Scott, so if we're just talking "system," hard to say who will benefit the most. Probably go with Russell though.

Yeah, from a "biggest swing" standpoint, it's Randle as he was utterly misused in Byron's system and was allowed to develop some bad habits...and still averaged a double/double!!!

Agreed on DLO. This system is why the Lakers said they're not putting him on the trade block. DLO/Ingram are tailor made for everything Luke talked about.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I don't see how he will benefit more than DLO or Ingram. He will still be primarily a scorer IMO in the system, and he had the 2nd most shot attempts after Kobe last year. What I do hope is improvement on defense and passing vision.
He will get to be in attack mode more. He's more athletic and just physically ready to take the next step. Clarkson avg 15.5 pts while playing alongside Kobe is an accomplishment. That's tough to do. I think he's due for a breakout 3rd year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He will get to be in attack mode more. He's more athletic and just physically ready to take the next step. Clarkson avg 15.5 pts while playing alongside Kobe is an accomplishment. That's tough to do. I think he's due for a breakout 3rd year.

He was in attack mode all season. Again, I agree Byron held the young players back, but JC was given a green light to attack and score all season long. He was never arbitrarily benched and bad mouthed in the media like DLO/Randle were.

JC has a good role to play on the team. But I don't see Luke trying to feature JC as a premier (i.e. 25-27 ppg scorer) at the expense of team ball.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

JC didn't have the green light playing alongside Kobe and Lou. He had to defer most of the year even though he was the most consistent player. I don't think he will avg 25 -27 pts either, but 20 pts, 5 rebs, 4 ast on 46% FG, 37% 3pt is reasonable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
JC didn't have the green light playing alongside Kobe and Lou. He had to defer most of the year even though he was the most consistent player. I don't think he will avg 25 -27 pts either, but 20 pts, 5 rebs, 4 ast on 46% FG, 37% 3pt is reasonable.

I know you want to steer this towards JC, but can we have a more holistic conversation here? I don't want this thread to be hijacked.
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject:

Clarkson def had the green light last year to attack and chuck at will.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:

Randle. He needs to be micromanaged and taught basketball fundamentals on both ends of the court. I think Walton will do that.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

I just answered the question and gave you reasons why Clarkson will benefit the most. In order I'd say Clarkson, Russell, Ingram, Randle, then Nance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

I'm really intrigued to see how he will develop Nance as well. If he can hit that mid-range shot (of course 3 point would be helpful too), he can have a colorable pump fake game where he takes the ball to the rack.

Defensively, would love to have a crop of players who are long and are able to cross match easily. We have some long players (DLo, Ingram) and guys like Randle who can switch onto perimeter players.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

Ingram/JC/Russell will benefit not only from Luke's new system but from BShaw who had a major influence on Paul George's growth in Indiana.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

I think the most notable impact will be the rise in efficiency and output of Russell and Clarkson's scoring, assuming we don't get another established big time scorer.

In terms of the biggest overall impact on his game, it should be Randle if everything goes as planned. The question remains whether he will be up to it.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject:

Russell. I truly think we will see the Ohio Russell.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

Easily D'Angelo, I want to see how he utilizes him in the post.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: