Which Current Young Laker Players Will Benefit the Most from Coach Luke?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

Probably all of them.

He's a fan of length and versatility so expect to see cats like Nance and Brown in the spotlight a lot more.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Probably all of them.

He's a fan of length and versatility so expect to see cats like Nance and Brown in the spotlight a lot more.

Brown will be an interesting test case. I'd still give him another season to see what he has. He really needs to hit 3 pointer to be effective. His D at times was effective.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm really intrigued to see how he will develop Nance as well. If he can hit that mid-range shot (of course 3 point would be helpful too), he can have a colorable pump fake game where he takes the ball to the rack.

Defensively, would love to have a crop of players who are long and are able to cross match easily. We have some long players (DLo, Ingram) and guys like Randle who can switch onto perimeter players.

Yeah, how Ljr fits in is gonna be interesting. If he comes back with more confidence and an even steadier jumper, its gonna be interesting how Luke sets things.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

The most obvious is D'angelo. It seems he has been the one who's had the most communication with coach Luke. I like the fact they've been reaching out to each other since the hiring.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Lou Williams is dreaming of being the next curry, chucking up uncontested shots from 30 feet out...

And if he does so he can continue dreaming from the bench.

I'd rather he'd continue dreaming from the bench with another team.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

Simple answer: All the young players will benefit from having Luke as a coach.

A real offensive system: check
Coaches that actually teach: check
Any defensive scheme that's better than "Man up": check

You could go on (and on and on and on), but any of the young players that actually want to learn and will put in the effort are probably going to benefit (Nick Young I'm not so sure about)
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

I don't see how Clarkson benefits at all... He's terrible defensively. Don't let the new system fool you into thinking Clarkson gets better.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I don't see how Clarkson benefits at all... He's terrible defensively. Don't let the new system fool you into thinking Clarkson gets better.
Less isolation sets where he dribbles and dribble and dribbles. There were times he just held on to the ball for way too long and the offense stagnated.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

D'GOAT for sure.
BlindManInTheDark
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

I think it's Black if we resign him. He had a good rookie season and didn't get playing time last year.

Brown may also have a chance to prove himself. He was a consistent three point shooter in college, but was missing most of his shots maybe due a lack of rhythm.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
Russell and Ingram I think Luke's going to bet on and for good reason too.
Sadly, I don't see how JC fits into the equation especially in the long term as those 2 get better(older) and replicate his 'worth'(points) at an arguably more efficient clip.
After watching GS go the way of the Hindenerg, Randle most certainly has a role to play and Luke's gonna make sure of that.

I disagree regarding JC. If Luke implements the GSW offense, then roles won't be defined by position (i.e. PG facilitates, SG scores, etc.). Roles within the offense will be be defined by skill level, which is why Green and Iggy facilitated the offense as much as Curry did.

IMO, JC is better suited to mixing up his playmaking and scoring. He was excellent as a rookie in this role, and although he was solid as a scoring guard last season, I don't think he played as well as he did in his rookie season. I think he'll be much more comfortable in Luke's system where he won't be pigeonholed into a specific role.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Simple answer: All the young players will benefit from having Luke as a coach.

A real offensive system: check
Coaches that actually teach: check
Any defensive scheme that's better than "Man up": check

You could go on (and on and on and on), but any of the young players that actually want to learn and will put in the effort are probably going to benefit (Nick Young I'm not so sure about)

This. All of our young guys should be a great fit for Luke's system. Some like Russell will adapt to it seamlessly while others like Randle will have to grow into it a bit more. Still, I expect all of our young guys to look noticeably better under Luke's coaching.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

It's funny how everyone forgets how effective Clarkson was during his rookie season as a playmaker and scorer. He's going to have more opportunities to play a more diversified game in Luke's system. He is used to having the ball in his hands and creating for himself and others. Even though he was a designated scorer for us last season, he really wasn't given as many opportunities to create offense as he was during his rookie year. I see JC flourishing under Luke.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

It's funny how everyone forgets how effective Clarkson was during his rookie season as a playmaker and scorer. He's going to have more opportunities to play a more diversified game in Luke's system. He is used to having the ball in his hands and creating for himself and others. Even though he was a designated scorer for us last season, he really wasn't given as many opportunities to create offense as he was during his rookie year. I see JC flourishing under Luke.

It's funny how some think that Luke will turn JC into a big-time lead scorer. I agree with your take that he will utilize him in a combo guard role which may not lead to scoring in the 20s but a more well-rounded and efficient game.
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

The obvious answer here is DLO. I think that having more freedom to operate with screens will make him look good. Also all the moving and cutting will make he use his court vision to find teammates.

Defensively I go with Ingram (if we draft him tomorrow) From day one I see him as someone who can switch on all screens and guard everyone.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

It's funny how some think that Luke will turn JC into a big-time lead scorer. I agree with your take that he will utilize him in a combo guard role which may not lead to scoring in the 20s but a more well-rounded and efficient game.

yin, there's only one guy that thinks that. With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see JC become an 18-20 ppg scorer on this team next season. Of course, this depends on whether or not we are able to get a lead scorer through free agency.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

Genaro wrote:
The obvious answer here is DLO. I think that having more freedom to operate with screens will make him look good. Also all the moving and cutting will make he use his court vision to find teammates.

Defensively I go with Ingram (if we draft him tomorrow) From day one I see him as someone who can switch on all screens and guard everyone.

Offensively, Dlo will have a seamless transition since his game is tailor-made for Luke's system. Defensively, I think Nance is going to shine the most. Ingram will get there eventually but not before going through some growing pains as he adjusts to the speed of the game and experiences how much stronger players are at this level.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Nothing is funny... Clarkson is a knock off version of Jamal Crawford. If you want to sell me on him having a role as a super 6th man who has a responsibility just for scoring, then I'll buy that. But if you are selling that he's going to be diverse and extremely special on both sides of the ball, then I can't buy that.

I've seen nothing in his game that convinces me he's more than just a scorer. Everyone can't play both sides of the ball or handle multiple roles. Clarkson is an average player with a scorers mentality.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

DLo will probably benefit the most considering Byron had no clue how to use his talents, especially scoring-wise. I think BS expected him to be an elite assist man like Magic or Kidd from day one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Nothing is funny... Clarkson is a knock off version of Jamal Crawford. If you want to sell me on him having a role as a super 6th man who has a responsibility just for scoring, then I'll buy that. But if you are selling that he's going to be diverse and extremely special on both sides of the ball, then I can't buy that.

I've seen nothing in his game that convinces me he's more than just a scorer. Everyone can't play both sides of the ball or handle multiple roles. Clarkson is an average player with a scorers mentality.

I'm not writing of JC after 2 seasons. This will def be an important season for him as it will help show us a bit more of his trajectory.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Like I said, you clearly don't remember how he played as a rookie where he played a more balanced role as a distributor and scorer. I agree with you with regards to not liking how JC played at time lasts season (re: tunnel vision on O and just bad D period). He has a ton of work to do on the defensive end, and JC has acknowledged as much. On O, I just think he wasn't utilized correctly. His value as a combo guard is that he can score and create for others. If you tell him to do just one or the other, then I think his game suffers as a result. Under Luke, he'll have opportunities to handle the ball and create for others. He'll also get better perimeter looks and more open lanes to the basket in a system that emphasizes ball movement and spacing. I just don't see how he won't excel (offensively) in that type of system. You view him as a chucker, but I think there's much more to his game than that. Time will tell...
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Like I said, you clearly don't remember how he played as a rookie where he played a more balanced role as a distributor and scorer. I agree with you with regards to not liking how JC played at time lasts season (re: tunnel vision on O and just bad D period). He has a ton of work to do on the defensive end, and JC has acknowledged as much. On O, I just think he wasn't utilized correctly. His value as a combo guard is that he can score and create for others. If you tell him to do just one or the other, then I think his game suffers as a result. Under Luke, he'll have opportunities to handle the ball and create for others. He'll also get better perimeter looks and more open lanes to the basket in a system that emphasizes ball movement and spacing. I just don't see how he won't excel (offensively) in that type of system. You view him as a chucker, but I think there's much more to his game than that. Time will tell...

As you say... Time will tell...

With that said, what is his ceiling? JR Smith? JR Rider? Kerry Kittles? Kevin Martin?

Could Clarkson develop into an extremely low budget version of Dwayne Wade?

I'm not sure what to expect from him because he hasn't grown much from a basketball perspective.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Hence, benefiting from Luke as a coach. Hell, actually having a coach at all will help them all.

It might throw them off a bit at first to hear someone say something nice about them or having conversations or explaining the reasons for certain things, but eventually they will get used to being treated like human beings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

DLO/Randle will instinctively walk to the back and bring back a belt or whip when Luke says he "wants to talk to them."

Bad habits.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Magic Huertas and Bobby Sucre
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: