OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Again, you can find rookie stats from players who are now elite that were terrible. My point is these kids are still raw.

If it makes sense to you to draw conclusions based on first year numbers so be it. I suspect there's nothing anyone could say to convince you it doesn't make much sense. The rational is, this is who he is now.. so this is who he most likely will always be. We can just agree to disagree, but I personally feel it's silly to make any assumptions after one year in the league. I'm thinking you probably don't expect Russell to always be a lousy shooter.

I'm talking about shooting. You do realize I wrote an article in January on why Ingram's terrible rookie year stats don't matte in certain aspects? Yes, I'm aware he's a skinny rookie adapting to the league, and I obviously factor that into the evaluation. But shooting is something that translates to future performance more directly, so I'm not just going to shrug at some poor numbers shooting beyond 24+ feet (something which was true for him in NCAA as well, when he earned his rep as a shooter) when paired with his FT%.

I have no idea why you're bringing up Russell (actually, I do but I'll play nice), but I'm concerned about him becoming an elite shooter as well. In terms of elite shooting, his FT% is not up to snuff either (77%), and his 3FG% splits aren't that impressive (either by C&S/pullup or by contested/uncontested). I have no idea why you're calling him a lousy shooter, but yes I am concerned he won't get to the >40% mark on all 3s (and >35% on pullup 3s) that'll get him to that next level.

Damm toxxie when did you become all sophisticated, writing articles & fancy stuff?

Now hurry up and send link to that article

I wrote it for GT's site a while ago. It's pretty outdated -- I talk about how BI doesn't really dunk at the rim or show that much explosiveness Here's a link
lmao. That's why I'm hesitant now on saying anything about Ingram's long term inability to do something. He went from very bad to very good in several different skills mid season. I want to see what he looks like after a full offseason of work. He's nothing but raw clay right now, clay that already started to change rapidly mid season. His outstanding physical tools, tangible progress mid season, and reputed work ethic and coachability make me very, very optimistic about his future development.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
For the life of me I really can't understand why anyone would be harping on his shooting after one year. It makes zero sense to me, unless you just don't like the kid.

Why would you harp on any deficiency of a one year prospect that's fixable?

He shot 24.5% on non corner 3s. He shot 62% from the line. That's tantamount to saying Randle's inability to shoot after his rookie year (71.5% from the line, 31.25% on non corner 3s, 0-4 on corners 3s) shouldn't be a concern about his game.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions as to how proficient he'd be in the long run based on rookie numbers. But that's just me.

You could also pull up some awful rookie stats from other players who are now elite.

Can you? I'd be interested if you can find anyone with comparable shooting numbers -- 62% from the line, 25% on non-corner 3s-- who became a decent shooter from 24+ feet out. Someone brought up Butler, who shot hardly any 3s as a rookie, but he shot 77% from the line. I'd be relieved to find players whose template BI could follow in terms of shooting.

Dont know about the free throw line, Here are some guys who went from subpar 3pt shooters when they entered the league to either above average or great ones (some in their second year and others after a few years) - Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Danny Green, Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Tracy McGrady, Michael Jordan and James Posey. Im sure there are a lot more. I seem to recall that Bruce Bowen was a terrible free throw shooter for his entire career.

I also think this is an eye test thing too. Ingram appears to be a good shooter, but his mechanics get a little funky when he starts pulling some distance. Honestly, I'm curious if this might be a strength thing, i.e. he messes with his mechanics to garner the strength to get the distance on his shot. Maybe he gets stronger and that becomes less the case.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Most important thing I've heard from Ingram is them working on changing his shot and when GT insinuated what would need to be work on, Trudell confirmed that's precisely what it was.

THAT is the biggest news for Ingram this off-season imo.

here's the tweet

Quote:
Mike Trudell‏Verified account @LakersReporter

Brandon Ingram’s been spending a lot of time working on/fine-tuning his shot w/LAL’s staff. Focus on the release, really breaking it down.

We shall see. Changing a players natural shooting for is always tricky. But he seemed to do it on mid range jumpers this year, and it translated to very positive results. Hopefully the stroke can be fixed. Particularly from the free throw line. But his solid college 3pt percentage and his very good mid range shooting after the all star break are encouraging signs that he has some natural shooting ability.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
For the life of me I really can't understand why anyone would be harping on his shooting after one year. It makes zero sense to me, unless you just don't like the kid.

He shot 24.5% on non corner 3s. He shot 62% from the line. That's tantamount to saying Randle's inability to shoot after his rookie year (71.5% from the line, 31.25% on non corner 3s, 0-4 on corners 3s) shouldn't be a concern about his game.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions as to how proficient he'd be in the long run based on rookie numbers. But that's just me.

You could also pull up some awful rookie stats from other players who are now elite.

Can you? I'd be interested if you can find anyone with comparable shooting numbers -- 62% from the line, 25% on non-corner 3s-- who became a decent shooter from 24+ feet out. Someone brought up Butler, who shot hardly any 3s as a rookie, but he shot 77% from the line. I'd be relieved to find players whose template BI could follow in terms of shooting.

Dont know about the free throw line, Here are some guys who went from subpar 3pt shooters when they entered the league to either above average or great ones (some in their second year and others after a few years) - Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Danny Green, Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Tracy McGrady, Michael Jordan and James Posey. Im sure there are a lot more. I seem to recall that Bruce Bowen was a terrible free throw shooter for his entire career.

I also think this is an eye test thing too. Ingram appears to be a good shooter, but his mechanics get a little funky when he starts pulling some distance. Honestly, I'm curious if this might be a strength thing, i.e. he messes with his mechanics to garner the strength to get the distance on his shot. Maybe he gets stronger and that becomes less the case.

Yeah, I don't think there's any use in looking for past examples of players like BI that found success later in their careers because there just aren't many 6'9", 190-pound 18-year-olds that have entered the NBA.

What I care more about is the fact that he HAS shown an ability to shoot the ball. His jumper isn't broken by any means, and he's had some success shooting at shorter distances. That's something to build on, and as he tweaks his shot mechanics, adds strength, and grows into his body, I don't really see why it's so hard to project him extending his range a few feet. It's not like we're dealing with a Josh Jackson or De'Aaron Fox here, where the jumpshot itself is in question.

In any case, we're gonna find out next season, one way or another. If it doesn't tangibly improve by Year 2, then yes, we have a problem. But until then, why not be optimistic?

Last edited by TheBlackMamba on Sat May 27, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

J. R. Smith shot 40% from 3, while shooting 63% from the FT line. in 15-16
He's at 35% and 66% this year.

Lou Williams.. Rookie year 61% from the line, 22% from three.
He's peeked at 88% from the line, and 38% from three.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Yep, this is potentially an issue for him. It is certainly an issue for me. I can knock down the college three pretty well, but have to alter my form to get the ball to the rim on the NBA three.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
All I ask for is Ingram to be a 35.5% 3pt shooter in his prime
I think that's enough to open up his game and be an Allstar. Hopefully he's good in the midrange too

Ingram shooting 36% on 3s on consistent attempts would be a game changer.

This is just another reason why I like him better at the 4. The threshold for being an above average or even average shooter is just lower there than at the 3 where as a team you get slaughtered for poor shooting.

Giannis shot 27% from 3. Became a first time all star and arguably a top 5 player. I don't remember him being slaughtered for poor shooting.
He's a different caliber athlete. Ingram needs the three point threat to open up his driving threat. Giannis does not. Ingram needs to get his three point shooting up into the mid 30's to unlock his superstar upside. I still think Ingram will be an All Star though if he shoots around 33% from three.

I view Russell similarly. He needs to get up to around 38% to be an all star. If he can get to 40%+, he also has superstar upside imo. But it's tough to do that. He's a good shooter but I don't know if he can become an elite shooter, particularly off the dribble.

I disagree. His triple threat skills dont necessarily need to come from the three point line. Last year, he showed he can penetrate and get to the basket without the benefit of a consistent jumper. I do hope he becomes a great 3 point shooter, but he can definately become a dominant player in that mid post area where i think he has shown flashes of brilliance. In regards to comparing dlo to ingram, i feel the fo sees a lot more than we do. I like dlo alot. He has shown a lot of promise and hes obviously a better player than ingram so far. But i think it is very telling, that tiny could start off so poorly at the beginning of the season, flip a switch and show incredible improvement, and have every single laker coach, player, and staff recognize his work ethic, attitude, and love for the game. I see them as both having incredible talent, but the separation lies in the will to be great. Tiny is about the action. He's got the juice. He said in his own words, he will attack his weaknesses. Dlo running at the beach and taking pics, doesnt make me excited. id rather see him working with a plyometrics guru. Just because he isnt explosive naturally, doesnt mean he cant maximize and push his body to new heights. He is a jump shooter, and with such a heavy reliance, he needs to become great because without it, he can dissappear on the court.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

Not really. Lou shot 2-9 from 3 and 8-13 from the line as a rookie. His stats are inconsequential due to the sample size.
So far, Kidd & JR Smith (29%/ 69%) are the two good examples I've seen so far.

Last edited by tox on Sat May 27, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

Are those outliers? Or does FT% and 3PT% not correlate?
Where are the stats majors at?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Yeah, if we drop the FT% qualifier, then a lot more players fit the bill. That qualifier is important to me though. Were BI shooting 78% from the line, I don't think I'd be concerned at all.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

No. Look behind the numbers. Lou barely took any 3s that year.

Do you guys realize finding an exception doesn't make your case? If anything, it bolsters the counter point.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

Not really. Lou shot 2-9 from 3 and 8-13 from the line as a rookie. His stats are inconsequential due to the sample size.
So far, Kidd & JR Smith (29%/ 69%) are the two good examples I've seen so far.

Jason Richardson.. 59% 36% 11-12
67% 38% 05-06

Jameer Nelson rookie year. 68% 31%
Second year.. 77% 42%
Peeked at 88% 45%
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

Do you guys realize finding an exception doesn't make your case? If anything, it bolsters the counter point.

This would be true if there weren't so many exceptions.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

And with all those exceptions, the one that closed the case for you was an example of a rookie who took 9 threes the whole season on 4.8 minutes a game?

Your "boom" exception isn't even an exception.

The exception proves the rule.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Jared Dudley.. 67% 39% 08-09
65% 36% 13-14
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
E=MC² wrote:
dao wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Boom. Case closed.

And with all those exceptions, the one that closed the case for you was an example of a rookie who took 9 threes the whole season on 4.8 minutes a game?

Your "boom" exception isn't even an exception.

The exception proves the rule.

I never said anything about a case being closed, and even tox acknowledged Jason Kid and J.R. were valid.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Raja Bell 67% 41% Third year.
Peaked at 86% 44%

Boris Diaw Rookie year 60% 23%
Peak% 77% 41%

There are so many more btw.

I will concede tox made the case that Ingram never had NBA 3 point range to begin with.

With that being said I don't agree with the other premise.

Last edited by SocalDevin on Sat May 27, 2017 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Peaked at 86% 44%

Peak% 77% 41%

I will concede tox made the case that Ingram never had NBA 3 point range to begin with.

Raja Bell took 34 FTs in his third year. He shot 75% the season before. His third year was an anomaly.

Diaw took 26 three pointers his rookie year.

With so many supposed exceptions out there, why are you picking ones with such low attempts? Wouldnt you want to pick among the good exceptions??

Ingram took 187 threes, for reference.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Peaked at 86% 44%

Peak% 77% 41%

Raja Bell took 34 FTs in his third year. He shot 75% the season before. His third year was an anomaly.

Diaw took 26 three pointers his rookie year.

With so many supposed exceptions out there, why are you picking ones with such low attempts? Wouldnt you want to pick among the good exceptions??

Ingram took 187 threes, for reference.

I've provided more than enough to support my position. Believe what you will though. =)
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't call Brandon Ingram's rookie rebounding trash smh, he was better than I anticipated, he's only gonna get stronger and get pushed around lesser. He also doesn't need to be an elite shooter to be great at basketball. Enjoyed reading your debates tho, good arguements from both sides.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Lovefool wrote:
dao wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
All I ask for is Ingram to be a 35.5% 3pt shooter in his prime
I think that's enough to open up his game and be an Allstar. Hopefully he's good in the midrange too

Ingram shooting 36% on 3s on consistent attempts would be a game changer.

This is just another reason why I like him better at the 4. The threshold for being an above average or even average shooter is just lower there than at the 3 where as a team you get slaughtered for poor shooting.

Giannis shot 27% from 3. Became a first time all star and arguably a top 5 player. I don't remember him being slaughtered for poor shooting.
He's a different caliber athlete. Ingram needs the three point threat to open up his driving threat. Giannis does not. Ingram needs to get his three point shooting up into the mid 30's to unlock his superstar upside. I still think Ingram will be an All Star though if he shoots around 33% from three.

I view Russell similarly. He needs to get up to around 38% to be an all star. If he can get to 40%+, he also has superstar upside imo. But it's tough to do that. He's a good shooter but I don't know if he can become an elite shooter, particularly off the dribble.

I disagree. His triple threat skills dont necessarily need to come from the three point line. Last year, he showed he can penetrate and get to the basket without the benefit of a consistent jumper. I do hope he becomes a great 3 point shooter, but he can definately become a dominant player in that mid post area where i think he has shown flashes of brilliance. In regards to comparing dlo to ingram, i feel the fo sees a lot more than we do. I like dlo alot. He has shown a lot of promise and hes obviously a better player than ingram so far. But i think it is very telling, that tiny could start off so poorly at the beginning of the season, flip a switch and show incredible improvement, and have every single laker coach, player, and staff recognize his work ethic, attitude, and love for the game. I see them as both having incredible talent, but the separation lies in the will to be great. Tiny is about the action. He's got the juice. He said in his own words, he will attack his weaknesses. Dlo running at the beach and taking pics, doesnt make me excited. id rather see him working with a plyometrics guru. Just because he isnt explosive naturally, doesnt mean he cant maximize and push his body to new heights. He is a jump shooter, and with such a heavy reliance, he needs to become great because without it, he can disappear on the court.
yeah I agree on Ingram to a point. His strong mid range game, solid handles, quick first step, long strides, center length, 40 inch vert will make him a big time driving threat out of the triple threat even if he doesn't become a good three point shooter. Like I said, if he can get to around 33% from three, he can be an all star. But I do think that he needs to become a good three point shooter to become a super star.

As far as Russell is concerned, I'm not really in position to psychoanalyze him and judge his love for the game. He will be just fine imo though. I think Lonzo Ball's impact on ball movement and general offensive flow will help Russell most out of any of our young players. Russell is a system player imo. He will be at his best in an offense that has great ball movement, off ball player movement, etc. His IQ/feel for the game, catch and shoot skills, and passing skills will really start to shine when the offense starts to run smoothly. Lonzo Ball will facilitate that sort of change in the offense. His passing mindset is contagious, and it really uplifts the entire unit when he's on the floor. Lonzo, Russell, Ingram, and even Zubac all have excellent IQ and feel for the game. We're going to see some beautiful basketball in the coming years.

The one guy I have questions about is Randle. He doesn't have the same feel for the game as the other young players. But if he can improve his shooting and develop more awareness, he also could work well, since his passing skill and ball handling are definitely advanced for a young PF. But he has to work on the awareness/IQ.

Hell, now that I think about it, running the offense through Randle as point forward might actually be interesting if Zubac and Ingram become three point shooters. Similar to how GS does with Green, he leads their team in assists from the PF spot. I'm pretty confident Zubac will be a 33%+ three point shooter. Hopefully Ingram will be as well. Surrounding Randle with 4 shooters could be quite interesting.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Instead of jumping on the "It's okay if Ingram sucks at free throws cause other players have been bad from free throw and been okay from the three point line.."

why not jump on the "Ingram should improve both his free throw shooting AND three point shooting." one instead because that's just as possible.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Instead of jumping on the "It's okay if Ingram sucks at free throws cause other players have been bad from free throw and been okay from the three point line.."

why not jump on the "Ingram should improve both his free throw shooting AND three point shooting." one instead because that's just as possible.

Everyone is already on the "he should improve both train", I'm sure me and tox are in agreement there. And the possibility of him improving.

I was merely attempting to prove we shouldn't be concerned just yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 492 of 1885
Jump to: