OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, a one year rental when we were going to be big players in free agency.

Who said we were going to be big players in 2017 FA? They said the opposite, and got a good quality starting SG.

Magic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, a one year rental when we were going to be big players in free agency.

Who said we were going to be big players in 2017 FA? They said the opposite, and got a good quality starting SG.

Magic.

He did not say that. He said he was punting to 2018. And instead of wasting our cap going forward just b/c we had the cap space, he got a quality player in KCP and we have the cap space going forward to shoot for 2 max in 2018.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

He did when he took over. I never seriously considered it, most of what he has been saying publicly for years is BS. As for Ingram, he seems to be a basic iso player and as such could be the end of game player Pelinka has said he could be. Nice piece to have going forward.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Ingram is gonna ball this year, and he can be a go-to scorer eventually. However, I don't think we want to call iso plays late in the game with everyone else clearing space with their hands in their pockets. I think Zo and BI can both attack the paint and either create for themselves or others late in the game. Both seem to play well off-the-ball too, so they can be used interchangeably, as decoys (at times), to draw the defense to the opposite side of the action (assuming their 3pt% is solid this year to make them legit threats from outside). Meanwhile, Randle/Nance/Zubac attack the glass and get ready for lobs or easy finishes, and Clarkson/Kuz cut or knock down open shots when the defense focuses on BI/Zo.

Lopez on the left block is the obvious goto place for a late or halfcourt bucket, but I guess because he's gone in year then don't really care too much. I hate when team politics gets in the way of what's functionally best. It was the same with Nance's depressed minutes.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

People seem to be basing their opinions on Ingram on one SL game where he was obviously given the go-ahead to isolate and score. BI showed himself last year to be an intelligent and unselfish player who can fit into the scheme in numerous ways. The FO sees that he is one of the only players on the team who can create his own bucket, so they are going to use that when they need it. But that doesn't mean he can't pass or play within the system. I think it's ridiculous that the prevailing opinion among some is that he is a strictly ISO-type player. That was just one game. And I'm pretty sure that is what he was asked to show in that game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
People seem to be basing their opinions on Ingram on one SL game where he was obviously given the go-ahead to isolate and score. BI showed himself last year to be an intelligent and unselfish player who can fit into the scheme in numerous ways. The FO sees that he is one of the only players on the team who can create his own bucket, so they are going to use that when they need it. But that doesn't mean he can't pass or play within the system. I think it's ridiculous that the prevailing opinion among some is that he is a strictly ISO-type player. That was just one game. And I'm pretty sure that is what he was asked to show in that game.

I was hoping that he would have some more catch/shoot 3s game, as well operate off the pick as the shooter in his game, but we haven't seen much of that yet.

I think what folks are saying is that it's his instinct to be a type of player who operates at the mid post (ala Melo/Kobe/DRoz) as opposed to catch/shoot (Klay).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

What I am saying is that often at the end of games you need players who can iso to score. In the 2016 Finals with Curry hobbled GS didn't have that and struggled to score at the end of games. In 2017 they had KD to do that. No one is calling KD selfish, it is just a skill he has to break out when needed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
What I am saying is that often at the end of games you need players who can iso to score. In the 2016 Finals with Curry hobbled GS didn't have that and struggled to score at the end of games. In 2017 they had KD to do that. No one is calling KD selfish, it is just a skill he has to break out when needed.

I think that's Ingram default, triple threat from the elbow area. What i think will really unleash his scoring is better 3 point shooting.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:

I was hoping that he would have some more catch/shoot 3s game, as well operate off the pick as the shooter in his game, but we haven't seen much of that yet.

I think what folks are saying is that it's his instinct to be a type of player who operates at the mid post (ala Melo/Kobe/DRoz) as opposed to catch/shoot (Klay).

Exactly. And Idk why everyone is assuming he'll all of the sudden be extraordinary at creating his own shot. That was one of his weaknesses last year and a pleasant surprise in the one SPL game. I hope he does get better at it but I wouldn't consider that a strong point until I see it consistently in games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Ingram is gonna ball this year, and he can be a go-to scorer eventually. However, I don't think we want to call iso plays late in the game with everyone else clearing space with their hands in their pockets. I think Zo and BI can both attack the paint and either create for themselves or others late in the game. Both seem to play well off-the-ball too, so they can be used interchangeably, as decoys (at times), to draw the defense to the opposite side of the action (assuming their 3pt% is solid this year to make them legit threats from outside). Meanwhile, Randle/Nance/Zubac attack the glass and get ready for lobs or easy finishes, and Clarkson/Kuz cut or knock down open shots when the defense focuses on BI/Zo.

Lopez on the left block is the obvious goto place for a late or halfcourt bucket, but I guess because he's gone in year then don't really care too much. I hate when team politics gets in the way of what's functionally best. It was the same with Nance's depressed minutes.

Yea, I don't see them keeping Lopez long term with their plans for Lebron, PG, etc.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm really excited to see the script flip for Ingram this season. When he's known as a future star by the end of this season, our future is going to be looking bright.

I just randomly get excited about Ingram when thinking about the Lakers. Everyone is excited about Lonzo (and rightfully so) but Ingram is going to catch some attention this season

edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXorrZgD_Jm/?hl=en&taken-by=1ngram4

massive reach but I'd estimate that his arm is atleast 0.246928 inches bigger
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
I'm really excited to see the script flip for Ingram this season. When he's known as a future star by the end of this season, our future is going to be looking bright.

I just randomly get excited about Ingram when thinking about the Lakers. Everyone is excited about Lonzo (and rightfully so) but Ingram is going to catch some attention this season

edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXorrZgD_Jm/?hl=en&taken-by=1ngram4

massive reach but I'd estimate that his arm is atleast 0.246928 inches bigger

I don't think Durant's arms are much bigger than that - but he has more weight in his midsection, and Ingram has none. That's where you see the 190lbs vs 230lb discrepancy.. Crazy huh
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

We had already traded away one of our best young players in DLO to try to compete now. I feel like maybe we should have fully committed in that direction and traded Ingram and Deng(add zubac/randle/clarkson if needed) to the bulls for Butler. Butler is on a cheap contract and we could have still fit Lebron and PG next summer. It would probably be more attractive to PG and Lebron as well.

Obviously its too late now but would you guys have done it?

Lonzo
PG
Butler
Lebron
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Exactly. And Idk why everyone is assuming he'll all of the sudden be extraordinary at creating his own shot. That was one of his weaknesses last year and a pleasant surprise in the one SPL game. I hope he does get better at it but I wouldn't consider that a strong point until I see it consistently in games

Watched a couple of the practice videos and Ingram is going to be able to get his own shot not because he has amazing velocity and balance like Kobe but because he is just so crazy long. It's like watching dirk shooting over undersized power forwards. When it gets down to crunch time we will need that ISO ability.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He did when he took over. I never seriously considered it, most of what he has been saying publicly for years is BS. As for Ingram, he seems to be a basic iso player and as such could be the end of game player Pelinka has said he could be. Nice piece to have going forward.

Got a quote where he said this? I never remember him saying we were going to be much of anything in 2017. Seemels to me he had 2028 in his crosshairs from day one. Bron ALWAYS been Magic's play.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Got a quote where he said this? I never remember him saying we were going to be much of anything in 2017. Seemels to me he had 2028 in his crosshairs from day one. Bron ALWAYS been Magic's play.

Nvm
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

4 Young Players who could become NBA STARS

Ingram is 4th
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Godbe wrote:
We had already traded away one of our best young players in DLO to try to compete now. I feel like maybe we should have fully committed in that direction and traded Ingram and Deng(add zubac/randle/clarkson if needed) to the bulls for Butler. Butler is on a cheap contract and we could have still fit Lebron and PG next summer. It would probably be more attractive to PG and Lebron as well.

Obviously its too late now but would you guys have done it?

Lonzo
PG
Butler
Lebron

The 8% body fat rule and leadership talk makes me think it is not all about trying to win now, but clearing the house of players that don't match the culture and the level of talent we want to have going forward creating in the process the necessary flexibility to sign players good enough to help us to win games (something is clear the players we traded couldn't do, our record was the proof) when the opportunity raises.

Before Magic our only chance to compete was our young players becoming superstars. We traded just one young player with high potential while we drafted two others just this season and now we have money to sign superstars to help us while we develop our young players hopping they can also become superstars one day.

Above everything, Magic is trying to build a concise unit where players fit well with each other and with the style our coach is implementing.

I believe we have a few young players from the previous regime that still are going to be moved. Julius, possibly Clarkson and even Zubac if he doesn't adapt to Lonzo fast paced game.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Forward Brandon Ingram Poised To Reward L.A. For Their Patience

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-forward-brandon-ingram-poised-to-reward-l-a-for-their-patience/2017/08/22/
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I know we got Lopez and Zubac, but I would very much like to see Ingram play center in spurts. There are only a handful of dominant centers and most of them won't be able to defend Ingram on the perimeter. By playing Ingram at center, we can put Kuzma in the line-up with Ball.

We'd be replacing Lopez' three point shooting with Kuzma's and adding a lot more speed on the fast break.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
4 Young Players who could become NBA STARS

Ingram is 4th

JR is 2nd
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
I know we got Lopez and Zubac, but I would very much like to see Ingram play center in spurts. There are only a handful of dominant centers and most of them won't be able to defend Ingram on the perimeter. By playing Ingram at center, we can put Kuzma in the line-up with Ball.

We'd be replacing Lopez' three point shooting with Kuzma's and adding a lot more speed on the fast break.

Who would you want at the 3?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

Who would you want at the 3?

Lonzo. No 3 could defend him!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I mean I'm no coach but Ingram at the 3 sounds like a massacre in the paint. I mean why not play five 3 point shooting pg's?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 567 of 1885
Jump to: