OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
That's exactly what I want to hear, to be honest. The last thing I want is the guy losing his confidence and being afraid to shoot.

The problem is that he's taking the shots the defense wants him to and he's not going to be an efficient scorer this way.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Jason Tatum would look so good right now next to Lonzo. Think Boston would swap?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
That's exactly what I want to hear, to be honest. The last thing I want is the guy losing his confidence and being afraid to shoot.

So how many games in are we with his utter gunning? Maybe a change of strategy is more important. How about learning to run around a wall, or maybe find ways to climb it instead of trying to smash into it?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
What I don't like is the tone-deafness he has been exhibiting with regards to his scoring aspirations.

It's almost as if an entire organization and fanbase has filled his head with notions that he's something he's not.

If things don't change, this will be followed by:

-Watch him fail miserably at being something he's not
-Kill his confidence
-Trade him for much less than you could have gotten for him last year
-Watch him start to become the player he was actually meant to be somewhere else.

That'll be fun.

That's the Luke System™
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Meh. He can keep his confidence without forcing up frozen ropes and lead bricks on low efficiency ISO plays.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
He refuses to play to his strengths. Dirk is the player he should emulate. His bread and butter should be quick simple shots that he can always get off due to his length. Even if he doesnt make them, its fine. He is young, its a work in progress. But he should not be driving to the basket and penatrate. It is not his game, he doesnt have the speed for it. He is a slow footed player. It is what it is. But he is a very long player. He can get his shots off easily no matter who is guarding him. I definitely see him as a very good player down the line but hes gotta play to his strengths.

Pretty much spot on.

For Ingram to be great, he needs to follow the path of those that aren't the most athletic, the quickest, but have a clear advantage based off something very unique. We are talking Dirk, Curry, Reggie.

In his case, its his length as a perimeter player. He jumper should be almost impossible to contest. He needs to hone his perimeter skills as a jump shooter before even thinking about driving into the lane. If he can knock down shots from anywhere on the court and only drives when he has wide open lanes, he becomes a star.

I disagree. The reason his season turned around last year was because he started driving to the basket and getting easy lay-ups/dunks. That gave him the confidence he needed. Now, he's just relying on the same too much. He's got the length and an ok first step to get to the rim. He just needs to pick his spots. His biggest issue is confidence. He's sounding confident after the games about his shots, but you can tell from his body language that hes not. He needs some face time with Tony Robbins. But remember he's so tall and long that his shots are not really contested. He can get an open look virtually anytime ala Durant. He just needs to not give a feck and play smarter.

I lol'd

but seriously, he needs some 1 on 1 coaching from Kobe. I don't think he's lacking in confidence, in fact it seems he's overconfident--thinking he can do more than he is able to. Normally that is a good problem to have, and Kobe would do wonders in polishing his footwork, decision making, reads, creating angles, etc... Kobe is an encyclopedia when it comes to scoring, has BI taken advantage of him yet?
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
textbook wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
He refuses to play to his strengths. Dirk is the player he should emulate. His bread and butter should be quick simple shots that he can always get off due to his length. Even if he doesnt make them, its fine. He is young, its a work in progress. But he should not be driving to the basket and penatrate. It is not his game, he doesnt have the speed for it. He is a slow footed player. It is what it is. But he is a very long player. He can get his shots off easily no matter who is guarding him. I definitely see him as a very good player down the line but hes gotta play to his strengths.

Pretty much spot on.

For Ingram to be great, he needs to follow the path of those that aren't the most athletic, the quickest, but have a clear advantage based off something very unique. We are talking Dirk, Curry, Reggie.

In his case, its his length as a perimeter player. He jumper should be almost impossible to contest. He needs to hone his perimeter skills as a jump shooter before even thinking about driving into the lane. If he can knock down shots from anywhere on the court and only drives when he has wide open lanes, he becomes a star.

I disagree. The reason his season turned around last year was because he started driving to the basket and getting easy lay-ups/dunks. That gave him the confidence he needed. Now, he's just relying on the same too much. He's got the length and an ok first step to get to the rim. He just needs to pick his spots. His biggest issue is confidence. He's sounding confident after the games about his shots, but you can tell from his body language that hes not. He needs some face time with Tony Robbins. But remember he's so tall and long that his shots are not really contested. He can get an open look virtually anytime ala Durant. He just needs to not give a feck and play smarter.

I lol'd

but seriously, he needs some 1 on 1 coaching from Kobe. I don't think he's lacking in confidence, in fact it seems he's overconfident--thinking he can do more than he is able to. Normally that is a good problem to have, and Kobe would do wonders in polishing his footwork, decision making, reads, creating angles, etc... Kobe is an encyclopedia when it comes to scoring, has BI taken advantage of him yet?

Remember when overconfidence use to be a problem for a certain young PG, Byron Scott does.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

The shots he's taking are poorly conceived. But he's not the one conceiving them. This is who they want him to be, even though it's a terrible idea.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Username wrote:

The shots he's taking are poorly conceived. But he's not the one conceiving them. This is who they want him to be, even though it's a terrible idea.

Not all of them. They ran a couple of nice plays for him out of timeouts to come off a screen and get an open J. Lonzo set him up with a couple of nice looks that he passed up, presumably because the confidence wasn't there. I want him to have the confidence to hoist them up.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Username wrote:

Not all of them. They ran a couple of nice plays for him out of timeouts to come off a screen and get an open J. Lonzo set him up with a couple of nice looks that he passed up, presumably because the confidence wasn't there. I want him to have the confidence to hoist them up.

One if his issues is he's horrible off screens. Doesn't even know how to set his feet, and can't seem to stop and pop.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

What I liked about Lonzo was that even when his shots weren't going in, he competed on the glass and helped on DeAndre Jordan a lot. I was disappointed that Ingram didn't do that as well. If your shot isn't falling, do the other things to help the team. He had 4 assists, but would like to see him competing more defensively and on the glass. Brook/Nance aren't known as rebounders (though Brook boxes out well) so we need to rebound as a team.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

The worst thing that could have been done to him is magic saying he needs to average 20.

Now national media, Broussard, Skip, Windhorst, and Stephen A going in on him. Not great for a player who lacks confidence to begin with.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
The worst thing that could have been done to him is magic saying he needs to average 20.

Now national media, Broussard, Skip, Windhorst, and Stephen A going in on him. Not great for a player who lacks confidence to begin with.

Even without that he would still be getting killed. Magic did make it worse though.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball‏ @T1m_NBA 14m14 minutes ago
7 of Ingram's 20 possessions yesterday were in isolation

35% is far too high for anybody, let alone Ingram w/where he is now in development
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

The way he played last night was (bleep) awful and very hard to watch. I haven't seen a guy be a blackhole like that in years. It's crazy because BI actually has good court vision and can make nice passes as seen last season. For some reason he has been told or believes he should just go 1 on 1 every damn play. Is Jordan Clarkson personally training BI? Why is Luke and his staff not reeling him back in and telling him to play within the flow of the offense. This kid has way too much talent to be misdirected as a iso scorer. That's not his game.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

I am starting to think that his footwork is not fixable given his body type. Very hard for him to navigate in tight spaces.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

It's really simple guys..

Direct Lonzo to dominate in the post.. What might the result be?

Direct Lance to be a facilitator.. What might be the result?

Direct Randle to be Draymond.. Result?

Direct Lance to match up against centers that are longer and stronger. Result?

This isn't about the talent on our team. Though some moves are questionable.

No point in dumping on players when they're not put in an optimal position to be effective at what their current skill set will allow.

No need to over analyze Ingram, or what happened last night. It's clear we have a front office/coaching staff problem. On court play won't be rectified until that's fixed.

Wasn't a Russell fan but I knew he would be better served on another squad. I also think Randle would be better served being developed on another squad.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
unfortunately this isn't the Matrix where they tell BI, "you're not The ONE" but... he turns out the be The ONE.

BI... ain't The ONE... I wish he would stop trying to be that guy and start playing like Tayshaun Prince...

He's approaching the game like he's Kobe Bryant and producing like Coby Karl.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
It's really simple guys..

Direct Lonzo to dominate in the post.. What might the result be?

Direct Lance to be a facilitator.. What might be the result?

Direct Randle to be Draymond.. Result?

Direct Lance to match up against centers that are longer and stronger. Result?

This isn't about the talent on our team. Though some moves are questionable.

No point in dumping on players when they're not put in an optimal position to be effective at what their current skill set will allow.

No need to over analyze Ingram, or what happened last night. It's clear we have a front office/coaching staff problem. On court play won't be rectified until that's fixed.

Wasn't a Russell fan but I knew he would be better served on another squad. I also think Randle would be better served being developed on another squad.

Proper player development is severly lacking with this franchise and has been for a while
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
unfortunately this isn't the Matrix where they tell BI, "you're not The ONE" but... he turns out the be The ONE.

BI... ain't The ONE... I wish he would stop trying to be that guy and start playing like Tayshaun Prince...

He's approaching the game like he's Kobe Bryant and producing like Coby Karl.

He's simply following orders. "shrugs"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I question if this organization has the stomach to properly develop young players. The "pros" at doing this seem to embrace the challenge and pitfalls of it while we are constantly looking to go from bottom feeder to champions via FA. (even with Jim/Mitch and certainly now with Magic/Pelinka).
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with Ingram. He may still struggle for a while. But his game will come. He is playing a different role, taking up bigger responsibility this season. It's hard to a player at his age, especially with his physical build not fully ready yet. But he shows flashes. Besides, he is kind of player who read game well and could influence to influence game with his versatility. But he is asked to force 1-on-1. It's not his way to play game but he will get used to it sooner or later as the talents and physical tools are here.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
I'm fine with Ingram. He may still struggle for a while. But his game will come. He is playing a different role, taking up bigger responsibility this season. It's hard to a player at his age, especially with his physical build not fully ready yet. But he shows flashes. Besides, he is kind of player who read game well and could influence to influence game with his versatility. But he is asked to force 1-on-1. It's not his way to play game but he will get used to it sooner or later as the talents and physical tools are here.

He missed a lot of layups and open jumpers. I think he is tense. Hopefully he will relax a bit and those will start to go in.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I question if this organization has the stomach to properly develop young players. The "pros" at doing this seem to embrace the challenge and pitfalls of it while we are constantly looking to go from bottom feeder to champions via FA. (even with Jim/Mitch and certainly now with Magic/Pelinka).

They haven't proven they can do it.

We see what coach Pop turned an erratic Tony Paker into.. And another erratic player in Manu. Helped mold Tim into a generational talent. We see what Mark Jackson did for Steph, and Klay..

I've always been really optimistic with our young talent. I seriously doubt they'l develop into what they should be with the current coaching staff/front office. Hope I'm wrong though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I thought that DLO was developing nicely. I think Randle is improving, but not well developed at this point. Maybe that is just the nature of players getting more mature and gaining experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 673 of 1885
Jump to: