OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 682, 683, 684 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
And the other side of the pendulum. Remember he’s just a baby! Inconsistenty is a hallmark of young players.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, Ingram is the only one of our young players who gets this excuse when it comes to defense. And it makes my eyes roll to the back of my head. If people talked about how we're clearly not playing good defense as a team, I'd be fine with it. But at the end of the day, guys need to perform. He performed against the Suns Friday, so he gets credit for that. But as a second year player, the kid gloves need to at least be slightly removed and all your deficiencies can't be dismissed as as being a baby. Ingram isn't the first one and done player ever drafted.

Eh, I've been one of many saying exactly what you are saying. Ingram's been poor defensively.

That said, I think Ingram was actually a good part of that run tonight based on his defense at the guard spot. I really like it when we use Ingram on the primary ball handler. I actually thought it was a mistake by Luke to sub Ball in for him - once he did, they started getting better penetration on Ball. I would have subbed Ball in for Hart personally.

As for offense tonight, I think he played a fine game shot selection wise. There was one shot he took (a fade away) I thought he shouldn't have taken, but tonight he just missed. People need to know the difference between a miss and a bad shot. He missed a few layups, but they weren't the throw it up and see what happens variety.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Ingram needs to come off the bench. Magic big talked a player that clearly isn't ready yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Like Ingram a lot but remember the “I wouldn’t trade Ingram for Anthony Davis” discussions this summer?

So now we're going to revisit who we'd trade this guy or that guy for after they have a not so great performance?

No. There were folks arguing that Ingram was more valuable than the guy we just played against. Goes to show you Ingram has a ways to go. Say what you want about AD but he is consistent. (And injured too ).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
I'm not a mod.. But don't we have a thread for trades? Must you guys do this in the player thread whenever they have a not so great performance??

You seem to put on a "mod" tshirt for many threads.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Ingram can and should continue to start. He just needs to stop forcing the issue on offense. He should focus on making his open threes. His shot still looks horrible. But he does enough good things to complement the rest of the starters.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Start Kuz. Let’s not stunt his growth for this stiff

Last edited by KobeDunk on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Guys just simmer down on Ingram. His body isn't ready and that's probably why. He can get physical but he needs more time developing his body, he will be fine once he can bang and do all the things I'm sure he's capable of. I just wish he didn't let Magic get into his head.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
I'm not a mod.. But don't we have a thread for trades? Must you guys do this in the player thread whenever they have a not so great performance??

You seem to put on a "mod" tshirt for many threads.

Let's not start with the bullshet Yin.. Really let's not. My point was valid.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
And the other side of the pendulum. Remember he’s just a baby! Inconsistenty is a hallmark of young players.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, Ingram is the only one of our young players who gets this excuse when it comes to defense. And it makes my eyes roll to the back of my head. If people talked about how we're clearly not playing good defense as a team, I'd be fine with it. But at the end of the day, guys need to perform. He performed against the Suns Friday, so he gets credit for that. But as a second year player, the kid gloves need to at least be slightly removed and all your deficiencies can't be dismissed as as being a baby. Ingram isn't the first one and done player ever drafted.

Eh, I've been one of many saying exactly what you are saying. Ingram's been poor defensively.

That said, I think Ingram was actually a good part of that run tonight based on his defense at the guard spot. I really like it when we use Ingram on the primary ball handler. I actually thought it was a mistake by Luke to sub Ball in for him - once he did, they started getting better penetration on Ball. I would have subbed Ball in for Hart personally.

As for offense tonight, I think he played a fine game shot selection wise. There was one shot he took (a fade away) I thought he shouldn't have taken, but tonight he just missed. People need to know the difference between a miss and a bad shot. He missed a few layups, but they weren't the throw it up and see what happens variety.

You're not wrong, but I guess my bigger gripe (beyond Yinoma's post) was the overall acceptance of poor play from Ingram because he's a baby. Yes, young players play poorly and are inconsistent, but young players are also expected to show improvement. I'm not even saying that Ingram's career high game shouldn't be credited, but let's stop the babying. He's in his second year as a highly drafted professional basketball player, you aren't a baby anymore. You're in a grown man league where performance should matter, not automatically excused cause you're months younger than the guys you were drafted with.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You're not wrong, but I guess my bigger gripe (beyond Yinoma's post) was the overall acceptance of poor play from Ingram because he's a baby. Yes, young players play poorly and are inconsistent, but young players are also expected to show improvement. I'm not even saying that Ingram's career high game shouldn't be credited, but let's stop the babying. He's in his second year as a highly drafted professional basketball player, you aren't a baby anymore. You're in a grown man league where performance should matter, not automatically excused cause you're months younger than the guys you were drafted with.

Well if DLO was a barometer than we know how Magic feels about babying a high draft pick. Let's hope Ingram picks it up.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

We need to run the same kind of actions GSW runs to get KD and Klay open. If we're gonna give the dude the green light I rather it be off screens than him going ISO.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Played like a blackhole in the first half. Took some ugly shots. Was much more in control later in the game and defended well. It's a shame they are forcing him to be something else rather than let him react to what the defense is giving him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
We need to run the same kind of actions GSW runs to get KD and Klay open. If we're gonna give the dude the green light I rather it be off screens than him going ISO.

He is not a good shooter off screens. His footwork and stance are a mess off screens.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

He is not a good shooter off screens. His footwork and stance are a mess off screens.

Well he's not very good off the iso either. He's shooting a bunch of midrange shots. You rather him just ISO and pull-up? I rather it be off the screen so he can catch and shoot rather than him dribble so much. Or come off the screen and take a dribble or two and pull up. Just make things easier for him so he doesn't need to break down a defender one on one so much.

If he's gonna flourish off Lonzo he's gonna have to learn how to come off screens cause his ISO opportunities won't be many

Last edited by Lakesh0wtime on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

it's going to be a damned roller coaster this year, because his jumper is really hit and miss. I expect 15 20pt games, and even more super bad games.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
it's going to be a damned roller coaster this year, because his jumper is really hit and miss. I expect 15 20pt games, and even more super bad games.

Unfortunate cause it really doesn't have to be huge fluctuations in his production and impact. If he'd simply play within himself.

Last edited by SocalDevin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

He played his best tonight when he was on the floor (with Hart) as a fourth option behind Clarkson, Randle, and Kuzma.

When they went on that run he really only took one shot. He was on the floor as a floor spreader and defender, that's it.

Can he do more? Of course. But he needs to be eased in to a scoring role if there's any hope for him increasing his efficiency.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

It is sometimes hard to remember that he just 20 and just one month older than Lonzo.

Hopefully he gets his shot right because with that, he can still be an all-star.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

He actually had a good +/- tonight. Second behind Hart.

That is what I noticed a lot last year too, when he seemed to be playing smart. It's looked less graceful this year. I think it's because the style the starters are playing, Lonzo dominating most of the plays, isn't working well with him just waiting out on the wing.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Horrible 1st half like everyone.
Nice work during the comeback.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Just needs to let the game come to him instead of doing too much. Definitely an awful first half, but be settled in and better things happened for him and the team.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Just needs to let the game come to him instead of doing too much. Definitely an awful first half, but be settled in and better things happened for him and the team.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
He played his best tonight when he was on the floor (with Hart) as a fourth option behind Clarkson, Randle, and Kuzma.

It's almost like that's a more natural role at this point or something.
AutumnWind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Dude is trying to play like a number one when he's more of a number 3
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

It's almost like that's a more natural role at this point or something.

Lol who woulda thunk it!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 682, 683, 684 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 683 of 1885
Jump to: