OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 767, 768, 769 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I'm just naturally opposed to the "hard work" argument so I fight it every chance I get. Wasn't completely sure what you were specifically getting at, but yea I just took it there.
I'm just super convinced that the most important thing is *what* a player in working on. All questions and answers point to that, being the issue. So that's all I prefer to talk about...

Wasn't it MJ who said something like if you spend a bunch of time working hard at the wrong things, it will get you nowhere..?

I've always believed in the mantra, "work hard at working smart".

Quote:
Practice does not make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

If Ingram had Leonard's shooting coach, we might be on to something.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
mookielala wrote:
MJST wrote:
mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Smh.. These comments illustrate why I say those on the fence will stay there until Ingram is consistently good in all facets of the game.

Absolutely nothing will change that. He's only another bad game away from the "what is he even good at?" narrative resurfacing.

For those that are enjoying watching his growth, let's just continue to celebrate his successes and improvements.

Consistently good in all facets? How about consistently good in one first?

You just gave me exhibit A with your post.. He's not good at anything right?.. I don't think you can reason with someone who holds this position in regards to Ingram. There's no point in trying.

His play will have to change your mind. No amount of reasoning or debate will do that.

No, he isn't good at anything offensively from an objective standpoint.

Not to get too philosophical, but that is subjective statement based on your definition of "objective." Stats are facts, but the ones you focus on or their meaning, that is a subjective process.

Lonzo Ball is shooting better from mid than Ingram currently is.

I think that says enough.

I have no idea if that's true,

Lonzo's shooting 26% from mid, Ingram's shooting 25.5% from mid.

NBA.com has Lonzo at 23.5% from mid range. Ingram is at 39.2%.

Good job ignoring this answer to you pointing out how this was more accurate after you were the one that asked.

You pull a picture from an obscure website, do some of your own calculations ("divide by 2 etc") and ultimately come up with a result that differs significantly from the synergy data on NBA.com. Obviously, that doesn't pass the smell test. If you want to spew out stats that disagree with NBA.com, you have to prove that they are more reputable. Re-quoting yourself saying "divide by 2 etc" doesn't prove anything.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Mychael Thompson praised BI today. nice!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

The Lakers not having a dedicated shooting coach is (bleep) criminal.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

That is mind boggling.. Is there a justifiable reason as to why they wouldn't have one?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

That is mind boggling.. Is there a justifiable reason as to why they wouldn't have one?

I guess because Tracy Murray totally flopped? I feel like shooting is such a variable thing that it's hard to find an unknown shooting coach out in the wild. How many teams are known for their shooting coaches? All I've got are the Spurs and the Hawks (but I think that was Atkinson who's now in Brooklyn). So unless you poach a proven shooting coach (which is what I advocate, we're the (bleep) Lakers and can outbid anyone...), it might be hard to find a good one.

That's the most charitable explanation I can come up with.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I guess because Tracy Murray totally flopped? I feel like shooting is such a variable thing that it's hard to find an unknown shooting coach out in the wild. How many teams are known for their shooting coaches? All I've got are the Spurs and the Hawks (but I think that was Atkinson who's now in Brooklyn). So unless you poach a proven shooting coach (which is what I advocate, we're the (bleep) Lakers and can outbid anyone...), it might be hard to find a good one.

I don't know enough about coaching staffs and how they should be constructed to be critical and feel like I'm on solid footing. But I don't understand why that wouldn't be a priority.. Especially since everyone is saying the league is different now.. everyone needs to be able to shoot from distance, that includes 4s, and 5s.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I don't know enough about coaching staffs and how they should be constructed to be critical and feel like I'm on solid footing. But I don't understand why that wouldn't be a priority.. Especially since everyone is saying the league is different now.. everyone needs to be able to shoot from distance, that includes 4s, and 5s.

Yeah, I agree 100% with this.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Isn't Miles Simon their shooting coach? He flopped in the league but he was Jesus Walks in college. 😂

But I agree. Help this kid shoot better before he gets his shine somewhere else.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I really like Ingram's game. I really don't understand all the Lakers fan hate. The dude is 20. He's very gifted and his measurables are elite. He'll will probably never dribble or pass like Simmons (although holding his own), but he can be a premier scorer and defender someday. Don't know what everyone is expecting from him. He plays basketball at 20 better than most people can drink, cram for tests, slack off, and use recreational drugs at 20 years old. And many of us, including myself, were professionals at that. 😂
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I really like Ingram's game. I really don't understand all the Lakers fan hate. The dude is 20. He's very gifted and his measurables are elite. He'll will probably never dribble or pass like Simmons (although holding his own), but he can be a premier scorer and defender someday. Don't know what everyone is expecting from him. He plays basketball at 20 better than most people can drink, cram for tests, slack off, and use recreational drugs at 20 years old. And many of us, including myself, were professionals at that. 😂

Yuppp... not sure what people are expecting from B.I. He's shown improvement in every area across the board. If he shows the same type of improvement from year 2 to 3 as he did 1 to 2, he's going to be pushing 20/5/5 with good D and playing within the team concert look is trying to build
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Isn't Miles Simon their shooting coach? He flopped in the league but he was Jesus Walks in college. 😂

But I agree. Help this kid shoot better before he gets his shine somewhere else.

Simon is just another assistant, he isn't a dedicated shooting coach.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Getting the absolute best shooting coach(es) should be priority one for the FO. That is the worst part of our game.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Getting the absolute best shooting coach(es) should be priority one for the FO. That is the worst part of our game.

Probably best if BI finds his own private shooting coach or aligns himself with one of the assistant coaches that he believes in. Having too many cooks stirring the pot will only cause confusion as each have their own beliefs and principles. I quickly realized this with my two sons playing tennis and golf respectively.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Can you bring this topic up to Luke and the coaches as to why we don't have a dedicated shooting guru on this team? We're by far the worst shooting team in the league
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Gordon is shooting 47% from three right now. Mudiay is shooting 47.6% from three. Jaylen Brown is shooting 40% from three. None of these guys were good shooters coming out of college.

Meanwhile, Ingram isn't even comfortable shooting open threes. His shooting touch was one of his supposed strengths coming out of college. Cool.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Aaron Gordon is shooting 47% from three right now. Mudiay is shooting 47.6% from three. Jaylen Brown is shooting 40% from three. None of these guys were good shooters coming out of college.

Meanwhile, Ingram isn't even comfortable shooting open threes. His shooting touch was one of his supposed strengths coming out of college. Cool.

You can just as easily read that as reason for optimism, though. Given Smart and Peyton are so far still as bad shooters as they came in, it's clear that it's not necessarily just a team-specific thing in how well some prospects progress on their shooting. Hopefully BI is more Brown/Gordon than Smart/Payton.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

BTW, what did mudiay, brown and Gordon shoot their first and second years?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I think this must be some kind of rhetorical question lol. I know Mudiay was flat out terrible.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
epak wrote:

I think this must be some kind of rhetorical question lol. I know Mudiay was flat out terrible.

Mudiay was 31% his first two years
Gordon was 29% his first 3 years
Brown was 33% as a rookie I believe , it's his 2nd year now.

(It's also early in the season)
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Mudiay shot Lonzo lol
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dao wrote:

You can just as easily read that as reason for optimism, though. Given Smart and Peyton are so far still as bad shooters as they came in, it's clear that it's not necessarily just a team-specific thing in how well some prospects progress on their shooting. Hopefully BI is more Brown/Gordon than Smart/Payton.
good point. Ingram is still 20, so he still has plenty of time to become a good three point shooter. But he needs to show signs of progress. He's attempting fewer threes this year than he did last year. He's attempting 1.5 threes per game right now.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:

Cool stats, I’m still takin BI over all of them though.

BI’s all around game potential destroys all three of those players.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Hit the opposite side of the backboard lmao
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 767, 768, 769 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 768 of 1885
Jump to: