OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 821, 822, 823 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
I don't really understand the point of these posts.. We all know about his current flaws. He's far from being a finished product, I like many here are merely celebrating the improvements.

I think we can do that while acknowledging he still needs work, which is to be expected from a 20 year old prospect.

A 20 year old second year player isn't perfect in every single aspect of the game. Go figure
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Best midrange shooter in the league! - Magic Johnson
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Lol. Tough start. But hey at least he's aggressive and getting shots up.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
I don't really understand the point of these posts.. We all know about his current flaws. He's far from being a finished product, I like many here are merely celebrating the improvements.

I think we can do that while acknowledging he still needs work, which is to be expected from a 20 year old prospect.

A 20 year old second year player isn't perfect in every single aspect of the game. Go figure

Yeah, that's the problem. He's not perfect in every aspect of the game.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
“Right now, I’m mainly focused on doing the things I do well. Of course, there are some days where I’ll just go in and work on my jumper. I think my jumper has some catching up to do, but I feel comfortable with it. Sometimes, I’ll feel good in practice and it doesn’t translate to the game, so I just need to feel more comfortable going into games and be able to shoot it.”

This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.. I actually got annoyed reading it, and I'm really rooting for him to do well.

I don't understand why his shooting wouldn't be a priority during practice.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2017/12/12/los-angeles-lakers-brandon-ingram-still-needs-improve-jump-shot/

Team practice is to work on team things.
Individual shooting can be practiced before or after team practice, which you may have noticed are the type of drills you see players posting on social media.

No way in hell he should be comfortable with it.. It should be a priority.. I work on it some days?? That sounds stupid to me.. And I love Ingram.

His fg% will continue to decline as teams take away the one thing he's really good at. This should be apparent to him and the coaching staff. I'm not going to sugar coat it.. I think it's dumb to not make it a priority, every time he hits the gym to work on his game.

He said he spends some days working solely on his jumper and that it sometimes feels comfortable in practice but not in games. Not sure how to extrapolate that he feels comfortable with his jumper and isn't making it a priority. Team practice rarely involves enough jumper practice to make a difference. That is what players are expected to do before and after team practice. Coaches and trainers make themselves available to help.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Those tough starts will increase in frequency if he doesn't understand how important it is to focus on getting his shot together when he's in the gym.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Those tough starts will increase in frequency if he doesn't understand how important it is to focus on getting his shot together when he's in the gym.

Maybe he does maybe he doesn't - it's hard to read into Ingram quotes, he doesn't articulate his points very thoroughly at all
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
“Right now, I’m mainly focused on doing the things I do well. Of course, there are some days where I’ll just go in and work on my jumper. I think my jumper has some catching up to do, but I feel comfortable with it. Sometimes, I’ll feel good in practice and it doesn’t translate to the game, so I just need to feel more comfortable going into games and be able to shoot it.”

This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.. I actually got annoyed reading it, and I'm really rooting for him to do well.

I don't understand why his shooting wouldn't be a priority during practice.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2017/12/12/los-angeles-lakers-brandon-ingram-still-needs-improve-jump-shot/

Team practice is to work on team things.
Individual shooting can be practiced before or after team practice, which you may have noticed are the type of drills you see players posting on social media.

No way in hell he should be comfortable with it.. It should be a priority.. I work on it some days?? That sounds stupid to me.. And I love Ingram.

His fg% will continue to decline as teams take away the one thing he's really good at. This should be apparent to him and the coaching staff. I'm not going to sugar coat it.. I think it's dumb to not make it a priority, every time he hits the gym to work on his game.

He said he spends some days working solely on his jumper and that it sometimes feels comfortable in practice but not in games. Not sure how to extrapolate that he feels comfortable with his jumper and isn't making it a priority. Team practice rarely involves enough jumper practice to make a difference. That is what players are expected to do before and after team practice. Coaches and trainers make themselves available to help.

You're missing my point.. I don't really care if it's during practice or his own time. He needs to make it a priority..

“Right now, I’m mainly focused on doing the things I do well" That doesn't sound like he's making it a priority.

He needs to be focused on the things he doesn't do well.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

There's a good chance he was alluding to game action/ overall positive mentality - when he said he's focusing on what he's does well
Again it's just hard to know because he doesn't articulate himself clearly
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Once teams start scouting for that "one thing he does well", which is already happening, he's gonna wish he'd worked more on that jumper.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

That's a possibility.. and I could be wrong. But that's not how I interpret what he said..
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Once teams start scouting for that "one thing he does well", which is already happening, he's gonna wish he'd worked more on that jumper.

I mean that's just so obvious.. Which is why I was so annoyed with his quote.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I underestimated how often he can make that dumpoff pass, especially with his long ass arms right... that old Kobe to Shaq dumpoff
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

See what giving BI props does?
He throws a stinker in the first half
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
See what giving BI props does?
He throws a stinker in the first half

And long as those dump-off passes clicked in his head as being open - then it was a productive half for his development
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Yea was nice to see more dump offs in traffic. Lonzo seems to be the only guy willing to pass off the drive with regularity. Ingram doing more of it will help the team.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I wasn't responding to you.

I'm we aware of his flaws. And have on many (the post just prior) commented just as much. But yes, you have a bias against at BI. You can't even let the kid have a great game winner without finding only the flaws. Yet Dlo goes to Bkn and plays a brand of basketball that lead to their fans to sour on him in the first month despite his gaudy numbers and you're still clamouring over how he would be the miracle working savior of this team. I tell you of how his advanced numbers were pretty poor also, and you say "well comparable to age and position", even though they're the same age. Do you really want me to go find all of the I stances Dlo did the EXACT same things you complain about BI doing in your two pointless videos above?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Ingram struggling once teams take the middle away. This game thus far has been a blueprint on how to stop Ingram. If/when other teams start scouting/blueprinting him this way, his numbers and efficiency are going to start dropping till he fixes that jumper.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Same thing I said MJST.. And that's why his quote was so stupid. Maybe it'll take a few more horrendous shooting performances for him and the coaching staff to prioritize shooting for him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Same thing I said MJST.. And that's why his quote was so stupid. Maybe it'll take a few more horrendous shooting performances for him and the coaching staff to prioritize shooting for him.

There was a time this season where Ingram was shooting worse from mid than Lonzo was.

This is one of the reasons his "Well I just wanna focus on what I do well, and sometimes I work on the jumper"

It sounds like he thinks he'll be fine without his jumper like it comes secondary.

Pretty sure if any other prospect we had said this about their jumper then all hell would be breaking loose.

Ingram needs to work on the stuff he doesn't do well. His finishing ability is already at a high rate, and strength will just increase that and strength is the easiest thing to add.

The jumper takes a bit more time, so it seems evident what Ingram's actually been working on and once teams scout that he only does one thing well, he'll wish he'd never said that and wish he had his jumper.

That statement also is gonna make teams that pay attention play him just like the Knicks are now.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I'm we aware of his flaws. And have on many (the post just prior) commented just as much. But yes, you have a bias against at BI. You can't even let the kid have a great game winner without finding only the flaws. Yet Dlo goes to Bkn and plays a brand of basketball that lead to their fans to sour on him in the first month despite his gaudy numbers and you're still clamouring over how he would be the miracle working savior of this team. I tell you of how his advanced numbers were pretty poor also, and you say "well comparable to age and position", even though they're the same age. Do you really want me to go find all of the I stances Dlo did the EXACT same things you complain about BI doing in your two pointless videos above?

1) You're bringing Russell up, not me, as though I see everything Ingram does through that lens. I don't.

2) Lol at BKN fans souring on Russell. By and large, they love him.

3) I don't think Russell would be the miracle working savior of this team. I think he'd be another good, young player, and has the ability to score in ways that the starting lineup is lacking.

4) Russell's analytics at the same age were better than Ingram's, period. When contextualized for their position, the gap grows even larger.

5) Ingram's shot creation isn't remotely close to what Russell's was, and that's reflected in the data. That's the irony of all of this. He's the 405th best player in the NBA by RPM and a -2.4 BPM guy (replacement level is -2.0), but I'm biased one for thinking he hasn't been that good and you guys are definitely not the biased ones in the opposite direction, even though you're the ones contradicting what the data says while I am not.

You should probably get over the D'Angelo Russell trade, no one else is bringing him up.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

1) You're bringing Russell up, not me, as though I see everything Ingram does through that lens. I don't.

2) Lol at BKN fans souring on Russell. By and large, they love him.

3) I don't think Russell would be the miracle working savior of this team. I think he'd be another good, young player, and has the ability to score in ways that the starting lineup is lacking.

4) Russell's analytics at the same age were better than Ingram's, period. When contextualized for their position, the gap grows even larger.

5) Ingram's shot creation isn't remotely close to what Russell's was, and that's reflected in the data. That's the irony of all of this. He's the 405th best player in the NBA by RPM and a -2.4 BPM guy (replacement level is -2.0), but I'm biased one for thinking he hasn't been that good and you guys are definitely not the biased ones in the opposite direction, even though you're the ones contradicting what the data says while I am not.

You should probably get over the D'Angelo Russell trade, no one else is bringing him up.

Who does "you guys" consist of?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

There was a time this season where Ingram was shooting worse from mid than Lonzo was.

This is one of the reasons his "Well I just wanna focus on what I do well, and sometimes I work on the jumper"

It sounds like he thinks he'll be fine without his jumper like it comes secondary.

Pretty sure if any other prospect we had said this about their jumper then all hell would be breaking loose.

Ingram needs to work on the stuff he doesn't do well. His finishing ability is already at a high rate, and strength will just increase that and strength is the easiest thing to add.

The jumper takes a bit more time, so it seems evident what Ingram's actually been working on and once teams scout that he only does one thing well, he'll wish he'd never said that and wish he had his jumper.

That statement also is gonna make teams that pay attention play him just like the Knicks are now.

Agreed.. though I think teams were already making the adjustment even before this game.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ingram struggling once teams take the middle away. This game thus far has been a blueprint on how to stop Ingram. If/when other teams start scouting/blueprinting him this way, his numbers and efficiency are going to start dropping till he fixes that jumper.

We'll see. If they haven't figured it out at this point I'm trying to figure out why it would start just now. 20+ games is an awfully long time to take to figure out the obvious.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Him struggling to finish really isn't a death sentence to his effectiveness, if he dumps off the ball on super contested meetings at the rim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 821, 822, 823 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 822 of 1885
Jump to: