OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 832, 833, 834 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

We don't know how much he's been working on his off the dribble jumper.. Players with "great work ethic" don't have their only gym session of the day be practice. you'd hope he was doing them in his individual gym sessions all year.
and in his quote he said "sometimes I only work on my jumper" . So you could infer he always works on his jumper, but sometimes, he works on it and nothing else.

Trying to infer what players work on and don't work on at all - from their quotes ,snapchats, even public practices --- it's not possible. We don't know what these guys do with 22hours of their day. It's cute to assume we have an eye on their development... but we don't, we're not on the team
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

The majority of what he was seen working on, was his spot up jumper. That was after practice and otherwise.

The stats back that up as well, as his spot ups were actually an improvement this year.

However, his balance, his footwork, his shots off the dribble were as bad as they'd ever been, so obviously he wasn't putting that kind of work into them.

Today was the first day GT had seen him work on jumpers that weren't spot ups after practice.

Now does that mean that he never worked on his off the dribble shots? No. But considering what we've seen from his practice and what's translated into games, he wasn't working on his off the dribble jumper very much.

Considering how off his form and footwork was on them, and the fact he is seeming to prioritize them now, we can draw that conclusion from it.

If he'd worked on that off the dribble shot all summer, he'd have been able to use it as a counter to teams guarding him the way the Knicks did, but we're 20+ games into the season and he still wasn't confident in it to start taking it nor did he have it in his repertoire as a counter.

Considering how hard of a worker Ingram is, I'm fairly certain if he had spent that much time on his off the dribble shot in the off-season, his footwork would have looked a lot better, the shot would have been more consistent, and it would have showed the kind of improvement his spot ups showed.

It didn't.

Does it prove it without a shadow of a doubt? Nope. But considering the evidence, what we have to go on, and how after the Knicks game he's started prioritizing working on it, it's a safe assumption to make.

I called out at the beginning of the season that spot ups was where he'd improve because that was all I'd seen him working on. Thus at the start of the season, spot ups were better, off the dribble was still terrible.

NOW after the Knicks game he's working more, or rather prioritizing his spot up and off high screen and shot situations. This is a very good thing.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

He's shot a lot of the pull-up J this year. Not as much as he should.. but multiple games he's shot 3+ pull-ups. We have no idea what these guys work on in the 22hours the media doesn't see them. Lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_QyADgqH0 Here he's working on his turnaround, a shot he was much less likely to shoot than a pull-up... but he's still working on it.. because professional players work on every shot they're gunna get.

To say, he works hard, so you assume he'd have his mechanics on it down pat, if he was working on it ---- that's a false assumption! Randle shot hundreds of 3s a day and still can't shoot with funky mechanics. Ingram still was a 31% 3pt shooter before last game. Work does not = improvement, the right work does.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

It is probably fair to say that him working on it, is more of a priority now.. with him doing so at the practice we get to see. But to assume he wasn't working on it, that's ridiculous.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Guys... He's working on it now.. no point in debating about what we think he might have been doing. What's important is he recognizes where his deficiencies are and is taking the necessary steps to rectify it.

Either of you could be right.. but it doesn't really matter. I think we can all just be happy that he's working hard at developing counters, and expanding his offensive tool set.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I can determine with 99.7 percent accuracy what your 40-Yard Dash time is based on your strength-to-weight ratio," declares Ryan Flaherty, CEO of Prolific Athletes (Carlsbad, California) and trainer to elite athletes such as Marcus Mariota and Russell Wilson.

http://www.stack.com/a/how-your-deadlift-max-will-make-you-faster

Can't wait til he's 23
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

Remember when people were dogging for Magic for saying BI will be a 20+per game scorer? I believe he will eclipse this next season.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Per GT

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/942130599292051457

Already posted video of him working on that earlier in the week. After the Knicks game

yep that Knicks game was definitely a humbling experience that made him start taking his jumper a bit more seriously

He has taken the jumper serious all year, and has had several games like this.

Ingram's jumper has been horrible all year. We've already been over this in his thread a dozen times and stats were brought in to show just how off it was.

Then in an interview prior to the Knicks game he himself said that he was instead focusing on stuff he did well and "sometimes' worked on his jumper.

After getting shut down in the Knicks game, he started making working on his jumper off the dribble a priority, and today was the first day GT saw Ingram work on his jumper off the dribble and off high screen and roll, when he usually would just work on it in spot ups.

Keep in mind as well that the place where Ingram's jumper had improved this year was in spot ups, but he was still a mess with off the dribble shots and still had shotty footwork on those kind of shots whenever he couldn't square himself.

So yes. The results are consistent.

The Knicks game did indeed cause Ingram to start taking priority in his off the dribble shooting. It's about time too.

You're trying to misconstrue words now. He said there were days where he would ONLY work on his jumper. Don't try and act he only works on his jumper occasionally. Yes his jumper has been bad, just as I said. But he HAS had other games just like this one in regards to his jumper. This isn't an isolated incident. What made this game so good wasn't just him taking jumpers, it was the fact he wasn't hesitant from deep, he was driving this collapsing the D and hitting open guys, while also not dominating the ball. He was seeing the open lanes and made hard cuts. Fact is, your trying to make changes to facts to fit your argument as you often do.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

gonna be lotsa fun watching B do his thing as he grows...
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Remember when people were dogging for Magic for saying BI will be a 20+per game scorer? I believe he will eclipse this next season.

He said BI would score 20ppg this season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Brandon Ingram on filling Kobe Bryant’s shoes: “I know I’m gonna be something special.” #Lakers
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:

I think the point is it wasn't such an absurd thing to say after all, in light of how he's been playing as of late.

Initially it probably contributed to Ingram forcing things his first few games.

Not saying I think he'll get there this season, but might get to 17 or 18PPG.

I'd be more impressed with 6 APG and 6 RPG. With 1 block and 1 steel.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:

Only 3.8 ppg away from being a disappointment

Would it be safer to bet on him hitting 4 more free throws or hitting one more 3 per game?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Brandon Ingram on filling Kobe Bryant’s shoes: “I know I’m gonna be something special.” #Lakers

This is why I always push back at those who say "Ingram is a number 2 or 3 guy.. "Ingram will be a good player that makes a few all star appearances"..

That's not who he is, nor will he be satisfied with being any of those things.. his mentality won't allow it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

MPG by Month

October: 31.7
November: 34.8
December: 36.6

He may well get to that 20ppg mark by February or March after all. In 42mpg.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MPG by Month

Cute..
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

If he's that fit that he can play so many minutes and not foul out, more power to him... most guys can't handle it.

He's finishing games strong too.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
If he's that fit that he can play so many minutes and not foul out, more power to him... most guys can't handle it.

I agree.. hard to believe one would even attempt to construct a narrative around a players minutes per game. smh
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
MPG by Month

I think this is Ingram’s own doing tbh. For example, the Cleveland game was a good example...doing well, flow of the game...then in the 4th he just gets passive and hangs out. It’s kind of what happens with Lonzo too. Lonzo kills it in the 3rd quarter at MSG but then he hangs back 4th.

Imo Ingram being able to crack 20 ppg and consistently score say 22-26 ppg as his career progresses will depend on a) his 3 point shooting and b) his free throw shooting.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I agree.. hard to believe one would even attempt to construct a narrative around a players minutes per game. smh

What's the narrative? That guys score more when they play more minutes? That's as obvious of a point as can be.

Ingram plays 31.7 mpg in October, averages 14.4 ppg (50.3 TS%)
Ingram plays 34.8 mpg in November, averages 16.3 ppg (53.7 TS%)
Ingram plays 36.6 mpg in December, averages 18.0 ppg (49.4 TS%)

I don't understand why this bothers you so much.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:

Only 3.8 ppg away from being a disappointment

Would it be safer to bet on him hitting 4 more free throws or hitting one more 3 per game?

I'm not debating that.

My point is: Magic didn't say what OP said and he was not bashed for it. I believe few doubted BI would be a 20+ ppg player eventually. I don't think he will make it this season, but he will be above the 15ppg I had for him before season. And, if he does, great!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm okay with all the BI arguments on LG now. It's basically people saying he'll be very good, super good, or great someday. I can live with all those scenarios, although I know we are all hoping for great.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'm okay with all the BI arguments on LG now. It's basically people saying he'll be very good, super good, or great someday. I can live with all those scenarios, although I know we are all hoping for great.

Let’s root him there.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

What's the narrative? That guys score more when they play more minutes? That's as obvious of a point as can be.

Well it's silly to me for obvious reasons.. A players ability to score is more of a product of that players skill level not the minutes they're playing. You could have given him the same amount of minutes last season and seen different results. Or any other player for that matter. You score with skill, not minutes. The minutes give said player an opportunity, the skill is what produces the numbers.

So yea, it's pretty silly.. but you can keep believing that if you want.

And it's not a matter of it bothering me so much.. Most of the posters in here didn't agree with you when you posted this before, including other mods.. =)
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Well it's silly to me for obvious reasons.. A players ability to score is more of a product of that players skill level not the minutes they're playing. You could have given him the same amount of minutes last season and seen different results. Or any other player for that matter. You score with skill, not minutes. The minutes give said player an opportunity, the skill is what produces the numbers.

So yea, it's pretty silly.. but you can keep believing that if you want.

And it's not a matter of it bothering me so much.. Most of the posters in here didn't agree with you when you posted this before, including other mods.. =)

Most of the posters here don't agree that if you give the same guy more minutes, he'd score more points? You sure about that? His PPG went up as his minutes went up last year too.

This is a Top 5 "weirdest disagreement" I've ever had on LG.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 832, 833, 834 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 833 of 1885
Jump to: