OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 960, 961, 962 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
al242 wrote:

+30lbs onto his slender frame.

I don’t think Ingram should try to put on any weight. It would hurt his slashing ability imo. I feel like the best part of his game is being able to get through tight spaces and lower his shoulder to create space. If he gained 30 pounds the refs my start calling that differently like they Julius.

BI needs to do whatever KD did to put on weight and strength (and pass steroid testing) without hurting his shot or mobility.

I've wondered about this. Do you think NBA athletes use performance enhancers that are banned in other sports? We never hear about it in the NBA, but it sounds like business as usual in other sports.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:

I've wondered about this. Do you think NBA athletes use performance enhancers that are banned in other sports? We never hear about it in the NBA, but it sounds like business as usual in other sports.

I've known people in pro baseball and pro MMA. It's pretty widespread in both (although they've gotten much tougher with testing in MMA in recent years). Wouldn't be surprised if it's widespread in all big money sports.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

It would serve Ingram very well to actually make good on his "working with Kobe" statement this off-season actually.

Working on his footwork with Kobe would do wonders for his game and is one of the weaknesses in it.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759745-ranking-the-nbas-10-most-promising-stars-in-the-making

Ranking the NBA's 10 Most Promising Stars..

Ball ranked 10, Ingram ranked 4.. Odd that Kuz didn't make the list, but at the end of the day it's an opinion piece.

I'm surprised they ranked him about Booker, since Devin usually gets much more love from the national media than Brandon does.

I was surprised by that as well, and him being ranked higher than Tatum. Though I believe he should be.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
It would serve Ingram very well to actually make good on his "working with Kobe" statement this off-season actually.

Working on his footwork with Kobe would do wonders for his game and is one of the weaknesses in it.

I love how you always seem to know what these guys do in the off-season. Not to mention it was never Ingram who said he was going to work with Kobe in the offseason, it was Luke who said he would like to get Ingram and Kobe together. Do you realize how hard it probably is for Kobe to find the time to get with Brandon. After year one it probably was better suited for Brandon to work on his game individually on all the different things instead of spending one week or one afternoon with Kobe hearing about how to study video etc etc which Kobe already did for him during last All-Star break. Because that's what usually happens when guys go and work with Kobe, he doesn't work on their actual games with them he works on teaching them how to study video and how to work on their games on their own he doesn't actually get out there showing them footwork and such
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

He should take less mid range shots.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram's Improvement in FG%, by Distance

0-3 Feet.............+6.0% (66.7% this season)
3-10 Feet............-6.1% (21.0% this season)
10-16 Feet.........+1.7% (34.7% this season)
16 Feet to 3PT....+0.2% (39.6% this season)
3PT...................+8.6% (38.0% this season)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I love how you always seem to know what these guys do in the off-season. Not to mention it was never Ingram who said he was going to work with Kobe in the offseason, it was Luke who said he would like to get Ingram and Kobe together. Do you realize how hard it probably is for Kobe to find the time to get with Brandon. After year one it probably was better suited for Brandon to work on his game individually on all the different things instead of spending one week or one afternoon with Kobe hearing about how to study video etc etc which Kobe already did for him during last All-Star break. Because that's what usually happens when guys go and work with Kobe, he doesn't work on their actual games with them he works on teaching them how to study video and how to work on their games on their own he doesn't actually get out there showing them footwork and such

I love how he adds subtle insults in there. BI is a liar and has many weaknesses. MJST, how much does Mintz pay for these write-ups?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

Especially the 3-10' range according to the stats GT posted. Yikes.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I love how he adds subtle insults in there. BI is a liar and has many weaknesses. MJST, how much does Mintz pay for these write-ups?

Just going on one interview earlier in the season, I got the impression Kobe was a lot more interested in Kuzma than Ingram. I don't think any young Laker would turn down an opportunity to work with Kobe. Hopefully, we'll hear more about this in the summer.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

He's really been clunking those a lot more lately too.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

That's a tough spot to score from. To put it in perspective, Giannis shoots 37.6% from that range, and few guys break 40% from there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

That's a tough spot to score from. To put it in perspective, Giannis shoots 37.6% from that range, and few guys break 40% from there.

Interesting that he's improved in all other ranges but declined in this one.
3 point % is really nice.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

I think the areas where he's improved to a noticeable degree are at the basket and behind the arc. The other two mid range shots are such small improvements - and more importantly, so far away from being even an average shot in terms of of efficiency - that it doesn't matter much.

48.9% of his shot attempts are coming from beyond 3 feet or before the 3PT line. That's up from 45.0% last year and it's way too much.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Kobe is Hollywood good luck finding him and time to workout with him. He's busy with his new love
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Kobe's got time for Gordon Hayward but not Ingram?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Or maybe he should take more so he can get better at them? I always wonder if developing a young player sometimes means purposely forcing them to do things that aren't great in a real game situations so that they can get better. I mean, if your confident you are keeping the player, know what they are capable of and don't care what the outside world thinks of them in the moment, wouldn't you force that player to work on the parts of his game that he isn't good at? Wouldn't the best place to do that at be in actual games, especially if you don't care about wins/losses yet?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Or maybe he should take more so he can get better at them? I always wonder if developing a young player sometimes means purposely forcing them to do things that aren't great in a real game situations so that they can get better. I mean, if your confident you are keeping the player, know what they are capable of and don't care what the outside world thinks of them in the moment, wouldn't you force that player to work on the parts of his game that he isn't good at? Wouldn't the best place to do that at be in actual games, especially if you don't care about wins/losses yet?

Or you can fine-tune your strengths and play to what makes you more efficient. The league as a whole isn't great at the 3-10' range. Brandon should focus on making his strengths elite, rather than becoming average at something that's not very efficient in the first place. After he's elite in his key areas then he can expand.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Or you can fine-tune your strengths and play to what makes you more efficient. The league as a whole isn't great at the 3-10' range. Brandon should focus on making his strengths elite, rather than becoming average at something that's not very efficient in the first place. After he's elite in his key areas then he can expand.

The league also isn't very good at defending it either though. So if Brandon we're to become deadly efficient at this play(not saying he will) but IF that becomes bread and butter, he's going to be a bad dude to stop.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I'd like Brandon to focus on his all around game and every aspect of his game while the games don't matter. Fine tune what works and what you know will get you success once you no longer have the luxury of experimenting in real games (saving the rest of the work for the offseason).

Imagine saying I wish Kobe didn't work on so and so... if we want BI to be a superstar, we have to expect that he will work like a superstar, and that means getting better at every aspect of the game. Still, I get that one should build a foundation. I believe he has done that with his dribble/drive game and his revised stroke - I think he's still refining and focusing on the things that will make him good, while also, at times, working on those things he still struggles with. Given how well he is developing, I think we would be hard pressed to criticize his approach thus far. In BI I trust.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
The league also isn't very good at defending it either though. So if Brandon we're to become deadly efficient at this play(not saying he will) but IF that becomes bread and butter, he's going to be a bad dude to stop.

The league seems pretty good at defending it considering how the vast majority of players shoot well under 40% from there and it only counts for 2 points.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

The league seems pretty good at defending it considering how the vast majority of players shoot well under 40% from there and it only counts for 2 points.

I agree with GT here. His bread and butter should be the 3pt game and the drive game. That said, where I think GT and I disagree is the approach to development. As long as its not BI's focus, I don't mind him tangentially working on his mid range game. I think having that is important sometimes to keep the D honest and, thus, to then open up what you really want to do (shoot 3s or get to the rim).

With young players though, its easy to look at what they are doing in games, try to read the tea leave/smoke signals and project based on what we see. My hope though is that where BI struggles, its because him and the coaching staff have recognized a deficit that they want him to work on rather than forcing BI to try to be a player who emphasizes those things which either he isn't good at and/or which leads to inefficient basketball.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
55 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:
55 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

I think the areas where he's improved to a noticeable degree are at the basket and behind the arc. The other two mid range shots are such small improvements - and more importantly, so far away from being even an average shot in terms of of efficiency - that it doesn't matter much.

48.9% of his shot attempts are coming from beyond 3 feet or before the 3PT line. That's up from 45.0% last year and it's way too much.

I think it's due to him learning how to pull up just inside the FT line on his drives instead of taking it all the way and get blocked. That's where I'd guess those extra attempts are coming from. I know it's not a great % range for most players, but if he can improve on that to a high enough % it would help his game tremendously.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I think it may be a fair point to say he has increased his midrange attempts in order to cope for the fact that his drive game is being better game planned for once he showed he could consistently get to and finish at the rim in the early part of this season.

Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind pulling up from midrange when it's a reaction to the defensive help in the paint.

But seems like he's constantly trying to get to the midrange to take Shots. It shouldn't be a primary offensive option for him. Just part of his arsenal or weapons
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 960, 961, 962 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 961 of 1885
Jump to: