OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Tayshaun never came close to locking Kobe up.. he was a good defender yes, but he wasn't locking anyone up.

He had Ben Wallace, and Rasheed Wallace behind him anytime he would get beat off the dribble. Which led to opposing offensive players, namely Kobe being reluctant to drive.. which meant Prince could pressure Kobe on the perimeter.

Ingram already being better than Prince is an argument that can be made.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Tay was a nice player, but I don't think aside from similar body types, they are the same type of player.

Tay made his living on defense. Wasn't much of a scorer.

BI is already a playmaker and scorer, but his defense lags way behind Tay.

Totally different archetypes of players.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Tayshaun never came close to locking Kobe up.. he was a good defender yes, but he wasn't locking anyone up.

He had Ben Wallace, and Rasheed Wallace behind him anytime he would get beat off the dribble. Which led to opposing offensive players, namely Kobe being reluctant to drive.. which meant Prince could pressure Kobe on the perimeter.

On offense, yes. On defense, no argument yet. Tayshaun did have Sheed and Ben behind him but he could also move very well and he had long arms that really did give Kobe fits.

Ingram has the tools to be just as good a defender though. Tayshaun was not the best athlete but he was solid in moving his feet laterally and worked his ass off on that end. If Ingram can focus on good man-to-man fundamentals, work the angles, he can be just as good a defender at some point. Maybe next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BI may not be a HOFer for all we know, but he is certainly nowhere near a bust.

Yes, there is a good chance he lands in the vast middle of the two. Even if he does turn out to be Prince that puts him closer to the HOF than a bust.

He's already better than Tayshaun.

That is such a ridiculous statement it barely deserves a reply. Might as well post that you have no idea who Tayshaun Prince is. Because Ingram is nowhere close to a Finals, all defensive and Team USA player.

I don't think many of todays posters we're around for the early 2000's pistons and saw how good Tayshaun was in his day. He could lock up Kobe at times (well not by himself but still).

Probably right if people think that comparison is an insult
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

On offense, yes. On defense, no argument yet. Tayshaun did have Sheed and Ben behind him but he could also move very well and he had long arms that really did give Kobe fits.

Ingram has the tools to be just as good a defender though. Tayshaun was not the best athlete but he was solid in moving his feet laterally and worked his ass off on that end. If Ingram can focus on good man-to-man fundamentals, work the angles, he can be just as good a defender at some point. Maybe next season.

I strongly disagree, Prince would have gotten abused just like everyone else that tried to guard Kobe if he didn't have Ben and Sheed behind him. It allowed him to pressure Kobe, I remember clearly watching Kobe settle for mid range pull ups instead of going around Prince when the drive was available.

Prince didn't give Kobe fits.. collectively the Pistons gave him fits.

Don't remember hearing too much about Prince once that team was broken up. There's a reason why.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
pokoy wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I strongly disagree, Prince would have gotten abused just like everyone else that tried to guard Kobe if he didn't have Ben and Sheed behind him. It allowed him to pressure Kobe, I remember clearly watching Kobe settle for mid range pull ups instead of going around Prince when the drive was available.

Don't remember hearing too much about Prince once that team was broken up. There's a reason why.

+ Finals MVP Billups
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
pokoy wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Okay I'm not going to argue levels, because Kobe practically destroyed everyone who guarded him one-on-one, even teams with good team defenses. I'll say Tayshaun was one of the guys who Kobe couldn't destroy without working harder than usual. Length + good footwork usually means you're going to bother a lot of people, and if you're guarding a hall of fame caliber guard, that guard is going to work harder than usual when going up against you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Ingram's not Tayshaun. It's like some of you don't even watch our guys play and just go off of body type only. They don't play alike. Ingram is going to far and away surpass Prince's best season this year.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Ingram's not Tayshaun. It's like some of you don't even watch our guys play and just go off of body type only. They don't play alike. Ingram is going to far and away surpass Prince's best season this year.

I think it's more that people don't remember Tayshaun Prince. Great defender, but from what I remember he was pretty terrible on offense. Hence, not a great comparison to Ingram.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

I agree that their games are completely different.. with that being said he wasn't a liability on offense. He had a back to the basket game and could make open 3's.

All I was trying to say is he's not as good as some are making him out to be, but he was a darn good role player.

Only guys I've seen bother Kobe one on one was Kirilenko, J. Kidd, Tony Allan, and Ron Artest.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

I think it's more that people don't remember Tayshaun Prince. Great defender, but from what I remember he was pretty terrible on offense. Hence, not a great comparison to Ingram.

Horrible looking shot that went in for a couple of years but that's about it.

#BannersOverBillboards
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

BI averaged 16 points a game last year. That would’ve been a career high for Prince. Paul George would’ve been a Laker last year if the Lakers had been willing to surrender BI to Indiana. Kawhi would be a Laker RIGHT NOW if they were offering BI. I don’t think Prince ever could’ve been the centerpiece of a trade for a player of George’s caliber, let alone Leonard’s.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
pokoy wrote:
You don’t make the jump BI makes from year 1 to year 2 without putting in the work. Period. You don’t just improve because you’ve played before. See: Ivica Zubac last season.

Putting in the work and being the hardest worker on the team are very different things. I’d like to see him build up his body more before I anoint him with that title. I’d guess Hart is the hardest worker based off of overall improvement both skill wise and physically but that’s just a guess, just like it is when people say that about Ingram.

Some people have body types genetically predisposed to have more muscle mass. If you ever played any type of sports or have been an athlete at any point in your life, you would actually know this.

Goldenthroat was actually in the Lakers practice facility on TV, so I'll take my bets with him saying he's one of the hardest workers as he is privy to much more first hand knowledge and other people's accounts than you or I.

Wasn’t saying Hart is the hardest working strictly because he’s the biggest. It’s a combination of many things and I acknowledged it was a guess. Reading comprehension is a valuable skill.

Many people have said player xyz were hard workers. I choose to not trust those quotes unless I see proof (improvement of skill set, and physical attributes. BI seems to have improved mostly because of more experience playing opposed to offseason work. I believe that because he’s been bad early in both seasons and then had great stretches later in both seasons. Could I be wrong? Of course but it’s a reasonable hypothesis.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Its worth keeping in mind that if Brandon Ingram was Tayshaun Prince, Shawn Marion or Scottie Pippen, next season would be his rookie season.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Brandon responds to LeBron signing on IG

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/lonzo-lamelo-ball-lose-it-over-brandon-ingrams-lebron-james-ig-post/

Great photoshop work BI

Incredible tbh. I actually thought it was a real photo.

BI has 1000x’s more personality than Kawhi, that’s for sure.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Its worth keeping in mind that if Brandon Ingram was Tayshaun Prince, Shawn Marion or Scottie Pippen, next season would be his rookie season.

Man, if BI can be LeBron's scottie and we add a max FA next summer, #17
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/lonzo-lamelo-ball-lose-it-over-brandon-ingrams-lebron-james-ig-post/

Great photoshop work BI

But 1000 x 0 = 0.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

I think this every time I see him compared to Durant or Giannis. His counting stats are great but he’s yet to have a sustained positive impact on our teams play over the course of the season. He’s got tons of potential but his body type helps him amongst the general public’s and LGs view of his potential far more than it hurts it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm still going with a rich man's Batum with better scoring.

BI has shown some improved passing as a playmaker when Lonzo was out. Plus he's a better scorer than Batum, and that got him a mega deal. A rich man's Batum + LBJ + max 2019 FA (likely wing player) is a great trio of wings to have.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

BI has shown some improved passing as a playmaker when Lonzo was out. Plus he's a better scorer than Batum, and that got him a mega deal. A rich man's Batum + LBJ + max 2019 FA (likely wing player) is a great trio of wings to have.

And Kuz off the bench. That’s a ton of depth to fill the most important role in the NBA.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I dunno. Batum, at least at the time, fit the mold (maybe even crafted the mold) of the "3 & D" wing player. It's hard for me to see Ingram in that light until he embraces the 3-ball and/or improves his defense.

In terms of player comparisons, I'd probably go with Odom because of the ballhandling, but you could shoot holes all day through that one too.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I dunno. Batum, at least at the time, fit the mold (maybe even crafted the mold) of a the "3 & D" wing player. It's hard for me to see Ingram in that light until embraces the 3-ball and/or improves his defense.

In terms of player comparisons, I'd probably go with Odom because of the ballhandling, but you could shoot holes all day through that one too.

BI shot 39% from 3, albeit on a low number of attempts per game.

But the comparison for me is apt b/c Batum was a ball handling forward who shot the 3 at a league average rate. His career stats:

12ppg/3.8apg/5.3rpg on 35.5% from 3.

BI has surpassed that last season, ergo the Bill Gates version of Batum. Maybe there's a more impactful player comp, but just similar archetypes.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Great photoshop work BI

But 1000 x 0 = 0.

🤣🤣🤣
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram's ceiling is poor man's Kevin Durant (yeah I said it), which means I expect him to be a top 15 player in the NBA at some point.

Brandon has slightly less explosiveness and quickness compared to Durant but just as smooth

watch these Durant rookie highlights and tell me you don't see a little bit of Ingram

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1092, 1093, 1094 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1093 of 1885
Jump to: