OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I've been wondering recently. Does not being charismatic/personable with the media work against someone who is a Laker? Our last championship team, had a lot of guys who were pretty polished with the media (Kobe/Pau/LO/Fisher)and/or personable (Artest for example). Bynum was cut from a different cloth and I think is one of the rarer examples.

I don't know how you work on this with someone like BI, but it would help him. For the same reason, always wondered how KL/Lakers would work out for a guy who seems to like not being in the limelight.

I thought from all accounts (and I believe it was mentioned by GT, though I apologize for misquoting if not), he's a media favorite? He's not exactly Kuz in terms of charisma and confidence exuded during interviews, but it sounds like he's just a nice kid who's easy to work with. That alone seems to go a long way, judging by how BI is covered by the media versus certain other guys that have played here...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I've been wondering recently. Does not being charismatic/personable with the media work against someone who is a Laker? Our last championship team, had a lot of guys who were pretty polished with the media (Kobe/Pau/LO/Fisher)and/or personable (Artest for example). Bynum was cut from a different cloth and I think is one of the rarer examples.

I don't know how you work on this with someone like BI, but it would help him. For the same reason, always wondered how KL/Lakers would work out for a guy who seems to like not being in the limelight.

I thought from all accounts (and I believe it was mentioned by GT, though I apologize for misquoting if not), he's a media favorite? He's not exactly Kuz in terms of charisma and confidence exuded during interviews, but it sounds like he's just a nice kid who's easy to work with. That alone seems to go a long way, judging by how BI is covered by the media versus certain other guys that have played here...

Yeah, I'd describe his as highly-regarded as a player by the media, rather than being someone that's loved for his ability to give a great quote or anything like that.

I also think that he benefitted from Randle being surly and Russell being a jerk, in that he came along in 2016 and was nice and polite and media people were like "finally!" That's my theory anyway.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I feel like he's more of a fan favorite if anything. kids in college and younger mostly think he's gunna be a star, really tantalized by the length and supposed KD comp.
I mean, it's not just kids though. Doris Burke, Charles Barkley, etc, they think he's gunna be a star. He's the talent-favorite of the young core IMO.

Me, I can't choose..
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, I'd describe his as highly-regarded as a player by the media, rather than being someone that's loved for his ability to give a great quote or anything like that.

I also think that he benefitted from Randle being surly and Russell being a jerk, in that he came along in 2016 and was nice and polite and media people were like "finally!" That's my theory anyway.

I know you've only been in the "club" for the last year or so, but it must be a media dream to cover the team this season. Getting that great quote or interview will be no problem on any given night with the Meme Team
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I know you've only been in the "club" for the last year or so, but it must be a media dream to cover the team this season. Getting that great quote or interview will be no problem on any given night with the Meme Team

Dude, I pinch myself every single day. I'm a simple guy, I wear basketball shorts and flip-flops almost all of the time. I don't have a taste for nice clothes, nice cars, a huge mansion, or anything like that. Never have.

The only luxury item I've ever had a burning desire for was Lakers' season tickets. That was seriously a life goal of mine, to be in a position where I could afford season tickets. Now not only do I not have to pay for them, I get paid to go to the games and give my thoughts on them...and then they let me in the locker room and I get to talk to the coach and the players!!!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Dude, I pinch myself every single day. I'm a simple guy, I wear basketball shorts and flip-flops almost all of the time. I don't have a taste for nice clothes, nice cars, a huge mansion, or anything like that. Never have.

The only luxury item I've ever had a burning desire for was Lakers' season tickets. That was seriously a life goal of mine, to be in a position where I could afford season tickets. Now not only do I not have to pay for them, I get paid to go to the games and give my thoughts on them...and then they let me in the locker room and I get to talk to the coach and the players!!!

That’s really cool, man. 👏🏽
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Russell was a jerk? I always assumed he'd be pretty easy going off the court, he seemed like a pretty laid back kid. No joking about Randle though, that dude was surly as hell win or lose.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

That's awesome, man. You're living the dream.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I can’t imagine how excited you are that you are gonna see this potential special team in most of the home games, and also interview these guys in the process, I hope you become the next Mike Trudell and they eventually let you become a sideline reporter..
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

I can't wait to see how much he has improved. I really hope all his training pays off, cause he's a hardworking kid that just is in the background. That's why I root for this kid, almost like an underdog.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
I can't wait to see how much he has improved. I really hope all his training pays off, cause he's a hardworking kid that just is in the background. That's why I root for this kid, almost like an underdog.

yup. maan him lebron and kuz finishing games at the 3 4 5 is just wow man. I'm so damn excited. Scoring, ball handling, passing , and length on defense.

Add lonzo if he's healhy. CANT WAIT.

Been on the BI train from the start. With the spotlight on our team now I hope he shows what hes capable of
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

yup. maan him lebron and kuz finishing games at the 3 4 5 is just wow man. I'm so damn excited. Scoring, ball handling, passing , and length on defense.

Add lonzo if he's healhy. CANT WAIT.

Been on the BI train from the start. With the spotlight on our team now I hope he shows what hes capable of
Same here, been on the BI train as well. I just feel like this kid is humble and is a silent killer. Still remember that 3 against sixers and he knew it. Didn't celebrate was just like whatever, I do this all the time. I love that about him.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
Russell was a jerk? I always assumed he'd be pretty easy going off the court, he seemed like a pretty laid back kid. No joking about Randle though, that dude was surly as hell win or lose.

I probably asked a good 15 people "what happened with Russell?" and he was almost universally disliked. Almost every person started with "he's really talented, but...". Even the people who were less adamant about disliking him acknowledged that he did himself no favors.

One element that was more apparent to me while I was living it (last year) as opposed to just watching it (the rest of my life) was how much time everyone spends around each other. Not just the players, but everyone involved in the basketball side of the organization, and the media too, to a lesser extent. I can see how being around someone who's kind of a bummer would grate on you when you have THAT much contact with them.

Anyway, my takeaway from the stories that I heard was that Russell has little to no social awareness, and this is a tough business to succeed in if you don't have many allies, unless you're simply an incredible talent.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFZ8imOtbqE

Damn the video got me pumped up, can’t wait to see his big Improvement.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing, GT.

It makes sense that it would be off the court issues. On the court, he’s a talent but that “incredible” part you mention is probably why it was easier for the Lakers FO to cut ties. He wasn’t Magic or Pelinka’s pick...so that doesn’t help either.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Kinda crazy how Trudell, who seems to be a genuine nice guy.. loved Dlo so much LOL maybe dlo was nice to him. I know d lo hated Bres.

"you seem up" LOL
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

hope he added off the dribble threes and running off screens to his arsenal this year
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

hope he added off the dribble threes and running off screens to his arsenal this year

Won’t be surprised, Micah Lancaster is supposed to be a Guru in working with players with there skill-sets.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
El Seano wrote:

I probably asked a good 15 people "what happened with Russell?" and he was almost universally disliked. Almost every person started with "he's really talented, but...". Even the people who were less adamant about disliking him acknowledged that he did himself no favors.

One element that was more apparent to me while I was living it (last year) as opposed to just watching it (the rest of my life) was how much time everyone spends around each other. Not just the players, but everyone involved in the basketball side of the organization, and the media too, to a lesser extent. I can see how being around someone who's kind of a bummer would grate on you when you have THAT much contact with them.

Anyway, my takeaway from the stories that I heard was that Russell has little to no social awareness, and this is a tough business to succeed in if you don't have many allies, unless you're simply an incredible talent.
That's an interesting side of things, thanks GT for that that insight. It's not surprising to hear though. It does sound like he was not very socially aware. I can see a lot of parallels with him and some other players. Hopefully he matures in time, cause if not...well...there have been talented guys that just didn't make it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Very cool piece on Micah Lancaster's training methods.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/9/21/17887408/training-methods-micah-lancaster-lakers-brandon-ingram-science
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
El Seano wrote:

Quote:
Russell has little to no social awareness

Can you explain what you mean by this? I know you weren't around at that time but I'm just curious, sometimes I feel like he just got overwhelmed by LA.

He seemed like a cool dude tbh, but I still (bleep) with Ingram more
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Very cool piece on Micah Lancaster's training methods.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/9/21/17887408/training-methods-micah-lancaster-lakers-brandon-ingram-science
Thanks for the link. I am sure him training with Lancaster will only make his moves smoother. His dribbling drills are nice.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Thrilled your dreams have been realized and your hard work recognized!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by this? I know you weren't around at that time but I'm just curious, sometimes I feel like he just got overwhelmed by LA.

He seemed like a cool dude tbh, but I still (bleep) with Ingram more

It wouldn't be appropriate to share the specific stories that I heard, but the common theme was "what the hell was he thinking?" rather than "he's a bad guy". He was described as being inconsiderate/unaware of the people around him. Either he didn't know how his actions impacted people or he didn't care.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1164 of 1885
Jump to: