OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1381, 1382, 1383 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

Still rooting for BI. Adapting to LBJ (and Rondo) is difficult but a necessary step where he has to learn to play with better established players (only gets more difficult if we land a max FA wing next summer).

I think for this season, my hopes for him are:

1. be the team's defensive lockdown guy who guards the best wing threat on a nightly basis.

2. increase the 3PAs from 1.9 to 3.5 a game. Hit 36-37% of them.

3. limit the contested mid-range shots (especially those where he seems to be shooting on the way down and not utilizing his insane length). He should call Jerry Stackhouse's boy Rasheed Wallace and learn that high release shot Sheed had back in the day.

While he's 21, he's in his 3rd season and if he can make these do-able improvements, he'll be on his way.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Ingram is just having a bit of a difficult time adjusting to playing with lebron. Last season and especially towards the second half of last season, Ingram’s role was different, he was becoming a go to player. This year he just watching lebron and kuzma take turns passing to each other and jacking up shots or lebron waive him off to a corner so he can Iso. I think if Kuzma is moved to the bench, it would benefit not only Ingram but the starters as a whole. More shots and opportunities for Lonzo and Ingram especially.

You're working under the assumption that Kuzma or Hart or even Lonzo for that matter are operating beyond themselves because of Lebron.

Its not a strectch to say the other youngins might be finding it just as difficult.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
Ingram is just having a bit of a difficult time adjusting to playing with lebron. Last season and especially towards the second half of last season, Ingram’s role was different, he was becoming a go to player. This year he just watching lebron and kuzma take turns passing to each other and jacking up shots or lebron waive him off to a corner so he can Iso. I think if Kuzma is moved to the bench, it would benefit not only Ingram but the starters as a whole. More shots and opportunities for Lonzo and Ingram especially.

You're working under the assumption that Kuzma or Hart or even Lonzo for that matter are operating beyond themselves because of Lebron.

Its not a strectch to say the other youngins might be finding it just as difficult.

But it's a reality that they will have to adjust to or else be shipped out. Things aren't getting any easier with another max wing FA next summer either.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Kuzma plays very well with LeBron, Hart plays well with him as well. Kuzma with his aggressive attacking style off ball, Hart with his ability to hit 3's or drive to the hole and draw a +1 against anyone. Both players compliment his game, Hart's going to provide some space if he keeps hitting 40% plus on 3's. Lonzo - gets a little passive on offense and defers a lot, but even at that he compliments LeBron, pushes the pace, allows LeBron more scoring or drive and dish opportunities, helps shore up the team defense when LeBron is on the floor, and it looks to me like Lonzo is learning to play halfcourt with LeBron as well lately.

Ingram - I see him cutting occasionally to the basket, but I see way too much redundancy, he seems to need the ball to be effective, particularly when he pounds the ball and goes into contested mid-range mode on offense. It's rare to feel like 'wow look at that Ingram/LeBron 2 man game!' watching them play together. BI can be disruptive on defense, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Kuzma plays very well with LeBron, Hart plays well with him as well. Kuzma with his aggressive attacking style off ball, Hart with his ability to hit 3's or drive to the hole and draw a +1 against anyone. Both players compliment his game, Hart's going to provide some space if he keeps hitting 40% plus on 3's. Lonzo - gets a little passive on offense and defers a lot, but even at that he compliments LeBron, pushes the pace, allows LeBron more scoring or drive and dish opportunities, helps shore up the team defense when LeBron is on the floor, and it looks to me like Lonzo is learning to play halfcourt with LeBron as well lately.

Ingram - I see him cutting occasionally to the basket, but I see way too much redundancy, he seems to need the ball to be effective, particularly when he pounds the ball and goes into contested mid-range mode on offense. It's rare to feel like 'wow look at that Ingram/LeBron 2 man game!' watching them play together. BI can be disruptive on defense, though.

A few thoughts.

1. Hart/Kuz are older, less heralded late 1st rounders. They have a mentality of fitting in, and play with more of a chip on their shoulders.

2. BI/Lonzo are younger, more heralded #2 picks. They probably think of themselves as future superstars, and may be a bit hesistant to play roles beneath their #2 draft status.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

A few thoughts.

1. Hart/Kuz are older, less heralded late 1st rounders. They have a mentality of fitting in, and play with more of a chip on their shoulders.

2. BI/Lonzo are younger, more heralded #2 picks. They probably think of themselves as future superstars, and may be a bit hesistant to play roles beneath their #2 draft status.

At least they know FO not scared of shipping out #2 pick or letting #7 pick go
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

LBJ fell last game and looked like a Life Alert commercial trying to go after a loose ball.

He also got stopped one on one by a 41 year old Vince Carter.

He's still a great player but where will he be in three years?

Even if we sign KD or Kawhi... we will need someone to take over LBJ's position.

Ingram won't be as good... but he still will be a much better player when he's 23 or 24.

Meanwhile AD is recruiting Boogie so there are no guarantees he will want to come.

Let's let Ingram play out at his controlled cost contract... if someone gives us an offer we can't refuse for him, maybe you consider it... but otherwise he should become a nice compliment for whoever we sign next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LBJ fell last game and looked like a Life Alert commercial trying to go after a loose ball.

Even if we sign KD or Kawhi... we will need someone to take over LBJ's position.

Ingram won't be as good... but he still will be a much better player when he's 23 or 24.

Meanwhile AD is recruiting Boogie so there are no guarantees he will want to come.

Let's let Ingram play out at his controlled cost contract... if someone gives us an offer we can't refuse for him, maybe you consider it... but otherwise he should become a nice compliment for whoever we sign next year.

But that's the thing. It's one thing to have BI on a 6-7m/year deal, but when he wants 27m what do you say? That's why you've seen so many high draft picks let go via trade/waived recently. Less teams are keeping high draft picks on huge deals.

Maybe BI takes on a more reasonable deal.

I think LBJ wants a lead scorer and he wants to be more of a full-time distributor.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

But that's the thing. It's one thing to have BI on a 6-7m/year deal, but when he wants 27m what do you say? That's why you've seen so many high draft picks let go via trade/waived recently. Less teams are keeping high draft picks on huge deals.

I think LBJ wants a lead scorer and he wants to be more of a full-time distributor.

I see the benefits of signing Kemba with the 18 million hold... and getting Kemba plus KD or Kawhi.

If that's the case... maybe you trade Lonzo in a one for one deal... but no way do I give up both.

My main point is many here are operating on the premise that LBJ remains preserved as 34 year old LBJ for the next three years... when he will continually decline 5% or so each season.

The good thing about LBJ and his style of play is that he seems to be more willing to play as a facilitator so it's possible he will make a smoother transition from superstar to 2nd or third option than Kobe or Jordan. However, when BI is 24... assuming he improves each year... he should be more productive than LBJ by then due to aging.

It's true what you say that BI must be willing to accept a lower contract if he doesn't put up all star numbers at an efficient rate.

That should be part of the calculation of the front office as they move forward. Who between Lonzo and BI is more reasonable about taking a modest contract if they don't have breakout seasons.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I see the benefits of signing Kemba with the 18 million hold... and getting Kemba plus KD or Kawhi.

If that's the case... maybe you trade Lonzo in a one for one deal... but no way do I give up both.

My main point is many here are operating on the premise that LBJ remains preserved as 34 year old LBJ for the next three years... when he will continually decline 5% or so each season.

The good thing about LBJ is his style of play is he seems to be willing to play as a facilitator so it's possible he will make a smoother transition from superstar to 2nd or third option than Kobe or Jordan. However, when BI is 24... assuming he improves each year... he should be more productive than LBJ by then due to aging.

It's true what you say that BI must be willing to accept a lower contract if he doesn't put up all star numbers at an efficient rate.

That should be part of the calculation of the front office as they move forward. Who between Lonzo and BI is more reasonable about taking a modest contract if they don't have breakout seasons.

I don't think Lonzo is a great trade asset (which is great b/c I like him). His dad, the family, and his unconventional style of play is probably not a selling point to most FOs.

I still think LBJ's production the next 3 years will be greater than BI's simply b/c he's descending from such a high point. Of course athletically BI will be ascending.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

The good thing about LBJ is his style of play is he seems to be willing to play as a facilitator so it's possible he will make a smoother transition from superstar to 2nd or third option than Kobe or Jordan. However, when BI is 24... assuming he improves each year... he should be more productive than LBJ by then due to aging.

I don't think Lonzo is a great trade asset (which is great b/c I like him). His dad, the family, and his unconventional style of play is probably not a selling point to most FOs.

I still think LBJ's production the next 3 years will be greater than BI's simply b/c he's descending from such a high point. Of course athletically BI will be ascending.

I'm using Malone as a template because of similar body type and numbers, although different style of play.

By 37 or 38 he was about a 22 to 23 PPG scorer and still a good rebounder. LBJ will probably lose some of his ability to run on the break, but still be able to pass and post up people. Maybe even become a better 3 ball shooter if he practices that skill.

It's possible that BI never progresses to that level. After the last two games... I don't blame many who have jumped off the BI bandwagon.
However, it's also possible he gets stronger, becomes more consistent with his midrange and three and more effective on defense and lowers his turnovers. This version of Ingram seems realistic, and would be very nice to have.

The key for the front office is whether he's progressing to that level or not.

If he isn't... then sure, I get going the DLO route and trading him.

But if they see that special something that will continue to grow, we should keep him as the replacement.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

LBJ is here and playing at a high level. BI has to fit well or he's gone. End of story.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LBJ is here and playing at a high level. BI has to fit well or he's gone. End of story.

LBJ will be old in three years when Ingram is 24.

If he were 25 or even 30 then what you said would make more sense.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

When comparing the young players like Ingram and Ball to more established players you have to compare roles.

Ingram is taking 13 shots a game at 30 mpg. Lonzo playing 26mpg (almost 9 mpg less then last season) and platooning with Rondo. At the moment both are complimentary players on a deep roster.

Players like James, Walker, Beal and KL all playing 32-36mpg and taking 18-21 shots per game. They are the focus. They have earned that responsibility.

But lets give some credit to Ingram for accepting and adjusting to a much lesser role. He still contributes on defense, he has improved his finishing ability and is again doing anything that is asked of him by the coaches. Or Ball from being the Golden Child to an afterthought.

Everyone is adjusting to James. On and off the court. So far they have done an impressive job of doing so IMO. Lakers will have to "adjust" again next season after all the one year players are replaced.

JMO but I would prefer the Lakers give a bit more responsibility to the young players then trade them away for quick fixes. Let James preserve his energy on the bench instead of on defense. James playing a rested 28-30mpg is a better option. Give the young players some room to develop and expand their roles is a better long term option.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Lebron needs someone to do what Ingram does, just do it better. Ingram still is raw, the talent is there, I feel like it is more mental and will get better. He looks so much better coming off the screen taking that jumper then from the triple threat.

All and all I don' think Ingram really ends up being that dude for Lebron, he is too young. He could have his chance in the future if he gets to stay. Right now at best he is a decent to good 3rd or even 4th option.

Last edited by 24Legend007 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Not every player is guaranteed a linear growth curve. BI could get better, or plateau or get worse. We don't know.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

All this "Ingram is still adjusting to LeBron", then just let him come off the bench and do his thing while giving LeBron some rests.

He'll likely be much more efficient fit as a sixth man on this team than he is now as a starter because he'll be able to have the ball in his hands more which is his biggest strenght. There are sixth men who are all-stars and Ingram can be that on this team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Not every player is guaranteed a linear growth curve. BI could get better, or plateau or get worse. We don't know.

I just addressed that in my previous post.

Listen to what Max Kellerman says about potential vs. kinetic energy.

This mirrors my feelings about what Philly and Houston have done vs. what I hope the Lakers don't do. And I know you, more than many here have also advocated for patience with the young core.

Who knows... maybe Philly, Houston, or even OKC surprises us and wins the chip this year... but my money is on teams like GSW, Boston, Toronto, and us... who haven't put all their eggs in a couple baskets.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I'm using Malone as a template because of similar body type and numbers, although different style of play.

By 37 or 38 he was about a 22 to 23 PPG scorer and still a good rebounder. LBJ will probably lose some of his ability to run on the break, but still be able to pass and post up people. Maybe even become a better 3 ball shooter if he practices that skill.

It's possible that BI never progresses to that level. After the last two games... I don't blame many who have jumped off the BI bandwagon.
However, it's also possible he gets stronger, becomes more consistent with his midrange and three and more effective on defense and lowers his turnovers. This version of Ingram seems realistic, and would be very nice to have.

The key for the front office is whether he's progressing to that level or not.

If he isn't... then sure, I get going the DLO route and trading him.

But if they see that special something that will continue to grow, we should keep him as the replacement.

Fair enough. Not much wrong in this post sir.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

In an "IDEAL" world, we get KD/KL next summer and our young guys have breakthrough years this year.

We may have to make the financially painful move to keep BI and then decide on Lonzo/Kuz/Hart in the year after.

But I'm getting the sense that we will get another all-NBA level wing player, which further pushes BI's role down. Whether it'll be good/bad long term that's another story.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
In an "IDEAL" world, we get KD/KL next summer and our young guys have breakthrough years this year.

We may have to make the financially painful move to keep BI and then decide on Lonzo/Kuz/Hart in the year after.

But I'm getting the sense that we will get another all-NBA level wing player, which further pushes BI's role down. Whether it'll be good/bad long term that's another story.

Yep. And Kuzma, who’s not an “all-NBA level wing player”, is already pushing him. I can’t help but think that Ingram sees Kuzma as a threat. Kuzma’s chemistry, on offense at least, with James is quite tangible.

He’ll only feel more pressure to get his when another guy arrives, you’re right.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

I am not opposed to Ingram coming off the bench.

Lonzo/Rondo/Lance
Hart/KCP/Lance
Kuz/Ingram/Lance
Lebron/Comity (Kuz/Ingram/Wagner/Lance?)
McGee/Chandler

That team is solid right now imo. Can get off to good fast offensive starts, before getting into grind mode.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

If BI thought co-existing with LBJ was tough, imagine if we add KD/KL/Klay?

It's a part of every top basketball player's growth curve.

Unless you are so clearly gifted and should be a centerpiece of the team's offense, you have to adapt to the team. It will be LBJ this year, and likely LBJ + another a high usage all star.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

I’m not working under that assumption and you saying that was an assumption on your part.

Last edited by DangeRuss on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep. And Kuzma, who’s not an “all-NBA level wing player”, is already pushing him. I can’t help but think that Ingram sees Kuzma as a threat. Kuzma’s chemistry, on offense at least, with James is quite tangible.

He’ll only feel more pressure to get his when another guy arrives, you’re right.

BI has gone from 67% to 59% finishing...

While Kuzma has gone from 64% to 71% at the rim.

This is mostly directly a function of LBJ as Tom Brady making Kuzma his go to Gronkowski this season.

In fairness to Kuzma, he's earned this right by being aggressive and making brilliant runs to the rim.

However, this also distorts the picture and makes Ingram look less productive... and makes Kuzma look better than he has been as the beneficiary of the bulk of LBJ's passes.

Clearly from last year's numbers... BI is capable of finishing just as well as Kuzma... but Kyle is the chosen one for LBJ.

If Kuzma didn't get those passes and Ingram did... BI would look much better and Kuzma's numbers would be atrocious this season.

Again... Kuz deserves half credit for finishing very well and running those routes... but we all need to consider this big picture when determining who we should keep and who we should trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1381, 1382, 1383 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1382 of 1885
Jump to: