OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Lamarcus Aldridge didn't surpass Ingram's TS% last season until he was 25.

His career TS% is the same as BI's TS% last year at 20.

He shoots a lot of mid-range jumpers too.

This feels like the old pound-the-post discussions there used to be on LG about 4-5 years ago.

DeMar DeRozan's career TS is 53.6%

Ingram at 20 averaged 53.6%

Lamarcus is a 6 time all star
DeRozan is a 4 time all star

I agree with all the analytics guys that his shot selection needs to improve

But BI at 20 years old is shooting the same as Aldridge and DeRozan did for their entire career.

My point? Shouldn't write the kid off just yet.

I find it a little disingenous to compare the beginning of Ingram's career by TS% to guys who began their careers in the 2000's, before shooting efficiency was understood to the degree it is now.

But if he is going to be a mid-range all-star he should probably work on shooting 80%+ from the free throw line on high volume like those two guys do.

Agree his FT shooting isn't good enough... it's my biggest personal reason that keeps me from projecting a high ceiling.

But I disagree about the legitimacy of comparing players who are still in the league and in their primes... Sure analytics guys might have drafted based on these metrics... but the players themselves have mostly just been in the gym balling... If anything, Ingram's TS will only go up once he masters the three... which is the shot most likely to improve as he gets older.

The fact that last year's TS% numbers were comparable to DeRozan's career numbers when he's been a poor FT shooter and low volume three shooter... indicates how much more room he has to improve... as opposed to someone like DLO who has been stuck on 51% for three years.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Haters

A££!!

Im just saying, if BI is described as playing well, and thats the benchmark then all the kids are playing 'well' at the least..
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
LKA wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Haters

BI was a highly touted lottery pick whos now in his 3rd season and still isnt showing promise of the ceiling many hoped for ..

Is everybody supposed to be thrilled rn?

If you don’t see the promise or the skills and things he can do in the court then you probably don’t know basketball nor have ever played it before

Followed the game my whole life, played the game my whole life, played varsity in HS so we can dismiss that ..

I dont see a lot of promise in him rn if we’re being completely honest. I see a guy that disrupts the offensive flow who has to dominate the ball just to struggle to score over 6’2” defenders

He constantly takes the worst shots in basketball, his IQ seems to be pretty low as well, he passes up catch and shoot 3s that he should be taking, often times just to create a turnover or drive into a crowd of defenders..

Nothing about him strikes me as elite potential. In terms of his shot..he struggles from 3 and the freethrow line, his finishing ability is pretty bad considering his length, and I’m unsure on his playmaking ability. I’ll admit his ball handling/passing is pretty good at his height but he is definitely no KD with the handle or Simmons type playmaker

He struggles from 3 and his finishing ability is bad and most people here he should not shoot the midrange because it’s the worst shot in basketball. Lol so Ingram should not even do anything remote offensively.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LKA wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
LKA wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Haters

BI was a highly touted lottery pick whos now in his 3rd season and still isnt showing promise of the ceiling many hoped for ..

If you don’t see the promise or the skills and things he can do in the court then you probably don’t know basketball nor have ever played it before

Followed the game my whole life, played the game my whole life, played varsity in HS so we can dismiss that ..

I dont see a lot of promise in him rn if we’re being completely honest. I see a guy that disrupts the offensive flow who has to dominate the ball just to struggle to score over 6’2” defenders

He constantly takes the worst shots in basketball, his IQ seems to be pretty low as well, he passes up catch and shoot 3s that he should be taking, often times just to create a turnover or drive into a crowd of defenders..

Nothing about him strikes me as elite potential. In terms of his shot..he struggles from 3 and the freethrow line, his finishing ability is pretty bad considering his length, and I’m unsure on his playmaking ability. I’ll admit his ball handling/passing is pretty good at his height but he is definitely no KD with the handle or Simmons type playmaker

He struggles from 3 and his finishing ability is bad and most people here he should not shoot the midrange because it’s the worst shot in basketball. Lol so Ingram should not even do anything remote offensively.

He should be shooting more 3s actually . If he makes a few of these shots a game, it will open up the game for him in terms of getting to the basket.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
CRoost wrote:
LKA wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
LKA wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Haters

He should be shooting more 3s actually . If he makes a few of these shots a game, it will open up the game for him in terms of getting to the basket.

His 3 ball is mostly catch and shoot. He can get to the basket, the problem is he has trouble finishing because he loved contacts and he’s the one getting bounce. The midrange is all open for him. He just need to practice hard on staying in form and in rhythm from pull ups, fade-aways, turnarounds, stepbacks etc. He also need a lot of practice with his footwork. People need to remember that’s not only he’s 21, but also a late bloomer.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject:

A lot of people are down on Ingram but he's only 21. Give him a few years to develop. I really hope the Lakers give Ingram, Ball, and Hart a good chance and don't trade them, they could blossom into special players. Kuzma though ...
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LKA wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Many teams could use BI. Young wing players who defend and play the point with size and length don’t grow on trees. He would fit in Philly, Minny, Orlando, San Antonio, Washington, Brooklyn... pretty much everywhere except for a few teams.

I dont think he would fit in Philly or DC.

Butler is obviously the better choice, but Philly would have loved Ingram over RoCo. Also DC could use Ingram over the crap they have at small forward.

Covington and Otto Porter were, along with LeBron, the RPM leaders at SF. They're premier role players and discernibly better than Ingram at this point. Either one on the Lakers would be fantastic.

That's not to say they're better to have going forward, as Ingram can still improve and Porter is on a huge deal, but that's the situation today.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:

While BI is adjusting and working on his offensive game, I hope he continues to give his all out effort on defense. It makes his lackluster offensive game not as much of a problem b/c of his spirited defense. Guarding smaller and quicker guards will pay dividends down the road for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

My man BJ Metta on Twitter dropped these amazing stats on BI:

FG% for BI based on # of dribbles:

0 dribble: 63.6% (14/22)
1 dribble: 40.9% (9/22)
2 dribbles: 47.1% (8/17)
3-6 dribbles: 38.2% (13/34)
7+ dribbles: 40% (6/15.

Conclusion. Needs to stop dribbling so much. His greatest # of shots are at the 3-6 dribbles mark and he's shooting a terrible 38% from it (league average is 45%).

When he spots up, he's hitting 63.6% (league average is 59.5%).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Conclusion. Needs to stop dribbling so much. His greatest # of shots are at the 3-6 dribbles mark and he's shooting a terrible 38% from it (league average is 45%).

Wonder how that compares to other players, I'd have to imagine that there are similar trends there for all players (more dribbles, lower FG%)

One thing I notice about Brandon, is that he hesitates sometimes on spot ups. I think, he needs have the absolute green light when it comes to shooting on spot ups. If he gets a spot up, shoot it, do not hesitate or worry about moving it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wonder how that compares to other players, I'd have to imagine that there are similar trends there for all players (more dribbles, lower FG%)

One thing I notice about Brandon, is that he hesitates sometimes on spot ups. I think, he needs have the absolute green light when it comes to shooting on spot ups. If he gets a spot up, shoot it, do not hesitate or worry about moving it.

I think when BI has an open 3 and he's about to launch it a mini Jerry Stackhouse poofs onto his shoulder and says "Boy, don't you launch that soft 3 pointer, take it to the hole like a man!"
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is it because his shooting form is too slow? The hesitation seems to be when a player gets in close on him when he catches the ball, and then come the dribbles that lead to a tough shot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

IBWriter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is it because his shooting form is too slow? The hesitation seems to be when a player gets in close on him when he catches the ball, and then come the dribbles that lead to a tough shot.

Could be. Or maybe he's worried about moving the ball. Either way, chances are he is taller than his defender so he should just let it fly. But yeah his slo gather definitely could be a factor IMO.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

this is perfect for people who think BI is not being utilized properly. is the coaching staff really telling him to dribble/dribble multiple times? i really doubt that
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

this is perfect for people who think BI is not being utilized properly. is the coaching staff really telling him to dribble/dribble multiple times? i really doubt that

When he has the mismatch (like CJ McCollum), it's going to happen. I hate it.

I prefer he opts to fade to the corner instead of the mid-to-high post, and then operate as a face up triple threat player, rather than his back to the basket. Easy to do give-and-go situations as well, which is what GSW players opt for when they don't want to Iso but have the mismatch.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

not sure, but I feel like a similar trend would be in play for most players in the NBA. Do you have comp numbers for Ball, Kuz or Hart? I would guess they at least trend in the similar direction.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Those complaining about Ingram are off base.
He is at 15.2 ppg shooting 45%

This is right on schedule and having to adjust to Lebron.

Would give Ingram, Ball, and Hart time to develop. They will be solid players. Maybe not all stars but solid players.
Kuzma can score but must put effort in defense like the others.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

not sure, but I feel like a similar trend would be in play for most players in the NBA. Do you have comp numbers for Ball, Kuz or Hart? I would guess they at least trend in the similar direction.

Yea I would assume the shooting percentages are similar but I would guess the frequency of the high dribble possessions is less.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's all on NBA.com. Similar trend for all those players and I added Lebron to the list as well.

Lebron: https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/shots-dash/

Ball: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628366/shots-dash/

Hart: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628404/shots-dash/

Kuz: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628398/shots-dash/

Ingram: https://stats.nba.com/player/1627742/shots-dash/

Last edited by ringfinger on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm guessing a lot of those "0 dribble stats" are dunks and layups. He is likely not a 63.6% spot up shooter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

thank you ringfinger, did not realize info was on nba.com
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Likely, but he's above the NBA average for spot ups and well below the 3-6 dribbles % (which he takes the most).

For me it's not a comparison thing, more so that there are things he is demonstrably better at (0 dribble shots) and worse at (3-6 dribbles) but he keeps on doing more of the things he's worse at and less of the good stuff.

That's coaching to me. They need to show this and get him in the habit of doing things that are actually working for him now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm guessing a lot of those "0 dribble stats" are dunks and layups. He is likely not a 63.6% spot up shooter

I updated my links above, those also include shooting percentage by shot type (i.e. dribble pull up, catch/shoot, less than 10 feet, etc).

Ingram has a 43.8% FG (54.7% eFG) on catch and shoot.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Likely, but he's above the NBA average for spot ups and well below the 3-6 dribbles % (which he takes the most).

For me it's not a comparison thing, more so that there are things he is demonstrably better at (0 dribble shots) and worse at (3-6 dribbles) but he keeps on doing more of the things he's worse at and less of the good stuff.

That's coaching to me. They need to show this and get him in the habit of doing things that are actually working for him now.

it is not that I was trying to compare it as in "see, they are bad also"....just chose the young core to see if theory held true. I do not know the numbers that well, but I knew that catch and shoot was usually the highest % for most players, and assumed the more creation (dribbling), the lower the %.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ingram's midrange stats are all up this season...

3 to 10 feet 21% to 36%
10 to 16 feet 35% to 37%
16 feet to the 3 pt line 43% to 45%

Where he is down is finishing 67% to 60%
And 3 pt line 39% to 35%

Because Kuzma is LBJ's favored target at the rim... Kuzma's finishing stats have improved from 64% to 70%

Kyle's midrange and 3 point numbers are atrocious this season.

If Ingram got Kuzma's layups... his overall numbers would be on par with last season.

Don't get me wrong... Kuzma has made great runs to the rim and deserves those shots.

But Ingram's doing the dirty work trying to create his own shot and getting flamed for not taking all the easy layups.

If you took away the easy layups from Kuzma... he wouldn't have anything else right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1394 of 1885
Jump to: