OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1497, 1498, 1499 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Here's another thing to consider -- is there any chance that the team currently playing its best without Ingram, is simply playing it's best because they've all had more time together?

In other words, have the "fit" issues we have seen been a function of Ingram? Or time together?

I'm leaning towards Ingram, but, I suppose it is possible that it's not the absence of Ingram that is causing us to play well together but that it coincides with things coming together over time.

I dunno.

I think with BI, the net rating shows they play JUST well enough to win. Miniscule positive net ratings IIRC.

Without BI, the net rating is much higher.

So we are winning with BI, but seemingly winning more easily without him in the starting lineup, if that makes sense.

I'm curious though, to see that net rating over time. The net rating WITH Ingram, over time.

If the issue is ONLY Ingram, that trend line should be relatively flat.

But what if the net rating was SUPER low early and for most of the beginning of the season and then started moving in a very positive direction more recently?

There is a lot of "bad play" from the early part of the season mixed into the overall net rating. I'm not doubting its Ingram, I'm just saying, there is some noise there, and I'd love to be able to isolate it some by tracking net rating WITH Ingram over time to see if it's always been a problem or if it's one that has shown only a very recent improvement.

I don't think we are losing b/c of BI.

It's just that the numbers indicate that we would win in a greater margin without him in the starting lineup.

I never said lose. Those numbers are an aggregation of performances from the beginning of the season through a couple days ago, right?

So let's assume for a moment, that with BI we started out the season as the worst starting 5 of all time. Then, on 12/2, during the Suns game, our team finally "clicked" with BI in the starting lineup and we became history's best starting 5 ever with BI in the lineup. Let's just pretend for a moment.

Would the net rating reflect a very good complement of players or bad? It would say we are very bad even though we had just clicked to become the best ever.

Please -- this is LG so let me clarify. I'm not saying I think any of this. What I'm saying simply is that net rating includes a lot of "noise" when the team wasn't clicking at all. IF and this is hypothetical, IF the team has turned a corner with BI very very recently, that wouldn't be reflected in the net rating is all I am saying.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
a lot of "noise" when the team wasn't clicking at all.

I understand what you're saying. But the counter to that is that maybe there's a reason why the team wasn't clicking.

I would refrain from a knee jerk reaction and just trade him out. I still have some hope he can develop into a playoff contender starter level player one day. But I think it's one of the worst kept secrets in the NBA and Tjarks just plainly and adroitly explained all the issues. His suspension/injury have made it a very stop-go-stop-go season for him. Coupled with adjusting to LBJ I'm sure it's been a frustrating season for him.

Still hoping for the best for BI and the Lakers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I understand what you're saying. But the counter to that is that maybe there's a reason why the team wasn't clicking.

I would refrain from a knee jerk reaction and just trade him out. I still have some hope he can develop into a playoff contender starter level player one day. But I think it's one of the worst kept secrets in the NBA and Tjarks just plainly and adroitly explained all the issues. His suspension/injury have made it a very stop-go-stop-go season for him. Coupled with adjusting to LBJ I'm sure it's been a frustrating season for him.

Totally agree on your counter. I think that is possible. I guess I'm opening up to the idea that perhaps, we haven't seen the lineups long enough to draw a firm conclusion. My gut, and the data, says right now the lineup is better with Hart in it. But my mind says that we probably need more data points before we can firmly draw that conclusion since much of the net rating data with BI in it coincides with a period of time where we weren't clicking yet.

Maybe the best thing is to go back with Ingram in the starting lineup, and see if the net rating we have enjoyed RECENTLY, without him, plummets with him in it, then, we more comfortably make the change at that time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree on your counter. I think that is possible. I guess I'm opening up to the idea that perhaps, we haven't seen the lineups long enough to draw a firm conclusion. My gut, and the data, says right now the lineup is better with Hart in it. But my mind says that we probably need more data points before we can firmly draw that conclusion since much of the net rating data with BI in it coincides with a period of time where we weren't clicking yet.

Maybe the best thing is to go back with Ingram in the starting lineup, and see if the net rating we have enjoyed RECENTLY, without him, plummets with him in it, then, we more comfortably make the change at that time.

I just wish people would stop making two different arguments against each other.

It's not a "talent" issue as I think BI was a #2 pick for a reason.

It's a "fit" issue.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I just wish people would stop making two different arguments against each other.

It's a "fit" issue.

Well, sure, I don't disagree though I'm not sure it really matters.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It's a "fit" issue.

It does from a public perception matter. Folks equate not starting BI with assailing his talent rather than understanding it as a fit issue. BI puts up some commendable numbers without LBJ, but obviously this team is not benching LBJ. So it's not that BI doesn't have a modicum of talent, it's that his fit is less than ideal.

And fit, through better coaching and direction, can be taught. I can't understand why BI would not be able to do so if he had the right coaching and people whispering in his ears.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It's a "fit" issue.

It does from a public perception matter. Folks equate not starting BI with assailing his talent rather than understanding it as a fit issue. BI puts up some commendable numbers without LBJ, but obviously this team is not benching LBJ. So it's not that BI doesn't have a modicum of talent, it's that his fit is less than ideal.

And fit, through better coaching and direction, can be taught. I can't understand why BI would not be able to do so if he had the right coaching and people whispering in his ears.

Fair enough. Though I will add, I don't fit isn't always teachable. Lots of players are just stuck in their ways. Ingram still young -- maybe he is moldable but frankly, I don't think he has the mentality to adjust.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think he has the mentality to adjust.

I'm not sure about that.

We were such a poor team his first two years that he didn't have to adjust to anything.

If anything, I assign blame on the coaching staff for not building him from the bottom up and learning how to be a role player first, then starter, then etc.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It's a "fit" issue.

Fair enough. Though I will add, I don't fit isn't always teachable. Lots of players are just stuck in their ways. Ingram still young -- maybe he is moldable but frankly, I don't think he has the mentality to adjust.

This is pure speculation. Do you really think that if Luke was telling BI not to play the way he's playing, and BI's been doing it anyway, that he wouldn't have been benched by now?

BI's playing the way he is because that's how the coaching staff wants him to play. You can make the argument that he's not good enough to do that yet, but that's clearly what they're choosing to develop.

With Hart, they're not going to run through him. What that means is that the team runs everything through Lebron with that lineup, and the results are better because Lebron is the best playmaker in the league.

You know what would produce an even higher net rating? Playing Lebron 48 minutes a game. The reason they don't do that is the same reason they want to groom a secondary scorer who can create off the dribble, even if it's not as effective as running everything through Lebron all the time.

In an ideal world, you want Ingram and Lebron to have great chemistry. Even if it's not the most ideal combination now, that has the potential for a much higher ceiling than Lebron and Hart. You don't build that chemistry by not playing them together.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It's a "fit" issue.

This is pure speculation. Do you really think that if Luke was telling BI not to play the way he's playing, and BI's been doing it anyway, that he wouldn't have been benched by now?

BI's playing the way he is because that's how the coaching staff wants him to play. You can make the argument that he's not good enough to do that yet, but that's clearly what they're choosing to develop.

With Hart, they're not going to run through him. What that means is that the team runs everything through Lebron with that lineup, and the results are better because Lebron is the best playmaker in the league.

You know what would produce an even higher net rating? Playing Lebron 48 minutes a game. The reason they don't do that is the same reason they want to groom a secondary scorer who can create off the dribble, even if it's not as effective as running everything through Lebron all the time.

Well of course it's speculation. That's why I said "I think". I'm just putting my opinion out there that I don't see Ingram being able to adapt. Definitely open to, and hoping, BI will prove me wrong.

We just haven't seen it yet. What I am holding out hope for, is I remember when Kobe had an ankle injury I think it was, and he saw how the team played without him and it gave him a huge boost of confidence that helped him make needed adjustments.

I'm hoping Ingram will do that too, seeing HOW the team plays well in his absence.

But if I had to put money on it, I'd probably bet against it. I don't know why I feel that way, I just do.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Ingram is doing fine. Last 10 games he is averaging 15.2 pts 50% fg at 12 shot per game. I agree Kuz is showing a better fit, but bashing BI cause he has not adjusted to LBJ as well is plain dumb.

We see players like Gordon (Orlando) or Zach (Chicago) wishing we could have them, but they are 2 yrs older than BI. Be patient and give BI more time to mature, if he can shoot a better clip on 3's his game will blossom. Offensively baby step, rookie year he was too skinny at first gain weight, second year learned to drive basket well with contact, this year showing his mid range is getting better, next year I expect his range to extend to the 3 pts line. Defensively he has been consistent and providing us length, for this reason baby step offense should not be a problem. Still have hope BI will be an All Star in this league, the kid is only 21 yrs old. Do you anybody hitting there athletic peak at that age he has plenty of room to grow.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

There are some issues if you don't start BI.

1. If both Lonzo and Hart combine for their invisible acts at the same time in the same game, then we will have a 40+ mins LB game. Of the 20 games BI has played/started 15 has score in double figures 10 times.

2. Volume scorer taller opponent SG (We saw with Derozan, will see tonite with Harden) torching us.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
There are some issues if you don't start BI.

1. If both Lonzo and Hart combine for their invisible acts at the same time in the same game, then we will have a 40+ mins LB game. Of the 20 games BI has played/started 15 has score in double figures 10 times.

2. Volume scorer taller opponent SG (We saw with Derozan, will see tonite with Harden) torching us.

2 I’m worried about, 1 not at all.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Considering his best stretch last season came with him functioning as the PG, I think we should let him come off the bench where he can dominate the ball and create for a bunch of players that otherwise cannot do anything for themselves. Otherwise we have really unbalanced lineups. Plus, he can still close with the nominal starters and provide his defense -- seems like he actually takes pride in guarding the other teams top guys, so let's let him do that in the 4th.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Considering his best stretch last season came with him functioning as the PG, I think we should let him come off the bench where he can dominate the ball and create for a bunch of players that otherwise cannot do anything for themselves. Otherwise we have really unbalanced lineups. Plus, he can still close with the nominal starters and provide his defense -- seems like he actually takes pride in guarding the other teams top guys, so let's let him do that in the 4th.

I do think Rondo would complicate that a bit. He was running the 2nd unit b/f getting hurt. He can't play off ball, and I don't think they move Lonzo to the bench either.

They may not move BI to the bench, but at the very least, make BI the first sub out so he can get more time without LBJ. There are 14mpg without LBJ, and BI should be getting 100% of those minutes. But in order to ensure a longer term Lakers tenure, he will need to learn how to maximize his 15-16mpg WITH LBJ.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I do think Rondo would complicate that a bit. He was running the 2nd unit b/f getting hurt. He can't play off ball, and I don't think they move Lonzo to the bench either.

They may not move BI to the bench, but at the very least, make BI the first sub out so he can get more time without LBJ. There are 14mpg without LBJ, and BI should be getting 100% of those minutes. But in order to ensure a longer term Lakers tenure, he will need to learn how to maximize his 15-16mpg WITH LBJ.

Totally removing Rondo from the equation fleshes out many of the role and minute distribution issues.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Totally removing Rondo from the equation fleshes out many of the role and minute distribution issues.

You wanna roll with an 8 man rotation? Or swap him out for Svi or Lance? I’m not a fan of either of those options. Rondo is one of the best backup PGs in the game and we’d be wise to utilize him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

You wanna roll with an 8 man rotation? Or swap him out for Svi or Lance? I’m not a fan of either of those options. Rondo is one of the best backup PGs in the game and we’d be wise to utilize him.

Replace him with a shooter. Svi if he can can hang, but preferably through a trade.

And we utilize him to the detriment of our two young players.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Brandon was doing a much better job of moving purposefully without the ball in the 2 games leading up to Zaza Aldridge. He also played a big role in completely shutting down Doncic, but it's hard to argue that the starting unit looks better with him in it as opposed to JHart.

The thing is...we've lost Rondo (13 games and counting) AND BI (4 games and counting) and I can't say where or how we specifically miss them outside of BI on Derozen and even that's speculation because he never got to D him up.

So if that's the case and we're winning...not sure why we'd change the starting lineup. But I'd love seeing Lance and KCP getting garbage time minutes only. Zo has clearly been better broken J on the road aside and Kuz has been better and JHart has been better...so BI off the bench as a 1-2 with Rondo should dominate the other team's backups.

#BannersOverBillboards
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Replace him with a shooter. Svi if he can can hang, but preferably through a trade.

And we utilize him to the detriment of our two young players.

The minutes may be a detriment but I still think he has a positive influence on them and will provide quality minutes in the playoffs.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

This doesn't really mean (bleep) but I had a dream that Ingram came back from injury and Luke told him to focus on defense and let Kuzma be the second option (for some reason, I was in the Lakers lockeroom for this dream). Ingram won DPOY and averaged 2+ blocks and steals but he only averaged 14 ppg on Curry like TS%.

Maybe my dream comes true
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

That kid will surprise everybody in 2 years but sadly i think it ll be on an other jersey
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
That kid will surprise everybody in 2 years but sadly i think it ll be on an other jersey

Totally fine if he gets us a healthy return.

I m going to bet on a guy in goat conversation then a 21 year old
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
greek laker wrote:

i agree but you know its a little sad to see all that players (radle, dlo,ingram,
maybe lonzo) that we had high hopes for them , play for other teams
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
greek laker wrote:

i agree but you know its a little sad to see all that players (radle, dlo,ingram,
maybe lonzo) that we had high hopes for them , play for other teams

BI and Zo still play for us
DLO hasn't done anything worth missing...neither has Jordan or Larry for that matter
Jules I'm a little sad to see go after he put it all together, but he wouldn't be getting those minutes here with us unless you would rather they come at the expense of Kuz...or missing out on a chance at KD or KL...

I'd rather have Kuz and the chance for another max next year.

#BannersOverBillboards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1497, 1498, 1499 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1498 of 1885
Jump to: