OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Deng's a far worse defender at the 4, and is at his best defensively at the 3.

So if you are trying to replace him at the 4 for defense you're slamming yourself in the foot.

Deng at the 3 is best for this team for what we need from them unless there's an injury.

Deng is a better defender at the 4 than Randle at this time. I am all for starting Deng at the 4 and moving JR to the bench until his game improves. Not sure that we should start BI yet at the 3 though. Might still be better to start Swaggy (I can't believe I am typing that) at the 3. BI looked really good as a guard. I would rather have him start at the 2 than JC.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:

So if you are trying to replace him at the 4 for defense you're slamming yourself in the foot.

Deng at the 3 is best for this team for what we need from them unless there's an injury.

Deng is a better defender at the 4 than Randle at this time. I am all for starting Deng at the 4 and moving JR to the bench until his game improves. Not sure that we should start BI yet at the 3 though. Might still be better to start Swaggy (I can't believe I am typing that) at the 3. BI looked really good as a guard. I would rather have him start at the 2 than JC.

Deng is a net negative defensively at the 4 and what he gives offensively isn't worth it.

Julius is a better choice for bodying up against other 4s in all honesty as well as rebounding and being able to deal with the mass coming his way.

The ONLY benefit to sticking Deng at the 4 is that he will shoot 3s. But he'll be giving up enough defense at the 4 for it not to matter much.

Julius is just fine at the starting 4 and Deng as the starting 3.

It's tickling how you want Julius to 'earn' the starting 4 position despite him outplaying every other power forward on this team thus far, while you want Ingram to be handed the starting 3 from Deng when he's yet to earn it himself. So which way is it?

Cause if you wanna play it that way consistently you'd put Julius on the bench along with Ingram and have Nick Young start at the 3 and Deng at the 4

Do you really want that if we're staying with the consistency of that theory? Cause if Julius hasn't 'earned' that starting 4 spot given his play, Ingram sure as heck hasn't earned the starting wing spot from Deng, Lou, OR Nick Young for that matter. So yeah.. if we go by that logic our starting lineup should be

D'Angelo Russell
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Luol Deng
Timofey Mozgov

Would you want that?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Could Luke Walton Get Experimental With Brandon Ingram At Center?

Quote:
If you think this lineup would struggle you might be right. But at the risk of sounding overly negative, keep in mind that the most conservative lineup the Lakers could put out there wouldn’t fare much better, because, well, they don’t have many good players. Exploring Ingram’s versatility is a worthwhile investment. He has the skillset for the Lakers to even try a big lineup of Russell, Ingram, Deng, Larry Nance Jr. and Julius Randle, even if that may seem to be the opposite direction than the one the league is heading in.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/243691/Could-Luke-Walton-Get-Experimental-With-Brandon-Ingram-At-Center
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Could Luke Walton Get Experimental With Brandon Ingram At Center?

Quote:
If you think this lineup would struggle you might be right. But at the risk of sounding overly negative, keep in mind that the most conservative lineup the Lakers could put out there wouldn’t fare much better, because, well, they don’t have many good players. Exploring Ingram’s versatility is a worthwhile investment. He has the skillset for the Lakers to even try a big lineup of Russell, Ingram, Deng, Larry Nance Jr. and Julius Randle, even if that may seem to be the opposite direction than the one the league is heading in.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/243691/Could-Luke-Walton-Get-Experimental-With-Brandon-Ingram-At-Center

Which poster wrote that article?
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:

Deng is a net negative defensively at the 4 and what he gives offensively isn't worth it.

Julius is a better choice for bodying up against other 4s in all honesty as well as rebounding and being able to deal with the mass coming his way.

The ONLY benefit to sticking Deng at the 4 is that he will shoot 3s. But he'll be giving up enough defense at the 4 for it not to matter much.

It's tickling how you want Julius to 'earn' the starting 4 position despite him outplaying every other power forward on this team thus far, while you want Ingram to be handed the starting 3 from Deng when he's yet to earn it himself. So which way is it?

Cause if you wanna play it that way consistently you'd put Julius on the bench along with Ingram and have Nick Young start at the 3 and Deng at the 4

Do you really want that if we're staying with the consistency of that theory? Cause if Julius hasn't 'earned' that starting 4 spot given his play, Ingram sure as heck hasn't earned the starting wing spot from Deng, Lou, OR Nick Young for that matter. So yeah.. if we go by that logic our starting lineup should be

D'Angelo Russell
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Luol Deng
Timofey Mozgov

Would you want that?

Julius is also a net negative defender.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:

D'Angelo Russell
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Luol Deng
Timofey Mozgov

Would you want that?

Julius is also a net negative defender.

He's also better suited to play the power forward and is better at the power forward than Deng is.

The only reason you're playing Deng at the 4 is to take advantage of a matchup/lineup with which you stagger minutes and you only ever start Deng at the 4 if all your other options are injured.

It would take both Randle and Nance to be hurt for Deng to see a single second of starting time at the 4. I don't think anyone wants that.

Deng's increased 3 point percentage at the 4 wasn't worth the points he gave up on the other end and as I said, we're not going with an "offense first" mentality.

Julius is also stronger, a better rebounder and playmaker and fast break option than Deng is at the 4 which is why Walton has him in there. Deng's 3 point shooting and lack of defense doesn't off-set everything else Julius gives us at the 4 ESPECIALLY for what Luke wants to do.

So if you wanna stagger lineups with Deng at the 4 from time to time that's fine, however STARTING him there.. we have no legitimate reason for if we're looking at what he'd give us there vs what he doesn't.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I love ingrams demeanor and way he handles himself. He has an older kobes off court persona. keeps to himself and just works hard not which is hard for a 19 yr old millionaire franchise player of Lakers
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Deng's Defensive Rating post-AS (coincides with his move to the 4) is identical to his pre-AS rating, FWIW.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

Look at how Ingram operates this P/R from their scrimmage today. Exquisitely guard-like. The inside-out cross going away from the screen - then the inside out dribble while being patient and taking up more space that the D is giving him - then finally making the pass to the bigman. That patience and manipulation of the defense off the dribble's great. Rare as hell for a 19 year old SF. You can absolutely tell he played PG in highschool.

highlights from the Dubs game. Love the first drive on Draymond Green, keeping the dribble alive and doing that little hesitation, all with the left - And then the smooth reverse layup long extension. advanced stuff for his age. And then the pass to Swaggy on the break in the 1st half, that was a greattt read that he didn't even stare down
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject:

So far on offense I think he's been best at pg. I'd like to see experiment with a lineup of

Ingram
Russell
Clarkson
Deng
Nance
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

Interesting what he said regarding catch and shooting and shooting off the drible. He seems pretty adamant on creating his own shot which isn't a bad thing by any means. But Clarkson and Randle are two players who are only effective offensively with the ball in their hands (Clarkson isn't consistent enough of a shooter to be a lethal off ball threat.) This just solidifies my idea of bringing Clarkson and Randle off the bench. Ingram's development is more important than those two.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6aV05ey2gc

Interesting what he said regarding catch and shooting and shooting off the drible. He seems pretty adamant on creating his own shot which isn't a bad thing by any means. But Clarkson and Randle are two players who are only effective offensively with the ball in their hands (Clarkson isn't consistent enough of a shooter to be a lethal off ball threat.) This just solidifies my idea of bringing Clarkson and Randle off the bench. Ingram's development is more important than those two.

Clarkson was much more efficient without the ball last season, so he should probably get used to working off of screens.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Ingram was frozen out a lot tonight in a sloppy, sloppy game, but on some of his possessions he was clearly affected by Bender's length at PF. I actually would have liked to see BI more at SF than PF this game, but the team was admittedly short-handed.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:

We are trying to develop Randle, not Deng.

Ingram didn't seem there tonight and didn't get many minutes, I wonder if he might be nursing something.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Ingrams awareness and Insticts on D is truly special, even if he ends up only scoring 8-10Pts if he brings that elite D, we will win more games because of it.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Shot 2 times tonight. lmao.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject:

He's not getting the ball enough too many ball handlers. Huertas dribbles too much and you know Lou is not passing it.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
He's not getting the ball enough too many ball handlers. Huertas dribbles too much and you know Lou is not passing it.

This is something I agree with you on. Huertas just pounds and pounds the rock.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
So far on offense I think he's been best at pg. I'd like to see experiment with a lineup of

Ingram
Russell
Clarkson
Deng
Nance
That's the lineup most of us want to see with Nance or Mozgov at C but for some reason Luke is too attached to Randle. I think that will be our most successful lineup and we'll win a lot of games.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is very passive. Let's hope it's a function of age.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't like Huertas out there. He's too ball dominant. And I thought we looked great as a team when the ball was in Ingram's hands with the second unit.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Ingram is very passive. Let's hope it's a function of age.

Yeah, when the ball is not in his hands he becomes very passive. I think he should be the 2nd unit PG. He just offers much more of a threat than any of the other guys. And he has pretty good court vision.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I don't like Huertas out there. He's too ball dominant. And I thought we looked great as a team when the ball was in Ingram's hands with the second unit.
This goes right to Luke. He's giving these vets too much control of the offense.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Bruh, that avatar....
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Bruh, that avatar....

I know... I know... but it's how I felt after tonight's game. The offense felt like a carbon copy of Byron-ball, with Lou and Young leading the charge and shot-jacking with zero regard. It was pandemonium and Luke's rotations were complete @ss. It's unwatchable basketball and Luke probably knows it too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 151 of 1885
Jump to: