OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 559, 560, 561 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
tox wrote:
rmtm07 wrote:
brandon will be the most improved player next season. book it
Has a sophomore ever gotten MIP? Doubt that happens

Looks like Monta, Arenas, Kevin Johnson..... and maybe some others. I'll have to look again later when I have more time. That was a pretty good question though.

Thanks for the correction. It's not like Monta's 2nd year stats are out of reach.

Hmmm, makes you wonder what Brandon would have to average to get there. Here are the differences of those players from year 1 to year 2:

Ellis (Year 1): 18.1 Min., 6.8 PPG (41.5%), 2.1 RPG, 1.6 APG
Ellis (Year 2): 34.3 Min., 16.5 PPG (47.5%), 3.2 RPG, 4.1 APG

Arenas (Year 1): 24.6 Min., 10.9 PPG (45.3%), 2.8 RPG, 3.7 APG
Arenas (Year 2): 35.0 Min., 18.3 PPG (43.1%), 4.7 RPG, 6.3 APG

K. Johnson (Year 1): 24.0 Min., 9.2 PPG (46.1%), 2.4 RPG, 5.5 APG
K. Johnson (Year 2): 39.2 Min., 20.4 PPG (50.5%), 4.2 RPG, 12.2 APG

-----------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, KJ... damn.

Second, Ingram averaged 28.8 min., 9.4 PPG (40.2%), 4.0 RPG, 2.1 APG last year. I think he averages something like 32.0 min., 16.0 (45.0%), 5.0 RPG, 3.0 APG next year. I don't think that's enough to get most improved. If he somehow were to average 20+PPG per year? Sure. But that's pretty unlikely.

I think MIP will be one of these guys

Rodney Hood
DLo
BI
Myles Turner
Devin Booker
Julius Randle

I'd put money on Rodney Hood.

i say bradley, ingram, j murray, lavine, dlo, oladipo, w. hernangomez, hield, or ingles
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't look like Ellis, Arenas, KJ got that much better, they just got the opportunity to play real minutes. Ingram played real minutes last season. He wasn't good. Hopefully he's a stud this season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
tox wrote:
rmtm07 wrote:
brandon will be the most improved player next season. book it
Has a sophomore ever gotten MIP? Doubt that happens

Looks like Monta, Arenas, Kevin Johnson..... and maybe some others. I'll have to look again later when I have more time. That was a pretty good question though.

Thanks for the correction. It's not like Monta's 2nd year stats are out of reach.

Hmmm, makes you wonder what Brandon would have to average to get there. Here are the differences of those players from year 1 to year 2:

Ellis (Year 1): 18.1 Min., 6.8 PPG (41.5%), 2.1 RPG, 1.6 APG
Ellis (Year 2): 34.3 Min., 16.5 PPG (47.5%), 3.2 RPG, 4.1 APG

Arenas (Year 1): 24.6 Min., 10.9 PPG (45.3%), 2.8 RPG, 3.7 APG
Arenas (Year 2): 35.0 Min., 18.3 PPG (43.1%), 4.7 RPG, 6.3 APG

K. Johnson (Year 1): 24.0 Min., 9.2 PPG (46.1%), 2.4 RPG, 5.5 APG
K. Johnson (Year 2): 39.2 Min., 20.4 PPG (50.5%), 4.2 RPG, 12.2 APG

-----------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, KJ... damn.

Second, Ingram averaged 28.8 min., 9.4 PPG (40.2%), 4.0 RPG, 2.1 APG last year. I think he averages something like 32.0 min., 16.0 (45.0%), 5.0 RPG, 3.0 APG next year. I don't think that's enough to get most improved. If he somehow were to average 20+PPG per year? Sure. But that's pretty unlikely.

I think MIP will be one of these guys

Rodney Hood
DLo
BI
Myles Turner
Devin Booker
Julius Randle

I'd put money on Rodney Hood.

i say bradley, ingram, j murray, lavine, dlo, oladipo, w. hernangomez, hield, or ingles

Don't do it to us DLO. Don't think my heart could handle it.

Porzingis is another guy to add to the list.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

I would be very very surprised if DLO gets the MIP award. If he does, well then the inner dog of DLO will have finally been awakened.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

DLO's averages last year were too high to get an MIP next year. He had respectable numbers last year. As such, he'd probably have to average 25+ points per game to be in contention IMO. I guess that's possible, but that would be pretty insane (and unlikely) to happen.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Where did this BI MIP talk come from?
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DLO's averages last year were too high to get an MIP next year. He had respectable numbers last year. As such, he'd probably have to average 25+ points per game to be in contention IMO. I guess that's possible, but that would be pretty insane (and unlikely) to happen.

I agree, but the league wide narrative seems to be that he is not very good. I think he could be in contention just with getting minutes and continuing his current trajectory.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Brandon Ingram

That would be great!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Brandon Ingram

Not sure I agree with this opinion. Where are the numbers to back this up?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Brandon Ingram

no numbers necessary ...

Brandon Ingram still plans to do workout with Kobe Bryant

by Bob Garcia IVJuly 25, 2017

https://clutchpoints.com/brandon-ingram-still-plans-to-do-workout-with-kobe-bryant/

Ingram wants to diversify his scoring with drills on spot-up shooting drills, as well as working off pick-and-rolls, from the elbows and from the block. After offering positive reviews with the Lakers’ strength and conditioning coaches both past (Tim DiFrancesco) and present (Gunnar Peterson), Ingram plans to add more unspecified amount of strength through continuous weight training. And Ingram remained committed to his anticipated workout with former Lakers star Kobe Bryant that will focus on learning how he watches film, scouts teams and studies player tendencies.

“Everything we do on the basketball court is mental,” Ingram said. “It’s nothing physical.”
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I would be very very surprised if DLO gets the MIP award. If he does, well then the inner dog of DLO will have finally been awakened.

Too many people dislike him for him to win it. What he does on the court doesn't matter much.

You could be right about that, but IMO everyone also loves a redemption story. If he follows the scrip of: I was immature but now I realize my deficiencies and have worked to correct them and backs it up with wins he might be able to pull it off.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Too many people dislike him for him to win it. What he does on the court doesn't matter much.

A lot of the dislike from the national media stemmed from him being a Laker, whether consciously or subconsciously. I'm seeing a lot more positive takes on him now from writers. Didn't Zach Lowe call it a redemption project right after the trade? As if he was putting up Anthony Bennett numbers the first two years...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

A lot of the dislike from the national media stemmed from him being a Laker, whether consciously or subconsciously. I'm seeing a lot more positive takes on him now from writers. Didn't Zach Lowe call it a redemption project right after the trade? As if he was putting up Anthony Bennett numbers the first two years...

maybe it is just perception, but it does feel like I have heard more media members say "I like Russell" or some similar phrase when discussing him or the Nets since he was traded.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Why can't Ingram be the first guy to make an insane rookie to sophomore year jump? I think he's the next great Laker, and all of the greats we have broke their initial expectations.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram and Julius Randle putting in work into the late hours #gymrats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFnsZ2sUQAAYmJD.jpg
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Brandon Ingram

no numbers necessary ...

https://clutchpoints.com/brandon-ingram-still-plans-to-do-workout-with-kobe-bryant/

Ingram wants to diversify his scoring with drills on spot-up shooting drills, as well as working off pick-and-rolls, from the elbows and from the block. After offering positive reviews with the Lakers’ strength and conditioning coaches both past (Tim DiFrancesco) and present (Gunnar Peterson), Ingram plans to add more unspecified amount of strength through continuous weight training. And Ingram remained committed to his anticipated workout with former Lakers star Kobe Bryant that will focus on learning how he watches film, scouts teams and studies player tendencies.

“Everything we do on the basketball court is mental,” Ingram said. “It’s nothing physical.”

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

In addition to study film and watching player's tendencies, I hope Kobe teaches him some footwork. With his length and Kobe's teaching, he can be deadly on the low block.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Brandon Ingram

no numbers necessary ...

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Indeed! bwahaha

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Brandon Ingram and Julius Randle putting in work into the late hours #gymrats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFnsZ2sUQAAYmJD.jpg

Polar opposite body types, lol
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

the latest lakers film room podcast had some interesting tidbits on Ingram from a Lakers beat writer. Apparently the Lakers coaching staff is extremely high on Ingram's upside, while people around the league have mixed opinions. It was hilarious hearing GT trying to extract out of the beat writer the exact criticisms of those who aren't high on him She probably didn't remember exactly. She did mention something about some people questioning his competitiveness, which isn't really a problem for Ingram imo.

It is interesting to know though that the coaching staff is higher on him than other people that have seen him on film. They get to see things that no one else can see, so let's all hope that they are right. I imagine this internal sentiment is what lead Magic to predict that Ingram could be our leading scorer this season.

side note: she also mentioned that they never really planned on playing Russell and Lonzo together. She said that the mindset all along was to draft a new point guard and trade the old one. I wonder who is the chief roster planner now that Mitch is gone. Is it really Magic? That's kind of scary actually. "Draft a new PG, trade the old one" is a really simplistic way of looking at things since neither Russell nor Lonzo are classically "pure" point guards.

Last edited by dao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I think we are going to see an improvement in his FT's this year.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I want to see BI develop Dirk's step-back J. Tatum already has it and it's a potent weapon.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
I want to see BI develop Dirk's step-back J. Tatum already has it and it's a potent weapon.

Tatum also has a kind of similar stroke/release to Dirk, above his head. Although a more concise stroke would help him not get contested so badly at the 3pt line IMO. But yea, without that high release, that move isn't going to be lethal. Kobe, MJ - also masters of the fadeaway who put the ball on top of their head
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
the latest lakers film room podcast had some interesting tidbits on Ingram from a Lakers beat writer. Apparently the Lakers coaching staff is extremely high on Ingram's upside, while people around the league have mixed opinions. It was hilarious hearing GT trying to extract out of the beat writer the exact criticisms of those who aren't high on him She probably didn't remember exactly. She did mention something about some people questioning his competitiveness, which isn't really a problem for Ingram imo.

It is interesting to know though that the coaching staff is higher on him than other people that have seen him on film. They get to see things that no one else can see, so let's all hope that they are right. I imagine this internal sentiment is what lead Magic to predict that Ingram could be our leading scorer this season.

side note: she also mentioned that they never really planned on playing Russell and Lonzo together. She said that the mindset all along was to draft a new point guard and trade the old one. I wonder who is the chief roster planner now that Mitch is gone. Is it really Magic? That's kind of scary actually. "Draft a new PG, trade the old one" is a really simplistic way of looking at things since neither Russell nor Lonzo are classically "pure" point guards.

The bolded is legitimately the least interesting tidbit you could've gathered
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 559, 560, 561 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 560 of 1885
Jump to: