OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 836, 837, 838  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakers4sho wrote:
If he doesn't break down, his peak is probably some form of Eddie Jones lite

That would be a bust IMHO -- I believe he'll surpass that skillset

Eddie Jones as a peak would be fantastic. But I suppose if you're comparing him to Kevin Durant, that's a "bust." Not everyone is destined to be a superstar, and I'm far from convinced BI will be one.

Eddie was my fav. laker and was pissed when he was traded.
But he said Eddie Jones lite...which means 20< ppg in prime, less defense, even LESS clutch. That I would consider very close to being a bust.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
If you're hating on Ingram at this point in his career, you're foolish.

Is it hating if I call him BrickGram cos he’s been throwing up a lot of bricks lately hehe

https://i2.wp.com/i.giphy.com/48FhEMYGWji8.gif?resize=500,323
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I’m 100% sure kuzma is outplaying him and its causing alot of unrational ideas about benching the face of this franchise. Also you guys seem to forget Randle is most likely gone this summer and then we will need a stretch for to help Lonzo with spacing.. who? Kuzma.

PG.BALL
SF/SG.INGRAM
PF.KUZMA
MAX
MAX

The celtics who have a top 3 coach is starting tatum. Don’t tell me tatum is stronger because i’ll laugh. Next to Holford who is an OK rebounder.

We are bless to have Ingram and Kuzma.. You add a guy like PG13 and you have 3. guys who can run with Ball
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

Coach Luke Walton said Ingram is likely putting too much pressure on himself and, as a result, struggling.

Quote:
“He wants to be great so bad and he’s worked so hard that he wants to show everyone how good he is,” Walton said.
“I think because of that he’s had some possessions where he definitely is trying to do too much.

Quote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

Brandon Ingram admits he's pressing and is feeling a "little uptight" on his shot so far. Eager to show everything he's been working on and trying to live up to preseason expectations of being the team's leading scorer this season, Ingram has shot 8-for-30 and has scored 24 points in three preseason. games. Luke Walton said Ingram came into camp a little banged up and it has impacted his individual routine before and after practices. "I feel like offensively it is not going so well, at all," said Ingram, who has been hard on himself. "Kind of figuring out how to do different things on the basketball floor. I know I put in a lot of hard work in during the summer so it got to come sooner or later."

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/09/lakers-brandon-ingram-trying-to-do-too-much-luke-walton-says/
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

He just needs to relax, honestly bring him off the bench next couple games isn't the worst idea....team wise if anything right now we're improving the starting unit if that happens.....when BI relaxes and gets back to what I think most people believe his game in he'll push right back into the starting line up
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Just one of the reasons why it was grossly unfair to expect 20ppg this season.

I don't even like the idea that there are fans that expect him to be "Kobe-like" and just take over scoring like that.

Yeah, it's so ridiculous that some think a "Mamba Mentality" is good for a player without elite talent. There are few things more annoying in basketball than a player with an Alpha dog mentality without the Alpha dog skills.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

What's puzzling about BI's game right now is the fact that he insists upon taking it the hole and forcing up low percentage shots. I understand his struggles from the perimeter, but it seems like BI has the mindset that he can get to the rim at will and finish, which is clearly not the case. He may eventually become a 20 ppg scorer, but it won't be because of his ability to get to the rim.
governator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
What's puzzling about BI's game right now is the fact that he insists upon taking it the hole and forcing up low percentage shots. I understand his struggles from the perimeter, but it seems like BI has the mindset that he can get to the rim at will and finish, which is clearly not the case. He may eventually become a 20 ppg scorer, but it won't be because of his ability to get to the rim.

Randle used to do this too, just bulldoze his way to the rim but now mixing it with mid-ranges and occasional post ups. BI needs to do same and both need to get their jumpers going
laker50
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Ingram just has to work on his jump shot and defense.
And forget about being a go to guy until he is ready.

Those high expectations will just make him another
high first round flop.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Randle used to do this too, just bulldoze his way to the rim but now mixing it with mid-ranges and occasional post ups. BI needs to do same and both need to get their jumpers going

The difference is that Randle could still rely on his elite speed and formidable strength to get him to the rim. He just had trouble finishing but has improved in that area.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

I think that basketball is much more about decision-making than it's usually portrayed as being. For example, on Tuesday he missed 2 pull-up jumpers in the 4th quarter where Gobert was hanging back in the paint. He missed the shot, but it was the correct shot, if that makes sense.

Then, with about a minute left, the same thing happens, and instead of taking the jumper again, he says "(bleep) it, I'm gonna drive anyway" and gets easily swatted by Gobert. It was the wrong shot, but I'd guess that missing the right one twice in a row discouraged him from making the correct read a third time.

SO MUCH hinges on his ability to shoot. There's a huge gap between his work ethic/physical tools and his skill level at this point, and bridging it takes TIME. The guys who blow up out of nowhere are already skilled, that's why all of the hype has been terribly unfair to him. He COULDN'T be the player that Magic wanted him to be. Not yet, anyway.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

my bad on Pincus. I had like 30 seconds before I had to leave and saw it on Lakers Nation so I didn't associate it w/Pincus - but it was certainly interesting enough to post. The actual quote is interesting though, after Magic touting BI as a 20 ppg guy, and BI being designated a captain and so forth, now we're getting little slips here and there from inside the Lakers - possibly clearing the way to eventually trade BI? This front office isn't going to wait 2-3 years for BI to develop and it seems obvious he needs that time so... it'll be interesting what other things "leak" from "insiders" as we get towards the trade deadline.
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I think that basketball is much more about decision-making than it's usually portrayed as being. For example, on Tuesday he missed 2 pull-up jumpers in the 4th quarter where Gobert was hanging back in the paint. He missed the shot, but it was the correct shot, if that makes sense.

Then, with about a minute left, the same thing happens, and instead of taking the jumper again, he says "(bleep) it, I'm gonna drive anyway" and gets easily swatted by Gobert. It was the wrong shot, but I'd guess that missing the right one twice in a row discouraged him from making the correct read a third time.

SO MUCH hinges on his ability to shoot. There's a huge gap between his work ethic/physical tools and his skill level at this point, and bridging it takes TIME. The guys who blow up out of nowhere are already skilled, that's why all of the hype has been terribly unfair to him. He COULDN'T be the player that Magic wanted him to be. Not yet, anyway.

I guess the question is whether the pressure will hasten his improvement or kill his confidence and cause him to make pressured (poor) decisions. In either case the next couple months are going to be rough. Just depends on the trajectory he takes. A lot has to do with his internal psychology but also his support system. Does he feel the love around him or not kind of thing. Luke and his staff (BK, Simon, Mermuys) seem like a good group to be that structure but there's also the specter of management and their involvement. Remains to be seen if Magic is a true mentor or looking out for #1.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Well said GT. So much of BI's offensive potential hinges on his ability to shoot well from the perimeter. I agree that he needs to continue to take the correct shots out there whether or not he makes them. I'd rather see him take good looks from the perimeter as opposed to forcing up bad shots in the paint.

From a skill standpoint, he's far behind Kuzma. I know others will mention that Kuz is 2 years older, but 2 years from now, will BI have Kuz's perimeter game, in-between game, ambidextrous finishing ability in the paint, spin moves going both directions, etc.? Those are just skills, but we can't forget Kuz's natural feel for the game as well which allows him to use those skills in the appropriate context. BI has a long way to go...
bkim10
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

I just don't understand why he drives to the basket like EVERY single time.... like what is up with that.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I guess the question is whether the pressure will hasten his improvement or kill his confidence and cause him to make pressured (poor) decisions. In either case the next couple months are going to be rough. Just depends on the trajectory he takes. A lot has to do with his internal psychology but also his support system. Does he feel the love around him or not kind of thing. Luke and his staff (BK, Simon, Mermuys) seem like a good group to be that structure but there's also the specter of management and their involvement. Remains to be seen if Magic is a true mentor or looking out for #1.

I hope he's strong enough to handle it but some of the things the team is doing to him... naming him captain and making him a vocal leader... it feels like these things were somewhat handed to him - regardless of how hard he worked in the offseason. All of the guys worked hard in the offseason but the team is kind of elevating him above other players saying he is "untouchable" and so forth, meanwhile Julius is seeing guys on other teams get contracts and he is being told our cap space is "sacred". Other guys produce more on the court but now it's, "you have to pretend to pay attention to BI when he speaks". Sometimes this kind of stuff leads to unspoken anger among different players. BI seems like a really good guy but if you're on the Lakers and you're not BI? How are you feeling right about now? Secure? Confident you'll even be a Laker next season - regardless of how well you play?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

bkim10 wrote:
I just don't understand why he drives to the basket like EVERY single time.... like what is up with that.

He has no confidence in his J, and I think he believes his bread and butter is getting to the rim.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

They probably dont have the guts to do it. But, I would start Kuz and put him on the bench. He was developing just fine toward the end of the season and he was figuring things out in terms of playing an all around complete game. His game is Andre Iguodala, not Kevin Durant. The sooner that he and the FO realize that, he will develop very nicely.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

I keep hearing reports that he is banged up. It may be the reason for his horrific play but if he's that banged up then sit out and rest.
trablos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
trablos wrote:
I'm glad Magic said what he said. I took it more of a compliment/motivation in regards to Brandon's potential than a literal 20 ppg quota with repercussions if he doesn't reach it. Look how it lit a fire under BI, would you rather have management say "yeah he's kinda good but I don't think he's ready for the big leagues yet".

I remember a certain young overly-ambitious SG who had the balls to airball 4 strait times in the biggest game of his life at that time. BI has shows that he can learn and improve, these struggles in some experimental preseason games will only make him that much better.

That certain young SG was FAAAAAARRR more skilled and athletically gifted as a senior in high school than BI is right now. Not a good comparison. You can have a "Mamba Mentality" all you want, but if you don't have the ungodly skill to back it up like the OG had, it's absolutely useless.

The point is, BI is willing to take that upon himself and be more aggressive. He had a shift in mentality at the end of last season which he said himself. No he's no kobe, but he has proven that he can learn from his mistakes so him not being afraid to be aggressive and making these mistakes earlier rather than later will only benefit him more in the long run.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
trablos wrote:
I'm glad Magic said what he said. I took it more of a compliment/motivation in regards to Brandon's potential than a literal 20 ppg quota with repercussions if he doesn't reach it. Look how it lit a fire under BI, would you rather have management say "yeah he's kinda good but I don't think he's ready for the big leagues yet".

I remember a certain young overly-ambitious SG who had the balls to airball 4 strait times in the biggest game of his life at that time. BI has shows that he can learn and improve, these struggles in some experimental preseason games will only make him that much better.

That certain young SG was FAAAAAARRR more skilled and athletically gifted as a senior in high school than BI is right now. Not a good comparison. You can have a "Mamba Mentality" all you want, but if you don't have the ungodly skill to back it up like the OG had, it's absolutely useless.

The point is, BI is willing to take that upon himself and be more aggressive. He had a shift in mentality at the end of last season which he said himself. No he's no kobe, but he has proven that he can learn from his mistakes so him not being afraid to be aggressive and making these mistakes earlier rather than later will only benefit him more in the long run.

I think some of us have hazy memories regarding Kobe's early years. His talent was undeniable, but he was frustrating to watch in those early years because he forced things too often. With regards to BI, his measurables are undeniable, but you can't say the same thing about his talent right now. BI needs a lot of skill development at this early stage of his career. Kobe at the same age was extremely advanced with regards to his skill level and really just needed to get stronger and improve his decision-making/shot selection.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
trablos wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
trablos wrote:

I think some of us have hazy memories regarding Kobe's early years. His talent was undeniable, but he was frustrating to watch in those early years because he forced things too often. With regards to BI, his measurables are undeniable, but you can't say the same thing about his talent right now. BI needs a lot of skill development at this early stage of his career. Kobe at the same age was extremely advanced with regards to his skill level and really just needed to get stronger and improve his decision-making/shot selection.

Yeah, Kobe just needed to gain game experience (in addition to strength) but you could see the talent every time he stepped on the floor. Particularly by year two. He just needed to know when to pull one of the many tools he had out in order to compromise defenses. With Ingram, there are brief flashes of what could be where you can see how advantageous his length would be if he were stronger and more skilled. And I'd say the skill refinement is more important than the strength for him to take the next step from his rookie season. It wouldn't be that bad when he's getting stuffed on drives if he could consistently hit the open midrange J. Especially since that would help make his drives to the rim easier.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2019 wrote:
watchME wrote:
Seeing these posts preaching that Ingram gets benched depress me He is our best prospect no doubt about it. He is the one guy who could possibly give you 25ppg 4 years down the road (He will be 23..a kid).His struggles are from trying to pull new moves with a new mechanics in-game. It will take him a few games to get confortable with himself. I wish he would focus more on defense (denying the ball on the best wing) why not develop him on that end? KCP wont be here. Also let him run point for the second unit. I expect 15 ppg for the season.

the future is:

PG.Ball
SG.PG13
SF.Ingram
PF.Kuzma
C.Cousins / Rsndle

i would try to get cousins, or
If rsndle can expand his range and learn to defend the paint i would try him at center. It is all about effort, look at holford for the celtics, or love for the cavs)
Also the whole team csn help out we have very active playerd. He is not a guy you want running an ISo or posting up. Play D, Rebound (specially offensive), Transition and open jumpers.

If he doesn’t then bye bye randle, Lopez stays.

But stop with the kuzma stuff, he id a PF and Ingram can play SG or SF.

Randle is not a PF on offense.. not in todays nba

I respect your optimism on Ingram's scoring but I never see more than 22ppg. It's only one basket away but crossing or meeting the threshold of 25 seems insane.

Ironically, Kuz may be the our current young guy who can score big one day.

Also, I hope PG actually considers leaving OKC at this point.

PG13 has never averaged more than 23ppg in any season as the primary option in Indy, and he's the upper bounds for Ingram as a scorer, imo. Ingram just hasn't shown the ability to put up enough good shots per game so far in his career to project him to be a 25ppg scorer unless he plays 40 mpg.

Kuzma is comparatively effortless, and buckets just seem to find him. Predicting Kuz to average 25ppg seems out there, but barring stratospheric improvement from Ingram, I don't see Brandon ever being as effortless as Kuzma is at getting up good shots.

Perfectly said, BVH.

That is all well and good, but can we wait until BI is 22 before we compare him to Kuz. How do we know that BI won't have the effortless stroke and more moves when he is 2 years older? Given his talent and work ethic, I think that BI will look a lot like Kuz when he is 22 in terms of scoring potential.

In watching that last game of his, he played great in the first 3 quarters and melted down in the 4'th.

I don't think he will do that again. The coaches have said it, he is pressing. He is trying too hard. It will come around for him and the first 3 quarters or the last game indicate to me that he is close to getting over trying too hard issue. Also, he is dealing with some minor injuries and has missed practice time.

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
The Juggernaut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is simply playing the wrong style of basketball for where his skill level is at currently. Luke needs to step up and make it clear to Ingram that he needs to dial back the isolations and use more of his playmaking and court vision to make the smart basketball decisions. His mid range game was money at the end of last season, I'd like to see him playing offball more like Derozan to set up him mid range and make quicker decisions with the ball rather than going off the dribble.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
If you're hating on Ingram at this point in his career, you're foolish.

Is it hating if I call him BrickGram cos he’s been throwing up a lot of bricks lately hehe

https://i2.wp.com/i.giphy.com/48FhEMYGWji8.gif?resize=500,323

Well since he's having a hard time getting shots to go in, how about Outgram?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 836, 837, 838  Next
Page 650 of 838
Jump to: