OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 958, 959, 960 ... 1226, 1227, 1228  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 36612

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Would like to see more 3 point attempts and of course better FT%. I think that will take him to 20ppg. However it depends on who we get/don’t get in FA. If we get pg13/lbj he will have a tougher time getting to 20ppg next year.


Yeah, PPG is largely a function of opportunity, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better combination of factors than he's had this year in that respect, in terms of touches, lack of other perimeter scorers, minutes, and pace.
_________________
Sign up for The Athletic through this link to get 40% off your first year's subscription: LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AY2043
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 9771

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

He had a really rough rookie year, and I’m not going to lie, I was a little worried for sure.

But I think at this point, it’s an absolute certainty that at worst he’s going to have a very long and productive career.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Apr 2016
Posts: 599

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Would like to see more 3 point attempts and of course better FT%. I think that will take him to 20ppg. However it depends on who we get/don’t get in FA. If we get pg13/lbj he will have a tougher time getting to 20ppg next year.


Yeah, PPG is largely a function of opportunity, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better combination of factors than he's had this year in that respect, in terms of touches, lack of other perimeter scorers, minutes, and pace.

I don't think any players are ever going to average 20 ppg in Luke's system, and I disagree that our guys have an opportunity to put up big numbers that they're not capitalizing on. That's just not the way Luke wants the guys to play. The Lakers have 7 guys averaging 10 or more FGA (JC is gone, but I'm counting IT because you know it's going to be up there). DLo would have averaged 20 last year on any other team, but he didn't get the minutes. Same with Randle this year. Any time guys start putting up numbers at the detriment of the team, they get benched.

The point is, we don't have a "big numbers on a bad team" system going here. Given this level of talent, it's the right move for staying competitive. Whether or not that's the right move for development... that depends on IF our FO is smart enough to realize this is what's going on. Right now, we're looking like the Orlando Magic used to be; a bunch of promising young guys running a system with none of them "looking like stars" because they didn't have the opportunity to put up big numbers. Now Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo are tearing it up on other teams because their development finally caught up with their expected productivity, and their own FO wasn't smart enough to see it and traded them away for pennies because they didn't want to pay them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 20653
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram is essentially what people expected out of the over hyped Wes Johnson... so we have a special young player and we are lucky Ingram didn’t turn out to be like Wesley Johnson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 11427

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Lebron/PG will open the court for him for more drives. He should get a few easy baskets each game from that. Who's going to leave either on the 3 point line? He will have less touches, but he'll be more efficient and wont have to force the issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 6550
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 1885

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I like what i’ve Seen from BI, not only in terms of his game on the floor but his maturity off the court. His interview from the rising stars weekend was actually good, he was relaxed and confident...none of that bashful young guy stuff anymore.

He’s improved every aspect of his game, although his handles and D are still lagging behind where they should be. If we add PG next year he will be challenged to hit 20 PPG, but I could see a very consistent 18/5/5 shooting 38% from 3 as a realistic expectation from him over the next few years.

Going from the worst player in the league pre all star break last year to someone who is an average NBA player with remaining upside in one year is great, speaks to his work ethic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Nov 2017
Posts: 2368

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

First post is all the proof in the pudding.

Ingram = star by age 23.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 2435

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.


I care if it's 16 or 25.

That's a huge difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Posts: 631

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.


I care if it's 16 or 25.

That's a huge difference.


Cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5830
Location: France

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

jumpinmp wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.


I care if it's 16 or 25.

That's a huge difference.


Cool.


Well it's a huge difference though. It's like Kawhi vs Batum. Not the same caliber.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13635

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
I like what i’ve Seen from BI, not only in terms of his game on the floor but his maturity off the court. His interview from the rising stars weekend was actually good, he was relaxed and confident...none of that bashful young guy stuff anymore.

He’s improved every aspect of his game, although his handles and D are still lagging behind where they should be. If we add PG next year he will be challenged to hit 20 PPG, but I could see a very consistent 18/5/5 shooting 38% from 3 as a realistic expectation from him over the next few years.

Going from the worst player in the league pre all star break last year to someone who is an average NBA player with remaining upside in one year is great, speaks to his work ethic.

I'd love for him to get more rebounds than 5 though. He should be an elite rebounder positionally. Hopefully when he bulks up
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16368

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject:

Don't expect Ingram to bulk up to Giannis levels. That'd be a heavy expectation. Not that he can't. But I wouldn't expect it. He also doesn't really need to, to be effective.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 10851

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.


For the rest of the season I would to see him find that balance between shooting 3s and driving. The 3s should open lanes for him now. When he was hesitant to catch and shoot from 3pt defender started staying back to stop the drive. The ability to keep the defender on his hills will be the difference between being a teens and 20+ppg player. It'll also get him more assist opportunities.
_________________
Coach: Luuuuuuuuuuuke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9199

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
At this rate, given that he is already playing this way at only 20 years old, Ingram should easily be a 20+ PPG/6+ RPG/5+ APG guy in his career as a floor. That is an all-star level player floor IMO. Look at where Randle is now at age 23. Give Ingram another three years too - who can argue he won't be able to average 4-5+ PPG, 1-2+ RPG and 1-2+ APG with another 2-3 years of experience under his belt. Gotta love his progress.

I'm starting to see a 25/7/5 player one day. Key will be his efficiency (3pt shot) and defense. His D will be the difference between all-star player and superstar. However, I think he's going to eventually be one of those guys that gets to the line A LOT. His length just begs guys to inadvertently foul him. He's shooting FTs a lot better too, so I don't think that's a concern any longer IMO.

So... we can expect him to avg better than Kobe's career avg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
At this rate, given that he is already playing this way at only 20 years old, Ingram should easily be a 20+ PPG/6+ RPG/5+ APG guy in his career as a floor. That is an all-star level player floor IMO. Look at where Randle is now at age 23. Give Ingram another three years too - who can argue he won't be able to average 4-5+ PPG, 1-2+ RPG and 1-2+ APG with another 2-3 years of experience under his belt. Gotta love his progress.

I'm starting to see a 25/7/5 player one day. Key will be his efficiency (3pt shot) and defense. His D will be the difference between all-star player and superstar. However, I think he's going to eventually be one of those guys that gets to the line A LOT. His length just begs guys to inadvertently foul him. He's shooting FTs a lot better too, so I don't think that's a concern any longer IMO.

So... we can expect him to avg better than Kobe's career avg


He has the ability, but I expect the overall team to be better next year so he'll get more efficient, but his totals won't grow as much. Other guys will score too.

If we get a max guy or two, then that will take from his attempts, plus guys like Lonzo and Kyle will improve and score more. We should keep Randle and he's still improving offensively. We could be a very effective offensive team and our Defense won't be far behind. It's more about health from here on out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 3477

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

You guys are to caught up in BI's scoring average. That will come and we have to be patient. We should just enjoy his path to greatness and his versatility on both sides of the court. His development (along with our other pups) can not be underestimated. We are finally rounding the corner to being relevant again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 36612

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
I don't think any players are ever going to average 20 ppg in Luke's system, and I disagree that our guys have an opportunity to put up big numbers that they're not capitalizing on. That's just not the way Luke wants the guys to play. The Lakers have 7 guys averaging 10 or more FGA (JC is gone, but I'm counting IT because you know it's going to be up there). DLo would have averaged 20 last year on any other team, but he didn't get the minutes. Same with Randle this year. Any time guys start putting up numbers at the detriment of the team, they get benched.

The point is, we don't have a "big numbers on a bad team" system going here. Given this level of talent, it's the right move for staying competitive. Whether or not that's the right move for development... that depends on IF our FO is smart enough to realize this is what's going on. Right now, we're looking like the Orlando Magic used to be; a bunch of promising young guys running a system with none of them "looking like stars" because they didn't have the opportunity to put up big numbers. Now Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo are tearing it up on other teams because their development finally caught up with their expected productivity, and their own FO wasn't smart enough to see it and traded them away for pennies because they didn't want to pay them.


Yes, but Ingram isn't one of those guys that Luke benches if he's getting points to the detriment of the team. He's being afforded the opportunity to score 20 ppg. I'd imagine that continues if the Lakers don't sign anyone significant, but I think it'll be a lot harder if they do sign even one max guy.
_________________
Sign up for The Athletic through this link to get 40% off your first year's subscription: LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 6555

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Just go back to shooting threes, please. That's all I ask for, 20 PPG be damned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 249

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

One thing I noticed from Bi is that he doesn't play with the same energy as he did back in DUKE and High School. Part of it may be the scheme and his responsibilities but he has mentioned recently that he respects Russ Westbrook's intensity at all times on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He seems determined to conserve energy and trusts the process as he understands that the regular season and the future is more important than an All-Star game. Three days of games and all the events is definitely taxing for anyone and especially a skinny 20 year old.

If you go back to watch his games, B.I. was all over the place, going up for rebounds, blocks, attacking with aggression. We all know he is young and the NBA is a different animal but it just proves the point that he is trying to withstand the rigorous schedule of the NBA. His dunks, explosion, energy, slashing, defense were just eye popping. Next point and one that many has said is, look at what he has done at 20 and I can't wait to see what happens once he grows into his body. He is putting in the hard work and understands that what it takes. That aggressive, emotional, energetic B.I. is just waiting to emerge, oh boy, once it clicks! It only proves that he is no where even close to his potential.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 4318
Location: Long Beach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
One thing I noticed from Bi is that he doesn't play with the same energy as he did back in DUKE and High School. Part of it may be the scheme and his responsibilities but he has mentioned recently that he respects Russ Westbrook's intensity at all times on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He seems determined to conserve energy and trusts the process as he understands that the regular season and the future is more important than an All-Star game. Three days of games and all the events is definitely taxing for anyone and especially a skinny 20 year old.

If you go back to watch his games, B.I. was all over the place, going up for rebounds, blocks, attacking with aggression. We all know he is young and the NBA is a different animal but it just proves the point that he is trying to withstand the rigorous schedule of the NBA. His dunks, explosion, energy, slashing, defense were just eye popping. Next point and one that many has said is, look at what he has done at 20 and I can't wait to see what happens once he grows into his body. He is putting in the hard work and understands that what it takes. That aggressive, emotional, energetic B.I. is just waiting to emerge, oh boy, once it clicks! It only proves that he is no where even close to his potential.


Yea I call him bouncy Ingram at times.. When he's bouncy from the start of the game it's usually a great night for him. Not sure what determines whether or not he is or isn't.. could be health related or fatigue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 93609
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Well he’s also going up against more physical and grown men. He’s only 20.
_________________
We have LBJ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 249

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well he’s also going up against more physical and grown men. He’s only 20.


True. He has an understanding of his limits and where and when to attack. We all want more and more but B.I. is doing the right things and has his view set on the process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 6550
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jumpinmp wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
Yeah I actually see a super efficient player who gets to do what he's comfortable doing as opposed to the times he's asked to force right now... I don't care if it's 16 or 25 points. I'm more interested in impact and effectiveness.

I also think that, if he doesn't have work as hard on offense, he will really become a defensive beast because he can spend more energy there.

Regardless of how the team is build and his role, I only see a win for the Lakers in terms of where BI is going.


I care if it's 16 or 25.

That's a huge difference.


Cool.

This is assuming that you bring in Lebron and/or PG13 and/or Kuzma takes on more scoring... basically, you want the best scorers doing the scoring. If BI is the 4th best scorer on the team, he shouldn't average 25.

There's only so much food on the table.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 6550
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
awntawn wrote:
I don't think any players are ever going to average 20 ppg in Luke's system, and I disagree that our guys have an opportunity to put up big numbers that they're not capitalizing on. That's just not the way Luke wants the guys to play. The Lakers have 7 guys averaging 10 or more FGA (JC is gone, but I'm counting IT because you know it's going to be up there). DLo would have averaged 20 last year on any other team, but he didn't get the minutes. Same with Randle this year. Any time guys start putting up numbers at the detriment of the team, they get benched.

The point is, we don't have a "big numbers on a bad team" system going here. Given this level of talent, it's the right move for staying competitive. Whether or not that's the right move for development... that depends on IF our FO is smart enough to realize this is what's going on. Right now, we're looking like the Orlando Magic used to be; a bunch of promising young guys running a system with none of them "looking like stars" because they didn't have the opportunity to put up big numbers. Now Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo are tearing it up on other teams because their development finally caught up with their expected productivity, and their own FO wasn't smart enough to see it and traded them away for pennies because they didn't want to pay them.


Yes, but Ingram isn't one of those guys that Luke benches if he's getting points to the detriment of the team. He's being afforded the opportunity to score 20 ppg. I'd imagine that continues if the Lakers don't sign anyone significant, but I think it'll be a lot harder if they do sign even one max guy.

That's because his backup is Brewer. If we had better depth at the SF position, it would be different.

Lonzo had no competition and BI still doesn't.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."


Last edited by silkwilkes on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 958, 959, 960 ... 1226, 1227, 1228  Next
Page 959 of 1228
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB