OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Glad to see that the team will give him a chance this year. I want a healthy KL AND BI. I want it all!!!

This is all I wanted. One year, or even a few months for these guys to show how far they've come after another summer of hard work. Thankfully, cooler minds prevailed in the FO and we didn't feel pressured to make a deal at lesser value for us. And I'm glad they're staying true to everything they've preached about having a long-term vision for the team and wanting sustainability above all (i.e., the opposite of what the Cavs did). It should be obvious to everyone that toppling this Warriors juggernaut is going to take more than one summer of moves, especially for us given where we started from. No realistic trade was going to automatically take us to that level. We can't afford to throw away any more assets, and our best shot has always been keeping the young guys short of a great deal presenting itself to us, PLUS acquiring star free agents (i.e., what the Celtics did).

It's probably taboo to heap more praise on Lebron around here, but I'll say it anyway. How amazing is it for us that he not only signed for 3 years minimum and came by himself, but was completely in sync with the FO's long-term rebuilding plan and putting faith in the young guys, even if it meant "redshirting" Year 1 - with a guy like Kawhi there for the taking! Especially when this is a guy who's historically been impatient and done the exact opposite, strong-arming his teams into making desperate win-now moves at the cost of future flexibility. I really can't believe how things ended up turning out with him, but kudos to LBJ.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Glad to see that the team will give him a chance this year. I want a healthy KL AND BI. I want it all!!!

This is all I wanted. One year, or even a few months for these guys to show how far they've come after another summer of hard work. Thankfully, cooler minds prevailed in the FO and we didn't feel pressured to make a deal at lesser value for us. And I'm glad they're staying true to everything they've preached about having a long-term vision for the team and wanting sustainability above all (i.e., the opposite of what the Cavs did). It should be obvious to everyone that toppling this Warriors juggernaut is going to take more than one summer of moves, especially for us given where we started from. No realistic trade was going to automatically take us to that level. We can't afford to throw away any more assets, and our best shot has always been keeping the young guys short of a great deal presenting itself to us, PLUS acquiring star free agents (i.e., what the Celtics did).

It's probably taboo to heap more praise on Lebron around here, but I'll say it anyway. How amazing is it for us that he not only signed for 3 years minimum and came by himself, but was completely in sync with the FO's long-term rebuilding plan and putting faith in the young guys, even if it meant "redshirting" Year 1 - with a guy like Kawhi there for the taking! Especially when this is a guy who's historically been impatient and done the exact opposite, strong-arming his teams into making desperate win-now moves at the cost of future flexibility. I really can't believe how things ended up turning out with him, but kudos to LBJ.

Yup. At least give the kids a season to show whether they can play with LBJ.

Props to LBJ for having that kind of patience. He didn't do that when he rejoined the Cavs.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Another benefit of waiting - if some of these kids end up developing as expected (I know, a completely unheard of concept!) during the first few months of the season and playing off of Lebron, all of a sudden their value goes up and the cost of dealing for another star or even Kawhi himself before the trade deadline goes down. So now instead of having to give up a BI, Kuz, Hart, etc. all in one deal because we have no other choice, we can get away with playing hardball and cutting our offer off at just Kuz without the other team instantly hanging up.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Props to LBJ for having that kind of patience. He didn't do that when he rejoined the Cavs.

It was either Cowherd or Skip that said recently "Lebron needs a mental break. Let me just breathe for a season. Get my feet set in LA LA Land and chill for a season, play with the kids, then go hard again". I'm ok with that
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It was either Cowherd or Skip that said recently "Lebron needs a mental break. Let me just breathe for a season. Get my feet set in LA LA Land and chill for a season, play with the kids, then go hard again". I'm ok with that

Yeah. 7-8 straight NBA Finals is grueling.

Time to gather the troops again. No one thought we'd take down the Warriors this year anyways, even with PG13.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
epak wrote:
https://youtu.be/nSnAzw3_nXo

Why BI why?

BI is a natural born mumble rapper. 🤣

Hey, it worked for Mase...for about a year.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Man I know talent when I see it. This kid is a growth stock and he is trending up and up. He will DOMINATE next season. With rondo, lance and bron on this team their nastiness will rub off on him and he will be more aggressive. Kuzma too. Oooooo thank god we kept BI.

I’m sure he could average 20ppg but the way this team is built, I’m more interested in more 3pt attempts and lock down D. We all know he can get his shot off whenever he wants.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

or else...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

1. more 3s per game. 39% was nice but on such low # of attempts.
2. get that FT% up and more FT attempts per game.
3. better off ball defense, was routinely back cut and stuff.
4. continue moving the ball and making decisive moves. I liked how he acquitted himself when he was playing point forward.

Those are a few things I'd love to see.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
1. more 3s per game. 39% was nice but on such low # of attempts.
2. get that FT% up and more FT attempts per game.
3. better off ball defense, was routinely back cut and stuff.
4. continue moving the ball and making decisive moves. I liked how he acquitted himself when he was playing point forward.

Those are a few things I'd love to see.

All of those, plus this is the year I'd like to see him get those steal/block/deflection numbers up. He has way too much length to not be more impactful on defense in those categories.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. 7-8 straight NBA Finals is grueling.

Time to gather the troops again. No one thought we'd take down the Warriors this year anyways, even with PG13.

I don’t think there is any chance that LeBron goes to a team without believing they are a legitimate contender. He just carried an inferior team to the finals. The Rockets took the Warriors to 7 games and showed they aren’t invincible and despite how dominant and great they are, it’s not gonna last forever. The long seasons are wearing on them. They’re already lasting longer than the 3 peat Lakers who lost before the Payton/Malone year(many forget that).

I think most people are underrating the roster that has been put around LeBron(or LeBron ). Many are looking at what they can’t do instead of what they can. Multiple players who can set a fast pace with the best transition player in the world and other very good transition players. Incredible defensive versatility up and down the roster. Great passers all over the place. This Lakers team is already legit. They are an underdog against the Warriors for sure. Boston is likely better and Toronto too after the Kawhi move. If Houston keeps Capela, I’ll put them a notch above as well. But besides that, I don’t think you can confidently say they are better than the Lakers. I also don’t think you can say the Lakers don’t have a chance to beat any of the teams who I consider better in a 7 game series. They can compete with anybody and I expect them to do so.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I want to see more point Ingram this season, he was incredible in that stretch he had
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

"YR 3 BI"
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I want to see more point Ingram this season, he was incredible in that stretch he had

i want to see more 3pt attempts within the system
above good defense

points i don't care as we have new alpha on the team
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

above good defense

I too, would like to see more point god Ingram.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
The pressure is on BI to prove he can be a franchise player. In his third season, KD averaged 30/8/3 and played all 82 games. I'd like to see BI average 20+ with the open looks he'll get as well as become a lock down defender.

Just stop, man. There is no pressure on him to prove he's a franchise player at all. The Lakers have their franchise player already. And stop trying to set him up for failure by posting those Durant numbers. He’s not an elite scorer like Durant was and probably never will be. That doesn't mean he’s some failure that you have to get rid of. You're being ridiculous.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
The pressure is on BI to prove he can be a franchise player. In his third season, KD averaged 30/8/3 and played all 82 games. I'd like to see BI average 20+ with the open looks he'll get as well as become a lock down defender.

Just stop, man. There is no pressure on him to prove he's a franchise player at all. The Lakers have their franchise player already. And stop trying to set him up for failure by posting those Durant numbers. He’s not an elite scorer like Durant was and probably never will be. That doesn't mean he’s some failure that you have to get rid of. You're being ridiculous.

The pressure is on him to prove he is a solid #2 or an excellent #3... which he might already be.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

The pressure's only on if you think Magic doesn't value the young talent like he should and is constantly on a "If they aren't an all-star by their 3rd year get rid of them/undervalue them." kick.

Which would suck tremendously. As then he'd be like the kind of GM that lets go of guys right before their breakout seasons cause 'it didn't take that long' for himself.

Let's hope that's not the case.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

above good defense

I think justsomelakerfan might have meant "point guard".. not "points"
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Dumhead wrote:
Judah wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

The pressure is on him to prove he is a solid #2 or an excellent #3... which he might already be.

I don't think there's any pressure on him at all.. He showed growth last season, I'm sure they're expecting him to show growth this season as well. No one's coming out saying he needs to prove he's a franchise player, no one is saying he needs to be the number 2 guy..
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The pressure's only on if you think Magic doesn't value the young talent like he should and is constantly on a "If they aren't an all-star by their 3rd year get rid of them/undervalue them." kick.

Which would suck tremendously. As then he'd be like the kind of GM that lets go of guys right before their breakout seasons cause 'it didn't take that long' for himself.

🤨 I think the fact that George ended up becoming a Thunder and Kawhi a Raptor (even after already securing LeBron) is incredible proof that Magic does, in fact, value the young talent. You could even make the case that he values the young talent too much since he's willing to gamble like this.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

This year will be Brandon/Kingdom!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Dumhead wrote:
Judah wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

I don't think there's any pressure on him at all.. He showed growth last season, I'm sure they're expecting him to show growth this season as well. No one's coming out saying he needs to prove he's a franchise player, no one is saying he needs to be the number 2 guy..

There’s pressure on all the young core to improve. BI especially IMO, considering he’s not the current FOs guy and he didn’t meet the (unrealistic) expectations placed on him last year. Magic gave these guys one more season to prove what they have. If this season doesn’t go well, I would guess the young guys start getting shipped out. I expect this season to go well though.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:

🤨 I think the fact that George ended up becoming a Thunder and Kawhi a Raptor (even after already securing LeBron) is incredible proof that Magic does, in fact, value the young talent. You could even make the case that he values the young talent too much since he's willing to gamble like this.

Magic has faith in the young core. He has put pressure on them to prove him right this season with the moves he’s made(and not made).
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Dumhead wrote:
Judah wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

There’s pressure on all the young core to improve. BI especially IMO, considering he’s not the current FOs guy and he didn’t meet the (unrealistic) expectations placed on him last year. Magic gave these guys one more season to prove what they have. If this season doesn’t go well, I would guess the young guys start getting shipped out. I expect this season to go well though.

Everything points to Ingram being Magic's favorite, "not the current FO's guy" doesn't mean (bleep)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1107 of 1885
Jump to: