OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1150, 1151, 1152  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If he could:

1. play 75+ games,
2. improve on the defensive end,
3. increase his 3s to about 4-4.5 a game at least 35-36%,
4. increase his FT%.

I think the PPG guess is just too uncertain with LBJ coming here and so many new pieces. I think 18/5/4 is a real possibility this year.

Playing with LBJ is going to take a lot of opportunities to shoot--since LBJ will be taking his share of shots--but should lead to a higher quality shot. If BI averaged 18 ppg with higher efficiency that would be a great improvement. The Lakers also have Kuzma, KCP (who is on a one-year contract and needs production this year), Hart, Svi, and Beasley who are going to be trying to take their fair share of shots too. Hopefully, Magic's plan for the offense will help smooth that out.

I think by not being forced into a "#1" option he will shine even more. I think the toll of doing that wore him down last year.

Your take is "spot on."

Scientists say that the universe is full of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.--Unknown
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If he could:

1. play 75+ games,
4. increase his FT%.

I think the PPG guess is just too uncertain with LBJ coming here and so many new pieces. I think 18/5/4 is a real possibility this year.

Playing with LBJ is going to take a lot of opportunities to shoot--since LBJ will be taking his share of shots--but should lead to a higher quality shot. If BI averaged 18 ppg with higher efficiency that would be a great improvement. The Lakers also have Kuzma, KCP (who is on a one-year contract and needs production this year), Hart, Svi, and Beasley who are going to be trying to take their fair share of shots too. Hopefully, Magic's plan for the offense will help smooth that out.

I think by not being forced into a "#1" option he will shine even more. I think the toll of doing that wore him down last year.

Your take is "spot on."

I think he will have a lot of "spot up" 3s this year. Initially I worried about BI the most b/c most of us thought it was LBJ/PG13. But now BI slides into the #2 role and I just really believe his life will be so much easier and he will be even more efficient.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

I think his number might be about the same this next year, only because we have Lebron and a lot of depth. 18/5/4 sounds about right; if BI makes the big improvement in defense, I think that is what will make him the second best player on the team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If he could:

1. play 75+ games,
4. increase his FT%.

I agree, I would rather see less ppg on more efficient shots. Ingram will be 21 this season, I would rather see him develop an efficient game than put up numbers with only a few offensive moves. And improve defensively. He means more to us at age 24 than age 21.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

Year 3 should be a nice jump for BI, even if the counting stats may not show it. Playing 75+ games is a must as this team will be going to the playoffs.

Year 4 BI, now that's the guy I'm hoping will break through the 20ppg+ threshold.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

BI will be better next season but getting 19.00ppg will be tricky especially under Luke's system, unless Lebron sits out a bunch of games and BI explodes during his absence.

Historically the 1st and 2nd options of teams where Lebron goes to, takes a hit on their FGA per game and not the other way around.

But if he can beat the odds and raise his FGA to about 15 per game from 12.9 last season while improving his FG% and efficiency all around, then 19ppg isn't out of reach but forget about 21 or 23ppg. He isn't getting there at least not this coming season.

A more realistic projection would be around 17-18 ppg.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
BI will be better next season but getting 19.00ppg will be tricky especially under Luke's system, unless Lebron sits out a bunch of games and BI explodes during his absence.

Historically the 1st and 2nd options of teams where Lebron goes to, takes a hit on their FGA per game and not the other way around.

But if he can beat the odds and raise his FGA to about 15 per game from 12.9 last season while improving his FG% and efficiency all around, then 19ppg isn't out of reach but forget about 21 or 23ppg. He isn't getting there at least not this coming season.

If he simply shoots 2-2.5 more 3s a game, and raises his FT%, he can easily get to 18-19ppg.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
3baller wrote:

If he simply shoots 2-2.5 more 3s a game, and raises his FT%, he can easily
get to 18-19ppg.

Running Luke's offense w/ LBJ, Ball & Rondo, it's quite possible that Slenderman, along with other Lakers, will have a great all-around season.
BI has quietly worked is buns off during the summer and will be ready to compete at a high level.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
3baller wrote:

If he simply shoots 2-2.5 more 3s a game, and raises his FT%, he can easily get to 18-19ppg.

That's exactly what I said. Shooting 2-2.5 shots more a game would mean he takes 14.9-15.4 FGA per game from his 12.9 FGA last season. Getting those extra touches now that he's only 2nd or 3rd option would be the tricky part with our depth + Lebron
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
3baller wrote:

That's exactly what I said. Shooting 2-2.5 shots more a game would mean he takes 14.9-15.4 FGA per game from his 12.9 FGA last season. Getting those extra touches now that he's only 2nd or 3rd option would be the tricky part with our depth + Lebron

I'm saying more 3s, not necessarily more overall shots (agree that getting many more shots will be tougher). I don't have the splits of 3s/non-3s he took per game. But if he took 15 shots, and if he will get 16 shots on average, I'd shift it around so he takes 2-2.5 more 3 pointers a game and replaces long 2s.
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Yin is right:
Health
More 3's
Defense

rest is noise
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

There's no such thing as a sure thing but I'd say it's pretty much a sure thing that he increases his FGA, including 3PA, while getting higher quality attempts more often as well as increasing his FT%. 20+ppg is well within reach. Last season he averaged 22 when he had at least 16 FGA (15 games) and he only hit 11 3s total over that span. 19.6 PPG in 5 games with exactly 16 attempts.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

I don't know the big need to trade for a superstar when there is already four that can develop into stars. With a couple more possible solid rotation players.

Ingram has the best chance of turning into a Durant or PG type of player. If he can get his shooting to elite he will be there.
The same thing for Lonzo. Lonzo has elite PG skills. But his shot is broken. But it can be fixed just like Ingram is improving. He has to accept that working on it will make him a superstar.

Kuzma has superstar shooting skills. But as they say his defense can be improved. But it is not that far away.
Josh Hart is a solid rotation player and a winner. Much like the Fisher type who will hit the big shot.

And this year they have the best mentors in Lebron and Rondo.

Would consider hiring Kobe as a shooting coach.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ingram has the best chance of turning into a Durant or PG type of player.

Pretty big divide b/w KD/PG.

I've never understood why people think BI/KD has any comparison other than they are both insanely long and skinny. They play nothing alike IMO.
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I've never understood why people think BI/KD has any comparison other than they are both insanely long and skinny. They play nothing alike IMO.

Yeah, I've never agreed with the KD comparisons. How do you feel about the comparisons with PG?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Ingram was the number 2 pick in a draft. He must have shown something.

The Lakers were lucky enough to have 3 number 2 picks.
DLO was a strikeout. But still can make it.
They have two more strikes.
Have to give them time to develop.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I've never agreed with the KD comparisons. How do you feel about the comparisons with PG?

I don't see it. PG was always a pretty stout defender. BI has some tools but defense wasn't exactly his calling card. BI has a lot of time though and I'm excited about him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

We will be fortunate if Ingram develops into a player close to PG. PG’s role of second offensive option who can defend on a contending team is something we could use.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

I don't think DLO is a strikeout b/c he helped us shed Moz (huge), have Brook for a year (helping us win 35 games), and a 1st round pick that we used to draft Kuz. I still think the kid can put it together.

Now, someone like Okafor, that's a strikeout. 76ers literally got nothing for him. IIRC they had to include a 2nd rounder to trade him.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We will be fortunate if Ingram develops into a player close to PG. PG’s role of second offensive option who can defend on a contending team is something we could use.

For the amount of money PG is making, he better be a second offensive option who can defend on a contending team. I never thought he'd be a great alpha which is why he was never my first choice on my free agent wishlist for that much money (in fact before Lebron ever became a target I was on the "let the kids grow together" bandwagon).

That said, we don't have to worry about that with Ingram because if he doesn't develop into that, then he's not getting paid that money yet. We have the luxury of talented young guys and vets on really great deals, we have a lot of value for what we are paying right now. It's perfect.

If we face OKC and Ingram manages to give PG fits the same way Joe Ingles completely owned him for Utah, then that is amazing value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

pokoy wrote:
For the amount of money PG is making, he better be a second offensive option who can defend on a contending team. I never thought he'd be a great alpha which is why he was never my first choice on my free agent wishlist for that much money (in fact before Lebron ever became a target I was on the "let the kids grow together" bandwagon).

That said, we don't have to worry about that with Ingram because if he doesn't develop into that, then he's not getting paid that money yet. We have the luxury of talented young guys and vets on really great deals, we have a lot of value for what we are paying right now. It's perfect.

If we face OKC and Ingram manages to give PG fits the same way Joe Ingles completely owned him for Utah, then that is amazing value.

Scientists say that the universe is full of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.--Unknown
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Ingram is someone who I can see coming up big under pressure, when the Thunder needed Paul George to step up in Game 6 he completely layed an egg, the same guy who whined when CJ Miles took the last shot in the playoffs when PG was playing for the Pacers, Ingram has more intangibles to be apart of a title team.
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Ingram won't have to do alot of playmaking this season with Lonzo, Rondo, and Lebron on the roster.
Which is fine, he's well suited to be a finisher. He's a free throw magnet and uses his length well around the basket.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't see it. PG was always a pretty stout defender. BI has some tools but defense wasn't exactly his calling card. BI has a lot of time though and I'm excited about him.

When he was drafted he actually had the reputation of being a very good defender. That was a big part of his upside as a prospect. To this point it just hasn't translated in his pro career. He still has to learn to use his length to his advantage. But I'm more confident he’ll get there with high basketball IQ guys like LeBron and Rondo shepherding his development now.

- John Piper
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

I think it is a SHAME when you have to give up second picks in the draft to get rid of a player that you HIRED at big money. This is not good. It is incompetence.

Ingram has his own unique skill set. But even Durant and PG had to have time to grow. Lets give Ingram and Ball their chance to grow.

But don't want the Lakers to spend their time giving up second draft picks to get rid of players that they hired.

Quote:

laker50 wrote:

I don't think DLO is a strikeout b/c he helped us shed Moz (huge), have Brook for a year (helping us win 35 games), and a 1st round pick that we used to draft Kuz. I still think the kid can put it together.

Now, someone like Okafor, that's a strikeout. 76ers literally got nothing for him. IIRC they had to include a 2nd rounder to trade him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1140, 1141, 1142 ... 1150, 1151, 1152  Next
Page 1141 of 1152
Jump to: