OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1217, 1218, 1219 ... 1511, 1512, 1513  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Great game by BI. But we need to see the 3s from him too. If he can continue improving his drive game so he can pick up fouls, while shooting 3-3.5 3s a game at a 35% (at least) clip, he can be a 20ppg scorer this year.


The only three he made was probably the most difficult three he's attempted this entire preseason. The main difference was that you could tell BI was looking to let that (bleep) fly while the pass was coming to him.

Another thing I noticed with both Lonzo (from his huge sample size of 2) last night and BI this entire preseason is that they seem to have different forms while catching and shooting rather then when pulling up off the dribble. Lonzo I think needs to be attempting (and making) both types of shots but I think Ingram should stick to catch and shoot from the three. I think he'll start attempting more once our offense improves and the passes get around faster leading to more open threes.

He's taken two corner threes all preseason. He's hit 1 of 2. That's unacceptable and it's on Luke.


Why is that "unacceptable"?


I'm not sure about unacceptable but Ingram was at his best from the three in the corner last season if I remember correctly. For a guy that's trying to establish a three, in the preseason, they should probably try getting him that shot.

But placing an offensive system around Lebron is the priority rather then getting the young core going which makes sense. Luke can only do so much, Ingram needs to get to the spots he feels comfortable and trust that Lebron, Rondo and Lonzo will get him the ball if he's open.

It's a work in progress

Thank you, that was well-stated. And not just for Ingram's benefit, but the entire team would benefit from an increased volume of corner threes from players who have a reasonable chance of making them (basically everyone not named McGee or Zubac).
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 5022

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

All of his 3rd qtr points came with ball in his hands and LeBron sitting.

Yinoma is right, he needs to start taking more 3's. If not preseason then when is he going to experiment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 11735

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

Ingram should be able to hustle his way to 20 ppg - 3/4 buckets on drives, 3/4 in transition, 6-8 FTs, 1-2 lobs off set plays.

Not concerned about the 3 - if the team plays D and runs, points will come.
_________________
Suck it, whiners. I have TWC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.


You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Ingram should be able to hustle his way to 20 ppg - 3/4 buckets on drives, 3/4 in transition, 6-8 FTs, 1-2 lobs off set plays.

Not concerned about the 3 - if the team plays D and runs, points will come.


So basically DRoz style of play?

If DRoz had BI's defensive energy/length, and shot 3s, he would be fantastic.

I hope BI doesn't go the way of DRoz offensively though. Be a threat from 3 which I think he can.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
All of his 3rd qtr points came with ball in his hands and LeBron sitting.

Yinoma is right, he needs to start taking more 3's. If not preseason then when is he going to experiment.

.
In the first game the bulk of his points came without the ball in his hands and playing off of LeBron.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 5022

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
All of his 3rd qtr points came with ball in his hands and LeBron sitting.

Yinoma is right, he needs to start taking more 3's. If not preseason then when is he going to experiment.

.
In the first game the bulk of his points came without the ball in his hands and playing off of LeBron.


I wAs talking about yesterday's game🤷🏼‍♂️
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.


You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.


I was responding to a post about Ingram. There's no one else on the team who people insist needs to shoot more 3s.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.


You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.


I was responding to a post about Ingram. There's no one else on the team who people insist needs to shoot more 3s.


If he is going to depend on drawing fouls like that in a playoff, then I have some DRoz tape to show you.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
All of his 3rd qtr points came with ball in his hands and LeBron sitting.

Yinoma is right, he needs to start taking more 3's. If not preseason then when is he going to experiment.

.
In the first game the bulk of his points came without the ball in his hands and playing off of LeBron.


I wAs talking about yesterday's game🤷🏼‍♂️


You were implying that he only scored as much as he did because LeBron was sitting, no?
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 1599

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

We'll let the Pelican worry about his three point shooting. Not our problem.
_________________
“There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.” ―Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 11735

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Ingram should be able to hustle his way to 20 ppg - 3/4 buckets on drives, 3/4 in transition, 6-8 FTs, 1-2 lobs off set plays.

Not concerned about the 3 - if the team plays D and runs, points will come.


So basically DRoz style of play?

If DRoz had BI's defensive energy/length, and shot 3s, he would be fantastic.

I hope BI doesn't go the way of DRoz offensively though. Be a threat from 3 which I think he can.


I'm not suggesting he abandon the 3 - just that he's a scorer, not a shooter. I don't think he should be another guy who just runs down the floor and camps behind the arc. Rather than a higher volume Ariza, a more efficient Pierce.
_________________
Suck it, whiners. I have TWC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 7389

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

I think if Ingram scores a lot of points on drives to the rim and drawing contact, it will help relax him so that he can make his threes. Ingram, like Lonzo is very talented but also a little mentally fragile where if he misses a few shots his offensive play starts to suffer. Hopefully Lonzo with his added strength will also be able to make more drives as this would help his three ball as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 11735

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

We'll let the Pelican worry about his three point shooting. Not our problem.


AD package is Kuz/Hart/Lance/Rondo and a gently used pair of Dr. J's.
_________________
Suck it, whiners. I have TWC!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Ingram should be able to hustle his way to 20 ppg - 3/4 buckets on drives, 3/4 in transition, 6-8 FTs, 1-2 lobs off set plays.

Not concerned about the 3 - if the team plays D and runs, points will come.


So basically DRoz style of play?

If DRoz had BI's defensive energy/length, and shot 3s, he would be fantastic.

I hope BI doesn't go the way of DRoz offensively though. Be a threat from 3 which I think he can.


I'm not suggesting he abandon the 3 - just that he's a scorer, not a shooter. I don't think he should be another guy who just runs down the floor and camps behind the arc. Rather than a higher volume Ariza, a more efficient Pierce.


I don't think anyone is saying that he be a spot up guy, b/c having him be able to create off the dribble and attack the rim is nice.

My point is that the memo will get out to the league that BI doesn't like to shoot 3s and defenses will adjust accordingly. By making 1.5-2 3s a game it would actually diversify his offensive portfolio.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 17390

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.


You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.

There's also the ancillary benefit of spacing for his teammates if opposing teams have to keep a man on Ingram behind the arc.
_________________
Banana Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.


Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.


You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.


You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.

There's also the ancillary benefit of spacing for his teammates if opposing teams have to keep a man on Ingram behind the arc.


Plus, imagine the drives that can come from a faked 3 point shot. Right now I don't think teams believe BI is taking a 3 when given the opportunity. They will start giving him space to take away the drive.

I want him to punish teams for that.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 60368
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

I think once teams start respecting his off-ball baseline cuts, he'll have more open corner 3s down the line.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Jarrett Culver, Ky Bowman, Jontay Porter, Bruno Fernando, Shamorie Ponds, Miye Oni, Jalen Hudson, Lindell Wigginton, PJ Washington, Matisse Thybulle, Cam Johnson, Carson Edwards, Lugentz Dort, Admiral Schofield @bball-index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 31972
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

I dont think he regresses from last year. I expect to see at least some improvement from 3. Even if he only slightly improved from 3, while maintaining everything else we have seen over the preseason, you are talking about a really improved player.

Besides, I think this team will look very different once the regular season starts, making no mention of 10-20 games into the season. We already saw some hints of that last night.
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

I'm really pleased with his defensive energy. Finally starting to put that length with better point of attack stopping (though Curry gives EVERYONE trouble).
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9811

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Keep seeing Dave Chapelle's Rick James imitation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

There's also the ancillary benefit of spacing for his teammates if opposing teams have to keep a man on Ingram behind the arc.


yinoma2001 wrote:

Plus, imagine the drives that can come from a faked 3 point shot. Right now I don't think teams believe BI is taking a 3 when given the opportunity. They will start giving him space to take away the drive.

I want him to punish teams for that.


There was a defender right in Ingram's face on both 3 attempts last night and just about every 3 he's attempted in preseason. I haven't seen guys daring him to shoot and taking away spacing like you guys are saying.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."


Last edited by manlisten on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 96152
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

There's also the ancillary benefit of spacing for his teammates if opposing teams have to keep a man on Ingram behind the arc.


There was a defender right in Ingram's face on both 3 attempts last night and just about every 3 he's attempted in preseason. I haven't seen guys daring him to shoot and taking away spacing like you guys are saying.


I'm not so sure about that. He's had space but he likes to rear back and take it to the rim.

As teams scout players in earnest during the season that trend would be noticed. It's fixable and he shot 39% on limited makes last year.
_________________
Lakers most hated list: 1) Celtics; 2) Mintz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 31972
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Another thing we have seen in the two games where Ingram scored a lot.... how quickly and silently he got those points. It didn't seem like he worked for them that much. That's that getting to the line a bunch does for you. Best scorers get to the line so much that you look up at some point in the game and they suddenly have 20+ points.
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1217, 1218, 1219 ... 1511, 1512, 1513  Next
Page 1218 of 1513
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB