OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Yong wrote:
dao wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:
I hope he keeps the starting position once Nick & Dlo are back.

Hope so too. He definitely deserves it over Deng on both ends of the court.

That and Lou Will and Clarkson hardly ever giving him the ball makes it even more blatant. DLO actually likes to share the damm ball.

That's what I say. His offense would be much more utilized with the starters and Deng wouldn't be needed to score much off the bench with Lou and Jordan handling the load plus he would be if it from playing vs the opposing bench.

We think alike. I've been saying the same thing for a whIle too. And maybe, just MAYBE Deng might become a better player against opponent's 2nd units.
how sad. We have to hope that our 80 million dollar free agent can be at least average off the bench. But yeah, I think it's time to start Ingram over him.

Inexplicable signing. I rather we had not signed anyone.

Expect we have to reach the salary floor so that wasn't an option.

no, if you don't reach the salary floor you just pay a small-moderate fine, it's not bad
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:

Inexplicable? Sure, if you assume the Lakers had a crystal ball to expect Deng to drop off so severely
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject:

I think he's looking better athletically, and that light is starting to shine through his holes occasionally, and he's able to flash.

This is a kid who most didn't think was quick enough to guard SGs in the NBA this year - that's a serious indictment of a SFs game, if he's not mobile enough guard 'wings' in general, because that's truly valuable. The DraftExpress guy and GT both thought he'd eventually be a PF because of this lack of quickness.
I think when some disparage his skill level, they don't care to make the distinction between actual skill, and quickness - which is kind of like the glue that enables ballhandling to be productive. It's ok to not delineate the two, because it's an 'effective handle' is truly what's important - BUT, I will say, Ingram has very nice ball handling moves for a 19 year old wing, although they've been completely stifled by his lack of quickness/weight on any given drive, making the 'skill' all for not.

Recently he's finishing layups off of one leg pretty consistently and gracefully, and he's also utilizing more twitch while dribbling/navigating/attacking - look at him with the ball last game vs. the Bulls in the 2nd Quarter. he was QUICK. at 11:00 he drove and got fouled, at 5:40 he did a quick crossback for a jumper (I believe he was moving quicker than he's ready to, so he proceeded to basically airball the wide open jumper he manifested ; and then at 3:20 he beat a PG off the dribble and attacked the rim.
The DraftExpress guy agreed that he's getting quicker now......
http://gph.is/1MdlVxE?tc=1 the sauce, it's a'cookin !
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

^ 5 months of NBA training is enough to make improvements. But there's a lot to just the pace a player chooses to play at - a lot of players in college can play at a coast pace, or a 'slow-mo' pace. DLo said last year, he had to start quickening his pace, and Kyle Anderson no longer plays in his slow-mo pace(it was on purpose). Ingram realizes he has to go hard/quick out there, and he looks better for it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject:

Not sure it's his fault or his teammate's, but he'll not switch when it seems like his teammate is expecting to on defensive screens.

Almost every game I see his teammate's man get an open layup because his teammate switched and BI didn't.

Or is it just me?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject:

One thing to note, the coaches have been working with Ingram going off one foot with more confidence as it was cited as a weakness by our favorite Christopher Walken sounding assistant

If you notice his first two takes to the basket he finishes much fluidly, are both off one foot. Much better control off it than trying to gather and square up.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

'Very solid' Ingram a bright spot in Lakers' loss

Quote:
there’s a silver lining for the Lakers in their spate of injuries lately, it’s that it’s afforded rookie Brandon Ingram the opportunity for more experience.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20161202-story.html
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

He's averaging 8/2/3 while playing elite D.

Those numbers are gonna grow and grow when he gets consistent mins I won't be shocked if he finishes the season with 15/4/3 stat line. Then the following year he will blossom into a 20+ scorer.
mj32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He's averaging 8/2/3 while playing elite D.

Those numbers are gonna grow and grow when he gets consistent mins I won't be shocked if he finishes the season with 15/4/3 stat line. Then the following year he will blossom into a 20+ scorer.

I'd expect him to have those stats next season. 10.5/4/2 is more realistic for this year.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Whomever said before we drafted Ingram that he was going to be more like Tayshaun Prince than a Kevin Durant, it seems that way at least right now

The statement said ceiling. That's outrageous. As a first year comp that isn't bad.

That was me. I said Durant as a ceiling, Tayshaun as a floor when we first drafted him. I also said he will be our best defender by the end of the season, a statement I stand by still.

He is only 19 yrs. old, so it is going to be a while until we know truly know how good this kid is going to be. We have six years of development ahead of us until he is in his prime.

The future is bright fam.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."

Last edited by Lakersneuron on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

I think the last 6 minutes of the game had him, Huertas, Robinson, Nance and MWP...With THAT lineup, he should have been the main offensive option for every possession...Barely touched the ball.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

The most encouraging thing was that his finishes in the lane at the basket were off one foot. Much better control because of that.

Hopefully he gets more confident off one foot as they continue to work on it.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I think the last 6 minutes of the game had him, Huertas, Robinson, Nance and MWP...With THAT lineup, he should have been the main offensive option for every possession...Barely touched the ball.

When you are 19, one of the youngest players in the league, you are going to defer to your teammates. In the future, he is going to demand / get the ball and go to work. Book it.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
dao wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

That and Lou Will and Clarkson hardly ever giving him the ball makes it even more blatant. DLO actually likes to share the damm ball.

That's what I say. His offense would be much more utilized with the starters and Deng wouldn't be needed to score much off the bench with Lou and Jordan handling the load plus he would be if it from playing vs the opposing bench.

We think alike. I've been saying the same thing for a whIle too. And maybe, just MAYBE Deng might become a better player against opponent's 2nd units.
how sad. We have to hope that our 80 million dollar free agent can be at least average off the bench. But yeah, I think it's time to start Ingram over him.

Well that wasn't an option, so there is that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Yong wrote:
dao wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:
Megaton wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

Expect we have to reach the salary floor so that wasn't an option.

no, if you don't reach the salary floor you just pay a small-moderate fine, it's not bad

It is bad and it is stupid. Why not use that money to try to improve the team? Not doing so would be something to really whine and PMS about. Just a dumb idea.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

You dont GET money, you're alloowed to spend money.

And it makes sense to have spent that money. What we ended up spending it on, looks like a mistake in hindsight.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Based on a very shot period of time. I understand fan impatience even if I detest it, but Deng is here, let's see what happens in the future. His defense is rounding out pretty well, we an be happy for that. And Ingram has given him a lot of credit for helping him develop, we can be happy about that. I know it is asking too much not to be a creature of the moment, but can't we just enjoy how this team is performing?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Based on a very shot period of time. I understand fan impatience even if I detest it, but Deng is here, let's see what happens in the future. His defense is rounding out pretty well, we an be happy for that. And Ingram has given him a lot of credit for helping him develop, we can be happy about that. I know it is asking too much not to be a creature of the moment, but can't we just enjoy how this team is performing?

Being frustrated with Luol Deng's play, or lack thereof, and enjoying how this team is performing are mutually exclusive.

Just like last year but in reverse. I enjoyed DLO's play even though I was frustrated with how the team was performing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
^ 5 months of NBA training is enough to make improvements. But there's a lot to just the pace a player chooses to play at - a lot of players in college can play at a coast pace, or a 'slow-mo' pace. DLo said last year, he had to start quickening his pace, and Kyle Anderson no longer plays in his slow-mo pace(it was on purpose). Ingram realizes he has to go hard/quick out there, and he looks better for it.

He has looked a lot better recently.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He has looked a lot better recently.

right? I really think the core of his struggles were/are athleticism based. Like I said, he's a guy who we didn't think would be quick enough to guard SGs, and also struggled jumping off one leg... These are things that he can and is fixing, though. So I'm not disccouraged at all - his NBA process runs paralell to him becoming a man
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

love his demeanor. quiet but very swagoliscuous nontheless. His walk reminded me of Kobe's going to the bench at the end of the quarter...I'm trying to see greatness!

Catching a nice rhythm offensively the last couple games(1st Q tonight so far)

He has a chance to be a great post player, weird as that might sound at his weight. He has a great feel with his back to the basket - much better than say Andrew Wiggins who takes a lot of bad fades
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Sadly, he played like a total coward tonight. His passiveness hurt this team tremendously on offense. Especially when his passiveness turned into bad turnovers.

When DLO, Young, Nance, etc are all out, Ingram had to be the one to step up. I thought last game was the game where he finally got the confidence to shoot as much a shot he can. Sadly, he played like he's back to square 1.

Ingram is pissing me off because he has so much talent and skill already and could be scoring 15+ if he was aggressive like DLO, but he flat out just refuses to do anything with the ball 85% of the time when he gets it. He's playing scared.

I know he's a 19 year old kid, but grow a damn backbone. You're a (bleep) good player, act like it. Don't be a Wesley Johnson.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

He's got a height advantage over the defensive player most games, but he's afraid to post up because he lacks the strength. That will fix itself.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
He's got a height advantage over the defensive player most games, but he's afraid to post up because he lacks the strength. That will fix itself.

Posting up? Try not even looking to move with the ball. Besides the times when he brings the ball up and gets rid of it as soon as he passes half court, he stands there for 2 seconds, a teammate setting a screen for him, and gets rid of it anyway.

Enough of that already. CREATE! That's what he's good at. Make a move. Just because he's skinny shouldn't mean he can't make any moves.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Let's see how he does after the all-star break. That's when Russell's game made a huge leap. Remember we're only 22 games in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 213 of 1885
Jump to: