OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Trudell: Ingram said Magic spoke to him about attacking rim harder, going right into contact, focusing on finishing. He was good in the paint today. 37 mins ago – via Twitter LakersReporter

Quote:
Bob Garcia: Luke Walton called Brandon Ingram “one of the few bright spots” today against #spurs and says he “stepped his own game up.” #Lakers
1 hour ago – via Twitter bgarcia90

Last edited by pio2u on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
zePokar wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The problem is, I don't trust our player development as much as the Spurs. You put Ingram on the Spurs and he will be a superstar.

This is a new coaching staff so I'm going to give them more time to prove you are wrong, but you may be right about that.

Really?

Ingram on the Spurs would look like a superstar?

The Spurs' development coaching is that much miles ahead of the Lakers?

I think he means he would become a superstar for sure.

If Ingram was on the Spurs he'd be hitting shots?

wat

Ingram currently sucks. But if he was getting tutelage from the Spurs development coaches instead, then he'd be looking like a future superstar?

One of his biggest flaws is that he can't hit shots at all. Terrible inefficiency. So if he was on the Spurs, he'd be hitting shots?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Jeez man, nevermind.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Jeez man, nevermind.

Well, what? I'm serious. Is there something the Spurs would be doing that the Lakers aren't doing? I know they have Engelland and all.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I think he means that if Ingram was a Spur he would for sure end up a superstar in the future because their player development is top notch and proven where as ours isn't.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The problem is, I don't trust our player development as much as the Spurs. You put Ingram on the Spurs and he will be a superstar.

This is a new coaching staff so I'm going to give them more time to prove you are wrong, but you may be right about that.

Really?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: They have one of the best shooting coaches in all of existence (Chip Engelland).

In terms of Luke vs Pop, I'd bet money that Pop wouldn't have Ingram camping at the three point line the way Luke is doing. Better utilization means having him attack smaller guys, letting him post-up more. I saw very little of that.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Jeez man, nevermind.

Well, what? I'm serious. Is there something the Spurs would be doing that the Lakers aren't doing? I know they have Engelland and all.

Yes. See Kawhi Leonard as the prototype. Also Tony Parker comes to mind.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
Best laker on the floor tonight .. I love. How he is starting to assert himself..

Dlo was good today too.

But, it was good to see Ingram scoring well on Leonard - one of the best wing defenders in the game

Clarkson had a good game too. Dlo's supporters like to talk about a double standard, but Clarkson finished the game with almost the same stats than Dlo, yet some posters were calling him unwatchable. I'd call it a double standard, but for me those three guys had a good game and just like every player they did some mistakes, but overall good effort. Spurs unfortunately killed our bigs, Nance, Zubac, Julius and Black were not factors at all.

Did you watch the game? The team was a lot worse with Clarkson running the point. Don you just make false comments to bait fans to say something stupid back to your stupid remarks?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Jeez man, nevermind.

Yes. See Kawhi Leonard as the prototype. Also Tony Parker comes to mind.

Man, Ingram's biggest problem is that he can't his the broad side of a barn as a projected 3&D player and that he's as strong as a baby deer. Being on the Spurs instead of the Lakers helps him with this? Outside of us not having Engelland, Ingram just needs time and hopefully better karma than a lot of the failed number 2 overall picks.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
I think he means that if Ingram was a Spur he would for sure end up a superstar in the future because their player development is top notch and proven where as ours isn't.

Sure, if you believe in a fantasy world that ignores Jordan Clarkson's development as a second round pick, has Kyle Anderson making all-star games, ignores former Spurs 1st round draft picks like NBA superstars Tiago Splitter (#20, 2007) and James Anderson (#20, 2010), and have somehow formed the opinion that DeJounte Murray will make an all-nba rookie team this year while being picked earlier than "non-standount" Zubac.

Other than, arguably, current Raptor Cory Joseph and Kawhi Leonard, I'm not sure who the Spurs have really "developed" over the last decade. I guess you can count George Hill, who they then traded for Leonard. And, if you're going to count Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, then you have to count guys like Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum too.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634107-how-an-nba-shot-whisperer-transformed-kawhi-leonard-into-a-3-point-fire-hazard

Last edited by LakerLogic on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Sure, if you believe in a fantasy world that ignores Jordan Clarkson's development as a second round pick, has Kyle Anderson making all-star games, ignores former Spurs 1st round draft picks like NBA superstars Tiago Splitter (#20, 2007) and James Anderson (#20, 2010), and have somehow formed the opinion that DeJounte Murray will make an all-nba rookie team this year while being picked earlier than "non-standount" Zubac.

Other than, arguably, current Raptor Cory Joseph and Kawhi Leonard, I'm not sure who the Spurs have really "developed" over the last decade. I guess you can count George Hill, who they then traded for Leonard. And, if you're going to count Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, then you have to count guys like Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum too.

So you don't think their player development is top notch and one of the best in the league ?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Really?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: They have one of the best shooting coaches in all of existence (Chip Engelland).

In terms of Luke vs Pop, I'd bet money that Pop wouldn't have Ingram camping at the three point line the way Luke is doing. Better utilization means having him attack smaller guys, letting him post-up more. I saw very little of that.

Pop never would have probably put the ball in Ingram's hands to have a ball handling upbringing in the league either, which has done wonders for Ingram handling the ball and having confidence in it during his rookie season.

Popovich would never give Brandon that opportunity as a rookie.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:

Did you watch the game? The team was a lot worse with Clarkson running the point. Don you just make false comments to bait fans to say something stupid back to your stupid remarks?

The dude that calls himself Russell1 outside Dlo's thread.

Welcome young dude.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
So you don't think their player development is top notch and one of the best in the league ?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think their front office and coaching staff (led by Pop) is amongst the best in the league. They've developed Kawhi Leonard, but we turned Andrew Bynum from a pudgy deer in the headlights into arguably the best center in the league (the last year he played for us). In the past decade (well after they drafted Duncan/Ginobili/Parker), the Spurs have had success in the past by bringing in the right players and creating the right system, not developing their own players (outside of Leonard).

Also, remember, that Leonard developed along aging vets Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, allowing him the patience to pick and choose his spots without any pressure. My guess is that sped up his development, as it would with any player regardless of the organization.

Point is that there is no reason to believe the Spurs are any more successful at developing players than we are. The difference is that that the Spurs have the benefit of time and hindsight when it comes to Leonard, while we are still in the middle of it and, thus, subject to unreasonable impatience as a result. There is no reason to believe that in another three years, Ingram won't be our Leonard... making no mention of how Randle, Russell, Nance, Zubac and/or Clarkson develop between now and then.

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think their front office and coaching staff (led by Pop) is amongst the best in the league. They've developed Kawhi Leonard, but we turned Andrew Bynum from a pudgy deer in the headlights into arguably the best center in the league (the last year he played for us). In the past decade (well after they drafted Duncan/Ginobili/Parker), the Spurs have had success in the past by bringing in the right players and creating the right system, not developing their own players (outside of Leonard).

Point is that there is no reason to believe the Spurs are any more successful at developing players than we are. The difference is that that the Spurs have the benefit of time and hindsight when it comes to Leonard, while we are still in the middle of it and, thus, subject to unreasonable impatience as a result. There is no reason to believe that in another three years, Ingram won't be our Leonard... making no mention of how Randle, Russell, Nance, Zubac and/or Clarkson develop between now and then.

LakerSanity, about Bynum if I remember it was after hiring a personal trainer that he made a jump. Working with Kareem the GOAT also helps. I'm not calling out our staff because they just arrived, but Spurs are running a certified program for decades, I'm a bit jealous about their franchise culture.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Russell1 wrote:

The dude that calls himself Russell1 outside Dlo's thread.

Welcome young dude.

What does my username have to do with where I can post?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
zePokar wrote:

LakerSanity, about Bynum if I remember it was after hiring a personal trainer that he made a jump. Working with Kareem the GOAT also helps. I'm not calling out our staff because they just arrived, but Spurs are running a certified program for decades, I'm a bit jealous about their franchise culture.

Bynum made the Jump as he aged. He came in like at 17. He matured and naturally started getting better. The trainer helped, but the skills were already there.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Re: Spurs... I'm not talking about Franchise Culture. I'm talking about developing a home grown player. I'm sure Leonard, or anyone else, does work on their own too. We just know more about the Lakers and their players than we do about other teams' players. Point is, the Lakers have done fine in developing players. In fact, it seems to be a strong suit. The problems we have seem to be with everything else.

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Re: Spurs... I'm not talking about Franchise Culture. I'm talking about developing a home grown player. I'm sure Leonard, or anyone else, does work on their own too. We just know more about the Lakers and their players than we do about other teams' players. Point is, the Lakers have done fine in developing players. In fact, it seems to be a strong suit. The problems we have seem to be with everything else.

It has something to do with the culture because they have a system in place. I doesn't matter if they pick someone in DLeague, in free agency or if they draft the player, but everybody seems to buy the system and for young players it may be easier to develop trusting the process. We still have to build such environment, something Luke may start to do.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It has something to do with the culture because they have a system in place. I doesn't matter if they pick someone in DLeague, in free agency or if they draft the player, but everybody seems to buy the system and for young players it may be easier to develop trusting the process. We still have to build such environment, something Luke may start to do.

See how well that system of developing and making role players look good looks without a Tim Duncan, Manu, TP, Leonard, or a Gasol. They have had good players, and all star players for a long time. Those role players wouldn't look as good without the great players they have. Not hard to figure out. Lakers had good role players during the championship years, and they sicker when they were put on bad t3ams.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

There is a reason why Steve Kerr wanted to bring Chip to the Warriors. Best shooting coach in the game. The point was, Ingram's shot is a big weakness right now and it is a fundamentals problem.

Transforming Leonard's shot was a miracle by itself. He also transformed Parker's shooting. He helped develop Grant Hill's mid-range game and a number of other players.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
There is a reason why Steve Kerr wanted to bring Chip to the Warriors. Best shooting coach in the game. The point was, Ingram's shot is a big weakness right now and it is a fundamentals problem.

Transforming Leonard's shot was a miracle by itself. He also transformed Parker's shooting. He helped develop Grant Hill's mid-range game and a number of other players.

For sure. I do think Engelland is a major asset the Spurs have that we don't. I would like the Lakers to hire a shooting coach almost as much as a defensive coordinator this offseason.

I'm just calling into question that the Spurs are so much farther ahead in terms of player development than the Lakers that Ingram would look more like a future superstar than he would here in his first year. The Lakers have been fine at developing their own talent.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

See how well that system of developing and making role players look good looks without a Tim Duncan, Manu, TP, Leonard, or a Gasol. They have had good players, and all star players for a long time. Those role players wouldn't look as good without the great players they have. Not hard to figure out. Lakers had good role players during the championship years, and they sicker when they were put on bad t3ams.

I agree
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like he had a good offensive game today, how was his defense?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 352 of 1885
Jump to: