OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

he needs to get his motor running high before games, gotta bring more intensity whenever hes on the court, also needs to shed some weight and work on that mobility.

a lot of work ahead of him
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

as a 20yo off the bench, he'll be fine. we all wish he could be better like how he did last year, but its only been 1.5wks of 5v5 basketball. he's like 6yrs from his prime
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

He doesn't fit with the new style of play. Needs quicker hands and feet. Looks like he got slower over 4 mos. he might go back to D league if he doesn't get better by preseason.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
He doesn't fit with the new style of play. Needs quicker hands and feet. Looks like he got slower over 4 mos. he might go back to D league if he doesn't get better by preseason.

Def gonna spend more time in the g league imo

No need for 2 slow 7 footers in the same lineup all season. He will play during stretches and prolly get minutes towards the end of the season but I think he's the odd man out of the rotation based on need and what we have seen so far in SL.

Kuzma deserves to be in the rotation and we need a small ball center. Slide randle or nance over and that opens up minutes at the 4.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:

Because the Lakers drafted so well it gives them options. I like Zu but in reality he's probably a better fit on a team like Memphis. In a system that really uses a more traditional big man I think he'll do really well.

He could end up being a player used in a trade as a sweetner to make cap space for 2018...and while that would be a loss a talent given the different line up options we have with bigs...Lopez, Randle, Nance, Bryant even, it would be a loss the Lakers could take in the near term if it really provides in the long term
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

IDK- GSW had use for a player like Bogut for about 20 minutes a game.

You need to have at least one really big guy on the team in case the other team has a bruiser too. Lopez is obviously that guy for us now, but I am not sure that we will want to keep him at his price, so Zu could be our Bogut.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

With Lonzo, we might not exactly play like GS. We'll still be fast paced with plenty of fast breaks but Lonzo can PnR or PnP with Brook/Zubac/Bryant (whom all can shoot) whenever he wants
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

If we get LBJ/PG13, we could use Zub as that nominal 20mpg center (he's on a cheap deal).
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

He looked faster in the SPL championship game. I don't think he was prepared for the pace of play. Lonzo and DLO have very contrasting styles - yet they were billed to be similar players.

Now that he knows what is required, I would be shocked to see him show up to camp unprepared. Big Zub doesn't strike me as someone who would shirk a good opportunity.

His size can still provide some rim protection. Randle's might be the backup C when Nance or Kuzma come of the bench, but Zub will get some minutes.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

He looked faster in the SPL championship game. I don't think he was prepared for the pace of play. Lonzo and DLO have very contrasting styles - yet they were billed to be similar players.

Now that he knows what is required, I would be shocked to see him show up to camp unprepared. Big Zub doesn't strike me as someone who would shirk a good opportunity.

His size can still provide some rim protection. Randle's might be the backup C when Nance or Kuzma come of the bench, but Zub will get some minutes.

He looked much faster his last two games IMO, more like he did last season, so that is a good sign.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

He looked much faster his last two games IMO, more like he did last season, so that is a good sign.

he was in the gym since May lifting weights without playing games, off course he needed time to get rolling. not there yet, but by the time season starts he will be ready to perform as he did at the end of last season
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

From ZuBlocka, ZuPac to ZuTrasha.

He's much slower than last season. Looks terribly out of shape despite being overhyped by the media in informal workouts at the Lakers facility. And now he's got this demeanor about him. Like he's a superstar. When he doesn't get the ball he raises his hands and looks around his teammates. Then when he doesn't get the calls, he does the same and looks around the refs. All that early success last year already in his head. He's a role player, he needs to quickly get his feet back on the ground.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

I think Zubac needs to lose whatever weight he gained. Allegedly he has gained muscle to enhance his post game but it hasn't and has just made him look slow and uncoordinated. Right now he needs speed more than he needs strength.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I think Zubac needs to lose whatever weight he gained. Allegedly he has gained muscle to enhance his post game but it hasn't and has just made him look slow and uncoordinated. Right now he needs speed more than he needs strength.

Agree. He was better off with the "baby fat" body from last year. Now he just looks like a slow anchor who gets stuffed by everyone. He looks bigger, but that doesn't seem to be true answer for Zu.

Zu from last year is a weapon, especially with Lonzo. Bring back "baby fat" Zubac.
september7th
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:

He's much slower than last season. Looks terribly out of shape despite being overhyped by the media in informal workouts at the Lakers facility. And now he's got this demeanor about him. Like he's a superstar. When he doesn't get the ball he raises his hands and looks around his teammates. Then when he doesn't get the calls, he does the same and looks around the refs. All that early success last year already in his head. He's a role player, he needs to quickly get his feet back on the ground.

I agree. His feet (ego) needs to get back to the ground & his real feet needs to leap higher than 1 inch. He frustrated the crap outta me during summer league! WhoBac? ZuNot..
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

He needs to be doing lots of sprints and explosive training everyday until the season begins. He looked like Roy Hibbert this past SL. Get him on whatever workout Marc Gasol was on his first couple seasons when he shed his fat and gained lots of mobility.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
He needs to be doing lots of sprints and explosive training everyday until the season begins. He looked like Roy Hibbert this past SL. Get him on whatever workout Marc Gasol was on his first couple seasons when he shed his fat and gained lots of mobility.
sprints and explosive training everyday? Going 100% every single day during training isn't good for the body, especially sprinting.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

september7th wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

I agree. His feet (ego) needs to get back to the ground & his real feet needs to leap higher than 1 inch. He frustrated the crap outta me during summer league! WhoBac? ZuNot..

Zu needs to sign up for that Vert commercial I see before all basketball videos. Maybe he could headbutt the rim like the guy in the commercial does.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Zubac working on his defensive stance
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
september7th wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Zu needs to sign up for that Vert commercial I see before all basketball videos. Maybe he could headbutt the rim like the guy in the commercial does.

the one they give the dude a helmet? he got hops
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

We don't know how the next offseason plays out. If the LBJ and PG13 lotto goes our way, and we then don't resign Lopez, we might need Zubac for starting halves, then use Randle as a small ball center.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Zubac working on his defensive stance

Glad to see he's taking some time off to let his body recover. He's been working all off-season without stopping and his legs looked gone in summer league, in addition to the other personal stuff he was going through his mind didn't look there.

This kind of thing can probably be the best thing for him.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

The thing I noticed in Summer League is how does Zubac with all his experience (1-1/2 years) get SO MANY of his shots blocked by Rookies straight out-a college that will not even make it to the NBA????

anyone?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
sprints and explosive training everyday? Going 100% every single day during training isn't good for the body, especially sprinting.

he was pretty much doing this kind of stuff all off-season since his injury healed. Could have overtrained, because in Summer League it wasn't that he looked out of shape and tired, it was that his legs looked gone. Like he was walking through mud.

The rehab, + the endless training + the personal stuff, probably rolled itself into one. So I am not judging him on Summer League, I've seen people look a lot worse and go on to become all-stars.

Seemed to take him a while to get his footing, but he seemed to get it in the last few summer league games.

People going "he looks so woefully out of shape" weren't looking. He wasn't out of shape at all, and you could even see the physical changes his body was going through. Was a combination of things, but it's the kind of rocky road I'm glad happened in summer league instead of pre-season.

And any and all of you guys that are ready to quit on him/trade him because he didn't look great in summer league, had best not bother jumping back on if he starts to look good in pre-season and during the season as it goes on.

His issue in Summer League wasn't being out of shape, it was his effort, his timing, and it looking like his legs were gone.

To me it was more frustrating to watch him not go for blocks, and then later on against a faster scenario give the effort and go get the block. It showed he was fully capable of doing so, he just didn't seem in an aggressive frame of mind. Perhaps his national team drama and his grandfather dying effected his mind. But he played like a kid whose head wasn't there.

Last edited by MJST on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Guy has proven to be effective last year he was dominating summer league games and contributing in nba games sometimes the same day. With that said summer league struggles surprised me, not sure what is going on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 193 of 290
Jump to: